Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:35 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:13 am This is why I set up the cannon like

Dragon Ball - Z - GT (Battle of gods + ROF kind of messes things up tho but it's branded as Z)

Dragon Ball - Kai - Super/Daima (as of now) - Broly - Super Hero

Z timeline is more Toei focused and the Kai is more Toriyama focused

And then there is the Manga wich is just DB and Super, it's doing it's own thing

Kai frames the Bardock tv special as a prologue, which gets contradicted by Dragon Ball Minus/Super Broli's prologue and keeps hell filler in the Boo saga that doesn't jive with what we know about hell in Resurrection F and Super

I really don't see Super as a sequel to Kai and not Z. Either way there's continuity issues that comes from Toei doing its own thing and then ignoring their own material when they need to line up with what Toriyama does

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:36 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:02 amToriyama just took a concept he liked and went with it.
So like I said then.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:41 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:35 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:13 am This is why I set up the cannon like

Dragon Ball - Z - GT (Battle of gods + ROF kind of messes things up tho but it's branded as Z)

Dragon Ball - Kai - Super/Daima (as of now) - Broly - Super Hero

Z timeline is more Toei focused and the Kai is more Toriyama focused

And then there is the Manga wich is just DB and Super, it's doing it's own thing

Kai frames the Bardock tv special as a prologue, which gets contradicted by Dragon Ball Minus/Super Broli's prologue and keeps hell filler in the Boo saga that doesn't jive with what we know about hell in Resurrection F and Super

I really don't see Super as a sequel to Kai and not Z. Either way there's continuity issues that comes from Toei doing its own thing and then ignoring their own material when they need to line up with what Toriyama does
Yeah if anything Super accomodates the anime continuity with Kid Vegeta having bangs, Yamcha playing baseball, Ginyu still being on Earth, and some other little things. I'd say Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Broly, and Super Hero are the manga continuity while the Super anime is the anime continuity, although it breaks GT.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:18 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:25 amNot really. Besides, Toriyama settled on white when they asked him to draw Karin for the latest movie.
I take that as Toriyama just using the more known visual. King Vegeta appears in Movie 14 exactly as he is in the anime. I don't think that's him necesarily "settling" on anything. Just him randomly cherry picking who gets the manga colors for that occasion.
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:41 amYeah if anything Super accomodates the anime continuity with Kid Vegeta having bangs, (...) I'd say Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Broly, and Super Hero are the manga continuity while the Super anime is the anime continuity
And what say you about the manga continuity of Dragon Ball Super?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:25 pm

supershonen wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:26 am The only thing I have been worried is, what if fans don't like it and it flops like the super hero movie?
Welcome to the forum and I don't want to derail the topic but, Super Hero wasn't actually a flop - it's been widely embraced and even beloved by fans around the world!

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:51 pm

My first impression is that animation looks clean. Still too soon to say if I will like the plot or not, but Toriyama’s involvement in the series is promising. Also, I hope it has an excellent composer. Only sad thing is waiting so much, but luckily I will be very busy until then. :lol:

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:05 pm

DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:11 am I just don't really get why they took the series in this direction when most fans wanted the opposite of it.
You don't get why a series known for subverting expectations since 1984 is once again subverting expectations?

Fuck "the fans". We've already seen what happens when writers not named Toriyama try to cater to dudebros who think Dragon Ball is WWE, and it's all boring, trite, utterly predictable nonsense.

I sincerely advise you to focus less of your effort and attention on trying to "understand" these types of "fans", and more on just giving DB a chance when it thrives at doing what it does best – going in the exact, polar opposite direction of what the masses want.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:05 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:55 pm Goten and Trunks turning into literal babies after everyone groaned about them not growing up for so long is fucking perfect. God bless Akira Toriyama.
Okay, mate. We already understand that you accept anything, even poop served on a plate, as long as it has Akira Toriyama's signature. No need to reinforce that in every post.
Lukmendes wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:38 pm I wonder why exactly DB's manga exclusive stuff just can't be adapted to other medium until the anime uses 'em...
I don't know why people keep repeating this nonsense. Did they forget that the anime came first and was the main product? That the manga initially served only to promote the series? DBS (anime) was never adapted from anything other than the outlines that Toriyama provided to both Toei and Toyotaro. Therefore, they are not obligated to do anything related to Moro, Granola, or anything else. In fact, the only good part about DBD thing is finally ending this discussion: as it is now clear that Toei, Bandai, and Shueisha couldn't care less about this manga, having no mentions of exclusive events that happenned there in any animated media.
ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:49 pm Seriously. It feels like Toriyama is trolling us. We have twelve universes to work with and we've barely left Earth. Is Vegeta EVER going to visit Sadala? Will the managa arcs ever be animated? What the heck are they doing? This is comical levels of disorganized.
Seriously? Toriyama has been trolling the fanbase ever since the serialization of the original manga, that's not news. Don't get me wrong, obviously I would like the franchise to take a different direction, but if even a mediocre movie like Super Hero was "successful", nothing would stop them from taking even more risks in a new animated series where the entire cast are turned into children.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:22 pm

I won't be surprised if the Super Anime never returns.

As it stands now, the Super Anime's ending in ep. 131 was pretty much perfect. It broke the internet, was live-streamed in front of huge crowds, and had the highest stakes imaginable (literally entire Multiverse was at stake, you can't get higher stakes than that).

I don't need Manga-only arcs animated, because they don't look nearly as impressive as the ToP arc.

Episode 131 is a perfect conclusion for Super's main storyline, it pretty much tied up most of the loose ends introduced in Super series (MUI Goku was even implied to have surpassed Beerus in the last episodes of Super). Moro and Granolah arcs are unneeded/unnecessary. So I don't share the disappointment that the Moro and Granolah arcs are currently not getting animated.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:24 pm

In recent years, my interest in my once-beloved franchise had fizzled out, to say the least. The manga's progress was hopelessly slow, and Super Hero couldn't revive my enthusiasm either.

A movie can be an interesting addition to manga and anime, but it can never be the main driving force of Dragon Ball. I personally also liked Super Hero as a film (animation/story) less than Battle of Gods and Broly. But no matter how good the movies are or aren't... Let's admit it, a franchise like Dragon Ball just needs a decent anime.
The premise of the story is a perfectly logical choice in the context of the franchise's 40th anniversary. It goes back to the roots of how it all started: a 'simple' adventure story. But it will also contain elements of DBZ, Super... A mix of everything that has already been there, with a lot of nostalgia (which you can already deduce from the trailer), but hopefully also something new that stands on its own.

As I was bored with the absurd Angelic power levels of Super, the 'back to square one' formula seems refreshing. Although it is not something we have never done before, it now takes a new approach by making all the characters children again.
But I do think that towards the end of this anime there will be another increase in power levels. I certainly expect that in the final battle. But I hope that Toriyama can once again do what he does best when he is at his best: surprise us with a unique story with many unexpected twists. Something that I missed a bit in Super Hero.

I hope that Dragon Ball with Daima makes the connection between Dragon Ball Super and the end of Z. We have already caught a first glimpse of what could possibly be the demon realm. Maybe this explains why we haven't seen them in Super yet. Toriyama may have saved up the Makaiōshin as a final barrier / opponent for ending Z. And to make it an interesting story himself that he certainly wanted to see animated.

Will Dragon Ball Super return as a long-running weekly anime?
Are we finally going to see Moro and Granolah animated?

I actually don't think so. In my opinion, renaming the brand to the name 'Daima' is already a sign that this will not happen again.
Moro and Granolah were already behind us. I would be surprised if they suddenly traveled back in time. They're also not going to waste time on Broly or Super Hero recounts. Or at least I hope not. Toriyama had also said that the manga had some chapters that would not make it into the anime. If I'm being completely honest, these arcs don't have much of a story either. I would prefer that Nozawa's last good years be devoted to something that comes entirely from the hand of the master himself and that effectively offers added value. Although that also offers no certainty, and of course we have to wait and see first.
This series could be a fitting farewell for Nozawa as Goku. But I honestly think that, a la Goku, she will continue to push her limits and continue to do so even after this series.

At last but not least … The 2D-animation, which I greatly prefer above CGI, at least looks promising to say the least.
I certainly consider this something to look forward to with caution.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:35 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:05 pmgiving DB a chance when it thrives at doing what it does best – going in the exact, polar opposite direction of what the masses want.
That's not really true though, is it? Dragon Ball thrived during its original run by doing what the masses wanted.

The Journey to the West parody adventure story the manga started as was very unpopular, so they shifted fighting story more influenced by the very popular Fist of the North Star. Focusing on combat and conflict was so popular the series just kept leaning into that until it ended.

Yeah Toriyama did some spiteful shit, like killing Vegeta off....only to bring him back not long after.

Different fans like different things. Some prefer fights, some prefer adventure, some prefer Goku in the lead role, some prefer Gohan in the lead role. Different fans have been "eating" at different points in time since 2013. Lot of people are elated to see a "no transformations adventure story", just like a lot of people before them were hyped for the Gohan movie; so I'm not sure that this is "against what the masses want".

De-aging Goten and Trunks after finally growing them up seems hilariously spiteful, though. :lol:

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:47 pm

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those situations where it was intended to be a small fun side project to bridge the gap between Super Hero and Super 2. But then everyone loved working on it, it comes out in Japan and becomes a ratings and merchandising phenomenon, and then Toei never gets around to working on Super 2 again.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:51 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:18 pmI take that as Toriyama just using the more known visual.
But there's no reason to make that assumption. What we have is Toriyama having the freedom to decide how he wants the character to look like, and settling on that.
Grimlock wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:18 pmKing Vegeta appears in Movie 14 exactly as he is in the anime. I don't think that's him necesarily "settling" on anything. Just him randomly cherry picking who gets the manga colors for that occasion.
You mean 'Battle of Gods'? Toriyama didn't design King Vegeta for that movie though (or young Vegeta for that matter). He did design him for 'Super: Broly', and it's not the same as Toei's design.

He's not cherry picking, he's giving a design direction and establishing how a character looks like. If he wanted him to look blue, he would be blue. But he chose white. So Karin is white.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:58 pm

Would you say it's too early to start saying goodbye to Beerus, Whis, and all the characters Super has introduced in the last 7 or so years?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:00 pm

Something I forgot to mention is how I found it amusing that the first leak of the Daima footage came from an average fan shouting and lamenting that there was no Super 2, which contrasts with what many of the elitist fans are like on this forum. Those same elitist fans were forced to watch the footage through the eyes of the average Dragon Ball fan and I just love that so much, especially because a lot of you guys have such a snobby "I'm better than you because I'm a purist" mindset when it comes to Dragon Ball.

Also, I already asked who's voicing the younger characters besides Colleen as Goku, but I wonder, is Colleen going to voice both Goku and Gohan in Daima much like Masako most likely is??? I think it would be the first time outside of video games, Colleen will be voicing Goku and Gohan simultaneously (besides flashbacks for Kid Goku in Kai).

And as a GT fan (there's not many of us, but it's gotten more appreciation since Super came out), I better not hear the same people who have died on the hill of "GT sucks because Goku is a kid again" being excited for Daima, which is turning Goku AND the entire cast into kids in a fashion even more egregious than GT.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:07 pm

Zephyr wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:35 pm
Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:05 pmgiving DB a chance when it thrives at doing what it does best – going in the exact, polar opposite direction of what the masses want.
That's not really true though, is it? Dragon Ball thrived during its original run by doing what the masses wanted.

The Journey to the West parody adventure story the manga started as was very unpopular, so they shifted fighting story more influenced by the very popular Fist of the North Star. Focusing on combat and conflict was so popular the series just kept leaning into that until it ended.

Yeah Toriyama did some spiteful shit, like killing Vegeta off....only to bring him back not long after.

Different fans like different things. Some prefer fights, some prefer adventure, some prefer Goku in the lead role, some prefer Gohan in the lead role. Different fans have been "eating" at different points in time since 2013. Lot of people are elated to see a "no transformations adventure story", just like a lot of people before them were hyped for the Gohan movie; so I'm not sure that this is "against what the masses want".

De-aging Goten and Trunks after finally growing them up seems hilariously spiteful, though. :lol:
Yes, thank you. Subverting expectations doesn't make anything good or bad. You can subvert expectations in a good way or a bad way. Just look at the second movie in the Disney Star Wars trilogy. And Toriyama hasn't been subverting expectations with Super like...at all. He's done the opposite, actually. Super has been pandering to fans constantly. He brought Frieza back to life. Twice! This "master of subversion" canonized Broly, a fan favorite who was previously limited to non-canon Z movies. He brought Gohan out of retirement (for the third time so far) by essentially repeating the Android saga. Give me a break.

And the thing is, I wasn't exactly satisfied with the direction Super was headed in either. It hasn't risen to the potential it started with. All of the color-based transformations with little to no explanation or build up really got old. It felt like Toei was jingling keys in front of us, like they thought they needed to introduce a new transformation or two every single arc to keep our attention. But I'd rather they do something more interesting with Super than have them drop it in favor of starting a new series. You don't have to start over from scratch just to do something original.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:09 pm

Kubota 2D recap in Super Hero was amazing and now in DB Daima all those Buu arc scenes look amazing too.

I'm not interested in a remake but... they could definitely pull off something incredible with the right staff. I hope we can watch some of those scenes in full screen. It would be a waste if we don't.

As much as I want DBS back it will be good to see a well planned series with vision and good production. Two things that DBS never had. The adventure side is just the cherry on top.

Some older fans won't like it, but it's inevitable that a lot of new fans will join the fandom.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:22 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:05 pm
DestructoDisc wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:11 am I just don't really get why they took the series in this direction when most fans wanted the opposite of it.
You don't get why a series known for subverting expectations since 1984 is once again subverting expectations?

Fuck "the fans". We've already seen what happens when writers not named Toriyama try to cater to dudebros who think Dragon Ball is WWE, and it's all boring, trite, utterly predictable nonsense.

I sincerely advise you to focus less of your effort and attention on trying to "understand" these types of "fans", and more on just giving DB a chance when it thrives at doing what it does best – going in the exact, polar opposite direction of what the masses want.
Taking one (1) fan (I imagine you meant Toyo-tarou) and filtering him through Toriyama, Victory Uchida, Shueisha publishing, and fuck knows how many layers of ill-gotten nurturing and then saying "This is proof that there is no alternative" makes no sense.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:27 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:58 pm Would you say it's too early to start saying goodbye to Beerus, Whis, and all the characters Super has introduced in the last 7 or so years?
Well, Beerus and Whis kickstarted the new era of Dragon Ball with BoG and that movie turned 10 this year. So, honestly, I don't mind giving them and especially some of the other characters (like Caulifla and Jiren) a break and maybe coming back to them later. Honestly, Beerus and Whis haven't added too much besides being Goku and Vegeta's glorified gym trainers with their world serving as a global gym.

I know naysayers will say "But Whis taught Goku about Ultra Instinct" and "Beerus taught Vegeta about Ultra Ego", but those arcs have finished now. Beerus and Whis no longer serve a purpose in Dragon Ball outside of comedy and hijinks in my opinion, and their appearance ushered in a lot of things I don't like about Dragon Ball, such as an overreliance on godly transformations and concepts.

So yeah, moving on from them and the other Super stuff in my eyes isn't a huge loss. However, I will say that I really was looking forward to Vegeta going to Sadala to meet the other Saiyans and Broly's development, all of which seems secondary now to whatever Toriyama is doing with Daima.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:31 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:07 pm Yes, thank you. Subverting expectations doesn't make anything good or bad. You can subvert expectations in a good way or a bad way. Just look at the second movie in the Disney Star Wars trilogy.
Exactly, a case of subverting in a good way.