"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:41 am

I don't think there's anything to suggest that Daima will be replacing Super. I don't really care about canon (because Toei certainly doesn't) but the only thing that seems quite clear from the trailer is that Daima most likely takes place sometime after Buu saga but before the beginning of Super. So yeah, this feels like a spin-off of another spinoff.

In terms of whether there will be a Black Freeza storyline--I meant there should be? This isn't simply a character with a paint job. Freeza straight up appeared out of nowhere, one-shoted both Goku and Vegeta, both of whom had just received new shiny powerups, and then peaced out. That's kind of a big deal. It also makes sense to have the series come full circle and have the universe be threaten once again by the original big bad.

But it probably won't happen because Super is Super, and dropping the ball narratively seems to be its thing. So who can fucking say?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:29 am

capsulecorp wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:56 pm
emperior wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:22 pm The next manga arc, if there will be one, will likely be a continuation of the Black Freeza storyline.
I think this is unlikely, mostly because there is no Black Freeza "storyline"... its just a new color for an old character. I guess I also expect the Super "brand" to end at issue 100 though, so... we'll see!
It would be weird though to introduce him, talk about him at the beginning of the following arc with Goku and Vegeta training to beat him, and taking Broly with them too just in case.

Ending at chapter 100 would be nice but they will probably keep on milking it with new storylines, because they can.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:36 am

Don't get me wrong, I am going to watch Daima and I am going to enjoy it, but I would have preferred a continuation of Super.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:35 am

I'm actually surprised people are saying Black Freeza is just another recolor with no narrative or characterization involved whatsoever. People can't see beyond forms or PAWA REVERUSU anymore, huh?
Freeza has actually put in the work a footsoldier does... for ten years... and when he was called into action, he spared his two biggest rivals/enemies. The guy that was so proud of never ever needing to train in his life, and when he did, 4 months were enough, now has trained for a decade.

Two arcs ago he only had Goku's beheading in mind, and now he is like "see ya..." after leapfrogging the entire multiverse, but yeah, just another recolor, there's nothing new here, not in his characterization nor in his relationship with the guy he hates.
You can like or dislike all of this, of course, but saying it's just a recolor... nah.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:52 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:35 am I'm actually surprised people are saying Black Freeza is just another recolor with no narrative or characterization involved whatsoever. People can't see beyond forms or PAWA REVERUSU anymore, huh?
Freeza has actually put in the work a footsoldier does... for ten years... and when he was called into action, he spared his two biggest rivals/enemies. The guy that was so proud of never ever needing to train in his life, and when he did, 4 months were enough, now has trained for a decade.

Two arcs ago he only had Goku's beheading in mind, and now he is like "see ya..." after leapfrogging the entire multiverse, but yeah, just another recolor, there's nothing new here, not in his characterization nor in his relationship with the guy he hates.
You can like or dislike all of this, of course, but saying it's just a recolor... nah.
The changes you're talking about have been underway for a long time. Freeza begun training - if only for a short time - way back in ROF! If you take this longer view, his black form is the END of his story, not the beginning.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:33 am

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:52 am
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:35 am I'm actually surprised people are saying Black Freeza is just another recolor with no narrative or characterization involved whatsoever. People can't see beyond forms or PAWA REVERUSU anymore, huh?

The changes you're talking about have been underway for a long time. Freeza begun training - if only for a short time - way back in ROF! If you take this longer view, his black form is the END of his story, not the beginning.
Not really, after the ToP he didn't care about training, even after witnessing UI, SSBE, Jiren, Toppo, etc. He drafted a beast and sent him to fight his rivals, like he was his toy. After realizing the fact that even his toy was stronger than he, and that he will no longer be relevant using his previous tactics, he has now done something not even Goku has: training non-stop for an entire decade. Goku's record was 7 years.

His story would've ended if he in fact had tried to kill the saiyans... but he didn't even care about that, he put them down and took off in laughter, he no longer has that ambition, apparently. That's a huge change for him, he no longer trains until he feels he's surpassed a certain somebody, he now trains to get the best out of him. Not just to best somebody else, but to best himself. That's what Goku does.

Again, more than just Stacy Malibu with a new hat.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:59 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:33 am
capsulecorp wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:52 am

Not really, after the ToP he didn't care about training, even after witnessing UI, SSBE, Jiren, Toppo, etc. He drafted a beast and sent him to fight his rivals, like he was his toy. After realizing the fact that even his toy was stronger than he, and that he will no longer be relevant using his previous tactics, he has now done something not even Goku has: training non-stop for an entire decade. Goku's record was 7 years.

His story would've ended if he in fact had tried to kill the saiyans... but he didn't even care about that, he put them down and took off in laughter, he no longer has that ambition, apparently. That's a huge change for him, he no longer trains until he feels he's surpassed a certain somebody, he now trains to get the best out of him. Not just to best somebody else, but to best himself. That's what Goku does.

Again, more than just Stacy Malibu with a new hat.
Well saying that Goku’s record is 7 is unfair. He always trains, the fact that his training is stopped by some threat coming to fight does not end his streak.

Anyways I agree with you. We can now add Freeza to the list of villains changed by Goku.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:43 pm

nineko wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:36 am Don't get me wrong, I am going to watch Daima and I am going to enjoy it, but I would have preferred a continuation of Super.
A lot of us are in this boat
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:15 pm

I will admit, I have yet to actually read the Black Freeza scene at the end of Granolah but even without that...

The end of the Tournament of Power presents his return to lead his army as a big "Oh no, what has their victory in the tournament cost them?!" and since that, with the exception of the Moro arc, he's either been directly involved or at least a motivator for at least one major character in every story arc. Broly? First Vegeta is explicitly training to get strong enough to deal with Freeza whom he sees as a very real danger to them, and then of course... Freeza literally kickstarts the fight, and after all is said and done swears that he will be back... and then the last we see of him is him scheming for how he's going to attack next. Super Hero? Broly is on Beerus's planet, specifically because it's out of Freeza's reach. Granolah? Granolah's entire motivation for even being in the story is killing Freeza.

Has Dragon Ball abandoned plot threads before? Sure. Do I expect we will see a rematch between Goku and Jiren, or Vegeta making good on his promise to visit Sadala? No. But Freeza is not that. Ever since Freeza was brought back he's been a constant presence. And now, when we last saw him, he literally showed up with a brand new form purely to say "Hey Son Goku, I am in fact more powerful than ever now, hah." That's... not a thing you just do. That's about as blatant of a sequel hook as you can possibly get. Which, on top of all the other sequel hooks regarding the guy that we've already had... Yeah the story kind of needs a Freeza Arc 3. Hopefully it'll be better than Freeza Arc 2...

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:12 pm

So what's next it's gotta be one of four things:

1. New content. 33% chance
2. Hiatus. 33%
3. Adapting Daima. 33%
4. Adapting rof or broly. 1% chance.

If Daima gets it's own adaptation by someone other than toyo then obviously the other options have a better shot.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:33 pm

TobyS wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:12 pm So what's next it's gotta be one of four things:

2. Hiatus. 33%
3. Adapting Daima. 33%

If Daima gets it's own adaptation by someone other than toyo then obviously the other options have a better shot.
I don't see them willingly spoiling Daima 10 months before it airs. That's 10 chapters of content or 450 pages before we even get to see episode one.

Either the manga does its own thing or takes a hiatus until Daima airs, or starts a month or two before it airs to cover it.

Salt-sensei

Post by Salt-sensei » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:53 pm

TobyS wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:12 pm If Daima gets it's own adaptation by someone other than toyo then obviously the other options have a better shot.
I just hope a Daima manga adaptation isn't handed to Nagayama, I don't really enjoy the SDBH manga art style.
Yuji wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:33 pm I don't see them willingly spoiling Daima 10 months before it airs. That's 10 chapters of content or 450 pages before we even get to see episode one.
I can see a promotional manga being made a month or two before Daima releases, like the Ressurrection F one, and if it's done by Toyo we can expect a short hiatus on Super.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:49 am

I swear to god if they make Diama officially the next Super story arch…I might be done with this series as a whole.

I mean I know I’m lying, but I’ll be slightly upset. Peeved even.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:02 am

If they adapt Daima as part of the Super comic I think that it would be hilarious if they call it the 'Dragon Ball Daima arc', just like how the official name of the arcs adapting Kami to Kami and Fukkatsu no F are simply those film title names.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:35 am

Ah I didn't see Daima was so far off being released.

Interesting then it's continuation or hiatus most likely. I'd like a RoF or Broly special manga but alas that won't happen.

My dream would be we get mangas for the missing arcs and daima than a super kai anime adapting the manga.

Then brand new arcs with one continuity instead of two going forward.

It's a strange time I have no idea what the mangas gonna do before Daima or what heroes is gonna do after ozzotto.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:41 pm

TobyS wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:35 am Ah I didn't see Daima was so far off being released.

Interesting then it's continuation or hiatus most likely. I'd like a RoF or Broly special manga but alas that won't happen.

My dream would be we get mangas for the missing arcs and daima than a super kai anime adapting the manga.

Then brand new arcs with one continuity instead of two going forward.

It's a strange time I have no idea what the mangas gonna do before Daima or what heroes is gonna do after ozzotto.
Yeah I would love for them to adapt the missing material. It feels incomplete without it. I know some fans give the Superhero arc grief for being a retelling but I've been enjoying it.

Heck to make it feel somewhat complete, I even bought the fan release of Resurrection F that Marble put out a few years back.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Salt-sensei

Post by Salt-sensei » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:04 am

Call me a dreamer, but I'd hope for an eventual Super Kanzenban with extra pages/chapters on the first arc (since I still find it odd that KtK is only 4 chapters long), and the inclusion of the missing FnF and Broli arcs.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:11 pm

Although I'm far from being a manga fan, to me it's both hilarious and melancholic that Toei preferred to produce a Dragon Ball Rugrats show rather than continue Super, adapting everything that was covered in the comic after the Universe Survival arc.

I think anyone would believe that this would be the most obvious and secure route, and they would also profit a lot from merchandising with the new forms that had never been animated before.

But considering their choice, we may conclude that it only shows the lack of interest by Dragon Ball's owners in the manga and that most likely this material will never cease to be a comic.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:50 am

Yuji wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:33 pm
TobyS wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:12 pm So what's next it's gotta be one of four things:

2. Hiatus. 33%
3. Adapting Daima. 33%

I don't see them willingly spoiling Daima 10 months before it airs. That's 10 chapters of content or 450 pages before we even get to see episode one.

Either the manga does its own thing or takes a hiatus until Daima airs, or starts a month or two before it airs to cover it.
In 10 months he can only do about 10 minutes of the first episode though.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:20 am

You guys, i thing it's time for Toyotarou too retire from working on DB, as we all now he has worked very hard and has given us great stories so he deserves it, now it's time to step out of Toriyamas shadow and create his own original series so he can finale become one of the greatest mangaka that we all know he is and surpasse his mentor......(PLEASE DO IT TOYO, I WILL PAY YOU FOR EVERY PANEL YOU MAKE AND BUY EVERY VOLUME PLEASE!!).