Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:40 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:53 am So, with this series apparently being really connected to the Majin Buu saga, it's a good opportunity to feature Mira and Towa, mainly the latter, as she is Dabura's sister. While we do not know if that information came from Dimps or if it was supposed to be revealed in Dragon Ball Online, be that as it may, them being siblings made up for an interesting lore due to their relationship being unique (it's not your usual "you're part of my family but I couldn't give two cents about you" that we unfortunately see in Dragon Ball). It would be great if they kept that aspect about them.

I'll be happy with just the Makaio and Makaioshin appearances, though. :)
I could see Towa making an appearance with her magic, but Mira would be too powerful for the characters to deal with in their Babality forms. Unless they get their normal forms back before fighting him, of course.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:13 pm

I vote for axing Mira and Towa and creating characters to replace them who are fun instead of dry boring assholes

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:16 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:59 am
dragonballhero wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:31 pm For that matter, I pray Black Frieza (if Gohan does get involved in that situation) utterly WRECKS Beast Gohan. Once we get to that point of Super, I just really don't want there to be a situation where Gohan simply needs to activate Beast and we're done. Like, with all the build-up to Frieza, that guy better DESTROY the entire Dragon Team, to prove all that decade-long training was certainly NOT a waste of time.
But I heard from some people in this very thread that Dragon Ball is unique and special series because it constantly throws curveballs and subverts expectations. That is the classic Toriyama genius!

So shouldn't Black Frieza return for a new arc only to get stomped in the first 2 episodes by the real main villain (whoever that is)? :lol:
I can already hear the complaints, "just like when they introduced the Androids and Trunks cut him in half, no originality, running on fumes" and so on.

Jord

Post by Jord » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:54 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:16 am I wonder about this franchise sometimes how did it become even more directionless? Near the end of the TOP leading to Broly it seemed it had finally found its footing a bit but man these past 6 years out of the upcoming 40 is probably the worse spot the franchise has ever been in. Declining toy sales, lowest viewership & interest, barely noticeable on trending, dogshit characters, art,designs, & writing Crappy CG running amok. i feel the only ones excited for this new series is just the oldhead fans & the only reason is because they can spite the "DEEBEEZEE" fans that they aren't getting what they wanted. Which i find funny cause i guarantee after some time has passed those same old fans acting like they love this will be making long winded tweets and video dissertations calling this crap also same thing happened with super shitro. Man i wish different ppl had the creative rights to Dragonball we wouldnt be in the mess we are in now
Basically Toriyama has been phoning it in since the start of Super.
Battle of Gods was great and felt like it had some effort put into it.

After that we got a show with shoddy animation, surviving on name recognition, fan service and recycling of old ideas. (Let's bring back Freeza for the fourth time, let's bring back Broly, let's bring back Trunks and use ideas from his special, let's bring back Cell, let's bring back the trope of Gohan needing to regain his powers again)

"What about Goku turning SSJ, but his hair is BLUE?"
-"Great idea Mr. Toriyama. Does he have any extra abilities"
"No, he just has blue hair."

It may be canon...but that doesn't mean it's quality. And hey, I don't blame Toriyama at all. If he can make big money by delivering sub par content, more power to him.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:48 pm

Shaddy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:13 pm I vote for axing Mira and Towa and creating characters to replace them who are fun instead of dry boring assholes
There's nothing wrong with the characters. It's how they're used that matters. Same with Fu. I loved him in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, but in Super Dragon Ball Heroes, he's super boring and cliched. I think Toriyama could do something fun with them, if he wanted to. Kinda surprised they're still only sorta soft canon.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:35 am

Everyone says that about characters that always have and will continue to be extremely boring.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:47 am

Telling everyone that new versions of the same characters can't be cool is boring too
-
I wonder if they haven't revealed yet if this will be a web series or a tv series because they are still deciding which streaming service they want this to air on, I heard that Crunchyroll has some issues so I can't deduce anything, is it crazy to think that this could perhaps be streaming on the official DB website? Would this qualify as a "worldwide release"? (even if the site is only available in 5 languages)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:13 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:16 am I wonder about this franchise sometimes how did it become even more directionless? Near the end of the TOP leading to Broly it seemed it had finally found its footing a bit but man these past 6 years out of the upcoming 40 is probably the worse spot the franchise has ever been in. Declining toy sales, lowest viewership & interest, barely noticeable on trending, dogshit characters, art,designs, & writing Crappy CG running amok. i feel the only ones excited for this new series is just the oldhead fans & the only reason is because they can spite the "DEEBEEZEE" fans that they aren't getting what they wanted. Which i find funny cause i guarantee after some time has passed those same old fans acting like they love this will be making long winded tweets and video dissertations calling this crap also same thing happened with super shitro. Man i wish different ppl had the creative rights to Dragonball we wouldnt be in the mess we are in now
I'm not a fan of them turning into kids but I've read it's going to focus more on adventure and no transformations so I look forward to that part. It's coming out either way so I rather give it a chance than assume it's going to be bad before the first episode. If you don't like it after the first few episodes, I guess don't watch and support it. That's really the only option fans have. Occasional criticism is fine but if you hate everything about a series then spending your time and money on something else is a more effective approach. DBZ seems more popular so I still think this is a limited series for the 40th anniversary.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:02 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:48 pmThere's nothing wrong with the characters. It's how they're used that matters. Same with Fu. I loved him in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, but in Super Dragon Ball Heroes, he's super boring and cliched. I think Toriyama could do something fun with them, if he wanted to.
Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:47 amTelling everyone that new versions of the same characters can't be cool is boring too
I think you are both wrong. Boring characters will be boring characters. Hey, how about we replace them with more Jirens and Gases types of characters instead? Fun orgasmically guaranteed...

... I assure you! :wink:
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:26 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:48 pm
Shaddy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:13 pm I vote for axing Mira and Towa and creating characters to replace them who are fun instead of dry boring assholes
There's nothing wrong with the characters. It's how they're used that matters. Same with Fu. I loved him in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, but in Super Dragon Ball Heroes, he's super boring and cliched. I think Toriyama could do something fun with them, if he wanted to. Kinda surprised they're still only sorta soft canon.
That is correct, the issue isn't the characters but how they are written. A character can change for the better or worse, without any explanation.

Just look at Goku in DBS he isn't anything like his DBZ version, which includes DB Manga when he is a adult. Amazing character in Z, but super lame in DBS.

My point is just because a character is boring, bad, lame, etc, in the past, that doesn't mean they have continue being like that in the future.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:03 pm

DBS's Broly exists and he's more liked than DBZ's Broly by the major part of the fandom, so I don't see why the same couldn't be done to Mira and Towa.
-
Since Yamamuro and his team took a break from the SDBH promo anime I wonder if he will be involved with the Daima episodes that haven't been made yet
Of course, that could scare many :lol:
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:53 am

I already had a gut feeling that this wasn't going to be a long series the way the OG anime run, or Super was. Daima is apparently being done as a short run novelty kind of thing in order to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the franchise's beginning with that being the manga's debut in Weekly Shonen Jump back in December 1984. This isn't even the first time Toei has done a Dragon Ball animated project around an anniversary. As we previously had the Path to Power movie in 1996 to celebrate the anime's 10th anniversary (also contemporary to GT having premiered on TV just weeks earlier) and the JSAT/Yo! Son Goku and His Friends OVA in 2008 which was in honor of Shonen Jump's 40th anniversary in publication. There was also Kai being billed as such given it came out around the 20th anniversary of DBZ. So that is what this is in a similar vein, a fun short series to mark the big 4-0 of the original original version of the story.

Overall, the concept of this series isn't one that could be sustained over a long amount so it's fitting for what Daima is intended to be.....a series to mark a big anniversary of the franchise as a whole.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:05 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:53 am I already had a gut feeling that this wasn't going to be a long series the way the OG anime run, or Super was. Daima is apparently being done as a short run novelty kind of thing in order to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the franchise's beginning with that being the manga's debut in Weekly Shonen Jump back in December 1984. This isn't even the first time Toei has done a Dragon Ball animated project around an anniversary. As we previously had the Path to Power movie in 1996 to celebrate the anime's 10th anniversary (also contemporary to GT having premiered on TV just weeks earlier) and the JSAT/Yo! Son Goku and His Friends OVA in 2008 which was in honor of Shonen Jump's 40th anniversary in publication. There was also Kai being billed as such given it came out around the 20th anniversary of DBZ. So that is what this is in a similar vein, a fun short series to mark the big 4-0 of the original original version of the story.
There's nothing that suggests that Daima will be some short count series, Ajay flat out said that the 15 episode thing was false and that the animators of Daima themselves don't even know what the actual episode count will be.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:53 am Overall, the concept of this series isn't one that could be sustained over a long amount so it's fitting for what Daima is intended to be.....a series to mark a big anniversary of the franchise as a whole.
You're telling me that "Goku's adventures in space" a limiting concept?

Meanwhile the longest arc of the original run could be summed up as "Goku and friends fight a wizard and his pink genie for a day" while the longest arc in general is just "Goku and Co. train for 2 days, then fight in a 48 minute tournament"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:04 am

shadd21 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:05 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:53 am I already had a gut feeling that this wasn't going to be a long series the way the OG anime run, or Super was. Daima is apparently being done as a short run novelty kind of thing in order to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the franchise's beginning with that being the manga's debut in Weekly Shonen Jump back in December 1984. This isn't even the first time Toei has done a Dragon Ball animated project around an anniversary. As we previously had the Path to Power movie in 1996 to celebrate the anime's 10th anniversary (also contemporary to GT having premiered on TV just weeks earlier) and the JSAT/Yo! Son Goku and His Friends OVA in 2008 which was in honor of Shonen Jump's 40th anniversary in publication. There was also Kai being billed as such given it came out around the 20th anniversary of DBZ. So that is what this is in a similar vein, a fun short series to mark the big 4-0 of the original original version of the story.
There's nothing that suggests that Daima will be some short count series, Ajay flat out said that the 15 episode thing was false and that the animators of Daima themselves don't even know what the actual episode count will be.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:53 am Overall, the concept of this series isn't one that could be sustained over a long amount so it's fitting for what Daima is intended to be.....a series to mark a big anniversary of the franchise as a whole.
You're telling me that "Goku's adventures in space" a limiting concept?

Meanwhile the longest arc of the original run could be summed up as "Goku and friends fight a wizard and his pink genie for a day" while the longest arc in general is just "Goku and Co. train for 2 days, then fight in a 48 minute tournament"
There's also nothing that suggests Daima will be a long running TV anime.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:45 am

Under that logic NOTHING would be discussed since no one has any proof of ANYTHING.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:21 am

So do we know if it will take place after Super Hero, after Broly or before BoG? Because Bulma's design, and the ages of Goten, Trunks and Marron seem to point towards it being before Super Hero at least and before Resurrection F at most (because of Bulma's hairstyle being the Buu arc-BoG hair).

I would prefer it to be after Super Hero to move forward but it seems unlikely.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:42 pm

I dont remember if it was here, but I remember reading something about the staff and Toriyama really liking doing the work for Daima and because of that they wanted to extend its original lent?

I'm not sure maybe I'm missremembering and it was just someone speculation.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:39 pm

Overall, the concept of this series isn't one that could be sustained over a long amount so it's fitting for what Daima is intended to be.....a series to mark a big anniversary of the franchise as a whole.
A franchise needs to create a new series every so often, like TMNT, Scooby, The smurfs, and that can been seen even in the videogame industry as well: call of duty, assassins creed, god of war you name it.., My point is we should be thankful Dragon Ball is still being considered as one of the most important franchises in Japan.

And what you mentioned about not being a long series, I totally agree. In current times the majority of people are not willing to watch a long series. The most they do is to watch reviews of them. So yeah it would be a short series for sure. Probably 64 episodes.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:11 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:45 am Under that logic NOTHING would be discussed since no one has any proof of ANYTHING.
What's your point? At this point nothing really indicates it'll be long. If anything, it's the contrary but there's nothing sure. There can be discussions about the content. I like the videos saikyou Devin on YouTube has.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:33 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:11 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:45 am Under that logic NOTHING would be discussed since no one has any proof of ANYTHING.
What's your point? At this point nothing really indicates it'll be long. If anything, it's the contrary but there's nothing sure. There can be discussions about the content. I like the videos saikyou Devin on YouTube has.
Then I must apologize, I thought you meant we shouldnt discuss anything until its proven. I am glad we can discuss what think or hope will happen then.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: