Official "Dragon Ball dub" Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Official "Dragon Ball dub" Thread

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:20 pm

The thread for anything about dragon ball dubs
Last edited by Dragon ball master on Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Official Dragon Ball dub/sub" Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:25 pm

You can discuss those things in any relevant thread. What exactly are YOU looking to discuss in particular, though? What angle? What elements? What comparisons specifically?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Dragon Ball dub/sub" Thread

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:50 pm

Just dragon ball dubs

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Dragon Ball dub" Thread

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:10 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:20 pm The thread for anything about dragon ball dubs
Hmm... in that case...

There's some sort of Mandela effect with the LATAM Spanish dub of the scene where Gohan turns into SSJ2.

Some people claim (and still do) that the song Unmei no Hi was kept in the dub (when it actually wasn't) thanks to Youtube.

So, if you happen to run into a video of the scene with the LATAM Spanish dub and the song is present, it's a fanmade edit.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:45 pm

Tian wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:10 pm
Dragon ball master wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:20 pm The thread for anything about dragon ball dubs
Hmm... in that case...

There's some sort of Mandela effect with the LATAM Spanish dub of the scene where Gohan turns into SSJ2.

Some people claim (and still do) that the song Unmei no Hi was kept in the dub (when it actually wasn't) thanks to Youtube.

So, if you happen to run into a video of the scene with the LATAM Spanish dub and the song is present, it's a fanmade edit.
Didn't the Latin American Z dub have the same issue as the Funi dub where all the vocal songs are missing?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:45 pm Didn't the Latin American Z dub have the same issue as the Funi dub where all the vocal songs are missing?
Yup. Both in the series and the movies/specials. They were either removed (series) or replaced with the LATAM Spanish dubbed version of Zenkai Power (movies/specials)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:07 pm

On the topic of dubs, if anyone else is trying to find the Animax dub I've asked one of the actors and he said Russell Wait, Mike Pizzuto or Victor Lee may have recordings, so if anyone has a line of contact to them it would be well worth asking.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:28 pm

Tian wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:34 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:45 pm Didn't the Latin American Z dub have the same issue as the Funi dub where all the vocal songs are missing?
Yup. Both in the series and the movies/specials. They were either removed (series) or replaced with the LATAM Spanish dubbed version of Zenkai Power (movies/specials)
Ah, I'm surprised all the LATAM movie dubs used their Zenkai Power dub for the ending. Cost saving measure to avoid having to translate every new ending song I guess? I assumed Funimation and Cloverway got the same music tracks from Toei. Funimation's had the ending songs as is (when using the Japanese music and not their rescoring of course), so I just figured it was the same for the LATAM dub

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:46 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:07 pm On the topic of dubs, if anyone else is trying to find the Animax dub I've asked one of the actors and he said Russell Wait, Mike Pizzuto or Victor Lee may have recordings, so if anyone has a line of contact to them it would be well worth asking.
Yeah, I tried to, but there's only really 3 clips. We got we got a voice of adult and kid goku and out of all characters general blue.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=49&v=oLaM ... e=youtu.be
https://youtu.be/5eTVLvvWlys?t=37

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:57 pm

What about the Chinese dub, For some reason in the first promo they use the rare Chinese dub. But then in the second promo, they used funimation. So then why do they switch?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w0MaBrzeF ... 9tbw%3D%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tLtTg7zg3 ... 9tbw%3D%3D

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:28 pm Ah, I'm surprised all the LATAM movie dubs used their Zenkai Power dub for the ending. Cost saving measure to avoid having to translate every new ending song I guess? I assumed Funimation and Cloverway got the same music tracks from Toei. Funimation's had the ending songs as is (when using the Japanese music and not their rescoring of course), so I just figured it was the same for the LATAM dub
I forgot to mention that Z movies 10-13 used the LATAM Spanish dubbed version of Boku Tachi Wa Tenshi Datta (Yeah, my bad, I sometimes forget that name)

I personally would've preferred the Big Green dub route where they used the instrumental versions of the songs rather than listening to the series' endings over and over again.

We've got a nice dub (there may be some things I disagree with) but we're kinda screwed with insert and ending songs (In terms of being unused, of course)

Like all the dubs, our GT dub never used any other opening and ending than the first ones, which sucks because I would have really liked to hear Sabitsuita Machinegun dubbed.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:28 pm
Ah, I'm surprised all the LATAM movie dubs used their Zenkai Power dub for the ending. Cost saving measure to avoid having to translate every new ending song I guess? I assumed Funimation and Cloverway got the same music tracks from Toei. Funimation's had the ending songs as is (when using the Japanese music and not their rescoring of course), so I just figured it was the same for the LATAM dub
I honestly don't think Funimation had M&E tracks with the ending songs on them for the movies. The songs sound pretty low quality in the dub, so I think the more likely scenario is that they just spliced the songs from the optical Japanese track they received. It's possible Intertrack opted not to splice the songs since they wanted to have dubbed songs instead, hence why they used their versions of Zenkai Power/We Were Angels.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:09 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:04 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:28 pm

I honestly don't think Funimation had M&E tracks with the ending songs on them for the movies. The songs sound pretty low quality in the dub, so I think the more likely scenario is that they just spliced the songs from the optical Japanese track they received. It's possible Intertrack opted not to splice the songs since they wanted to have dubbed songs instead, hence why they used their versions of Zenkai Power/We Were Angels.

Idk given that the tv series and a few movies are missing Head Cha La on the Japanese music track but most of the Z movies have them I don't think Funimation had the capability of splicing in the songs from the Japanese track? At the very least it seems weird they would bother with the ending songs and not bother with Head Cha La

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:57 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:57 pm What about the Chinese dub, For some reason in the first promo they use the rare Chinese dub.
Unfortunately there's very few (like 2 or so that I can count like Y2_O3 or tinlunlau) that are either Chinese nationals or ethnically Chinese on a site like this, and I've heard from most of the Chinese users I've encountered on the internet (Discord) that they'd need to use a VPN to access most of the Western side of the web (because great firewalls or something), so I'm not even sure who exactly to ask about CN dubs of DB or how much info about it there even is out there (doesn't help that it's also only a few of them that seem to have any interest in DB).

And it's quite the shame, apparently they have good M&E tracks too (as well as probably the 2nd most interesting perspective on the series overall).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:42 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:57 pm What about the Chinese dub, For some reason in the first promo they use the rare Chinese dub. But then in the second promo, they used funimation. So then why do they switch?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w0MaBrzeF ... 9tbw%3D%3D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tLtTg7zg3 ... 9tbw%3D%3D
I talked to Y2_O3 about the Chinese dub of original Dragon Ball. Broadcasting info is scarce, but the consensus among fans seems to be the series was purchased and issued by Shenzhen TV in 1998 with Liao Yi providing the dubbing. For at least two years Dragon Ball was airing on numerous channels, so maybe it was syndicated? The first 52 episodes were also released on VCD.

As you pointed out in South Africa Startimes Kungfu Channel also aired the Chinese dub in 2015. From what kei17 has said the channel was owned by a Chinese company so they aired the Chinese dub because they owned the rights. I must say I never saw that Funimation promo before. I wonder at what point did they switch?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:53 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:07 pm On the topic of dubs, if anyone else is trying to find the Animax dub I've asked one of the actors and he said Russell Wait, Mike Pizzuto or Victor Lee may have recordings, so if anyone has a line of contact to them it would be well worth asking.
Assuming you tried googling and social media?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:57 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:53 am
Assuming you tried googling and social media?
I have. Reached out to Russel Wait on Facebook and emailed but haven't heard back. Quick update on Mike Pizzuto, he confirmed he wasn't I'm the Dragon Ball dub but hasn't said whether or not he has recordings. No idea how to contact Victor Lee but still looking.

I've also reached out to Animax enquiring about whether or not they could rerun Dragon Ball with the dub they aired in 2006. If anyone else would like to do the same they can be reached at animaxasiahelp@kcglobalmedia.com

Would be good if this dub of Dragon Ball was rerun and we could get someone in Southeast Asia to record it.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "Dragon Ball dub" Thread

Post by Dragon ball master » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:02 pm

What about the RPN7 dub in the Philippines

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:05 am

Dragon ball master wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:02 pm What about the RPN7 dub in the Philippines
The Creative Corp Products dub is mostly lost. Only a few episodes of Dragon Ball Z have been found. Their dub of original Dragon Ball is lost, I've only seen one or two clips from promos. Maybe one day tapes will be discovered in someones attic but its a long shot because the dub aired so long ago.

In terms of content they dubbed Dragon Ball episodes 1-122, movies 2-3, Z episodes 1-49 and Z movies 5-6.

There's also evidence to suggest this dub didn't only air on RPN9 as there are GMA promos where you can hear Nesty Calvo Ramirez as Goku.

You probably know this, but when Dragon Ball first aired with these dubs in the Philippines it was shown in English, but those dubs were superseded by Tagalish dubs (which is a mix of English and Tagalog) before transitioning to full Tagalog.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:48 pm

There might be a rip of the RPN9 OG dub