What are the best episode and scenes in DBS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Re: What are the best episode and scenes in DBS

Post by Toxin45 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:22 am

Skar wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:23 pm
Zephyr wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:57 pmThe notable thing to me in Broly is that he does go to Earth for revenge (again), but he doesn't decide to just blow the planet up once his plan is in shambles (again). To me that shows that simply blowing the planet up to kill Goku isn't good enough for him anymore.
I actually thought it was because Gogeta was there so Freeza didn't think he would get away with anything. When he tried destroying the Earth after Whis rewound time, Goku killed him so Gogeta would've also stopped him if he didn't quietly leave.
The way he showed off his new form but didn't kill Goku and Vegeta in the manga feels perfectly in line with that trajectory to me. People point to how "irredeemably evil" he is as a reason why this shouldn't be happening, but I feel like that's instead a reason why it's taken him so many times to begin this sort of arc.
What I meant is that Black Freeza was Toyotaro's idea so it might remain a manga only development. That presented Freeza as more of a rival since he did all that training and spared them in the end. In Broly, he had no intentional of fighting himself and hoping that Broly would kill them. We know in the manga continuity he trained and obtained a new form between Broly and SH but that might not apply to the movies since SH was likely already written before Black Freeza was a thing. Toriyama could have something else in mind and have him plotting revenge again for the last few years since Broly.
Well now that superhero is being retold in super manga it is likely if we get Granolah and Moro arcs animated Toriyama will approve of them

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:27 pm

Toxin45 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:22 amWell now that superhero is being retold in super manga it is likely if we get Granolah and Moro arcs animated Toriyama will approve of them
Toriyama still supervises the manga so I assume he already approves of all the developments. Black Freeza could appear in a later movie but could also remain a manga or anime only plot thread or form that never gets referenced in the Toriyama written movies.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:55 pm

The Arale episode is probably the single greatest episode and its, ironically, filler! DBS is so twisted!

There are lots of examples of good animation although its usually tainted by frustrating writing.

The "smart Buu" scene was hilarious and wonderfully animated.

GokuGoldie

Post by GokuGoldie » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:00 am

I really don't know what episode it would be but as far as i remember, I was just 14 at that time when i have seen Dragon Ball Z Kai arc with the main antagonist as Freeza.
Man It was a vibe watching Frieza switching form to form increasing his power level. Honestly speaking on that detecting power levels by some saiyen equipment was super awesome. I can't explain what goosebumps i get when team Ghainyu says "How Goku is so fast with such low power levels."
I am sorry i get away from the point in my own vibe. However for witnessing Goku becoming the first Super Saiyan with golden Hair was the best scene from Dragon Ball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:14 am

Any episode written by Tomioka Atsuhiro is a lot of fun. I opine endlessly about this on this forum, but I absolutely love the strategy he gave Gokuu in Episode #123 against Jiren. That's the sort of exciting thing that he often employed in the episodes of Pocket Monsters he wrote.

I also vehemently enjoyed the Kale and Caulifla episodes. That their relationship would culminate in what is subtextually sex/a Saphhic wedding in their Potara merger was such a nice detail, and it really makes he hope that Toei Animation's series directors are more ambitious with using them in the future.

I also really enjoyed the scene where Gokuu and Freeza team up against Jiren in Episode #131. Storyboard Artist & Episode Director Ishitani Megumi really captured the bursting emotions of Jiren as he came to overcome his trauma, and the moment where Son Gokuu and Freeza have a big team up moment after thirty-odd years of in real time of basically being at each others' throats was really exciting.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the "Hit assissnates Gokuu" episodes, those were really moody and well done. I wish we had more one-off episodes like those and that they went harder with disrupting the status quo.

I also enjoyed seeing Gokuu meet and interact with Artificial Human #17, as well as #17's arc kind of swelling and culminating in him winning the Tournament of Power. It's a really nice bookend to an arc that begins with #17 just living the peaceful life and trying to stay out of the action.

It's hard not to love the scenes of Gokuu Black and Zamasu interacting. They're fabulously evil, and provide plenty of bait for fujoshi like me to giggle and get heated over. I hope that those two make a comeback someday, ala Freeza.

In Dragon Ball Super: Broli, I really enjoyed the scenes of Broli and Cheelai interacting. Those were the heart of the film, and really make me wish that they had continued to interact. I think that relegating Broli to only scenes of him training with Gokuu and Vegeta in Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero was a tremendous waste of the character and let down what could be more exciting developments for him.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:41 am

In spite of me despising most of the Tournament of Power that Kefla fight where Goku slid across the beam with the Kamehameha was sick and hasn't been topped. I also really liked Jiren's elimination scene in the anime, and there were a few well animated moments with cool fight choreograph in the Trunks arc. However, I've forgotten most of Super to be honest outside of the movies.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:57 am

Openings and endings.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.