Character You Wish Did More?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Character You Wish Did More?

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:42 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:14 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:58 pm I wish that the humans stopped showing up in general. I wasn't invested in Kuririn, Chaozu, Tenshinhan, Yamcha and the Muten Roushi's stories after the Saiyan arc. The lack of doing anything really substantial with their characters—beyond arguably giving Kuririn some really cool scenes during the Namek arc—really just makes their presence panel-crowding. All that extra time could have gone to actually fleshing out new characters, or characters that were being thrust into the spotlight randomly (Gohan).

Say what you will for spotanenity in writing, but the point of having an editor is for that editor to curtail and shape that looseness into a more solid form. After Kondou Yuu left before the Cell Game the series really lost that advantage and Toriyama's shenanigans really got out of hand.
But most of the female characters are humans. Dont you want more female characters actually doing something?
I also specifically spoke about the male characters by name, so contextually, I was referring to the characters that did receive some attention. The women of Dragon Ball were never really given as much honor.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:11 pm

I knew I shouldnt have doubted you girl! You awesome!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:12 pm

The problem with Dragon Ball nowaday is that only Goku and Vegeta trains with the best masters and the best locations, other character training doesn't even compare to what they do. Which is ashame, since before the Android Saga everyone did the best possible training. They even accepted getting their potential unlocked.

I would like to see Oob, Goten and Trunks do more. Pan in DBS Super Heroes she has shown that she is a great character along with EOZ, so seeing her doing more things will be good.
Bra at the moment isn't strong or a fighter, however she is great with technology. Imagine if she surpasses Bulma, Dr Gero and Dr Hedo in intelligence. I am sure Dr Hedo protected the data on the disc, yet Bra managed to bypass whatever protection it had.

Basically Bra has potential to be useful.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:02 am

The thing about most of the kids is that it's less that I want them to take up space in mainline Dragon Ball and more that they should be developed as protagonists in their own right, either for a spinoff or as an actual next generation of DB after the false start that we saw in Z. Pan and Uub certainly feel more like proper successors to Goku than Gohan did.

The problem is that Dragon Ball is the Goku show. If Goku's not on-screen, all the characters are asking "where's Goku?". Even though Z typically stuck Goku in a box until the final showdowns, the story still revolves around him. Killing him off isn't a good idea, but having him and Vegeta further ascending the god tiers in the background of someone else's story will just make it hard to take the stakes seriously (though if you just don't have them hang around so much like Beerus and Whis, we'll probably avoid a Resurrection F level of no-tension).

Super Hero isn't too bad a template for this, but I can't shake the feeling that the reason that movie gave Gohan and Piccolo giant power-boosts is because it wants them to keep up with Goku and Vegeta, and there's only so many handouts you can give before you get diminishing returns (and frankly, I still think Beast Gohan is lame as hell).

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:59 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:12 pm The problem with Dragon Ball nowaday is that only Goku and Vegeta trains with the best masters and the best locations, other character training doesn't even compare to what they do. Which is ashame, since before the Android Saga everyone did the best possible training. They even accepted getting their potential unlocked.

I would like to see Oob, Goten and Trunks do more. Pan in DBS Super Heroes she has shown that she is a great character along with EOZ, so seeing her doing more things will be good.
Bra at the moment isn't strong or a fighter, however she is great with technology. Imagine if she surpasses Bulma, Dr Gero and Dr Hedo in intelligence. I am sure Dr Hedo protected the data on the disc, yet Bra managed to bypass whatever protection it had.

Basically Bra has potential to be useful.
Vegeta and Goku became the face of the franchise just like luigi and mario for nintendo. It is understandable they would focus on them. DBS was the goku and vegeta show and it did decently. Let's see what daima brings...

I agree with the new warriors series. Trunks, Goten, papaya man (Uub), Pan and even Bra and Maron (Krillin's daughther) it would be awesome to see them working as a team ala teen titans but with enemies from space, Baby level. But all that "GT is not canon" the only thing it does is to waste potential. Dragon Ball GT and Beyond I would call it like that or DB GT II but that sounds too much lilke star wars... mmmm...

I would love to see more of Videl. Her mother and childhood. I would like for her to have a more active role in the series other than boring housewive.

Tenshin han. More of Mr. Buu, I just like him so much. More of the blondie mustached man, the announcer from the tournaments. Make him an influencer. Give him a name for god's sake. Yajirobe what happened to him? XD

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:03 pm

While it's a fighting show, it's not JUST the only thing that matters. I don't need characters to be more involved in the plot, but just get more development. I love seeing Pan and Goku interract. Gohan, Pan, and Piccolo have such a wonderful dynamic I'd love to see more of. Tenshinhan is always one of my choices for wanting to see do more.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:07 am

There's a lot of characters who I wish did more. That includes stuff that were filler.

Goten and Trunks (kid) got brushed to the side in Super. Though the kid Trunks had his moments when he met his future self face to face.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:42 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:03 pm While it's a fighting show, it's not JUST the only thing that matters. I don't need characters to be more involved in the plot, but just get more development. I love seeing Pan and Goku interract. Gohan, Pan, and Piccolo have such a wonderful dynamic I'd love to see more of. Tenshinhan is always one of my choices for wanting to see do more.
Yeah, this about sums up my feeling towards the OP's question. Like, character development is all I'd ask for regarding a lot of the cast. They don't have to be DIRECTLY involved in a fight.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:53 am

Nail, Pikkon, Yamcha, Tien, Krillin, and Uub for sure.

Also, I always thought Oolong should have a bigger role. Imagine Oolong using his shapeshifting ability to impersonate villains and struggling not to blow his cover and stay transformed longer.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:18 am

dragonballhero wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:42 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:03 pm While it's a fighting show, it's not JUST the only thing that matters. I don't need characters to be more involved in the plot, but just get more development. I love seeing Pan and Goku interract. Gohan, Pan, and Piccolo have such a wonderful dynamic I'd love to see more of. Tenshinhan is always one of my choices for wanting to see do more.
Yeah, this about sums up my feeling towards the OP's question. Like, character development is all I'd ask for regarding a lot of the cast. They don't have to be DIRECTLY involved in a fight.
If a characters wishes to fight and get strong, they should be allowed to do so. If a character isn't a fighter and has no desire to train, then they should find another path in the story. There are other ways to contribute than just fighting.

Goten and Trunks likes to fight and get stronger, then no one should stop them.
Bra has no desire to fight and train, but instead get great grades and being great at technology.

Dende isn't a fighter, yet he contributed a lot on Namek by healing everyone. Many Z fighters survived thanks to him and gave Goku enough time to recover and gain his Zenkai.
Last edited by super michael on Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:21 am

I'm not referring to plot. I'm talking about story. Two related but distinct things. It doesn't matter to me how Tenshinhan plays into plots like stopping Zamasu if he did at all. What matters to me is seeing where he is at in his life. In Super, seeing him move away from isolation and taking on students was a wonderful way to give him a story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:50 am

ABED wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:21 am I'm not referring to plot. I'm talking about story. Two related but distinct things. It doesn't matter to me how Tenshinhan plays into plots like stopping Zamasu if he did at all. What matters to me is seeing where he is at in his life. In Super, seeing him move away from isolation and taking on students was a wonderful way to give him a story.
So basically things like Kuririn being a police and what he does when he works and Yamcha playing baseball with his team mate.
Dr Hedo could be fun seeing his creations. His creations can be anything and not just fighitng.