Official "Dragon Ball dub" Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official "Dragon Ball dub" Thread

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:16 am

Dragon ball master wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:48 pm There might be a rip of the RPN9 OG dub
What makes you say that?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:16 am

The only thing I can find for the RPN9 dub of original Dragon Ball is this promo. You can hear Lunch, Chaoitzu, Goku and perhaps Master Shen or Tao Pai Pai about 44 seconds in. Luckily the Songs of a High Spirited Saga CD was released so there's fan restorations of the OP and ED. Apart from that there doesn't seem to be any recordings of the episodes floating around. That's not to say they don't exist. Maybe someone in the Philippines has tapes lying around in their house and is unaware of their rarity. I certainly hope they will surface someday, along with the Animax dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:48 pm

I remember seeing a post that had a cilp of the goku vs ninja shake with the dub the voices and in the comments some said that for some reason the creative products have all the episodes but they can't post it. I don't remember everything of that post

Peenoisedbfanboi

Post by Peenoisedbfanboi » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:15 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:05 am
Dragon ball master wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:02 pm What about the RPN7 dub in the Philippines
The Creative Corp Products dub is mostly lost. Only a few episodes of Dragon Ball Z have been found. Their dub of original Dragon Ball is lost, I've only seen one or two clips from promos. Maybe one day tapes will be discovered in someones attic but its a long shot because the dub aired so long ago.

In terms of content they dubbed Dragon Ball episodes 1-122, movies 2-3, Z episodes 1-49 and Z movies 5-6.

There's also evidence to suggest this dub didn't only air on RPN9 as there are GMA promos where you can hear Nesty Calvo Ramirez as Goku.

You probably know this, but when Dragon Ball first aired with these dubs in the Philippines it was shown in English, but those dubs were superseded by Tagalish dubs (which is a mix of English and Tagalog) before transitioning to full Tagalog.

Dragon Ball abruptly ended on RPN9 right around Episodes 102-106 I believe and after that, a few years later on GMA. Picasso Studios took over and dubbed the remaining episodes of Dragon Ball (It is unknown if it was dubbed in Tag-Lish or Tagalog) under Creative Production's Rio A. Del Rosario's supervision. After the airing of Dragon Ball, it was immediately followed by DBZ's Namek Saga, right where the redub of the Creative Prod. dub left off. I don't know the reason why but I speculate that it's because Creative Productions still owns the license for Dragon Ball Z's first few eps at the time although, some hardcore Filipino fans told me that GMA actually showed some Saiyan Saga commercials at the time but it was never aired up until the 2003 or 2006-2008 rebroadcast of the show. I also spoke recently with Jeff Utanes (Goku's 2nd VA after Nesty Ramirez), he told me that Creative Productions still holds most of DB's broadcasting rights in the Philippines. Creative owns the rights for Kai, The Movies and Super which is very surprising because for years, the fandom thought that it was all produced by Telesuccess but no, Telesuccess was outsourced by Creative Prod for the dubbing of Kai, Movies and Super.
Last edited by Peenoisedbfanboi on Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hindi kita mapa-patawad sa ginawa mong ito, FREEZAAAAA

Peenoisedbfanboi

Post by Peenoisedbfanboi » Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:22 am

Dragon ball master wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:48 pm I remember seeing a post that had a cilp of the goku vs ninja shake with the dub the voices and in the comments some said that for some reason the creative products have all the episodes but they can't post it. I don't remember everything of that post
Those RPN9 VHS recordings were owned by a guy named Sandiesss on YouTube, I messaged him 3 years ago if he's willing to upload his recordings somewhere but he said nope and his reason was "Copyright Issues" .... So yeah, that guy's a lost cause.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:47 am

Peenoisedbfanboi wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:15 amDragon Ball abruptly ended on RPN9 right around Episodes 102-106 I believe and after that, a few years later on GMA. Picasso Studios took over and dubbed the remaining episodes of Dragon Ball (It is unknown if it was dubbed in Tag-Lish or Tagalog) under Creative Production's Rio A. Del Rosario's supervision. After the airing of Dragon Ball, it was immediately followed by DBZ's Namek Saga, right where the redub of the Creative Prod. dub left off. I don't know the reason why but I speculate that it's because Creative Productions still owns the license for Dragon Ball Z's first few eps at the time although, some hardcore Filipino fans told me that GMA actually showed some Saiyan Saga commercials at the time but it was never aired up until the 2003 or 2006-2008 rebroadcast of the show. I also spoke recently with Jeff Utanes (Goku's 2nd VA after Nesty Ramirez), he told me that Creative Productions still holds most of DB's broadcasting rights in the Philippines. Creative owns the rights for Kai, The Movies and Super which is very surprising because for years, the fandom thought that it was all produced by Telesuccess but no, Telesuccess was outsourced by Creative Prod for the dubbing of Kai, Movies and Super.
Interesting, I never knew this. What about the Solar Entertainment dub of Z movies 10 and 11? Was that outsourced by Creative Corp Product too?

Similarly I spoke to Nesty Ramirez rather recently asking why was the dubbing switched to Tagalog and his guess was that Creative Corp wanted to expand their reach as the Dragon Ball dubs were recorded at a time when many foreign properties began being dubbed in the native language.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Peenoisedbfanboi

Post by Peenoisedbfanboi » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:44 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:47 am
Peenoisedbfanboi wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:15 amDragon Ball abruptly ended on RPN9 right around Episodes 102-106 I believe and after that, a few years later on GMA. Picasso Studios took over and dubbed the remaining episodes of Dragon Ball (It is unknown if it was dubbed in Tag-Lish or Tagalog) under Creative Production's Rio A. Del Rosario's supervision. After the airing of Dragon Ball, it was immediately followed by DBZ's Namek Saga, right where the redub of the Creative Prod. dub left off. I don't know the reason why but I speculate that it's because Creative Productions still owns the license for Dragon Ball Z's first few eps at the time although, some hardcore Filipino fans told me that GMA actually showed some Saiyan Saga commercials at the time but it was never aired up until the 2003 or 2006-2008 rebroadcast of the show. I also spoke recently with Jeff Utanes (Goku's 2nd VA after Nesty Ramirez), he told me that Creative Productions still holds most of DB's broadcasting rights in the Philippines. Creative owns the rights for Kai, The Movies and Super which is very surprising because for years, the fandom thought that it was all produced by Telesuccess but no, Telesuccess was outsourced by Creative Prod for the dubbing of Kai, Movies and Super.
Interesting, I never knew this. What about the Solar Entertainment dub of Z movies 10 and 11? Was that outsourced by Creative Corp Product too?

Similarly I spoke to Nesty Ramirez rather recently asking why was the dubbing switched to Tagalog and his guess was that Creative Corp wanted to expand their reach as the Dragon Ball dubs were recorded at a time when many foreign properties began being dubbed in the native language.
I really don't have any info about the Solar Entertainment Dub, hell, I don't even know if that thing is licensed or not. Bit I assume it wasn't outsourced by Creative Prod. Jeff Utanes never really said anything about it when we talked about some stuff last time. I can get some info if I know who worked on it, but rn, I don't have any. I will update you though once I have some.

The funny thing is, this dub actually received 3 variations of it's VHS release (4 if you count the VCD release). I'll try to compile the online listings that I found about it here.