"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 pm

I feel a little bad for Vegeta and for myself as I'm a mild Vegeta fan. It's virtually impossible for him to get his UE form because it is manga-only, and I get that, for some reason, perhaps a legal one, the manga gets sidelined.

However, Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, even Cell, they will all get their final, strongest form in-game. Even Trunks and Goten might get their teenage iteration included, because the growth of all of those characters took place in the mainstream medium that games pay attention to... while Geets, well, since his last mainstream power up was, the by now boring and uninteresting SSBE(SSB but bluer), he'll seem like he's back at that time in the android saga when everybody was a SS but him :lol: :lol They should give Vegeta some funny line reminiscing about it.

I can live without Gas, Moro, Granny, and the other manga-only fellas, but it will feel odd to be able to use next-gen forms of the MCs while Geets is still gaming from his PS3.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:01 am

I hope we get interactions with the other characters. I like when two characters who never meet each other have their own set of fun dialogue.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:32 am

Dunno if anyone put much stock in what he says, But according to Geekdom, All 3 members of the Trio de Dangers will be playable, not just Bergamo

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:14 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 pm I feel a little bad for Vegeta and for myself as I'm a mild Vegeta fan. It's virtually impossible for him to get his UE form because it is manga-only, and I get that, for some reason, perhaps a legal one, the manga gets sidelined.

However, Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, even Cell, they will all get their final, strongest form in-game. Even Trunks and Goten might get their teenage iteration included, because the growth of all of those characters took place in the mainstream medium that games pay attention to... while Geets, well, since his last mainstream power up was, the by now boring and uninteresting SSBE(SSB but bluer), he'll seem like he's back at that time in the android saga when everybody was a SS but him :lol: :lol They should give Vegeta some funny line reminiscing about it.

I can live without Gas, Moro, Granny, and the other manga-only fellas, but it will feel odd to be able to use next-gen forms of the MCs while Geets is still gaming from his PS3.
Am I the only one that likes SSBE? :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:37 pm

There might be two players at Sparking Zero, and it seems to have been worked at two years, not five.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qmT1TWSFwUs

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:44 pm

shadd21 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:32 am Dunno if anyone put much stock in what he says, But according to Geekdom, All 3 members of the Trio de Dangers will be playable, not just Bergamo
Thats kind of a no brainer, the last game that Spike developed had The entire Ginyu Force, Cooler's Armored Squadron and even Android's 14 and 15 as fully playable characters. So I expect most of the ToP participants to be playable as well, Hell I expect the Gods of Destruction to be fully playable too, not just Beerus and Champa.

Also I'm curious as to who's been the developer of most of the anime brawlers that have been pumped out since Xenoverse 2, has it been Cyber Connect 2 this whole time? I only ask because I've seen some negative comments of folks saying they're tired of the generic anime cash grab release because they all play the same and barely have any love put into them. I just think its funny since I know a good amount of people online and even in real life were echoing the same sentiments back when we were getting Burst Limit and Raging Blast lol. Funny how that cycle is circling back.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:54 pm

shadd21 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:32 am Dunno if anyone put much stock in what he says, But according to Geekdom, All 3 members of the Trio de Dangers will be playable, not just Bergamo
If they add Majora from the tournament of power and Liquiir we can make the ultimate furry team lol

I hope they have at least one character from each universe and all the Gods playable

Salt-sensei

Post by Salt-sensei » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:16 pm

I wonder if it'll have a Battle Royale mode or if they'll just do brackets for the Tournament of Power.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:50 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:37 pm There might be two players at Sparking Zero, and it seems to have been worked at two years, not five.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/qmT1TWSFwUs
It being in active development for 2 years makes more sense than 5. 5 years would be really long for a DB game, and would mean it was in development back before Kakarot was even revealed, and Fighterz was in only in its 1st year.

The fact that its taken them this long to show actual gameplay supports this. A game with 5 years of active development behind it would surely have revealed more by now.

I feel like the Battle Hour from a couple of years ago sort of foreshadowed this game. They had multiple DB games being streamed, including Budokai 1. This showed they were testing the waters, and were considering the possibility of bringing back the older game series. It's always nice to see the older games get officially acknowledged, as many of them have been left behind and are overdue a re-release.

Rinsankajugin
Regular

Post by Rinsankajugin » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:03 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:44 pm
Thats kind of a no brainer, the last game that Spike developed had The entire Ginyu Force, Cooler's Armored Squadron and even Android's 14 and 15 as fully playable characters. So I expect most of the ToP participants to be playable as well, Hell I expect the Gods of Destruction to be fully playable too, not just Beerus and Champa.

Also I'm curious as to who's been the developer of most of the anime brawlers that have been pumped out since Xenoverse 2, has it been Cyber Connect 2 this whole time? I only ask because I've seen some negative comments of folks saying they're tired of the generic anime cash grab release because they all play the same and barely have any love put into them. I just think its funny since I know a good amount of people online and even in real life were echoing the same sentiments back when we were getting Burst Limit and Raging Blast lol. Funny how that cycle is circling back.
Personally speaking, I don't see the playable ToP roster being that stacked. Probably somewhere between 20-30 characters excluding Universe 7. Also, I feel like outside of Beerus and Champa, the GoDs would probably be DLC. If any other ones make it to the base roster, it'd probably be Liquiir, Arak and Iwen since they fought in the anime. The rest would have to rely exclusively on the manga, Heroes and Dokkan for their movesets.

As for anime arena fighters that came out after Dimps' Xenoverse 2, that'd be the following:
  • Spike Chunsoft: Jump Force, One Punch Man A Hero Nobody Knows
  • CC2: Naruto UNS Connections, JJBA Eyes of Heaven, Demon Slayer The Hinomaki Chronicles
  • Byking: My Hero One's Justice, Jujitsu Kaisen Cursed Clash
  • A+ Games: Kill la Kill IF
  • Access Games: A Certain Magical Virtua-On
Honestly thought there'd be more than that.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:18 am

Idk something is off with the visuals/artsyle of this game it doesn’t look to be of high quality if anything it looks more like those “Bro ___ should hire you” unreal engine game concept videos.” Or that one crappy Raging Blast fan game that never happened. Not to mention the clunky & jank movement. The 3D background also clashes with the cel shaded models. I will admit Spike has improved since Jump Force but it’s still not up to par with other anime game visuals.

I mean be honest was anything in that trailer visually on par with something like this:

That should be the visual/animation standard for all anime games going forward tbh .Arcsys please save us again from mediocrity :D

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:47 pm

Salt-sensei wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:16 pm I wonder if it'll have a Battle Royale mode or if they'll just do brackets for the Tournament of Power.
Speaking of battle Royale, I wonder if Zenkai Battle Royale will be available sometime.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:35 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:18 am Idk something is off with the visuals/artsyle of this game it doesn’t look to be of high quality if anything it looks more like those “Bro ___ should hire you” unreal engine game concept videos.” Or that one crappy Raging Blast fan game that never happened. Not to mention the clunky & jank movement. The 3D background also clashes with the cel shaded models. I will admit Spike has improved since Jump Force but it’s still not up to par with other anime game visuals.

I mean be honest was anything in that trailer visually on par with something like this:

That should be the visual/animation standard for all anime games going forward tbh .Arcsys please save us again from mediocrity :D
What game are these gifs from? I'd be amazed if they can get a Dragon Ball game to look that good consistently. I do agree the background and the models don't compliment each other. I think Burst Limit did a good job of putting anime style backgrounds in a 3D space, even with the gallons of motion blur on top.

Still looks clean.

Either way, I'm excited for Zero. Wishlisted on Steam and PS.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:21 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:35 pm
YMK_8000 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:18 am Idk something is off with the visuals/artsyle of this game it doesn’t look to be of high quality if anything it looks more like those “Bro ___ should hire you” unreal engine game concept videos.” Or that one crappy Raging Blast fan game that never happened. Not to mention the clunky & jank movement. The 3D background also clashes with the cel shaded models. I will admit Spike has improved since Jump Force but it’s still not up to par with other anime game visuals.

What game are these gifs from? I'd be amazed if they can get a Dragon Ball game to look that good consistently. I do agree the background and the models don't compliment each other. I think Burst Limit did a good job of putting anime style backgrounds in a 3D space, even with the gallons of motion blur on top.

Still looks clean.

Either way, I'm excited for Zero. Wishlisted on Steam and PS.

Guilty Gear Strive from Arc System Works.I swear that games visuals continue to get better with every update it’s ridiculous. I wish DB games would consistently keep devs who do amazing visual work so we can have a cohesive/consistent style for the games instead of throwing them away & putting lesser studios on.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:56 pm

I think Sparking Zero's visuals look incredible so far. They've actually exceeded my expectations of what a modern BT game might look like.

Comparing it to a game like Guilty Gear Strive isn't fair. The roster of this game will be enourmous compared to that game, which means there will be way more characters to animate.

They could've easily half-assed the visuals and the game would still have sold well. But it looks like they're actually going the extra mile. Compared to games like Xenoverse and even Kakarot this looks much better.

Looking back at the old BT trilogy the visuals were just decent for the time. Characters looked kind of lifeless and lacked facial expressions, and some of the stages were pretty bland. The Dimps Budokai trilogy actually had some memorable looking facial expressions for certain ultimate moves, and the stages looked good too. But again those games had less characters than Tenkaichi, so the difference in visuals was understandable.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:30 am

Saying that Zero's visuals aren't as good as Guilty Gear or FighterZ is an unfair comparison. Those two are animated as if they were 2D games with a locked camera so making every frame look good is actually doable.

Sparking Zero is an arena fighter, the camera and character move around in a 3D arena, so an approach like Arc System's games isn't feasible aside from cutscene-like animations - which they did at least on faces if you look at cinematic attacks in the trailer.

I'll agree on the stages tho. Those textures could look a lot more like they were painted/2D-esque. The desert stage doesn't look too far from an anime-style background but the Namek stage looks way too realistic.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:02 am

Seems like they added a local multiplayer tag on Steam.

https://steamdb.info/app/1790600/history/
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:01 am

omegalucas wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:02 am Seems like they added a local multiplayer tag on Steam.

https://steamdb.info/app/1790600/history/
These are user-defined and don't mean anything official.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:50 am

Ah drat. Thought it was defined by the publisher.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:39 am

I think the models look incredible, and the facial animations are some of the best I’ve ever seen in a DB game.

I think my one problem with it is the noses. Like Goku’s nose is way too big, Vegeta’s looks kind of misshapen, Broly’s is sort of odd too. Anybody else see it?

Like Goku looks great in different angles, that shot of him doing that Kamehameha looked like it could be from fighterZ, as did one of the frames of Broly transforming. But it looks kind of awkward and uncanny when they’re facing the camera.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time