One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:24 pm

I don't want a DB remake/new adaption not until a very long time. The original anime is still a classic even if it has pacing issues and some dated content.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:06 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:49 pmremakes usually tend to be pretty bland and sterile as a general rule
Anime remakes have a great track record, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter, Fruits Basket, Hellsing Ultimate, Shaman King and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure all spring to mind as generally well liked and in some cases surpassing the original.
You also have Devilman Crybaby and the 2005 Guyver anime too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:06 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:24 pm I don't want a DB remake/new adaption not until a very long time. The original anime is still a classic even if it has pacing issues and some dated content.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:49 pmremakes usually tend to be pretty bland and sterile as a general rule
Anime remakes have a great track record, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter, Fruits Basket, Hellsing Ultimate, Shaman King and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure all spring to mind as generally well liked and in some cases surpassing the original.
You also have Devilman Crybaby and the 2005 Guyver anime too.
Tokyo Mew Mew New was also great :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:48 pm

I feel a bit mixed on this. On the one hand the filler in One Piece is a major turn off to the point of making Z's worst filler feel like a breeze. A way to watch One Piece without all that would certainly be welcome, as I've basically given up on the anime at this point.

On the other hand I really enjoyed the live action show, and that already provides a condensed version of the story. Having this anime remake come out at the same time might be overkill. The 2 Netflix shows could end up competing with each other for ratings, as many will only watch one or the other.

Maybe this really will just be the East Blue story again and nothing more. They already retold that story twice; first with the Episode of Alabasta movie, and then the live action show. This will be the 3rd retelling (4th if you count the OG anime as a retelling of the Manga).

I have to wonder if Toei would ever bother remaking DB from the ground up. They might be hesitant after Kai failed to sell toys, and the fanbase might react negatively to an attempt to "replace" the original anime. It would be a bold move for sure.

On the other hand some fans might actually prefer to see DB/Z remade to something like Daima. That original story is still considered untouchable when compared to stuff like GT and Super.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:08 am

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:48 pm I have to wonder if Toei would ever bother remaking DB from the ground up. They might be hesitant after Kai failed to sell toys, and the fanbase might react negatively to an attempt to "replace" the original anime. It would be a bold move for sure.

On the other hand some fans might actually prefer to see DB/Z remade to something like Daima. That original story is still considered untouchable when compared to stuff like GT and Super.
Seems like it could be another company if a DB remake happens seeing how it's happening with One Piece.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:55 am

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:48 pmOn the other hand I really enjoyed the live action show, and that already provides a condensed version of the story. Having this anime remake come out at the same time might be overkill. The 2 Netflix shows could end up competing with each other for ratings, as many will only watch one or the other.
I question how long the live action One Piece will go on for. Evidently season 2 is coming and that will probably bring us to the end of Alabasta. I'd like to see further seasons to cover Skipiea, Water 7 and so on, but I don't know if it's likely the series will be renewed for more seasons beyond that given Netflix's history.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:08 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:55 am
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:48 pmOn the other hand I really enjoyed the live action show, and that already provides a condensed version of the story. Having this anime remake come out at the same time might be overkill. The 2 Netflix shows could end up competing with each other for ratings, as many will only watch one or the other.
I question how long the live action One Piece will go on for. Evidently season 2 is coming and that will probably bring us to the end of Alabasta. I'd like to see further seasons to cover Skipiea, Water 7 and so on, but I don't know if it's likely the series will be renewed for more seasons beyond that given Netflix's history.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.
The live action Yu Yu Hakusho doesn't give me much hope either. The look, the cast, and the performances are good, but they condensed WAY too much story into too few episodes. It went from 64 24-minute episodes to FIVE 50-minute episodes. They hit a lot of the big plot points, but the story and the emotion are gutted.

There isn't as much plot in DB as YYH, but condensing of material for DB is still tricky.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:52 am

How do we know this is a complete redo of the manga to last another 30 years? Maybe it's more like Path to Power where it just retells a specific section.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:13 pm

DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:52 am How do we know this is a complete redo of the manga to last another 30 years? Maybe it's more like Path to Power where it just retells a specific section.
All the reports specified the East Blue saga. So yes it is a remake of a specific section and not an attempt to redo 1000+ episodes.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:30 pm

That's not true. They said they're starting at East Blue...because that's the start. They never said when or if they were stopping.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:13 pm
DefinitiveDubs wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:52 am How do we know this is a complete redo of the manga to last another 30 years? Maybe it's more like Path to Power where it just retells a specific section.
All the reports specified the East Blue saga. So yes it is a remake of a specific section and not an attempt to redo 1000+ episodes.
I wanted to disagree with Majin Buu on another thread that its not good to say One Piece doesnt really have 1000 episodes, they can easily be squeezed into WAY LESS than that. I disagreed becuase like it or not that-s the ammount of episodes One Piece has but that doesnt need to be true for this new remake.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:55 pm

Yeah, but then you have remakes that are so lifeless and bland that you question why the studio even bothered. A recent example: the Urusei Yatsura remake from last year. It's so boring that I forgot it was made last year.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:00 pm

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:55 pm
Yeah, but then you have remakes that are so lifeless and bland that you question why the studio even bothered. A recent example: the Urusei Yatsura remake from last year. It's so boring that I forgot it was made last year.
Lots of people praise that remake. I don't like the Rurouni Kenshin remake personally.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:12 pm

If WIT is in charge of this remake, I wonder how long it'll be before they give up and hand control of the series over to MAPPA.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:51 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:00 pm
BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:55 pm

Lots of people praise that remake. I don't like the Rurouni Kenshin remake personally.
I mean the Urusei Yatsura remake is perfectly fine technically speaking, but nothing about it really stands out to me beyond the op's and ed's. Also I like how Lum has an almost neon glow thing going on with her hair.
It's not bad, but it it just feels like the standard seasonal anime.
While a hypothetical Dragon Ball remake without the filler and without the drastic changes in art quality between studios sounds amazing, it could also not live up to the quality of the original and become "just another anime" that gets churned out mid season. Considering it's legacy I'd want Dragon Ball to be more than that.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:23 pm

Here's the thing: The announcement calls this adaptation "fresh but familiar" from the anime adaptation. Ideally Netflix is doing this because a bunch of people are now interested in the anime thanks to the live-action show. If the barrier of entry for newbies is the length of the anime and the manga, does doing a "DB Kai/Brotherhood" style remake fix the issue? Probably not.

My thinking? This is a remake that will be different from both the Toei anime and the original manga. If the goal is to be accessible to people who watched the Netflix series, I absolutely see "The One Piece" heavily condensing the events of the East Blue Saga to make it much easier for people to get into.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:20 pm

I'm still surprised one Piece will get a remake. Surprised because how long the series is, Toei version is still airing and won't end anytime soon, and how it's happening before Dragon Ball and Naruto got one.

I always assumed the TV Specials they have been doing to recap past arcs in higher quality would be the as close as we would get to a full remake. Even with fast pacing, remake everything from the beginning seems crazy.

As for Dragon Ball I would like a remake or reboot too one day, but not now. I rather have new stories while Toriyama is with us.
I wouldn't mind if we got the kind of TV Specials One Piece has been having though. A TV Special recapping Zamasu arc in high quality is long overdue.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:44 am

The reveal of this remake, while we get that Chibi Special, makes me question everything. I get that OP is the golden goose, been so for 2 decades, and looks to be so 2 decades more with this remake. But Dragonball is profitable too...right?

Surely a remake would break bank......right?

Dragonball is too big to fail.........right?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:49 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:44 am The reveal of this remake, while we get that Chibi Special, makes me question everything. I get that OP is the golden goose, been so for 2 decades, and looks to be so 2 decades more with this remake. But Dragonball is profitable too...right?

Yes, Dragonball is too big to fail. It doesn't matter how badly cropped a release is, how bad the video is, how abysmally poorly dubbed it is, how it's no better than whatever the previous release is, idiots will still be lining up around the block to buy whatever gets shat out.

Meanwhile, One Piece has the very easily observable problem of a lot of people's first reaction to it these days being "over 1000 episodes? Uh, I'll skip". That's something this remake can change.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:49 am

Adamant wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:49 am
FoolsGil wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:44 am The reveal of this remake, while we get that Chibi Special, makes me question everything. I get that OP is the golden goose, been so for 2 decades, and looks to be so 2 decades more with this remake. But Dragonball is profitable too...right?

Yes, Dragonball is too big to fail. It doesn't matter how badly cropped a release is, how bad the video is, how abysmally poorly dubbed it is, how it's no better than whatever the previous release is, idiots will still be lining up around the block to buy whatever gets shat out.

Meanwhile, One Piece has the very easily observable problem of a lot of people's first reaction to it these days being "over 1000 episodes? Uh, I'll skip". That's something this remake can change.
Is it really that big of an issue? Its success would imply otherwise.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:09 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:23 pm Here's the thing: The announcement calls this adaptation "fresh but familiar" from the anime adaptation. Ideally Netflix is doing this because a bunch of people are now interested in the anime thanks to the live-action show. If the barrier of entry for newbies is the length of the anime and the manga, does doing a "DB Kai/Brotherhood" style remake fix the issue? Probably not.

My thinking? This is a remake that will be different from both the Toei anime and the original manga. If the goal is to be accessible to people who watched the Netflix series, I absolutely see "The One Piece" heavily condensing the events of the East Blue Saga to make it much easier for people to get into.
You say "fresh but familiar" and now alarm bells are going off in my head that this is going to be like Netflix's Scott Pilgrim show, where the whole thing is just going to be completely different after the first episode.