The removal of the Power Pole in the Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

The removal of the Power Pole in the Dragon Ball

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:48 pm

Goku used to used the Power Pole as kid but the older he gets the less he uses it. The last time he used it was in The World's Strongest During the fight with Dr. Wheelo. After that Goku never used his Grandpa's Power Pole, but originally In the tree of might. Gohan was supposed to use the Power Pole. But any Scene's with it was cut from the final movie.

So why did they cut out the scenes with the Power Pole anyway? Even though its used to connect Koran's tower to Kami's look out, but nobody uses the Power Pole to clime up. They just fly up or used Instant transmission. So why didn't goku give gohan the power pole? :crazy:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: The removal of the Power Pole in the Dragon Ball

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:14 pm

Why would any of them need to use it, though? It's like bringing a stick to an energy blast fight. Truthfully, they've outgrown it. Kind of like how Trunks uses the sword one time to cut up Freeza--sure, it looks cool, but it's not exactly the most efficient thing to a guy who can do the things Trunks can do. Same thing on this scenario. And no, I'm not counting the movies.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:41 pm

In the manga Goku used his Nyoibo to connect Karin Tower to the Heavenly Realm. That was it and he never used it again.

The anime screwed up by having Goku use it in again in the Wedding dress arc and the first two Z movies. The last we see it Karin was using it as a bargaining chip in a poker game against Maron in the Garlic Jr saga and that was it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:48 pm

He probably had no use for it anymore. I can't imagine it being any useful against somone like Piccolo, Raditz, etc.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:23 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:14 pm Why would any of them need to use it, though? It's like bringing a stick to an energy blast fight.
I do personally think that goku could of given uub the Power Pole at the end of Z just like giving gohan the 4 star ball at the beginning of Z.

Also I don't get how goku only treasures the 4 star ball and not the Power Pole too, because the Power Pole was given to him by his grandpa

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:45 pm

The entire "Oh, it's too weak" argument makes no sense. The beginning of the Cell Saga shows that if Toriyama wants a regular sword to be titanium, then it's going to be titanium as long as it's held by someone strong enough.

Giving Toei credit where it's due: I'm glad they didn't forget it (initially), it made fighting coreography more interesting than just spamming Ki blasts.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:02 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:45 pm The entire "Oh, it's too weak" argument makes no sense. The beginning of the Cell Saga shows that if Toriyama wants a regular sword to be titanium, then it's going to be titanium as long as it's held by someone strong enough.

Giving Toei credit where it's due: I'm glad they didn't forget it (initially), it made fighting coreography more interesting than just spamming Ki blasts.
To be fair, the fight choreography was much better and more intricate right on up to Goku's arrival on Namek. You can almost pinpoint the shift in fight scenes to that point in time.

And yeah, I mean could Goku make us of the Nyoibō? Sure. But would it really make sense at that level or would it just feel like it was shoehorned in? I would say is the latter.

I do agree, though, Goku should have more of a sentimental feeling toward it. Had the series not started out being all about the Dragon Balls, I don't see why Goku would treasure them over the Nyoibō, at least initially. I guess the Dragon Balls were even more nostalgic for him considering that his entire life unfolded because Bulma found him while searching for his 4-star ball.

I would be cool if he removed Nyoibō from it's position between Karin Tower and Kami's Palace and kept it as a keepsake to pass down. But do I think it should be used in fighting? Nah.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:39 pm

Friendly reminder that Goku likely still has the Nyoibo as seen in chapter 166, he did not leave it at Karin Tower/God's temple.

Either way, Goku never should've stopped using it. I admire Toriyama for not being attached to old ideas just because they were there since the beginning, but things such as Goku losing his tail and not using the Nyoibo and Kinto'un anymore really bother me. Those are all what I'd consider very iconic elements of early Dragon Ball and its protagonist, yet Toriyama took them all away almost permanently and so unceremoniously too
she/they.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:15 pm

NeoZ Duwang wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:39 pm Friendly reminder that Goku likely still has the Nyoibo as seen in chapter 166, he did not leave it at Karin Tower/God's temple.

Either way, Goku never should've stopped using it. I admire Toriyama for not being attached to old ideas just because they were there since the beginning, but things such as Goku losing his tail and not using the Nyoibo and Kinto'un anymore really bother me. Those are all what I'd consider very iconic elements of early Dragon Ball and its protagonist, yet Toriyama took them all away almost permanently and so unceremoniously too

very iconic elements of early Dragon Ball

early Dragon Ball
There's your problem. Look I love the old elements and they are iconic but its sadder to keep using them past their prime. However I am happy Daima will bring it back and I KNOW Toriyama wouldnt just bring it to toss it aside again.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:49 pm

I seems at least that Dragon Ball Daima will have Goku using the power pole again, but I’m still waiting for him to use it in conjunction with Ultra Instinct.

Weapons embedded or made by spiritual energy are very common in the franchise. Very classical examples are Krillin’s kienzan and Vegetto’s ki no tsurugi. Dragon Ball Super also added some, like Goku Black’s scythe, Trunks’s blade, Gas’ innumerable constructs, etc.

Even Goku can do now a giant spirit avatar as his ultimate move. Maybe he could focus all that spiritual energy in the form of a weapon that he can wield very well.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:00 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:15 pm There's your problem. Look I love the old elements and they are iconic but its sadder to keep using them past their prime.
I think you're looking at it with the hindsight that the series didn't use these elements for most of its life. These are certainly old elements now, but they weren't old then, they were just part of what Dragon Ball was.

I can't help but think that the removal of Goku's tail, Nyoibo, and Kinto'un would be very poorly received if it happened today, rather than in a section of the series most people here probably saw after they already got used to those things not being staples of Dragon Ball, but I can't speak for that hypothetical fanbase, so I might be wrong. My point here is that Toriyama doing this, feels like if Oda made Luffy loose his Gomu Gomu fruit powers halfway through the series and treated it as if it wasn't that big of a change.

Just to clarify, by "Early Dragon Ball", I don't mean the pre-Z anime adaptation or the pre-Saiyan stories, I meant it in a general sense. As in, there is no "Late Dragon Ball" that acts as a separate section of the story that needs to carve its own idendity. "Late Dragon Ball" in this case would be whatever comes after these changes that Toriyama made.

I just wish that Goku never learned to fly fast enough for the Kinto'un to become nearly useless, I wish he never had his tail removed, and I wish he still used his Nyoibo from time to time. Dragon Ball can, and should change, but claiming those elements needed to be done with, is like criticizing Super for having any Super Saiyan transformations (including the old ones) for no other reason than the fact that theu are older ideas
she/they.