Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Lukmendes » Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:44 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:33 pm I'm currently curious about when (and most importantly, in which continuity - movies, anime or manga) Daima takes place. The "movieverse" is the safest choice, I think, but who knows.
Possibly gonna be a weird mix of movie and anime continuities, I don't think there'll be manga stuff.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:27 pm

At this point, I don't really care that much. It's not worth the energy. Dragon Ball is little different from Garfield comics now. Eternally static characters, who don't grow older, placed in a continuity that makes less sense the more you think about it. Each story is a disconnected thing with little to no consequences, other than a new color for characters to transform into. Maybe Piccolo will lose another arm. Funny how often that happens to the only one who can regrow his limbs. lol

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:54 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:27 pm At this point, I don't really care that much. It's not worth the energy. Dragon Ball is little different from Garfield comics now. Eternally static characters, who don't grow older, placed in a continuity that makes less sense the more you think about it. Each story is a disconnected thing with little to no consequences, other than a new color for characters to transform into. Maybe Piccolo will lose another arm. Funny how often that happens to the only one who can regrow his limbs. lol
Hate to break it to you but at least Garfield has had actual character development that has stuck very recently so Dragon Ball is alone in its misery lol.

EDIT: Added to clarify it was recent.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:44 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:19 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:52 pm (I don't really care either way so long as the series is good).
This is where I'm at.

Daima's continuity and timeline placement is the least of my concerns right now, especially considering Dragon Ball continuity is such an enormous clusterfuck to begin with that even if we do get an answer, it likely won't please everyone (Look at the Zelda franchise and the series timeline Nintendo put out when they finally -sort of- committed to establishing one- Quite a few fans outright rejected it).

It's interesting to speculate on, but I get the sense that it'll matter as much as it mattered for the pre-revival movies- Not that much.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:29 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:52 pm (I don't really care either way so long as the series is good).
This is where I'm at.

Daima's continuity and timeline placement is the least of my concerns right now, especially considering Dragon Ball continuity is such an enormous clusterfuck to begin with that even if we do get an answer, it likely won't please everyone (Look at the Zelda franchise and the series timeline Nintendo put out when they finally -sort of- committed to establishing one- Quite a few fans outright rejected it).

It's interesting to speculate on, but I get the sense that it'll matter as much as it mattered for the pre-revival movies- Not that much.
Thirded.

Are people really going to be mad or care if Daima's timeline placement is vague/questionable?

It seems like a pretty self contained series to celebrate the manga's 40th anniversary. Fans expecting an expansion on Super or something past Z's epilogue are setting themselves up for disappointment.
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:55 am
This is where I'm at.

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:29 amThirded.

Are people really going to be mad or care if Daima's timeline placement is vague/questionable?

It seems like a pretty self contained series to celebrate the manga's 40th anniversary. Fans expecting an expansion on Super or something past Z's epilogue are setting themselves up for disappointment.
Yeah, I'm like...you don't need to rely on the latest piece of continuity to tell a good story. Heck, judging by the trailer Daima is going to lean on the Babidi portion of the Majin Buu arc, so it's not like elements of the series are being ignored entirely. Somebody's just telling whatever inoffensive story that they feel like telling.
Same here. I know it's a long shot, given the popularity of Beerus and Whis, but I'm still hoping that Daima takes place in some sort of alternate continuity where the likes of Super just... doesn't happen.

Just so we can get a story where the Dragon Team doesn't have what's essentially their (current) ultimate failsafe(s) outside of the Omni-King, if things start to get TOO dicey for them.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:49 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:44 pm Same here. I know it's a long shot, given the popularity of Beerus and Whis, but I'm still hoping that Daima takes place in some sort of alternate continuity where the likes of Super just... doesn't happen.

Just so we can get a story where the Dragon Team doesn't have what's essentially their (current) ultimate failsafe(s) outside of the Omni-King, if things start to get TOO dicey for them.
It's hard to take the stakes seriously when:
1) They have the Earth's Dragon Balls
2) They have Namek's Dragon Balls
3) If it's connected to Super, they have the Super Dragon Balls
4) They have Whis, who can reverse time by a few minutes
5) Goku can teleport, unless they pull a GT (which I wouldn't be opposed to)

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:17 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:49 pm
dragonballhero wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:44 pm Same here. I know it's a long shot, given the popularity of Beerus and Whis, but I'm still hoping that Daima takes place in some sort of alternate continuity where the likes of Super just... doesn't happen.

It's hard to take the stakes seriously when:
You know, I was legit wondering (when making my previous post) if I should admit that they DO still have the Namekian DBs, as well as the guidance of folks like the Old Kai and King Kai.

Though I was also making my previous post under the idea that Beerus and Whis wouldn't be involved, the Super DBs wouldn't factor into this story, and Instant Transmission wouldn't be a viable technique, like in GT (which, on some level, would probably result in the Namekian DBs not serving as an automatic go-to solution).

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:51 am
Anyway, I hope Daima is heavier on the character drama to really advance a character arc or two.
I would love nothing more, but a series/spin-off in which the main cast gets turned into babies is literally the LAST place I expect any heavy character drama, developement and advancement. Not saying it definitely won't happen, but color me absolutely shocked if it does, especially after it didn't happen in 131 episodes and 4 movies of Super.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:54 pm

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:22 pm
Anyway, I hope Daima is heavier on the character drama to really advance a character arc or two.
I would love nothing more, but a series/spin-off in which the main cast gets turned into babies is literally the LAST place I expect any heavy character drama, developement and advancement. Not saying it definitely won't happen, but color me absolutely shocked if it does, especially after it didn't happen in 131 episodes and 4 movies of Super.
Shrug. I don’t think it hurts to hope for the best, and have a measured response should the best not come. It's certainly better than doom and gloom (and then complaining after it comes out, anyway).

Who knows, we have new core staff working on Daima. We might just get some pleasant surprises!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:54 pm
Shrug. I don’t think it hurts to hope for the best, and have a measured response should the best not come. It's certainly better than doom and gloom (and then complaining after it comes out, anyway).

Who knows, we have new core staff working on Daima. We might just get some pleasant surprises!
Sure, I just shared my take on it. Anyone is of course free to proceed with their expectations as they feel.

I am definitely curious regarding Toriyama'd heavy involement as it may be the key to some actual plot progression/char developement in Daima. If that's what he wants to do of course.

The tricky part is that we have no idea how Toei & Toriyama view Daima and what are their plans. Is it an extended 40th anni one-off mini series that will have zero impact on anything, recycle the 'greatest hits' character bits and never get mentioned or referenced again after it concludes? Or is it actually suppoused to morph/lead into Super 2 at some point? If it's the later than I would expect more plot progression and possily some charctwr developement. If it's the former than I don't see it at all and no motivation for Toriyama to develop the characters further in a self-contained one-off

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:18 pm

Sure, I just shared my take on it. Anyone is of course free to proceed with their expectations as they feel.

I am definitely curious regarding Toriyama'd heavy involement as it may be the key to some actual plot progression/char developement in Daima. If that's what he wants to do of course.

The tricky part is that we have no idea how Toei & Toriyama view Daima and what are their plans. Is it an extended 40th anni one-off mini series that will have zero impact on anything, recycle the 'greatest hits' character bits and never get mentioned or referenced again after it concludes? Or is it actually suppoused to morph/lead into Super 2 at some point? If it's the later than I would expect more plot progression and possily some charctwr developement. If it's the former than I don't see it at all and no motivation for Toriyama to develop the characters further in a self-contained one-off

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:32 pm

Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:18 pm
Basaku wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:22 pm I would love nothing more, but a series/spin-off in which the main cast gets turned into babies is literally the LAST place I expect any heavy character drama, developement and advancement. Not saying it definitely won't happen, but color me absolutely shocked if it does, especially after it didn't happen in 131 episodes and 4 movies of Super.

I'm not sure what the plan is for Daima's role in the greater franchise plan. Daima seems like a "hey, I gave you Super Hero, now let me do Daima for me" going by how Toriyama supposedly wanted to do the series.

I'm encouraged by the extended schedule, because more time often means more opportunities for discussing ideas, which is something any series benefits from. If Daima is one off and not used as a building block by a future project, then that's a shame, but not unexpected.
She/Her
bisexual milf

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:00 pm

If there is one thing I fear from Daima, and how Toriyama wants to portray the characters, is that it's going to follow the same pattern of Super: "Oh, I almost inadvertently caused multiversal genocide?! Tee hee, my bad~" (Nobody learns anything, nobody reflects on anything, nobody cares about the implications of their actions, and everything repeats itself next arc)

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:08 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:54 pm Hate to break it to you but at least Garfield has had actual character development that has stuck very recently so Dragon Ball is alone in its misery lol.

EDIT: Added to clarify it was recent.
Seriously? Garfield of all things?

Having two sets of dragon balls available is far bigger of a failsafe than Beerus and Whis lol.
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:49 pm It's hard to take the stakes seriously when:
Only one of these they don't really have are the Super Dragon Balls, and it wasn't made clear if Goku/Vegeta are strong enough to get them, or if they'd even want to considering how long that'd take.

Though, Whis could casually grab them, but Beerus would need to order him to do so lol.

So yeah, of those listed things, super dragon balls are the hardest ones to have available, and the main characters have yet to make use of them outside of the wish being a tournament reward... They didn't even use it to restore Trunks' universe.
dragonballhero wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:17 pm You know, I was legit wondering (when making my previous post) if I should admit that they DO still have the Namekian DBs, as well as the guidance of folks like the Old Kai and King Kai.

Though I was also making my previous post under the idea that Beerus and Whis wouldn't be involved, the Super DBs wouldn't factor into this story, and Instant Transmission wouldn't be a viable technique, like in GT (which, on some level, would probably result in the Namekian DBs not serving as an automatic go-to solution).
Why would instant transmission not be available just because Goku de-aged? Even GT itself had to use spotty, nonsensical logic that contradicted itself when Goku could use it as a kid anyways after Baby's arc.

Also, even if Goku somehow can't teleport, it's very unlikely that Shin or Kibito can't as well...

There's also the possibility of them talking to Kaio to talk with Namekians, but Goku always has to talk with him directly to ask him to do stuff, or Kaio is the one who makes contact with Goku, so at least if Goku can't teleport that becomes slightly more complicated, but, again, if Shin is part of the story like rumors say (And the trailers do show him sticking around on Earth for a bit), asking him to teleport to Kaio's planet once is pretty reasonable.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:18 pm

The logic of GT may be flawed, but the intention is what matters: Goku had grown way too powerful and had to be nerfed so the show could be taken seriously again. Giving Goku an ability like teleporting made him seem OP when he did use it and made him seem stupid when he didn't use it.

Case in point: Outright refusing to help the other fighters during Cell's attack on #17 and #18 because, and I quote, "There is absolutely nothing we can do, plus, we don't have time to go there, we have to wait for Vegeta to open this door!" instead of going there and solving everything in 2 seconds, resorting to only doing it after the mess had been done.

The excuses the show pulled to take Goku out of the plot just kept changing as the series went.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:54 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:18 pm The logic of GT may be flawed, but the intention is what matters: Goku had grown way too powerful and had to be nerfed so the show could be taken seriously again. Giving Goku an ability like teleporting made him seem OP when he did use it and made him seem stupid when he didn't use it.
Kinda funny to have the intention to "nerf" Goku while buffing his power level to stronger than SS3 Goku, in base form lol.

Anyways, GT did nothing with this "nerf", because since he was traveling around the universe, instant transmission was generally useless anyway, and once he got SS4 he could use it without an issue, so effectively it made no difference, it's probably GT Goku's biggest pretend weakness.
Case in point: Outright refusing to help the other fighters during Cell's attack on #17 and #18 because, and I quote, "There is absolutely nothing we can do, plus, we don't have time to go there, we have to wait for Vegeta to open this door!" instead of going there and solving everything in 2 seconds, resorting to only doing it after the mess had been done.

The excuses the show pulled to take Goku out of the plot just kept changing as the series went.
Well it's not like dragon ball characters are smart, back in saiyan saga we had Kaio forgetting about the time it'd take for Goku to make the trip back, the genius Goku waiting to be resurrected so he can start flying back, instead of just flying back right away, Krillin killing all saibamen instead of fighting them one by one to give Goku more time to come back, Piccolo counting on Gohan to give a killing blow on Nappa at all when it was made clear that Gohan is useless, and that he shouldn't count only on Gohan anyways, Piccolo again tanking Nappa's attack instead of just grabbing Gohan and dodging it...

There's also Krillin using solar flare on Freeza, and then he tells yells to Vegeta to tell him to attack Freeza while he's blinded, and then flies up to Vegeta asking him what the hell, instead of just using the destructo disk to cut Freeza in slices like he already knows it can be done.

I also remember reading vanilla DB for the first time, and after defeating Tao Pai Pai and making a wish with the dragon balls, Goku jumped and just grabbed the four star dragon ball before it flew around, and my reaction was "They can do that! Why don't they do that?!" in sheer bafflement lol.

So yeah, dragon ball characters are only as smart as the plot allows it, which, worked well enough early on when Goku was intentionally a moron, but not later on.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:19 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:54 pm Kinda funny to have the intention to "nerf" Goku while buffing his power level to stronger than SS3 Goku, in base form lol.

Anyways, GT did nothing with this "nerf", because since he was traveling around the universe, instant transmission was generally useless anyway, and once he got SS4 he could use it without an issue, so effectively it made no difference, it's probably GT Goku's biggest pretend weakness.
Not saying it was well executed, I'm saying it was the intention.
Either way, Daima seems to be going the GT route of deaging the characters to nerf them.
Whatever logic Daima uses, if they take away the teleportation technique, I won't complain about its absence.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:43 am

Well, considering that I had an accident and broke my two feet... I would even be happy if Daima premiered (regardless of its questionable quality) tomorrow, as I would have plenty of time to discuss it, now in the recovery period lol

But guess I can wait until September, (hope to be better by that time also)
shadd21 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:32 pm I think Daima's going to blow Super out of the water, better story, better overall animation, and blood
I can only assume that this is sarcasm, right? Since I can't imagine Kid Vegeta on his knees, coughing up blood in front of some enemy myself.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:56 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:00 pm If there is one thing I fear from Daima, and how Toriyama wants to portray the characters, is that it's going to follow the same pattern of Super: "Oh, I almost inadvertently caused multiversal genocide?! Tee hee, my bad~" (Nobody learns anything, nobody reflects on anything, nobody cares about the implications of their actions, and everything repeats itself next arc)
Yeah the flanderization of the characters and the forced, overdone LACK of seriousness when it's actuqlly needed is a big problem of modern DB. "Tori is sucha troll" excuses got tired fast too and don't justify plain bad writing. You can have TONS of comedy but when its time to be serious it should be serious...
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:32 pm I'm not sure what the plan is for Daima's role in the greater franchise plan. Daima seems like a "hey, I gave you Super Hero, now let me do Daima for me" going by how Toriyama supposedly wanted to do the series.

I'm encouraged by the extended schedule, because more time often means more opportunities for discussing ideas, which is something any series benefits from. If Daima is one off and not used as a building block by a future project, then that's a shame, but not unexpected.
TBH at this point I expect it to morph into whatever Super 2 was suppoused to do but at the same time I fear how long the 'kids' section is going to last. 10-15 episodes may be fine but more? I understand if Toriyama wants to do it this way, but he should also understand that 'Dragon Ball Babies' is just not going to happen worldwide aka "stop trying to make fetch happen". If he's content with a massive decline in popularity then sure, make a 200-episode series about kid Goku adventures. But he shouldn't be surprised with the backlash. Dragon Ball Babies never happened and never will and the last time the world cared about kid Goku was in the 80s. For a brief moment as even Toriyama quickly realized back then he needs to age him or people will check out

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:29 pm

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:56 am For a brief moment as even Toriyama quickly realized back then he needs to age him or people will check out
According to the 30th anniversary "Super History Book" interview, Toriyama says he aged up Goku to make him easier to draw for fight scenes since he decided to do what Torishima told him to and make the series more fight-centric.

I bring this up because you insinuate that Toriyama aged up Goku because he was concerned people would stop watching (more like reading) if he remained a kid when that's not really the case- It was a decision that stemmed from the larger decision to shift the series from road-trip comedy to battle manga. As far as we know, aging up Goku had nothing to do with Toriyama worrying about fans not wanting to watch Goku be a kid anymore.
Translations Archive Dragon Ball 30th Anniversary“Super History Book” (21 January 2016) wrote:
Interviewer: I see. So then after that, Goku grew up…

Toriyama: I got a lot of pushback on that at the time. Apparently in shōnen manga changing what the main character looked like was a big no-no, but I didn’t care about that. His head/body ratio made fighting hard, so I said that if the series was going to start focusing more on battles, then I needed to make him an adult. But this really shocked them: “The series has finally gotten popular, and now you want to go and change everything!” That was the kind of reaction I got.
If anything, Toriyama indicates that the series had just become popular when he decided to do that.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:31 pm

I mean...why care? I don't get paid to worry about the franchise's financials, and I'm busy doing all my worrying about my bills (anyone wanna buy me a house so I can recover from my health issues in peace and quiet? Or maybe buy me a boob job?). So far there's nothing offensive about Daima that I feel like I need to worry about. I think it's important to have a flexible view on ideas in the arts so long as they don't actually harm anyone, which "Gokuu and friends get turned into kids" is just...not offensive. Blooma getting sexually assaulted for the nth time is offensive.
She/Her
bisexual milf