Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 100 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 100 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:47 am

Skar wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:24 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:54 amWhich i do have a problem with so i don't know why you thing i don't, but Toei is able to make up for it by being more entertaining with fights and visuals, were Toyo fails.
Toyo was the one who made Minus Bardock special with a random power up AND it was also his idea too have him show up for no reason in the arc. Toriyama's Bardock was a bum unlike Luffy and Naruto's dads who were some of the strongest in they series (we don't know about Luffy's yet, he might be a fraud lol).
We also have not seen a story that is full Toriyama (we have Minus and looks like Daima is one to) without Toei or Toyo interferens, who are the ones copying from newer shonen.
I was talking about changing Goku's backstory so that his parents were unique among Saiyans and the reason he was sent to Earth. It's a similar reveal that his parents influenced his journey and no longer a random Saiyan baby who was sent to conquer another planet. I'm not sure what else from Toei or Toyotaro was inspired by newer shonen or as obvious as that one imo. You seem more lenient towards Toriyama than anyone else involved in the series since you blamed someone else for Beast Gohan even though Toriyama agreed to use him and give him that form. If you ask a fan who doesn't know who behind these ideas which is more "edgy", I think they would say the design of Beast Gohan over Goten and Trunks helping out for a few extra panels.
Let's be real, you would not give him the time of the day if he did not write or draw for Dragon Ball, I only care because this is like watching a sunday league player playing for your favorite team that's a top club.
I mean it's the only series he's drawn. If he worked on another series or something original, I would give it a chance. If I felt the same way about it as you do for his current manga, I probably couldn't continue reading after the few chapters. I sometimes wonder how reactions would be if the anime and manga didn't exist and we just had movies then everything would have to directed towards Toriyama.
he worked on Heroes, that's what am talking about when i say sunday league, i have first hand experience at how shit he is lol.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:30 pm

I am no fan of the Super manga, but it’s comical seeing Goten and Trunks getting a few extra panels, two characters who did literally nothing in modern DB prior to this, yet Beast Gohan isn’t considered edgy when it’s a straight rehash of Gohan turning SSJ2. Even the name sounds edgy in a goofy way.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:05 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:47 amhe worked on Heroes, that's what am talking about when i say sunday league, i have first hand experience at how shit he is lol.
I meant series as in the DB franchise. Tbh you have some incredible patience to follow someone's work for over ten years while thinking it's shit if you start at Heroes. I'm wondering if Toyotaro came up with Jiren would you have still chose him as your avatar or shared the opinion that he's one of the most generic characters in the series.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:10 am

Skar wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:05 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:47 amhe worked on Heroes, that's what am talking about when i say sunday league, i have first hand experience at how shit he is lol.
I meant series as in the DB franchise. Tbh you have some incredible patience to follow someone's work for over ten years while thinking it's shit if you start at Heroes. I'm wondering if Toyotaro came up with Jiren would you have still chose him as your avatar or shared the opinion that he's one of the most generic characters in the series.
If it was the manga version?, HELL NO :lol:, i fell in love with the aura that the anime created for him, that's probably the best presentation of a strong enemy that the series ever done, that's why i have the cringy name :lol:, in the manga he was about to be low diff by Roshi (jk but still not a good showing). Him being generic is the point, that's Toriyama did not want him to be goofy, because his character represent only strength, Goku is fighting a wall, a wall that is strong because he fights alone and got stronger alone, until the end were Goku showed him that fighting together and for other makes you stonger then fighting alone.

Toyo writing for Heroes is okay, because i don't take Heroes seriously. That's his level, I'm just waiting for him to prove me wrong and show me he is above that. Because from his AF days undtil now.....let's just say that it's good that he has Toriyama by his side to cushion the fall a little bit.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:43 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:10 amIf it was the manga version?, HELL NO :lol:, i fell in love with the aura that the anime created for him, that's probably the best presentation of a strong enemy that the series ever done, that's why i have the cringy name :lol:, in the manga he was about to be low diff by Roshi (jk but still not a good showing). Him being generic is the point, that's Toriyama did not want him to be goofy, because his character represent only strength, Goku is fighting a wall, a wall that is strong because he fights alone and got stronger alone, until the end were Goku showed him that fighting together and for other makes you stonger then fighting alone.
I meant if Toyotaro was the one who created Jiren since you were accusing him of being inspired by newer shonen and Jiren is like every generic and forgettable strong guy in countless action series :P.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:48 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:43 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:10 amIf it was the manga version?, HELL NO :lol:, i fell in love with the aura that the anime created for him, that's probably the best presentation of a strong enemy that the series ever done, that's why i have the cringy name :lol:, in the manga he was about to be low diff by Roshi (jk but still not a good showing). Him being generic is the point, that's Toriyama did not want him to be goofy, because his character represent only strength, Goku is fighting a wall, a wall that is strong because he fights alone and got stronger alone, until the end were Goku showed him that fighting together and for other makes you stonger then fighting alone.
I meant if Toyotaro was the one who created Jiren since you were accusing him of being inspired by newer shonen and Jiren is like every generic and forgettable strong guy in countless action series :P.
I would accuse him of being inspired by Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star. And i would love it. You know, i have given Toyo praise before, like Ultra Ego and Trunks math teacher that looks like she was inspired by the real person Shakuntala Devi. If you want me to give a list of things that i like from him i can do that :lol:. But let me ask you this, do you feel like Toyotarou writes like he was inspired by Toriyama? Because to me, it doesn't feel like it.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:49 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:48 pmI would accuse him of being inspired by Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.
I can't tell if you're joking. You're saying you would only do that if Toyotaro came up with Jiren? As in you're only looking to compare it to another shonen when Toyotaro is writing?
And i would love it. You know, i have given Toyo praise before, like Ultra Ego and Trunks math teacher that looks like she was inspired by the real person Shakuntala Devi. If you want me to give a list of things that i like from him i can do that :lol:. But let me ask you this, do you feel like Toyotarou writes like he was inspired by Toriyama? Because to me, it doesn't feel like it.
Almost every current manga artist was inspired by Toriyama. Obviously all those artists are going to have different styles and not 100% identical to how he wrote the original manga since Toriyama writing style changed since then. I think it's unlikely one of the artists hired by Shuiesha to draw for the official series and working closest to Toriyama wasn't inspired by Toriyama.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:37 am

Skar wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:49 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:48 pmI would accuse him of being inspired by Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.
I can't tell if you're joking. You're saying you would only do that if Toyotaro came up with Jiren? As in you're only looking to compare it to another shonen when Toyotaro is writing?
And i would love it. You know, i have given Toyo praise before, like Ultra Ego and Trunks math teacher that looks like she was inspired by the real person Shakuntala Devi. If you want me to give a list of things that i like from him i can do that :lol:. But let me ask you this, do you feel like Toyotarou writes like he was inspired by Toriyama? Because to me, it doesn't feel like it.
Almost every current manga artist was inspired by Toriyama. Obviously all those artists are going to have different styles and not 100% identical to how he wrote the original manga since Toriyama writing style changed since then. I think it's unlikely one of the artists hired by Shuiesha to draw for the official series and working closest to Toriyama wasn't inspired by Toriyama.
Yes I'm joking, I'm talking about the way he writes the story is like modern shonen with the way he wrote Vegeta and Ultra Instinct, your talking about ONE character. I don't care were he gets the inspiration for a character, i was not one of the people that called Moro a Cell clone. And if he presented Jiren like the anime i would go down on him.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:04 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:37 amYes I'm joking, I'm talking about the way he writes the story is like modern shonen with the way he wrote Vegeta and Ultra Instinct, your talking about ONE character. I don't care were he gets the inspiration for a character, i was not one of the people that called Moro a Cell clone. And if he presented Jiren like the anime i would go down on him.
Well I couldn't tell if you were joking based on your other comments about Toyotaro and how you defined edgy. I'm not sure what about UI was inspired by modern shonen. I think the form itself might've been since the technique was based on martial artists and most likely has been covered by other shonen by now. Toyotaro had Roshi review Goku's previous lessons which I think made sense since the way Whis described it to Goku in RoF was similar to what he was taught by Popo.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:25 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:33 pm Makes me with Toyo would finish up the Revival F and do a volume or 2 of Broly, just so the manga doesn't feel disjointed.
This. Between the new anime/Super 2 possibly skipping Broly, Hero, Moro and Granolah and the manga skipping half of F and Broly it feels like no medium has a complete "revival story" in any shape or form.