Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:46 pm

Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:16 pm We have a web series special where the cast is turned into babies. Are you saying Daima will be treated by the audiences worldwide as the same 'main course' and franchise-progressing, storytelling vehicle as DB/DBZ/DBS/Movies were?
I am saying if Toei/Shueisha/Bandai had any interest in continuing the Super brand this web series would have been called Dragon Ball Super Daima or Dragon Ball Super Chibi or whatever.

And at this point, six years since the last episode aired you all really should be past the denial stage
Vegard Aune wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:39 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:04 pm It amazes me we haven't had a Super tv series since 2018 we have a brand new Dragon Ball series coming this year and people are still like "Dragon Ball Super season 2 is totally still happening y'all 😃"
Thing is, between the manga and the movies, Super has never really gone away. And at this point it feels like its additions to the canon have become rather too substantial to just stop dealing with, even though it looks like Daima is literally doing that, with allegedly no sign of Beerus anywhere. Yeah, yeah, Beerus technically predates Super by two years, but honestly, I find it hard to see Battle of Gods now as anything but "the start of Super" and by extension that Beerus is a DBS character first and foremost.

Though yeah, at this point it is starting to feel rather dubious if there will ever be more of the DBS TV show. Will the next Dragon Ball movie be labeled as part of Daima? Possibly. I suppose we can only wait and see.
Yes, Super hasn't really gone away, we had two movies since it ended and the manga is still ongoing, this is true

But the tv series has ended. If having a brand new series that doesn't even carry the Super name isn't the final hint that the IP holders have moved on (the first clue should have been no Super 2 after Digimon 2020 ended but whatever) idk what is. I wouldn't be surprised if the manga doesn't come to an end soon or get rebranded under the Daima name. And yeah in all likelihood the next movie will carry the Daima name or have a name that doesn't use Super or Daima.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:46 pm
Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:16 pm We have a web series special where the cast is turned into babies. Are you saying Daima will be treated by the audiences worldwide as the same 'main course' and franchise-progressing, storytelling vehicle as DB/DBZ/DBS/Movies were?
I am saying if Toei/Shueisha/Bandai had any interest in continuing the Super brand this web series would have been called Dragon Ball Super Daima or Dragon Ball Super Chibi or whatever.

And at this point, six years since the last episode aired you all really should be past the denial stage
Last year had a theatrical movie with a Super brand so what 'bout that denial again?

But the sub-brand is not really the main point I was talking about and already explained it. They could call it whatever, Dragon Ball ZzABC and it wouldn't matter but what DOES, for the worldwide audience, is continuing the main, core storyline that's been going on from around 2014.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:08 pm

I know this might sound weird but I think Daima might be an Streaming Show that's been prepared and labored on for years but Toei might do a "SUper 2" that's a Fuji TV anime to continue the manga. I say this because Daima might be a show Toei made for the streaming market even if they plan on airing on tv in some territories.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:08 pm

Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:57 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:46 pm

Last year had a theatrical movie with a Super brand so what 'bout that denial again?
. You're right last year had a movie with the Super branding. Now this year we have a web series that doesn't and it's still been six years since the Super tv series ended.

Which part aren't you getting?

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:12 pm

We already had a web series that didn't use Super's branding four months after Super ended. Doesn't seem like much of an indicator of anything to me.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:27 pm

I know its ridiculous to expect Super to ever come back. I just pointed out that All this preparation and care is extremely unusual for a tv show and that the Reason Toei could be doing it is because they wanted a streaming original and that could leave an opening for a Weekly TV show after they are done. Because if Toei is to be believed they worked on it for 2 years and its already done.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:33 pm

I just don't think about it anymore. That's really the best course of action. Will there be another broadcast television animated series? Who knows, things change! In the mean time, I've got other things to think about. Endlessly repeating the same thoughts and holding on to every little nibble of potential change and movement won't so anyone's health any good.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:08 pm . You're right last year had a movie with the Super branding. Now this year we have a web series that doesn't and it's still been six years since the Super tv series ended.

Which part aren't you getting that a one-off anniversary-special is not gonna be the longlasting catalyst for licensing, sales & merch as the main show with core storyline continuing would be, regardless if it's called Super, Daima, XYZtakethatSquareEnix+2-19.283 or Dragon Ball ToeiHatesYouAll.

Or actually - sure, you're right. The main story doesn't need to continue, the profits and sales will remain high forever and Toei doesn't EVER need to come out with new main content again.

Not like it would be the first entertainment company in the world to think stupidly like that and then find out that actually no - fans will not buy merch crap forever without new main storytelling content propelling the franchise and its narrative/universe forward.

But yeah, you're right. Super/Z/Whatever is not needed, just as it wasn't needed 10-20 years ago when sales of DB licensing & merch were just as high as today and really, Toei/Shueisha/Bandai wasted money needlesly producing new movies and main TV shows.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:14 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:12 pm We already had a web series that didn't use Super's branding four months after Super ended. Doesn't seem like much of an indicator of anything to me.
A dumb 8 minute webtoon series that never left Japan and just existed to promote a trading card game/arcade game isn't really comparable to a web series being released internationally and being pushed by Toei as the franchise big 40th anniversary celebration.

And let's ignore Daima for a second. Why would any sane person think a Super tv series season 2 is stil happening after all this time?

It's happening after Digimon 2020 *crickets*

Covid-19 delayed things a bit! *crickets*

They're giving the manga time to create more content even though they didn't care about that before *like 2 or 3 manga arcs later and 2 movies to retell later and crickets*

But Super s2 is coming soon, I'm sure. Definitely
:roll:
Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:57 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:08 pm . You're right last year had a movie with the Super branding. Now this year we have a web series that doesn't and it's still been six years since the Super tv series ended.

Which part aren't you getting that a one-off anniversary-special is not gonna be the longlasting catalyst for licensing, sales & merch as the main show with core storyline continuing would be, regardless if it's called Super, Daima, XYZtakethatSquareEnix+2-19.283 or Dragon Ball ToeiHatesYouAll.

Or actually - sure, you're right. The main story doesn't need to continue, the profits and sales will remain high forever and Toei doesn't EVER need to come out with new main content again.

Not like it would be the first entertainment company in the world to think stupidly like that and then find out that actually no - fans will not buy merch crap forever without new main storytelling content propelling the franchise and its narrative/universe forward.

But yeah, you're right. Super/Z/Whatever is not needed, just as it wasn't needed 10-20 years ago when sales of DB licensing & merch were just as high as today and really, Toei/Shueisha/Bandai wasted money needlesly producing new movies and main TV shows.
And now you're ranting about something I never said

I didn't say the main series wouldn't continue, I didn't say Daima was it. I said Dragon Ball Super season 2 specifically isn't happening. Not Dragon Ball [insert new title here] just Dragon Ball Super is done.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:14 pm And now you're ranting about something I never said

I didn't say the main series wouldn't continue, I didn't say Daima was it. I said Dragon Ball Super season 2 specifically isn't happening. Not Dragon Ball [insert new title here] just Dragon Ball Super is done.
Then why did you keep arguing after I already said MULTIPLE times that the subtitle is not even that important because it could be called Dragon Ball Whatever and the key element/issue would still be the main story/narrative/universe continuing (or not) :lol:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:48 pm

Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:03 amTBH, the lenght of preproduction, talent and resources allocated to this irks me a bit too because somehow, I just DON'T see Toei giving Super 2 the same 2-3 years of prep and top talent too...

Let's say they do. That would mean Super 2 wouldnt be out till... 2028? I mean c'mon.
Same. TOEI's decisions seem so random. It's like they're making decisions based on a dart board or spinning wheel. Would have been nice if they put this much time and work into Super instead of rushing through it as fast as possible. It's like they thought we'd lose interest if they didn't strike while the iron was hot. But now they know we're not going anywhere, instead of putting these resources into a continuation of the anime like millions asked for, they're like, "Dragon Ball Babies!"

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:24 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:48 pm
Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:03 amTBH, the lenght of preproduction, talent and resources allocated to this irks me a bit too because somehow, I just DON'T see Toei giving Super 2 the same 2-3 years of prep and top talent too...

Let's say they do. That would mean Super 2 wouldnt be out till... 2028? I mean c'mon.
Same. TOEI's decisions seem so random. It's like they're making decisions based on a dart board or spinning wheel. Would have been nice if they put this much time and work into Super instead of rushing through it as fast as possible. It's like they thought we'd lose interest if they didn't strike while the iron was hot. But now they know we're not going anywhere, instead of putting these resources into a continuation of the anime like millions asked for, they're like, "Dragon Ball Babies!"
The funniest part is how they actively ignored OG DB for the last 30 years or so, Kaified Z section of the story only and pushed that around the world (only further decreasing the appeal of non-remastered, non-modernized OG to the international distributors), then had 2 new big Z theatrical movies, then an entire massive Z-midquel TV series AND another 2 big theatrical movies which all catapulted a massive repeak of popularity for the franchise, record profits for Toei, Bandai and everyone involved. All along a slew of Z/Super-focused vidya games. An entire generation of brand new fans grew up with that, with many of these fans ALREADY entering their own respective 20s+ nostalgia phase. Nostalgia for Kai/Super. Not OG DB which most of them don't know at all, even less so than the original DBZ 80s/90s/early 00s fans.

All of that just to cancel Super, make fans wait years without any news about continuation and then come out with Daima and "back to kid Goku why aren't u happy" :lol:

I myself am one of the older fans in his 30s, but I'm not blind to the fact that not only OG DB and kid Goku were never ever remotely close in popularity akin to DBZ/Kai/Super (maybe except for Japan in the 80s or Latin America), nor to the fact that we have an entire new generation and a massive section of the fanbase that care EVEN LESS for kid Goku because they only grew up on Kai and Super, or Z/Kai/Super-centered fighting games. Really, my grandma could see the backlash coming from a mile.

If they really wanted to do it this way why not come out with a Kaified OG DB first? Give people a chance to get excited about the ancient kid Goku adventure roots of the franchise again. THEN announce Daima... Along with a reassurance that Super 2 will come out not long after. I mean... Just check youtube or Twitter and how much views, clicks and discussion the videos about Moro/Granolah arcs generate and the prospects of their adaptations. Do I love those arcs? Nope. Call me an old hater fan who will never be satisfied with any modern DB Super output/Toyatoro's writing abilities. But am I gonna feel sorry for Toei for the backlash they actively laid ground for themselves? NOPE. They made the fans (new ones especially) care for DBS manga and for Super/Z/Kai so what did they expect? :?:

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:00 am

That is very true. As much as people here like to say "Dragon Ball is Dragon Ball," that's never been the case. Z was always been more popular in the West, with many of my generation never even watching the original series, or starting it and getting bored halfway because it wasn't like they expected. The video games more often than not ignore the original series. It's rare that we see OG Dragon Ball representation in anything.

Taking the series back to its roots now is...a choice. Maybe it will be good. Maybe it won't. Either way, fans might be reluctant to give it a chance. I will personally remain skeptical until I see more.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:58 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:00 am

Taking the series back to its roots now is...a choice. Maybe it will be good. Maybe it won't. Either way, fans might be reluctant to give it a chance. I will personally remain skeptical until I see more.
We say taking it back to its roots but is it really? Other than Goku using his Nyoibo (which he did use in the first 2 Z movies) there's nothing about this so far that feels like back to og Dragon Ball. Goku and co look like chibi versions of their Boo era selves and not how they looked in original Dragon Ball and Goku doesn't even have his tail (Toriyama really hates those monkey tails I guess, he seems committed to never drawing them again after Gohan last had his in the Saiyan arc)

If anything, as of now Daima just reinforces that Toei and Shueisha don't give a shit about anything that happened before Raditz came to earth.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:58 am

We say taking it back to its roots but is it really? Other than Goku using his Nyoibo (which he did use in the first 2 Z movies) there's nothing about this so far that feels like back to og Dragon Ball. Goku and co look like chibi versions of their Boo era selves and not how they looked in original Dragon Ball and Goku doesn't even have his tail (Toriyama really hates those monkey tails I guess, he seems committed to never drawing them again after Gohan last had his in the Saiyan arc)

If anything, as of now Daima just reinforces that Toei and Shueisha don't give a shit about anything that happened before Raditz came to earth.
I can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass drawing those tails got to be once Toriyama began to increase the number of lines in his character arc during the Saiyan arc and onward. Like, we know how much he hates drawing Cell lol
Last edited by JulieYBM on Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:30 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:20 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:58 am

I can only imagine how much of a pain in the ass drawing those tails got to me once Toriyama began to increase the number of lines in his character arc during the Saiyan arc and onward. Like, we know how much he hates drawing Cell lol
Oh it had to be. Raditz, Vegeta, and Nappa had their tails wrapped around their waist most of the time and he kills off Raditz and Nappa pretty quickly and makes Vegeta lose his. And Gohan only had a tail just long enough to establish that "yep he's Goku's crotch spawn" and then once more to resolve the Vegeta conflict and then never again.

And only Goku had an actual explanation for why his never grew back (literal act of God). Gohan and Vegeta permanent tail loss is left to fanwankery

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:54 pm

Basaku wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:24 amI myself am one of the older fans in his 30s, but I'm not blind to the fact that not only OG DB and kid Goku were never ever remotely close in popularity akin to DBZ/Kai/Super
You say this as if "less popular" is the same thing as "unpopular".

Yes, there's parts of the fanbase that actively don't care for Pre-Z Dragon Ball, but I think you're downplaying how popular it is in its own right.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:43 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:54 pmbut I think you're downplaying how popular it is in its own right.
I think that could ring true, if we were having this conversation in say, 2004. Since then tho, a big chunk of the fanbase emerged that not so much "doesn't care for OG", but rather doesn't even know it at all in order to care one way or another. Kai and then Super completly dominated TV showings of the franchise around the world for the past 15 years. Yes, there are exceptions like some Latin Ameirca countries, but for the most part AND including Japan the new generations grew up almost solely on Kai and Super, sometimes GT. OG had the weakest presence out of the bunch and well... it's not my fault not what I woule've preferred. It's a direct result of Toei's actions too, ignoring the OG for so long, not creating a """""modernized"""""" Kai version etc.

In that context, if anything I would say people overestimate the popularity of OG if we're talking the reality of 2024 and the full spectrum of the current fanbase. Yes the oldest fans remember and liked it a lot (but liked Z much more) but it's been decades since then and for the newer, yet huge, chunk of the fanbase the OG is largely unknown.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:14 pm
A dumb 8 minute webtoon series that never left Japan and just existed to promote a trading card game/arcade game isn't really comparable to a web series being released internationally and being pushed by Toei as the franchise big 40th anniversary celebration.

And let's ignore Daima for a second. Why would any sane person think a Super tv series season 2 is stil happening after all this time?

It's happening after Digimon 2020 *crickets*

Covid-19 delayed things a bit! *crickets*

They're giving the manga time to create more content even though they didn't care about that before *like 2 or 3 manga arcs later and 2 movies to retell later and crickets*

But Super s2 is coming soon, I'm sure. Definitely
:roll:
I don't care about any of that, I just don't think "look at this web series" is proves very much. But thanks for acting like a smug prick anyway I guess?

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:17 pm

Yeah, I don't get this assertion that waiting for Super's anime return is so absurd. As if the last two movies and the still ongoing manga don't exist. Oh, yeah. Super is totally dead and buried, guys. lol

Even Daima doesn't necessarily point to the end of animated Super content. For all we know, the very next project after could be something Super related. (Especially if the series flops...)