One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: One Piece Remake, fans are so lucky...

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:04 pm

Manga Sailor Moon is peak media, always has been, shame Toei was so much of a mess around that time, I quite like Crystal S3 and the Eternal film, but it definitely doesn't do justice to a series that for both the original anime and manga, had such a amazing and influential look too it.

But the musicals we got around that time are stellar.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:10 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:53 pm
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:35 pm
Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:34 pm Sailor Moon fans thoght they were lucky back in 2012 too with Crystal announcement... we'll see how it goes.
"Oh my god, I'm finally going to see the anime as it was intended by the original author and... Wait... This is... Bad... This is terrible, actually... There is no damn way this was in the manga and... Oh no, it's 1:1 adaptation of the manga..."

Crystal completely shattered any bias I had that content not made by the original author was bad, or any content made by the original author was good.
For me, I had read the manga, but even then I was rather not prepared for how bad Crystal turned out to be. Granted, only part of that is down to the script. Crystal, at least in its first season, was just a disaster on pretty much every level. It was literally all the worst elements of the manga coupled with the worst of the 90s anime, failing to capture the good elements of either. It also led me to just feel that, with Sailor Moon, there is the potential for a great series in there but I don't think it's ever been fully realized. But who knows, maybe nowadays I might be more open to the more slice-of-life atmosphere of the 90s show. Watching it as a teenager I was just kinda frustrated at how little plot progression there was, but I feel like these days I'm much more willing to roll with purely character-focused stuff.
Ironically enough, the 90's Sailor Moon filler segments are its biggest strength. I don't know who was writing the anime at the time, but they had a golden sense of comedy. Every single scene is hilarious and every character is so relatable and full of life that it's hard not to like a single one.

Once you start reading the manga/watching Crystal, it comes as a complete shock that Sailor Moon was intended to be a dead-serious melodramatic soap opera about Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask's romance... and that was by far the most uninteresting aspect of the original. Doesn't help that every other character acts like a piece of cardboard.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:37 pm

Basaku wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:34 pm Sailor Moon fans thoght they were lucky back in 2012 too with Crystal announcement... we'll see how it goes.
"Oh my god, I'm finally going to see the anime as it was intended by the original author and... Wait... This is... Bad... This is terrible, actually... There is no damn way this was in the manga and... Oh no, it's 1:1 adaptation of the manga..."

Crystal completely shattered any bias I had that content not made by the original author was bad, or any content made by the original author was good.
Tbf my biggest problem with Crystal is what they did change from the manga, at least in the first season

In the manga the Inners killed the Shitennou and Venus even killed Beryl with the Moon sword. It made them seem a lot more useful than in the anime when they rarely got to kill a monster of the day. Crystal, for whatever reason, did away with that to focus on a stupid Senshi x Shitennou romance that was only implied in a single throwaway title page in the manga. It just felt super fanficcy.

Takeuchi didn't give them much development as is, so robbing them of their bad ass moments made it worse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:54 pm

God I LOVE that people called out Crystal. It is NOT a 1:1 adaptation. Its a lazy idiots idea of what adaptation is. I know that sounds the same as 1:1 but listen. A GOOD adaptation brings out the strenghts of the original and leaves out the bad. Crystal went out of its way to be AWFUL. A really superficially "pretty" art that looks like SHIT in motion, and that by proxy gets rid of all the cute faces from the manga. Every single charming or cute moment is surgically removed. The adaptation claims to be faithful but changes things for the worst. Each of the Four Heavenly Kings is kept alive past their deaths (Removing all of the guardians badass moments that involved killing them. And then doing absolutely nothing with this change further making all the girls other than Usagi useless and pointless. Absolutely NO filler to add some feats and quirks to the girls. Everything is PLOT PLOT PLOT. Whatever strenghts the manga had are gone from Crystal.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:08 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:04 pm Manga Sailor Moon is peak media, always has been, shame Toei was so much of a mess around that time, I quite like Crystal S3 and the Eternal film, but it definitely doesn't do justice to a series that for both the original anime and manga, had such a amazing and influential look too it.

But the musicals we got around that time are stellar.
Took a whole decade for them to make it!
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:49 am

Kid Buu wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:08 pm
Still haven't seen Cosmos, though it seems solid. Like I said Eternal was pretty good, and I think Stars is just a better arc then dream. Hope it gets a official release soon, I've been watching PGSM recently, and I will take any opportunity to spend money on SM merch.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:33 am

Crystal proved how much of the popularity and affinity for the characters SM owed to the 90s anime and its filler that developed everyone further. From the main girls to the villains. And how much Takeuchi benefited from it too

DB is not that extreme of an example, but let's not act like some of DB filler/original material wasn't just as beneficial to the franchise and Toriyama's vision - Bardock, Broly movies etc. And even some main show filler.

So yeah, they better be careful with that 1P remake to not remove stuff that actually enhanced the story and made people love the characters more

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:02 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:49 am
Kid Buu wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:08 pm
Still haven't seen Cosmos, though it seems solid. Like I said Eternal was pretty good, and I think Stars is just a better arc then dream. Hope it gets a official release soon, I've been watching PGSM recently, and I will take any opportunity to spend money on SM merch.
First time watching?

PGSM is GOAT as far as I am concerned.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:02 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:11 pm
ChronoTwigger wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:16 am -Dragon Ball is my best show, but it's against all of my values, I find it offensive up to disgust, and I want for it to be totally rewrote, so my beloved characters will get more focus (maybe some romance) and cut out the rest. It need a shift on focus, from plot profluence to deeper subtle meanings, so I can empathize with someone more. Ah, and the show is terrible with women, they have to change this entirely. But is my best show, I swear.-
JulieYBM and some others, regular Kanzenshuu contributors.
You know... Dragon Ball could, theoretically, have good writing, good representation AND good spectacular fights if either Toei, Toyotaro or Toriyama ever gave a damn about appealing to anyone else but little boys, or the lowest common denominator of adults.

If I criticize the series, it's because I respect it enough to want to see it be better than it already is.
Huh... Pushing past your limits... That's almost like... The entire message of DB or something... 🤔
Everyone is plenty right to criticize, as long the critiques are meaningful and lead to a debate (and not the fascism of an "ignore list" ). But you should agree that if the core of a narration is against your deep identity and values, it's very hard you can come with something that's not destroying the whole thing to refactor it by your own vision.
That's completely different to suggesting what could make the show better - you seems way too smart to believe the fake that "inclusive/representative is automatically better whatever" (check Disney fans about...), but this is exactly the first thing said. Not a word about a restyle, not a word into leaving behind the old broadcasting logics, first thing first the show is offending. Chance to bury this evil show. It sound really strange from people that are daily contributors, indeed. What they would do to their worst show instead XD?

Sorry the late reply, but this blatant mother died and you can figure out the mess, Oh, not the serious issues a queer face everyday by not being represented properly in Dragon Ball, I know.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:37 pm

Tbf my biggest problem with Crystal is what they did change from the manga, at least in the first season

In the manga the Inners killed the Shitennou and Venus even killed Beryl with the Moon sword. It made them seem a lot more useful than in the anime when they rarely got to kill a monster of the day. Crystal, for whatever reason, did away with that to focus on a stupid Senshi x Shitennou romance that was only implied in a single throwaway title page in the manga. It just felt super fanficcy.

Takeuchi didn't give them much development as is, so robbing them of their bad ass moments made it worse.
Ironically I didnt see this post before I made mine AND FINALLY someone agrees with me that Keeping the Shitennou alive WAS A SHIT TIER DECISION. Every one of my friends "No it was not a bad decision, changing things is okay tee hee." God how do I hate Crytal!!!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:07 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:52 pm

Ironically I didnt see this post before I made mine AND FINALLY someone agrees with me that Keeping the Shitennou alive WAS A SHIT TIER DECISION. Every one of my friends "No it was not a bad decision, changing things is okay tee hee." God how do I hate Crytal!!!
Right. I'm fine with change but when the change denies the non-Usagi girls their individual badass moments just for a fanfic tier ship that goes nowhere..

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:38 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:07 pm
Right. I'm fine with change but when the change denies the non-Usagi girls their individual badass moments just for a fanfic tier ship that goes nowhere..
Yup. Meanwhile the OG anime gave us the much beloved Naru/Nephrite romance miniarc and the first complex villain quasi-redemption story in the series and the massively appreciated gay pairing of Kunzite and Zoisite which was absolutely novel for the 90s.

I mean... in such context I think it would've been better recieved had they simply kept them all dead in Crystal rather than butcher their 90s legacy and the source manga material simultaneously

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:36 pm

I think that's really the main issue: They could have feasibly used it as a way to develop the characters more... But nope, instead all we get is the secondary leads being denied their shining moments of badassery and a romance that literally just amounted to two seconds of them staring longingly at each other while reciting titles as if that somehow constitutes characterization. And then the love interests all get smote by lighting and that's the end of that. It's, like... actually comical how badly it was handled.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 pm

Sheesh, I'm glad that I gave up on Crystal after the first cour—which was enough of a terrible experience with the non-existent production schedule, animation, and directing. It's such a shame that Takanashi Yasuharu's music is the one great thing to come of it. I think that it's a terrible shame that any new ideas added seemed to be undercooked, too. What a mess of a production.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 pm Sheesh, I'm glad that I gave up on Crystal after the first cour—which was enough of a terrible experience with the non-existent production schedule, animation, and directing. It's such a shame that Takanashi Yasuharu's music is the one great thing to come of it. I think that it's a terrible shame that any new ideas added seemed to be undercooked, too. What a mess of a production.
Season 3 was decent at least. I still wouldn't call it great by any means, but at least by that point it felt like there was some actual passion going into it.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:04 pm

Yeah from the storytelling/characterization perspective and pacing S3 at least resembles a decent production. Too bad it's also got the least appealing artstyle to me...

And steering from SMC for a moment - ya know what I think could use a remake far more than One Piece? The OG Saint Seiya anime, before Toei starts adapting Next Dimension. Heck, OG DB could've used that too before Daima...

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:05 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:36 pm

I think that's really the main issue: They could have feasibly used it as a way to develop the characters more... But nope, instead all we get is the secondary leads being denied their shining moments of badassery and a romance that literally just amounted to two seconds of them staring longingly at each other while reciting titles as if that somehow constitutes characterization. And then the love interests all get smote by lighting and that's the end of that. It's, like... actually comical how badly it was handled.
Yeah, that's the big problem with slavishly faithful adaptations in general. Any deviations from the source material they make can't matter because it has to default back to what the original version does due to the rules they imposed on themselves. A Shitennou x Senshi romance can't mean anything because they're not really around past the first arc so it still has to line up with the manga where they end up dying before the Dark Kingdom arc is over and have zero impact on the girls.

To a lesser extent Dragon Ball Z has this problem too(though not nearly as detrimental to the stort as Sailor Moon Crystal) Toei can add whatever scene they want of Gohan sneaking away from studying to practice martial arts, they still ultimately have a guy that would rather study than fight by the Boo arc because the manga always had Gohan as a nerd with no real interest in martial arts.
Basaku wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:04 pm . Heck, OG DB could've used that too before Daima...
They could have and probably should have done that for the 40th anniversary. Re-adapt the pre-Raditz material into a four cour 52 epsiode series with the first cour/first 13 episodes released in the fall of 24 and adapting the Shenron and 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arcs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:23 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:05 pm
Vegard Aune wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:36 pm

Yeah, that's the big problem with slavishly faithful adaptations in general. Any deviations from the source material they make can't matter because it has to default back to what the original version does due to the rules they imposed on themselves. A Shitennou x Senshi romance can't mean anything because they're not really around past the first arc so it still has to line up with the manga where they end up dying before the Dark Kingdom arc is over and have zero impact on the girls.

To a lesser extent Dragon Ball Z has this problem too(though not nearly as detrimental to the stort as Sailor Moon Crystal) Toei can add whatever scene they want of Gohan sneaking away from studying to practice martial arts, they still ultimately have a guy that would rather study than fight by the Boo arc because the manga always had Gohan as a nerd with no real interest in martial arts.
Basaku wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:04 pm . Heck, OG DB could've used that too before Daima...
They could have and probably should have done that for the 40th anniversary. Re-adapt the pre-Raditz material into a four cour 52 epsiode series with the first cour/first 13 episodes released in the fall of 24 and adapting the Shenron and 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arcs
Which is thus why i dropped Crystal pretty quick, because i prefer the approach the '90s anime took. Sure it's a looser adaptation and Toei took many liberties with the arcs but on the whole even if there are times where the classic series falls short plot wise i still enjoy it for what it is. Crystal OTOH, yeah...no. While the idea of making an accurate adaptation to Takeuchi's manga is good on paper it needs good execution which Crystal hasn't really pulled off in an effective manner and apparently the lack of passion on the part of the BTS crew and production issues only exacerbated it.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:05 pm They could have and probably should have done that for the 40th anniversary. Re-adapt the pre-Raditz material into a four cour 52 epsiode series with the first cour/first 13 episodes released in the fall of 24 and adapting the Shenron and 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arcs
Sigh what could've been... I imagine this would've also been met with a far more restrained reaction from the fanbase (particularly the younger section) as even the biggest Z/Kai/Super fanatics know there would be none of that without the OG, even if they never watched it. So a major anniversary treatement in form of a remake wouldn't be "too much" to pay respects to the franchise's roots. AND it could finally popularize the OG story in the XXI century 'cause lets be honest... the 80s OG is showing its age heavily and is a tough watch in this day and age not just because of the technical side or stark contrast to Z's hardcore fighting focus, but also because of very dated (even in Japan) neverending perv jokes, panties, butts, boobs and stuff in the first half...

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:47 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:10 pm
Vegard Aune wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:53 pm

For me, I had read the manga, but even then I was rather not prepared for how bad Crystal turned out to be. Granted, only part of that is down to the script. Crystal, at least in its first season, was just a disaster on pretty much every level. It was literally all the worst elements of the manga coupled with the worst of the 90s anime, failing to capture the good elements of either. It also led me to just feel that, with Sailor Moon, there is the potential for a great series in there but I don't think it's ever been fully realized. But who knows, maybe nowadays I might be more open to the more slice-of-life atmosphere of the 90s show. Watching it as a teenager I was just kinda frustrated at how little plot progression there was, but I feel like these days I'm much more willing to roll with purely character-focused stuff.
Ironically enough, the 90's Sailor Moon filler segments are its biggest strength. I don't know who was writing the anime at the time, but they had a golden sense of comedy. Every single scene is hilarious and every character is so relatable and full of life that it's hard not to like a single one.

Once you start reading the manga/watching Crystal, it comes as a complete shock that Sailor Moon was intended to be a dead-serious melodramatic soap opera about Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask's romance... and that was by far the most uninteresting aspect of the original. Doesn't help that every other character acts like a piece of cardboard.
One of possible reasons why Crystal S1 was so bad, is that Toei had very little faith in that project, they thought SM is dead, musicals were over and while PGSM live action 2003 series have lots of fans today, it had poor sales at release...so i can "kinda" understand very low budget and poor quality, luckly after Black Moon, it got better from S3 onward :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015