Another live action thread (yes, I know)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Another live action thread (yes, I know)

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:19 pm

It might be worth noting that DBE was a slapdash production that Fox put together specifically because the rights were set to expire if they didn’t get a movie into production.

Plus, I’d argue the 2000s wasn’t really an ideal time to adapt something as out there as Dragon Ball anyway. Even superhero movies were still pretty restrained at the time. Fox infamously made Galactus a giant cloud, because they thought a giant man in purple armor was too silly.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:18 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:27 pm It could actually work. Just don't make it a Japanese show because they are notoriously terrible actors.
So strange because they are such great voice actors.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:54 am

So strange, indeed, that it's actually just kind of a racist lie.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:12 am

I've been sleeping on an uncomfortable hotel bed all night, so I'll be so cunty as to call it an outright racist lie.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:01 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:54 am So strange, indeed, that it's actually just kind of a racist lie.
No it's actually well known. They are terrible actors in general. Not all obviously but largely yes. It's all over Google about it too.

Something maybe to do with their style perhaps but they always come across as over exaggerated and just plain corny. Almost as if they're trying too hard to emulate anime characters.

It was true of that recent Yu Yu Hakusho, the characters looked the part and the choreography was good and all but that acting was as usual, atrocious.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:09 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:01 pm
Shaddy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:54 am So strange, indeed, that it's actually just kind of a racist lie.
No it's actually well known. They are terrible actors in general. Not all obviously but largely yes. It's all over Google about it too.

Something maybe to do with their style perhaps but they always come across as over exaggerated and just plain corny. Almost as if they're trying too hard to emulate anime characters.

It was true of that recent Yu Yu Hakusho, the characters looked the part and the choreography was good and all but that acting was as usual, atrocious.
I haven’t watched the live action Yu Yu Hakusho, but if the actors are overacting as if they’re anime characters, that’s because that was the direction they were given, not because they’re incapable of handling subtlety.

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:19 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:09 pmI haven’t watched the live action Yu Yu Hakusho, but if the actors are overacting as if they’re anime characters, that’s because that was the direction they were given, not because they’re incapable of handling subtlety.
Its not from all the actors in the show so I don't think it was what they were going for no. Some of the more exaggerated characters from the anime had better acted live action counterparts than the more down to earth characters.

I've seen Japanese shows and movies not based on anime and it's been the same there as well. Maybe it's just intentional for their style and it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the world...or maybe they just suck.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:29 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:01 pm

Have you watched any live action Japanese show or movies that wasn't live action anime or a kids Tokusatsu super hero series like Kamen Rider or Super Sentai?

Your statement is racist and almost definitely based entirely in a very limited experience.

Watch Godzilla Minus One, or Ringu or Audition or Female Prison 701 Scorpion or literally anything that isn't live action anime

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:29 pmHave you watched any live action Japanese show or movies that wasn't live action anime or a kids Tokusatsu super hero series like Kamen Rider or Super Sentai?
I've never seen any Tokusatsu shows, though again the clips I have seen show as much again.
Your statement is racist and almost definitely based entirely in a very limited experience.
Not everything is racist just because it's 2024. I have a name based on a Japanese character from a Japanese video game while posting on a forum about a Japanese series.

I've seen a huge amount of live action Japanese movies. Not everyone is good at everything.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:44 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:39 pm I've seen a huge amount of live action Japanese movies. Not everyone is good at everything.
True. You for example ain't good at using your brain cells. We all got flaws. :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:50 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:39 pm

Not everything is racist just because it's 2024.
Nobody said everything is racist just that your statement was racist.

Because it is.

Amazing how that works!
. I have a name based on a Japanese character from a Japanese video game while posting on a forum about a Japanese series.
I know. I was going to point out the irony of a racist weeb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:58 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:39 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:29 pmHave you watched any live action Japanese show or movies that wasn't live action anime or a kids Tokusatsu super hero series like Kamen Rider or Super Sentai?
I've never seen any Tokusatsu shows, though again the clips I have seen show as much again.
Not everything is racist just because it's 2024. I have a name based on a Japanese character from a Japanese video game while posting on a forum about a Japanese series.

I've seen a huge amount of live action Japanese movies. Not everyone is good at everything.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:24 pm

Basaku wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:44 pmTrue. You for example ain't good at using your brain cells. We all got flaws. :thumbup:
And yours is getting offended on other people's behalf apparently.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:50 pmNobody said everything is racist just that your statement was racist.
If they're poor actors then they're poor actors.
I know. I was going to point out the irony of a racist weeb.
That's not what irony is...

My liking Japanese properties has nothing to do with Japanese actors and actresses being poor which again, no matter how offended people get over that is a well known thing regardless.

So what actually is ironic is you seemingly throwing the actors of live action anime movies under the bus as if that's an excuse for why their acting is poor...in a thread discussing....live action Dragon Ball.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:29 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:24 pm

That's not what irony is...
Someone who is a big enough of a weeb to name themselves after a Japanese video game character making racist statements against Japanese people is in fact ironic.

But nobody accused you of being particularly sharp.

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:29 pmSomeone who is a big enough of a weeb to name themselves after a Japanese video game character making racist statements against Japanese people is in fact ironic.
Yet again that's not actually what irony means. You're more bothered by being offended over something than actually making sense.

Having a username of a Tekken character and posting on a Dragon Ball forum doesn't mean I can't think Japanese are generally poor actors.

I'm also not a weaboo nor is my comment racist. It is a generalization. If I were to say that British people are generally poor at Ping Pong then you wouldn't get so uptight would you? So you're actually wrong on all three accounts.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:36 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:27 pm It could actually work. Just don't make it a Japanese show because they are notoriously terrible actors.
Under what metric?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:46 pm

Under the metric of Because-I-Said-So-And-I-AM-NOT-RACIST-DAMMIT. Also no one tell him that generalizations about an entire nation of people ARE RACIST.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:48 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:36 pmUnder what metric?
What metric could exist for such a thing? It's not like there's a review system for acting by nationality. It's just from observation and experience.

Just like there's a huge anime fanbase there's also one for live action dramas and it's pretty unanimous that Japanese are quite inferior to their Korean counterparts due to the acting.

They overact, which is probably why they make very good voice actors for anime and games but they seem to carry the same style over to live action and it doesn't work. Like Yu Yu Hakusho.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:49 pm

The gaslighting is strong with this one.

"I'm not being racist, you're just easily offended."

"What I'm saying is common knowledge, you're just too easily offended to accept it."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:56 pm

So! Live action! I would love to see a live action series cast and filmed in Japan. I think that Toei's regular pool of action directors would be amazing for a live action Dragon Ball series. A series directed by Sakamoto Kou-ichi would be so much fun to watch because of his love of different typew of action.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf