What are the thoughts of the Japanese people regarding Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverChin

What are the thoughts of the Japanese people regarding Dragon Ball Super?

Post by SilverChin » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:46 pm

Do most of them like it, or do they hate it? Or is the public there very divided, like in the West?

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Re: What are the thoughts of the Japanese people regarding Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Mireya » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:12 am

SilverChin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:46 pm Do most of them like it, or do they hate it? Or is the public there very divided, like in the West?
There was a lot of criticism like we got here about the animation (dunno if to the same extent) and some about character portrayal, but it seems there's generally a positive and nostalgic perception, but many watch it for the nostalgia value, specially the grown ups, kids are more interested in other series, I'd say. But it's overall tough to say, that's just a general perception I get.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:53 am

You could look up the ratings, which is kinda an objective way to measure interest.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:10 pm

Jord wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:53 am You could look up the ratings, which is kinda an objective way to measure interest.
Which website is reliable to compare anime score? In this case to compare DBS to DB, DBZ and GT?

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:11 am

It's very difficult to get an idea of the Japanese fan perspective without a site translator or someone who lives in Japan contributing to the conversation.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:46 am

A friend of mine who lives there said it's mixed but leans more to a positive reception, considerably so, though many watch it more for the nostalgia value. But he said it's also difficult to tell, it's his perception based on fans he speaks to and social medias' discussions he frequents... That's not as solid as a survey encompassing a wide range of fans haha. But I think just the fact it's still going shows the reception wasn't bad at all, unlike GT...
Last edited by Mireya on Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:49 am

Following both Japanese and English-language social media reactions, they're virtually identical to ones in English-speaking countries. Basically every take I've seen in English, I've also seen in Japanese. The only difference is perhaps that it's obvious more kids (the actual target demographic) got into Dragon Ball through the Super anime in Japan (did it really reach any with its airings in the States and other countries?), along with through games (though that seems to be pretty common in the States as well).

Which is all to say, it depends on who you ask. The Japanese fandom is no more monolithic than the English-language one.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:55 pm

Cipher wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:49 am Following both Japanese and English-language social media reactions, they're virtually identical to ones in English-speaking countries. Basically every take I've seen in English, I've also seen in Japanese. The only difference is perhaps that it's obvious more kids (the actual target demographic) got into Dragon Ball through the Super anime in Japan (did it really reach any with its airings in the States and other countries?), along with through games (though that seems to be pretty common in the States as well).

Which is all to say, it depends on who you ask. The Japanese fandom is no more monolithic than the English-language one.
Yup. The only difference one could note is the dominace of DB in the West over 99% of other anime franchise, while in Japan it's "one of many giants". Yes it's still HUGE and it's obviously trated as a legendary international-success property but it ain't quite the singular status as in the West, there's just more anime that got massive in Japan.

It's the same as with Batman in the West. Yes it's absolutely one of the core TOP heroes of all time but it's not a 99% dominance over other super heroes. Other comic book characters are regularly scoring massive box office hits or succesful new print runs/reboots.

Or you know, BTS/Blackpink - most succesful k-pop acts in the West but in their homeland Korea they're not quite the same sole game in town.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:13 pm

I am not in Japan neither do I know any japanese in person but I think the cancellation of the anime and the creation of Dragon Ball Daima as well as stating that DB Super heroe does not happen in the DBS anime universe, is the reliable proof that, currently, it is not a good moment for DBS.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:20 am

Saiya6Cit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:13 pm I am not in Japan neither do I know any japanese in person but I think the cancellation of the anime and the creation of Dragon Ball Daima as well as stating that DB Super heroe does not happen in the DBS anime universe, is the reliable proof that, currently, it is not a good moment for DBS.
I'm sorry, since when does Super Hero not happen in the DBS universe?
Jiren, The Tournament of Power and Ultra Instinct are all directly referenced.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:08 pm

Cipher wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:49 am Following both Japanese and English-language social media reactions, they're virtually identical to ones in English-speaking countries. Basically every take I've seen in English, I've also seen in Japanese. The only difference is perhaps that it's obvious more kids (the actual target demographic) got into Dragon Ball through the Super anime in Japan (did it really reach any with its airings in the States and other countries?), along with through games (though that seems to be pretty common in the States as well).

Reminds me Herms commented that after leaving Super Broly's theater, he heard Japanese fans complaining about stuff like the lack of tension, and said that DB fans are the same everywhere :lol:.
Saiya6Cit wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:13 pm I am not in Japan neither do I know any japanese in person but I think the cancellation of the anime and the creation of Dragon Ball Daima as well as stating that DB Super heroe does not happen in the DBS anime universe, is the reliable proof that, currently, it is not a good moment for DBS.
I haven't heard any statements about Super Hero not happening in DBS' setting, and if anything, Toyotaro adapting it is indication that it's meant to be part of Super.
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:20 am I'm sorry, since when does Super Hero not happen in the DBS universe?
I don't think Ultra Instinct was referenced in either of post ToP movies, even indirectly.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:16 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:20 am
I'm sorry, since when does Super Hero not happen in the DBS universe?
Honestly Goku in that movie was written really bad, contradicts everything about Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and even Dragon Ball Super.
We are expected to believe that Goku has no clue about meditation or about using their powers efficiently, basically Goku has no clue what Vegeta was talking about, which is a huge contradictions.

Goku learned about meditation in DB with Mr Popo
Goku explained why Ginyu couldn't use more than 23,000 power perfectly.
Goku praised Vegeta for doing standing meditation to try and ascend to the next level in the Cell Saga.
Goku used meditation to unlock SSJ Grade 2 and SSJ Grade 3.
Goku meditated in the Buu Saga in otherworld, before the 25th Martial Art Tournament.
Goku meditated in DBS Manga and anime.
Goku meditated in DBS Manga to unlock TUI.

Broly could have been the clueless one about meditation and about using his power efficiently, but no Toei has to make Goku dumb, no matter how much that contradicts DB/DBZ/DBS and doesn't make sense at all.

In the movie we are expected to believe that Goku can't use UI at will, like he hasn't made any progress after the ToP.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:21 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:16 pm Honestly Goku in that movie was written really bad, contradicts everything about Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and even Dragon Ball Super.
We are expected to believe that Goku has no clue about meditation or about using their powers efficiently, basically Goku had no clue what Vegeta was talking about, which is a huge contradictions.

Goku praised Vegeta for doing standing meditation to try and ascend to the next level in the Cell Saga.
Goku meditated in the Buu Saga in otherworld, before the 25th Martial Art Tournament.

Broly could have been the clueless one about meditation and about using his power efficiently, but no Toei has to make Goku dumb, no matter how much that contradicts DB/DBZ/DBS and doesn't make sense at all.

In the movie we are expected to believe that Goku can't use UI at will, like he hasn't made any progress after the ToP.
That was a problem in regular Super, too.
I remember when watching the ToP for the first time, how Ultra Instinct was hailed by the fans as this fantastic transformation.
All I could think of, "Wait... Moving without thinking... Haven't we been here before?... Wasn't Mr. Popo's training all about training Goku to think beyond his senses? Goku should already know all of this, this new 'fantastic Whis training' is bullshit!"
The amount of lambasting I had gotten from fans, only to see my views validated in the manga.
In the anime, Goku "achieves" Ultra Instinct by tanking a Genki Dama (and even that doesn't make any goddamn sense)
In manga, he achieves it by Roshi reminding him that he should already know how to do this.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:31 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:21 pm
super michael wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:16 pm Honestly Goku in that movie was written really bad, contradicts everything about Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and even Dragon Ball Super.
We are expected to believe that Goku has no clue about meditation or about using their powers efficiently, basically Goku had no clue what Vegeta was talking about, which is a huge contradictions.

That was a problem in regular Super, too.
I remember when watching the ToP for the first time, how Ultra Instinct was hailed by the fans as this fantastic transformation.
All I could think of, "Wait... Moving without thinking... Haven't we been here before?... Wasn't Mr. Popo's training all about training Goku to think beyond his senses? Goku should already know all of this, this new 'fantastic Whis training' is bullshit!"
The amount of lambasting I had gotten from fans, only to see my views validated in the manga.
In the anime, Goku "achieves" Ultra Instinct by tanking a Genki Dama (and even that doesn't make any goddamn sense)
In manga, he achieves it by Roshi reminding him that he should already know how to do this.
True you are right, moving without thinking was taught by Mr Popo, including on not relying on his eyes.

Goku demonstrated the perfect stance against King Chappa, so there isn't any opening.
Goku demonstrated that he could see what his opponent was doing, without even using his eyes against Tenshinhan. Tenshinhan was surprised that Goku knew what him and his clone were going to do without looking at them.
Goku moving without thinking, I can't remember which battle he first demonstrated this.

Although in the manga Goku learned how to harden his body automatically, that is something that Goku never demonstrated in DB/DBZ. Goku has demonstrated that he can create a giant avatar of himself, which is another new ability.

As for how Goku gained UI in the ToP, I agree with you it was bad in both anime and manga. Why does Master Roshi even have a skill that resembles UI, that should be Piccolo who has Nails, Piccolo Daimao and Kami memories, skills and knowledge.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:36 pm

super michael wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:31 pm . Why does Master Roshi even have a skill that resembles UI, that should be Piccolo who has Nails, Piccolo Daimao and Kami memories, skills and knowledge.
Huh? He doesn't. He just knows Goku should know this because he observed Goku at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:36 pm
super michael wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:31 pm . Why does Master Roshi even have a skill that resembles UI, that should be Piccolo who has Nails, Piccolo Daimao and Kami memories, skills and knowledge.
Huh? He doesn't. He just knows Goku should know this because he observed Goku at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai
In the manga Beerus mention his movements looks like UI, then Whis mentions while they resemble Ui, it is a far cry from that technique. It is similar in principles. The chapter is 39 in DBS manga.

The next part your are correct. Master Roshi mentions to think about every Goku learned from all his masters.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:56 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:21 pm That was a problem in regular Super, too.
Honestly the problem is that Toriyama introduced this then just forgot it by, the 23rd tournament itself lol.

Hell in Super Hero we have Vegeta saying Jiren is super badass because he can remain calm until the moment he strikes, unleashing his power then, making him unpredictable and very hard hitting, which, Goku himself already did it in Namek when fighting Jeece and Burter (To the point that, when I was re-reading it, Vegeta thinks to himself that Goku was doing that to conserve energy, not unlike Jiren)... Then never again.

Essentially Super is just using things that Toriyama already introduced, forgot about/abandoned, and making them a big deal again.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:32 am

Lukmendes wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:56 pm
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:21 pm That was a problem in regular Super, too.
Honestly the problem is that Toriyama introduced this then just forgot it by, the 23rd tournament itself lol.

Hell in Super Hero we have Vegeta saying Jiren is super badass because he can remain calm until the moment he strikes, unleashing his power then, making him unpredictable and very hard hitting, which, Goku himself already did it in Namek when fighting Jeece and Burter (To the point that, when I was re-reading it, Vegeta thinks to himself that Goku was doing that to conserve energy, not unlike Jiren)... Then never again.

Essentially Super is just using things that Toriyama already introduced, forgot about/abandoned, and making them a big deal again.
Goku was so good at controlling his powers, that he was able to trick the scouters. The scouters didn't have time to show Goku true power, since Goku went low to high and high to low really fast.

Toei forgot that Goku wanted to teach and train Gohan in the Saiyan Saga, so Goku didn't have any issues there.
Goku trained Gohan in the ROSAT and taught him also.

Then Toei expects us to believe that he has trouble teaching Oob in DBS, when Dende mentions that Oob will need a mentor. They made it looks like a big deal that Goku has no idea how to teach or train anyone.