How did Cell know Geros Shutdown remote was destroyed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TobyS
I Live Here

How did Cell know Geros Shutdown remote was destroyed?

Post by TobyS » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:09 pm

There's a panel where Cell is fleeing from Piccolo, around the time he passes Vegeta and he says, according to my translation

"what concerned me most was the remote shutdown switch for 17 and 18 if they were no longer operative destroying even those two would be a simple task for anyone... ... but luckily for me no such switch exists..."

How could he know? He is suprised by everyones power so it's not like he was watching.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Bloodthroe

Re: How did Cell know Geros Shutdown remote was destroyed?

Post by Bloodthroe » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:27 pm

He might just be aware that Dr. Gero's lab is destroyed and assumed the remote along with it. Sounds like a bit of sloppy exposition on the writers part, though.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:34 pm

Bloodthroe wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:27 pm He might just be aware that Dr. Gero's lab is destroyed and assumed the remote along with it. Sounds like a bit of sloppy exposition on the writers part, though.
But he hatched near Ginger town, I don't think he's been over to Geros lab. It's probably exposition as you said, although I like to find an in universe answer where possible. I guess assumptions all we can go on. One reddit user suggest he's in contact with Geros computer but I don't think so, wouldn't it warn him about the plans on the desk and shit or want to protect baby cell or anything.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:41 am

Well, he stated the androids from his time were defeated by Trunks, somehow. Maybe he associated that with the remote control... As for why he assumed that no longer existed, I don't know. I'd imagine he thought Trunks would get the control from Gero's lab, that in his timeline he knew somehow it wasn't destroyed when Gero was killed due to different circumstances, maybe... while he knew it was in this timeline. Weird though, I've no clue. Because if he thought that the controller was made by Bulma, he wouldn't rule the possibility. So him having data on these specific events (assuming it wasn't destroyed in his timeline) would be my way to explain that as weird as that sounds.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:56 am

Perhaps simply knowing both the dragon team and androids were alive meant Gero wasn't.

The only way he could send the androids on them is with the remote, and the only way he lives is to shut them down.

Perhaps he shouldn't have confirmation the androids are alive but I guess he sensed the dragon teams chi drop, and I guess Piccolo would have mentioned if they won.