Has anyone heard anything about Dragon Ball's Cambodian broadcast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Has anyone heard anything about Dragon Ball's Cambodian broadcast?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:24 am

Sadly what is known appears to be very scarce.

There is this one image floating around, apparently of a tourist watching the series although its quite blurry but the watermark bears a resemblance to CTV9's logo.

Thankfully kei17 has been able to dig up these social media posts, which appear to imply Z was aired during the 2010s and possibly followed up by Super:

https://twitter.com/pairbackpacker/stat ... 9643019264
カンボジアで、ドラゴンボールZ やってる!!!
ナメック星で、クリリンが長老に能力開花してもらったところ!!!
ベジータも出てる!

懐かしい・・・
何しゃべってるかわからないけどw
2012年4月14日
in English wrote:Dragon Ball Z is being broadcast in Cambodia!
Krillin has just gotten his latent power awakened by the Eldest! I see Vegeta too!

Brings back memories...
I don't understand what they speak though lol
April 14th 2012
https://twitter.com/sinpa_tundora/statu ... 3193933824
カンボジア毎日2話ドラゴンボールやってるんだが前来た時(5月末)はまだセルだったのに超になっとることに気づいた
2018年9月13日
in English wrote:They air two episodes of Dragon Ball per day in Cambodia, and I noticed it's already Super though it was still the Cell arc when I visited here last time in the end of May.
September 13th 2018
Also, in relation to the above image the poster wrote:
in English wrote:Dragon Ball in Cambodia now lol
I don't understand Cambodian so with English subs lol
September 1st 2013
So Khmer dub with English subs I assume? One anime fan I've spoken to from Cambodia doesn't know if he saw Dragon Ball Z (although it did always seem familiar whenever he seen images) but said he watched a lot of anime on CTV9 and they all aired with Khmer dubs.

Also, courtesy of kei17 we have fans on Facebook claiming that TV9 was indeed the channel that ran Dragon Ball Z. I have asked another Cambodian if this information is true and although they couldn't say 100% for sure it sounded right to them:

Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Has anyone heard anything about Dragon Ball's Cambodian broadcast?

Post by Tian » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:02 pm

I remember Kei commenting that the broadcast was censored, specially in the Freeza saga.

Apparently, Cambodian TV stations seem to have more strict standards on violence nowadays due to historical reasons (the violent Khmer Rogue regime)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Has anyone heard anything about Dragon Ball's Cambodian broadcast?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:55 pm

Tian wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:02 pm I remember Kei commenting that the broadcast was censored, specially in the Freeza saga.

Apparently, Cambodian TV stations seem to have more strict standards on violence nowadays due to historical reasons (the violent Khmer Rogue regime)
Yes I remember that too. There was apparently a blog written by a Japanese member of a humanitarian aid project, which referenced the Cambodian dub/lector and the Freeza fight specifically, although sadly I don't know if this blog still exists. Hopefully someone can dig it up if it does.

It would be really interesting to see what other scenes were censored in this version.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: