Could this be the reason they don't continue DB Super series yet?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Could this be the reason they don't continue DB Super series yet?

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:56 am

For me the best possible explanation for this is the one given by Geekdom101 in a video, which was also discussed by a LATAM fan page
The Moro & Hitta arcs and the Super Hero prequel chapters just aren't long enough to make a weekly tv series as long as "Super 1" and Fuji TV want Super 2 to be long because schedule bla bla bla I don't need to explain how things work
They would need to make a lot of fillers and adapt the Broly & Super Hero movies into arcs to make a lot of episodes, and maybe they know fans wouldn't appreciate that.
At least I believe that's the main reason, there could very well be more.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:03 pm

They could have adapted the unused content from Toriyama's scripts for Broly and Super Hero if they want to add more to the episode count. The Moro saga would take a while to finish given how long it was.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:32 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:56 am For me the best possible explanation for this is the one given by Geekdom101 in a video, which was also discussed by a LATAM fan page
The Moro & Hitta arcs and the Super Hero prequel chapters just aren't long enough to make a weekly tv series as long as "Super 1" and Fuji TV want Super 2 to be long because schedule bla bla bla I don't need to explain how things work
They would need to make a lot of fillers and adapt the Broly & Super Hero movies into arcs to make a lot of episodes, and maybe they know fans wouldn't appreciate that.
At least I believe that's the main reason, there could very well be more.
And yet, the manga chose to spend a year adapting Super Hero.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:59 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:03 pm They could have adapted the unused content from Toriyama's scripts for Broly and Super Hero if they want to add more to the episode count. The Moro saga would take a while to finish given how long it was.
They could, but Daima's production had already started before the Hitta Arc ended and the Super Hero movie was released, so I believe they would have to choose between making just Daima or Daima and Super 2 at the same time, I don't need to say which is the best choice. The Moro arc in the anime would be long but not so much, TV standards changed, the reason why the Z anime arcs were so long revolves around the time in which the anime was made, that doesn't exist anymore, Moro arc would be longer than the Saiyajin Arc at best.
AliTheZombie13 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:32 pm And yet, the manga chose to spend a year adapting Super Hero.
I believe they were aware about Daima, so they saw that there was no need to deliver a new arc in the manga right away because Super 2 wasn't going to happen.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:23 pm
Metalwario64 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:52 pm Are we really gonna keep up the "cast is so old" threads?
Good thing someone said it already. I hope Nozawa is kept on the role until her death bed to make all these vultures feel like shit.
Yay for forcing people to perform when they're almost dead or very sick. Such a caring approach towards elder VA.
How did that work out for the announcer/Kaio's VA again?

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:00 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:03 pm They could have adapted the unused content from Toriyama's scripts for Broly and Super Hero if they want to add more to the episode count. The Moro saga would take a while to finish given how long it was.
Agree. Moro and Granolah could use some extending in many parts too, especially Moro's background should be far more developed as there's just... not enough there in the manga IMO. Heeters in Granolah arc too, lots of potential there. (i pray they change Heeters' outfits in the flashbacks tho, no one wears the same thing for 40 years ffs lol)

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:05 pm

Jord wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 pm
Metalwario64 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:52 pm Are we really gonna keep up the "cast is so old" threads?
Good thing someone said it already. I hope Nozawa is kept on the role until her death bed to make all these vultures feel like shit.
Yay for forcing people to perform when they're almost dead or very sick. Such a caring approach towards elder VA.
I know it was a really shitty thing to say, but these people piss me off. Its not like they care any about what Nozawa wants. Just that she is replaced.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:57 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:05 pm
Jord wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 pm

I know it was a really shitty thing to say, but these people piss me off. Its not like they care any about what Nozawa wants. Just that she is replaced.
Who said anything about replacing her? I only speculated what could be the reason they still don't start season 2. If you ask my opinion about replacing her I think she should do the job until in good health.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:26 am

I don't think any of Toeis business decisions has anything to do with the story flow or the age of the actors. Like mentioned these are BUSINESS decisions first and foremost and this resolved around money earned, money spent, series aclaim, reception etc

Why do a weekly shonen anime if the movies, games or manga provide enough and with the show there is always a risk, someone will not be happy? The first running of Super proved to be financial beneficial but the reception was sometimes mixed and the show had its disastrous production moments.

That's why I thought the moment Super ended, they will not be returning to it anytime soon and right now it holds true. And why would they? They still produce a successful movie every couple years which costs ton of money, they are making an anime series spinnoff and for the Super's plot, there is always the manga.

We have to understand Toei is a corpo first and foremost and I really doubt Toei heads care anything about the finality of the story or when it's best to end. I think as long as it's profitable they will do what they want. Milk the series until EoZ. Go beyond EoZ. Or go in another direction entirely.

Besides that Super is not the only property of Toei so decisions on which product to focus, which give manpower and which will have priority on the screen is also taken into consideration.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:15 pm

The Super Anime was created to adapt new Toriyama-penned storylines (Destroyer Tournament saga, Future Trunks saga, Tournament of Power saga) in an animated format. After they adapted the Tournament of Power, they had no reason to continue. They had no material left.

The Moro arc and Granolah arc are Toyotaro creations with some arbitrary input from Toriyama. They are not Toriyama-penned stories like Destroyer Tournament/Zamasu and Goku Black/Tournament of Power. This is why none of the events of the two Manga-only arcs had any relevance for the Super Hero movie made by Toriyama.

Toriyama has certainly helped Toyotaro write those two arcs; but in the end, those two arcs are Toyotaro's creations, not Toriyama's. Thus, Toei is not interested in animating them. Because, ultimately, they want to animate Toriyama's storylines, not Toyotaro's. Otherwise, they would not have made their own unique spin on the Toriyama notes and wouldn't have gotten ahead of Toyotaro with their Anime.

The Anime will not return until Toriyama decides to write another long storyline that cannot be condensed into one movie, in the Super timeframe of course.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:53 pm

If they adapt Broly-Super Hero into episodes, I would imagine the episode count be:

Broly Saga: 18 episodes (BOG saga in Super had a similar episode count)
Moro Saga: 29 episodes
Granolah Saga: 24 episodes:
Super Hero Saga: 13 episodes

That would be over 78 new episodes to adapt at the moment.
She/Her

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:44 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:53 pm If they adapt Broly-Super Hero into episodes, I would imagine the episode count be:

Please, no.
They tried with Garlic Jr. It turned out terrible.
They tried with BotG. It turned out terrible.
They tried with RoF. It turned out terrible.

Nothing good comes out of stretching an hour-long movie into 15 episodes of nothing.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:38 am

With Broly, you could use ideas from the unsed 3 hour script that Toriyama originally wrote.
She/Her

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:53 am

Like, it's possible...but it requires subplots that actually lead to character development and thematic cohesion. Toriyama needs to work with other creators and use their ideas to actually achieve a story that could fit a longer runtime.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:02 am

They only adapted the two movies because they wanted to cash in on RoF's success but also give Toriyama time to craft his new storylines (aka Destoyer Tournament, Zamasu/Goku Black, Tournament of Power). Essentially, they wanted to have their cake (new anime right after RoF's success) and eat it too (Toriyama-penned storylines).

But then they had to create those two movie arcs, which are essentially glorified filler, to give Toriyama time to cook.

I thought that was pretty obvious in how rushed, ugly, and badly-animated those two arcs were. Under no other circumstances would those two arcs have existed, and Toei wanted to cash in on the franchise's success immediately after RoF.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:11 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:44 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:53 pm If they adapt Broly-Super Hero into episodes, I would imagine the episode count be:

Please, no.
They tried with Garlic Jr. It turned out terrible.
They tried with BotG. It turned out terrible.
They tried with RoF. It turned out terrible.

Nothing good comes out of stretching an hour-long movie into 15 episodes of nothing.
I disagree about Battle of Gods in Super. It works well. RoF is awful because the movie is awful. Garlic Jr. arc might have been better as a movie or just shaved off a few episodes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:17 pm

While the Garlic Jr arc wasn’t very good I wouldn't call it a redux/adaptation of the movie. Other than Toei getting lazy and having Garlic Jr defeated the same way twice it was pretty much its own thing, a lesser tv sequel to a solid Dragon Ball movie.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:27 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:11 am I disagree about Battle of Gods in Super. It works well. RoF is awful because the movie is awful. Garlic Jr. arc might have been better as a movie or just shaved off a few episodes.
I don't know about you, but I found myself increasingly frustrated with Super's adaptation of BotG and RoF.

There were multiple episodes in which next-to-nothing happened, and the episodes ended with the same boring cliffhanger that promised and never delivered: "Oh no, something bad is about to happen with the universe... But you're not going to guess what... FIND OUT NEXT EPISODE!!!" (Next episode, nothing happens either)

Either that, or the even worse, "Ha!!! That entire episode-long fight was just a warm up, I wasn't even using 1% of my power, NOW WE'RE GOING TO FIGHT FOR REAL!!!" (Next episode... They're still not fighting for real)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:41 pm

I think that the adaptions were poorly done, myself. I think they could have been much better with planning out the story and how to deliver the character arcs in ways that improved upon the film. Unfortunately, the production committee really screwed over the production crew, and I think that that's a real shame consider that among how few good staff were working on the series, they could have easily done much better work if they weren't forced to cobble the plot together a month before an episode needed to be broadcast.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:55 pm

It's well known that the production of Super was deeply troubled, with multiple, egregious examples of new low points for the entire franchise in terms of art, animation and storytelling. It's likely that a large part of the cause of this was from having to work off "outlines" (or films) instead of adapting manga. Its certainly possible that they've been waiting for more manga content before starting again - its clear that Toyo has a better sense for how the characters should be written - but its also possible that they just want to move on, or even that Toriyama hasn't given them his blessing to proceed. It's also clear that he's a lot more excited by the films, and we know he was not pleased with the Super anime. Yes, this is a business decision, but its also a creative one!