Could this be the reason they don't continue DB Super series yet?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Could this be the reason they don't continue DB Super series yet?

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:32 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:25 pm I dunno, all in all I just think it's a little weird to act like stakes shouldn't matter in a story where evil bastards who can destroy entire solar systems with their eyebrow hairs are constantly threatening the lives of the characters we love. If you don't want stakes to matter, go watch Clifford the Big Red Dog or Non Non Biyori or Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends or something like that lol
Why do they matter to you? Why do you care if the world is put in danger? It's not like the multiverse is actually going to end in the world of the story. We know Piccolo won't actually succeed in killing everyone. We know Vegeta won't succeed in murdering everyone. So why do you care about those sorts of stakes?

I know what matters to me. The stakes are part of the plot which exists to push forward the characters, but it's not why audiences care. Stakes like Goku winning the Tenkaichi Budokai register more for me because they aren't so absurdly high so as to give away the ending (e.g. if the good guys losing results in the end of the world there's little reason to think they won't save the day) because there is a good chance Goku won't win.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:34 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:37 pm Why do the ridiculous stakes bother you? Oh, and the tournament wasn't Goku's idea, either.
The ridiculous stakes don't bother me.
What bothers me is what they do with them.

It feels like getting erased from existence is not a ridiculous enough condition for the writers, as Goku tries to lie about what he's done like a child who just done fucked up and is embarrassed to tell his parents, and the reaction of multiple characters upon learning that they're getting erased from existence is basically, "Oh? ... Okay, whatever!" Like... HUH????

It's not enough for the story to try to damage control Goku's responsibility and go, "Oh by the way, this is TOTALLY NOT GOKU'S FAULT YOU GUYS, Zeno was already planning on doing this before. Goku's TOTALLY NOT THE BAD GUY, we swear!" Right before Goku out and openly declares to a whole crowd that he doesn't give a shit about the fact billions, possibly trillions of lives will be snuffed out, "Bring on the next strongest whoever, I will beat all of you up!"

It's like Toriyama is so desperately trying to turn Goku into the antithesis of the original anime adaptation that he went the other extreme and turned Goku into a full-blown sociopath, while the story tries very desperately to convince you he's a good person.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:39 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:34 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:37 pm Why do the ridiculous stakes bother you? Oh, and the tournament wasn't Goku's idea, either.
The ridiculous stakes don't bother me.
What bothers me is what they do with them.

It feels like getting erased from existence is not a ridiculous enough condition for the writers, as Goku tries to lie about what he's done like a child who just done fucked up and is embarrassed to tell his parents, and the reaction of multiple characters upon learning that they're getting erased from existence is basically, "Oh? ... Okay, whatever!" Like... HUH????

It's not enough for the story to try to damage control Goku's responsibility and go, "Oh by the way, this is TOTALLY NOT GOKU'S FAULT YOU GUYS, Zeno was already planning on doing this before. Goku's TOTALLY NOT THE BAD GUY, we swear!" Right before Goku out and openly declares to a whole crowd that he doesn't give a shit about the fact billions, possibly trillions of lives will be snuffed out, "Bring on the next strongest whoever, I will beat all of you up!"

It's like Toriyama is so desperately trying to turn Goku into the antithesis of the original anime adaptation that he went the other extreme and turned Goku into a full-blown sociopath, while the story tries very desperately to convince you he's a good person.
It's not damage control because it wasn't his idea. The tournament and the stakes were Zeno's idea.

I don't like that Super had Goku lie bc I've never taken Goku to do that sort of thing. He's not that clever and he's not the type who would feel like he has to hide anything for fear of reprisal.

Oh and this sort of thing isn't new to Goku. Competition has always mattered way more than the fate of the planet, universe, or multiverse.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:47 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:39 pm It's not damage control because it wasn't his idea. The tournament and the stakes were Zeno's idea.
Right before the end of the anime reveals the entire tournament and the stakes were a sham, he never intended to erase anyone and predicted the winner would be kind enough to restore everybody... Otherwise he would've just erased everybody, including the non-competitors...

But Goku gave them a fighting chance or something!!! Totally not Goku who kickstarted all of this, the writers said so!!!!
ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:39 pm Oh and this sort of thing isn't new to Goku. Competition has always mattered way more than the fate of the planet, universe, or multiverse.

You know, as much as I hate the Cell Saga, it has this one redeeming quality: Goku realizes he done fucked up and decides to fix up his mess and stay dead, because he doesn't want to put people in danger. The ToP has no such grace.

You can have a character with negative qualities, but that's the problem with Goku in Super, he ONLY has negative qualities.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:53 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:32 pm Why do they matter to you? Why do you care if the world is put in danger? It's not like the multiverse is actually going to end in the world of the story. We know Piccolo won't actually succeed in killing everyone. We know Vegeta won't succeed in murdering everyone. So why do you care about those sorts of stakes?
Counterpoint: if we know the villains won't ever succeed no matter what (which, again, we do... it is a kid's action shōnen)... why even watch Dragon Ball at all??? This take makes NO sense to me. Yeah, I get it... Super has its own things here and there like Beerus and Whis who weren't a part of the original story at all, and there are currently unresolved elements like Freeza still roaming the universe as of Super Hero that may or may not be resolved upon catching up to the original series... but we know that nothing permanently bad will happen to the main characters because of the original epilogue. However, you're acting like not knowing where a series is headed AT ALL because nothing about its future has been written yet is the same thing as not knowing what will happen only in a certain previously established timeframe of the series that we already know the bookends of... and that's just simply not the case. Those two things don't come across the same at all.

And again, as I said earlier parts of this thread... there ARE ways to make midquels feel like they matter, but the last eight years have shown us that that ability clearly does not lie in the talents of DB's current creative team. Let me ask you this... why should I care about Gokū being excited to fight Oob anymore when Super has made Gokū twenty gazillion times stronger than him with Super Saiyan Blue and Ultra Instinct and all that other bullshit? Super has done sooo much to lessen the impact of the thing that has served as the ENDING of the manga for almost thirty whole years!! How am I supposed to NOT be disappointed in that?

It's not JUST the lack of stakes due to being a midquel that bother me, it's the pisspoor way the writers have handled the story for Super's entire run. As I mentioned before, 99.9% of Super feels like a bunch of standalone stories that are at BEST VERY loosely connected only by the presence of the same characters. Gone are the times when the impact of the ending of one story arc would heavily inform the next as was the case with a LARGE portion of the original series. Obviously EVERY arc doesn't need to be like that (the Red Ribbon Army, 22nd TB, Saiyan, and Majin Boo arcs didn't happen as a result of their preceding arcs), but when EVERY arc is completely standalone in a serialized story that's gone on for damn near a decade now... it just makes all of just feel like a series of random things happening without much in the way of a connecting narrative thread. And at this current point, it feels more than ever like we're just counting down the last year after Super Hero when Super catches up with the manga/Z epilogue to see if something ACTUALLY interesting and new will happen, or if the series will just end there. And that's not exactly a good thing.
Last edited by Vegetto95 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:54 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:47 pm
Goku refused help fighting Ma Junior, despite the fate of the world being at stake, all because he needed to win a tournament fair amd square. Even giving Junior a free shot when Kami intervened.

He also gave Cell a senzu to showcase the full extent of Gohan's abilities.

Goku's sudden concern for the danger he attracts was a silly justification to take Goku out of the story and put Gohan in the driver's seat. At best Goku was just talking out his ass as an excuse to stay dead because he was tired of beating opponents in the living world and wanted to see what the next world had to offer.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:55 pm

I think the issue is that Dragon Ball has so framed itself around combat and gags that it's forgotten that you need more than two tools to put a house together. Toriyama's rule that Dragon Ball not be moving is ultimately shooting itself in the foot, because it was emotional moments that so captured the hearts of fans. The desire for the anime to try and mimic Toriyama's style also does it no favors, because those are many more voices all with much more experience as creators than Toriyama, and those experiences should be made use of.

I think that setting stories during the ten year gap can work, but those stories need to have a lasting effect on the characters. Toriyama's unwillingness to even consider that leads to a work that ultimately can never be truly satisfying.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:03 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:53 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:32 pm Why do they matter to you? Why do you care if the world is put in danger? It's not like the multiverse is actually going to end in the world of the story. We know Piccolo won't actually succeed in killing everyone. We know Vegeta won't succeed in murdering everyone. So why do you care about those sorts of stakes?
Counterpoint: if we know the villains won't ever succeed no matter what (which, again, we do... it is a kid's action shōnen)... why even watch Dragon Ball at all??? This take makes NO sense to me. Yeah, I get it... Super has its own things here and there like Beerus and Whis who weren't a part of the original story at all, and there are currently unresolved elements like Freeza still roaming the universe as of Super Hero that may or may not be resolved upon catching up to the original series... but we know that nothing permanently bad will happen to the main characters because of the original epilogue. However, you're acting like not knowing where a series is headed AT ALL because nothing about its future has been written yet is the same thing as not knowing what will happen only in a certain previously established timeframe of the series that we already know the bookends of... and that's just simply not the case. Those two things don't come across the same at all.

And again, as I said earlier parts of this thread... there ARE ways to make midquels feel like they matter, but the last eight years have shown us that that ability clearly does not lie in the talents of DB's current creative team. Let me ask you this... why should I care about Gokū being excited to fight Oob anymore when Super has made Gokū twenty gazillion times stronger than him with Super Saiyan Blue and Ultra Instinct and all that other bullshit? Super has done sooo much to lessen the impact of the thing that has served as the ENDING of the manga for almost thirty whole years!! How am I supposed to NOT be disappointed in that?

It's not JUST the lack of stakes due to being a midquel that bother me, it's the pisspoor way the writers have handled the story for Super's entire run. As I mentioned before, 99.9% of Super feels like a bunch of standalone stories that are at BEST VERY loosely connected only by the presence of the same characters. Gone are the times when the impact of the ending of one story arc would heavily inform the next as was the case with a LARGE portion of the original series. Obviously EVERY arc doesn't need to be like that (the Red Ribbon Army, 22nd TB, Saiyan, and Majin Boo arcs didn't happen as a result of their preceding arcs), but when EVERY arc is completely standalone in a serialized story that's gone on for damn near a decade now... it just makes all of just feel like a series of random things happening without much in the way of a connecting narrative thread. And at this current point, it feels more than ever like we're just counting down the last year after Super Hero when Super catches up with the manga/Z epilogue to see if something ACTUALLY interesting and new will happen, or if the series will just end there. And that's not exactly a good thing.
We do know they won't succeed. Why watch? For fun.

Counterpoint: A bunch of standalone stories is refreshing. And in Super, The Tournament of Power is the result of the God of Destruction tournament which happened as a result of Beerus waking up to fight Goku. Regardless. I like that arcs standalone. They can be quite long so getting closure is nice. In an age of super-serialization, it's nice to see some pushback and not everything be so super plot heavy.

Regarding emotional moments in Super. They're there. Stuff like Gohan and Pan, or Goku being a grandfather to Pan especially after dealing with the fallout from SSB Kaio-ken, or Vegeta's burgeoning relationship with Cabba. Seeing him growing into the role of mentor was a great change of pace.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:54 pm Goku's sudden concern for the danger he attracts was a silly justification to take Goku out of the story and put Gohan in the driver's seat. At best Goku was just talking out his ass as an excuse to stay dead because he was tired of beating opponents in the living world and wanted to see what the next world had to offer.
I could also argue Goku's sudden concern for not stopping Gero because "he hasn't technically done anything yet, so killing him would be immoral" was a silly justification for Toriyama to not stop the plot dead in its tracks 2 seconds later, same goes for Vegeta's sudden lack of concern and pragmatism for his own life, or Yamcha's sudden cheating habits, or Tenshinhan and Yamcha's sudden urge to test their abilities even if it meant their deaths.

Same thing could be said about a lot of things in Dragon Ball, like why don't they just wish for Shen Long to blow up the Saiyan spaceships and let Vegeta and Nappa suffocate to death in space? I do understand, for a story to work, there must be conflict. But how you frame said conflict is also very, very important.

I could find myself enjoying the Cell Saga if, instead of Toriyama having the heroes all do nothing, Trunks' intervention caused some sort of butterfly effect, and by the time they tried to track down Gero, he had already been long gone into hiding as a result. Likewise, I could find myself enjoying the ToP if every single character's reaction to the ridiculous stakes in it weren't, "Oh... I'm getting erased from existence? Eh, whatever." Or Goku didn't act like a complete sociopath.

When the story itself doesn't care much about its conflict, I don't see why I should either.
Yes, I know, most of the plot is an excuse for a fight scene to happen.
But then again, I don't watch Dragon Ball just for the fight scenes. So maybe, I'm an idiot.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:10 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:04 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:54 pm Goku's sudden concern for the danger he attracts was a silly justification to take Goku out of the story and put Gohan in the driver's seat. At best Goku was just talking out his ass as an excuse to stay dead because he was tired of beating opponents in the living world and wanted to see what the next world had to offer.
I could also argue Goku's sudden concern for not stopping Gero because "he hasn't technically done anything yet, so killing him would be immoral" was a silly justification for Toriyama to not stop the plot dead in its tracks 2 seconds later, same goes for Vegeta's sudden lack of concern and pragmatism for his own life, or Yamcha's sudden cheating habits, or Tenshinhan and Yamcha's sudden urge to test their abilities even if it meant their deaths.

Same thing could be said about a lot of things in Dragon Ball, like why don't they just wish for Shen Long to blow up the Saiyan spaceships and let Vegeta and Nappa suffocate to death in space? I do understand, for a story to work, there must be conflict. But how you frame said conflict is also very, very important.

I could find myself enjoying the Cell Saga if, instead of Toriyama having the heroes all do nothing, Trunks' intervention caused some sort of butterfly effect, and by the time they tried to track down Gero, he had already been long gone into hiding as a result. Likewise, I could find myself enjoying the ToP if every single character's reaction to the ridiculous stakes in it weren't, "Oh... I'm getting erased from existence? Eh, whatever." Or Goku didn't act like a complete sociopath.

When the story itself doesn't care much about its conflict, I don't see why I should either.
That wasn't sudden. Goku has done those sorts of things prior. It wasn't out of character for him to let a warrior go in order to get a fight down the line.
But then again, I don't watch Dragon Ball just for the fight scenes. So maybe, I'm an idiot.
You do know the story and plot about fighters, don't you? I don't know why anyone would try to separate the story from the action. The characters are martial artists. That's what drives them.

I get your point about the spaceships but then I'm reminded of a quote from Hitchcock, "people in movies don't call the cops because that would be dull."

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:13 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:10 pm The characters aren't acting out of character. them letting Gero go is in character.
No. Even excluding Goku and Vegeta, it's not.
Tenshinhan, Chaozu and Yamcha all tried to get Piccolo murdered and the arc stopped dead in its tracks with the Dragon Balls.
The entire, "I want to test my abilities, even though I'm completely outmatched and will certainly die" bit came out of nowhere.
ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:10 pm You do know the story and plot about fighters, don't you? I don't know why anyone would try to separate the story from the action. The characters are martial artists. That's what drives them.
You can have good writing AND good action, those are not mutually exclusive.
Last edited by AliTheZombie13 on Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:17 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:13 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:10 pm The characters aren't acting out of character. them letting Gero go is in character.
No. Even excluding Goku and Vegeta, it's not.
Tenshinhan, Chaozu and Yamcha all tried to get Piccolo murdered and the arc stopped dead in its tracks with the Dragon Balls.
The entire, "I want to test my abilities, even though I'm completely outmatched and will certainly die" bit came out of nowhere.
Have you forgetten that Goku let Piccolo and Vegeta go so he could fight them later?

I'm also unsure what you are referring to when you say they tried to get Piccolo murdered.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:19 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:04 pm
Goku and the others wanting to fight the Androids despite Trunks warning is no different than Goku giving Piccolo a free shot, or Goku asking Krillin to spare Vegeta, or letting Frieza power up to 100 percent. Or Yamcha seeing his fight with Baba's Mummy to the end even when he was losing and standing on a bridge over toxic death.They want to test their abilities.

Goku claiming Gero hadn't done anything wrong yet was absolutely a silly justification. Gero very obviously had done wrong in the past, he created weapons of mass destruction for the Red Ribbon Army. We know the real reason Goku came up with that stupid excuse.

Vegeta's pragmatism has always only gone so far. He thought one more "coming back from near death" boost was going to make the difference between being weaker than Frieza's first form and being able to take on his final form and then promptly got his ass stomped. He also didn't believe Goku would be a threat until he got a read on his Power Level. It's absolutely in character for Vegeta to think he could beat these Androids with extra training or for him to think Cell reaching perfection wasn't going to make a difference in their fight. Vegeta's overconfidence in his abilities has always been a consistent flaw.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:25 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:17 pm I'm also unsure what you are referring to when you say they tried to get Piccolo murdered.
At no point during the Piccolo Daimao arc, a single one of these characters thought, "You know what? Who cares about this Piccolo guy? Who cares about the fate of the world? I'mma fight him hand-to-hand anyway and see what happens. If I die, so be it u_u"

They made multiple plans to stop Piccolo.
The biggest one was: Using the Dragon Balls to kill him, and Chaozu nearly succeeded.
When that failed, Tenshinhan's plan shifted to learning the Mafuba to seal him away.
Meanwhile, Yamcha sensibly remained in hiding the entire time because of his broken leg.
And Goku went to Hell and back to make sure Piccolo was dead.

Every single character during the Cell arc making excuses to let Gero go was out-of-character as hell.
You can make fan justifications for Goku and Vegeta, but nobody else there should've reacted the way they did.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:33 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:03 pm We do know they won't succeed. Why watch? For fun.

Counterpoint: A bunch of standalone stories is refreshing. And in Super, The Tournament of Power is the result of the God of Destruction tournament which happened as a result of Beerus waking up to fight Goku. Regardless. I like that arcs standalone. They can be quite long so getting closure is nice. In an age of super-serialization, it's nice to see some pushback and not everything be so super plot heavy.
My problem is that the ENTIRETY of Super is just a bunch of standalone stuff. I liked that the original series had a good balance between that and strong interconnecting threads. There are some LOOSE connections in Super, sure, such as Zenō being like "Hey, remember when I offhandedly mentioned once that I wanna do another multiversal tournament thingy, but on a bigger scale? Well, it's been fifty whole episodes, so I think it's about time to bring that back up" or the Heeters finding out about the Saiyans on Earth due to finding 73's mangled corpse (which then proceeds to impact NOTHING in the rest of the arc)... but that's VERY different that "the villain of this arc is the son of the villain of the last arc who's here to get revenge" or "We gotta go to another planet in this arc because half our friends died in the last arc".

Again, that's MY problem with the series, not yours. It's totally fine that you don't see it that way. People are different, and homogeneity is fucking boring. Just trying to get you to understand why I'M saying the things that I am. And on that note, allow me one final example of why I feel placing Super during the timeskip hurts the emotional impact of the stakes as they pertain to the characters: Piccolo's death in Super vs. his death in GT (I know I keep comparing the two, but again... it's to demonstrate the differences in narrative impact in a series with carte blanche to do whatever, GT, and a series that is instead constrained by the bookends it decided to put itself in, Super). After which, I'll move on because we clearly have different takes on this, which, again, is totally fine. People be people, yo lol

Piccolo gets killed by Freeza (in THE most insultingly hamfisted, shallow, hollow attempt at nostalgia wanking of his first death at the hands of Nappa POSSIBLE) in the Revival of 'F' arc in the Super anime... oh no. I care soooo much. It's tooooooootally not like the series already told me 20 years earlier that he'd be totally fine and alive five years after. Contrast when he sacrifices himself to get rid of the Black Star Dragon Balls... at that point, we don't know how that's gonna play out! Is he gonna just stay dead permanently? Are the others gonna figure out a way to bring him back while circumventing the restoration of the BSDBs? Well... gotta keep watching to find out!

That's what makes his death in GT have a strong emotional impact... for all intents and purposes at the time, it seemed PERMANENT (and come to find out... it WAS). JUST like his first death at the hands of Nappa... at that point, his life was still tied to the Dragon Balls, and so not only was his death seemingly permanent, but Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Jiaozi's as well by proxy! It was only later we learned that there was a slight chance of MAYBE bringing him back by going to Namek, with all the trials and tribulations facing the cast there. That's powerful stuff. On the other hand, his death at the hands of Freeza in Super is a fucking JOKE. Not only do we already know then and there that he'll be fine... but the SECOND they defeat Freeza like an hour later, they get the Dragon Balls and revive him again, like it never fucking happened.

His deaths in Z and GT were POWERFUL and emotionally impactful, and part of that is because we didn't know how things would play out at the time. His death in Super was DECIDEDLY not, and that is almost ENTIRELY due to the decision to place Super during the timeskip. THAT is what I mean when I say that doing so makes it WAY harder to care about the stakes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:35 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:25 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:17 pm I'm also unsure what you are referring to when you say they tried to get Piccolo murdered.
At no point during the Piccolo Daimao arc, a single one of these characters thought, "You know what? Who cares about this Piccolo guy? Who cares about the fate of the world? I'mma fight him hand-to-hand anyway and see what happens. If I die, so be it u_u"

They made multiple plans to stop Piccolo.
The biggest one was: Using the Dragon Balls to kill him, and Chaozu nearly succeeded.
When that failed, Tenshinhan's plan shifted to learning the Mafuba to seal him away.
Meanwhile, Yamcha sensibly remained in hiding the entire time because of his broken leg.
And Goku went to Hell and back to make sure Piccolo was dead.

Every single character during the Cell arc making excuses to let Gero go was out-of-character as hell.
You can make fan justifications for Goku and Vegeta, but nobody else there should've reacted the way they did.
No, I didn't make fan justifications. I and others use examples from the show where the same thing happened. In this example, a significant difference is Piccolo Daimao was a clear and present danger.

In any event, I don't know if the age of the actors is the reason for Super not continuing. One could argue that's just as much of a reason for them to hurry it up.
remember when I offhandedly mentioned once that I wanna do another multiversal tournament thingy, but on a bigger scale? Well, it's been fifty whole episodes,
offhanded must mean something different to you.
Piccolo's death in Super vs. his death in GT (I know I keep comparing the two, but again... it's to demonstrate the differences in narrative impact in a series with carte blanche to do whatever, GT, and a series that is instead constrained by the bookends it decided to put itself in, Super).
Neither works well and for similar (though not the same exact) reasons. It doesn't work in GT because he comes into the narrative just to die. It feels just as hamfisted, though at least he stays dead in GT. In Z it works phenomenally well because not only is it the culmination of his character arc, his relationship with Gohan was cemented. The audience cares about their friendship and so we understand and feel why he would do what he did and are gutted when Gohan sees his mentor and friend die. In GT, while the friendship is in tact, it takes it for granted and brings him back after having him barely in the series. It's emotionally manipulative instead of sad and cathartic. We care if the characters die because we like them. Even if we know they are coming back, it still has the ability to break our heart if it's done well. In Super, it doesn't work because again, it's been done before and Piccolo and Gohan are- so on the periphery up to this point. Then there is the matter of the arc as a whole killing him off as reference to a moment we've already seen years prior. It serves no greater purpose in the story for Gohan or Piccolo. It has nothing to do with the timeskip and everything to do with the hard work not being done. Super and GT took a shortcut.

I'm bowing out now. I don't think this is actually on topic and I've said what I needed to, though I could expound in a separate thread.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:19 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:35 pm offhanded must mean something different to you.
Offhanded means it's brought up once in one scene and then immediately gets forgotten about for fifty entire episodes, upon which it then becomes the main story... where a bunch of completely forgettable nobodies have a bunch of repetitive, boring, poorly-animated, poorly-written, poorly-paced fights for over 30 episodes straight in what's supposed to be 48 minutes in-universe. UGH.
Neither works well and for similar (though not the same exact) reasons. It doesn't work in GT because he comes into the narrative just to die. It feels just as hamfisted, though at least he stays dead in GT. In Z it works phenomenally well because not only is it the culmination of his character arc, his relationship with Gohan was cemented. The audience cares about their friendship and so we understand and feel why he would do what he did and are gutted when Gohan sees his mentor and friend die. In GT, while the friendship is in tact, it takes it for granted and brings him back after having him barely in the series. It's emotionally manipulative instead of sad and cathartic. We care if the characters die because we like them. Even if we know they are coming back, it still has the ability to break our heart if it's done well. In Super, it doesn't work because again, it's been done before and Piccolo and Gohan are- so on the periphery up to this point. Then there is the matter of the arc as a whole killing him off as reference to a moment we've already seen years prior. It serves no greater purpose in the story for Gohan or Piccolo. It has nothing to do with the timeskip and everything to do with the hard work not being done. Super and GT took a shortcut.
Could Piccolo's death in GT have been done better? Of course. As I admitted before, GT absolutely has plenty of problems, but overall it's soooooo much better than Dragon Ball Shitter. But it at least TRIED. There was a reason for his decision. Not the greatest reason EVER, but it DID make a certain amount of sense. People with evil intentions had come after the Dragon Balls time and time and time again, it's ABSOLUTELY NOT out of the realm of possibility that someone could find the Black Star Balls and put the Earth in danger again (and the fact that no one should be able to get to God's Temple without the bell had long ceased to matter because Toriyama already broke that rule a dozen times over before GT lol).

Hell, Kuririn's barely around in GT either and his death still feels emotionally impactful as well. No. 18's reaction, the fact that No. 17, her brother, has been brainwashed into doing it, and the appearance of the Evil Dragons soon after making the Dragon Balls inert and casting Kuririn's resurrection into doubt contribute to that. The fact that Kuririn and Piccolo aren't around as much in GT by itself doesn't hurt the emotional impact as much as you claim it does, because they're STILL MAJOR characters who had been around for HUNDREDS of episode at that point, and again... there's nothing at that point that spoils their further fates as is the case with Super. That may not make a difference to you, but it does to me and many others.

AND... Piccolo's death in GT impacts later events in the story. Only a few times and briefly, but it does, which is more than his Super death can say. First, when he's able to open up a hole out of Hell for Gokū by working with Dende (with a callback to a hilarious bit earlier from the fight with Lood). Then, the scene when Gokū travels to Hell at the very end of the series to say goodbye to Piccolo and shake his hand. I may be a little biased since I LOOOOOVE GT's final episode... but it's a GREAT, albeit a little short, scene that's an emotional cap to their decades of friendship and respect for one another.

Of course it's nowhere near as impactful as his first death in Z, I don't disagree one bit. But it has SOME emotional resonance. And yeah... his death in Super didn't put in any work to be emotionally impactful. BUT, even if it did, it wouldn't have changed anything. As I said in a previous post, I didn't care AT ALL about Agumon and Gabumon dying in Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution: Kizuna, despite the film putting in a LOT of work to make it super emotional... because I've known since 2001 that their deaths don't stick whatsoever. How much work the scene puts in is a factor, but its context in the series being a midquel absolutely is as well. It may be a factor that doesn't matter in the least to YOU, but that's NOT a universal view.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:36 pm

Honestly, I kind of wish the Tournament of Power had been a full 48 episodes. They were already so close! They should've just gone along with it.

(Ideally I think the entire recruitment and tournament should've only been 26 episodes, but alas).
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:54 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:36 pm Honestly, I kind of wish the Tournament of Power had been a full 48 episodes. They were already so close! They should've just gone along with it.

(Ideally I think the entire recruitment and tournament should've only been 26 episodes, but alas).
I don't. Despite its extremely large cast and vast number of episodes, it was clear that they were not interested in the least bit in focusing on anybody but Universe 11 and Universe 6, and even those were poorly utilized.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:57 pm

Dragon Ball Super had an anime and that was in 2015. It is almost going to be 10 years, so maybe everybody should start to let go of it.

Regardless of that the manga continues because at the end sueisha and toei animation are two different companies for two different media and they decide how to milk their franchise as they best think it suits them.

Dragon Ball Daima is the new face of Dragon Ball when it comes to anime. It is Toei Animation's move and any hardcore fan of the franchise is already supporting it. Notice please how I said hardcore fan of the franchise and not only DBS or DBZ or DBGT ....etc...

The point of voice actors being of an advanced age is very interesting. I wonder if Japan has any legislation about senior citizen labor.