Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Basaku » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:31 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:17 pm Yeah, I don't get this assertion that waiting for Super's anime return is so absurd. As if the last two movies and the still ongoing manga don't exist. Oh, yeah. Super is totally dead and buried, guys. lol

Even Daima doesn't necessarily point to the end of animated Super content. For all we know, the very next project after could be something Super related. (Especially if the series flops...)
Regardless under what name it comes back as (which really may go either way depending on what will Toei's marketing division decide), I do have to say that at the very least a big reason why they may have thought they don't need to rush with the new anime AND were proven correct was the sales volume post 2018, after both Super and Borly already released/concluded:
Basaku wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:31 pm Fiscal charts I haven't updated in a looong time :P But people used to like them so here it is, as usual Fiscal Years end in March, not December:

As evidenced they still do enjoy high profits and continue to monetize licenses for both Super TV and the movies even after the show concluded. Now, obviously this won't last forever, nothing does and eventually profits will dry up as the distributors will be less and less interested in older and older content as time passes. You can see a decline in profits already in 2021 and 2022 before Super Hero release.

But for many years the value and success of Super/movies was enough and didn't even need a new TV show getting produced (which costs a lot in itself). The best inclination when Super2/XYZ/Whatevername may return will be that one year where the profits decline far more significantly. Toei gotta tread the balance carefully not to wait too long either. Ideally, they would have the main new anime ready just as the rippling effect from Super+Movies dies down and before too much time passes and too many fans move on permanently. The audience can wait, just like they do for major game/movie sequels or new TV shows, but not forever either, otherwise you start rebuilding from scratch too much (like they had to pre BOG/Super)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:29 pm

The whole question is: it has been confirmed that Daima it is in fact a core animated series or just an spin-off to promote the 40th anniversary of the original manga?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:23 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:29 pm The whole question is: it has been confirmed that Daima it is in fact a core animated series or just an spin-off to promote the 40th anniversary of the original manga?
Nothing official yet. But the leaks that DID turn out to be true talked a short one-off web-series with a TV return if the 'main' show after it.

But we have no clue if that is still the case or plans have changed.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:04 pm

Battle Hour is this week. For Daima my wishes are a cool new trailer fully revealing new characters, some character design sheets, composer reveal and episode count.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:07 pm

I imagine that we won't get a trailer until episodes are recorded, which I am not sure they've done yet.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:37 pm

Was the footage that we saw in October just made for the teaser trailer?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:37 pm Was the footage that we saw in October just made for the teaser trailer?
I doubt it. But if I had to guess they haven't recorded any episodes yet as recording is typically done last. Even Pokemon recorded close to broadcasting, despite being ahead of schedule.

Of course, I could judt be wrong. I just feel like we'd have gotten dialogue in the trailer that was released.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:37 pm Was the footage that we saw in October just made for the teaser trailer?
From what we know (via reliable community folks) the pilot was done ages ago and quite a lot of eps finished already after that, hence not all footage in the trailer is exclusively just from ep1/the pilot (although the majority is).

At the time of the announcement, the general consensus was that they were already exceeding the ~12-16 initial plan but it wasn't settled yet how much more would be produced in the end. Hopefully more details this week

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:56 am

Still nothing about the music in the trailer being original or not? hm I think I can assume it's from the series...idk I hope we already get to know who is the composer when trailer 2 or whathever comes out
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:59 am

I don't think it would be impossible for Saitou Naoki to return, but I'm personally holding out for Takanashi Yasuharu.
She/Her
bisexual milf

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:45 am

As mentioned before, lots of other projects to do. He literally just finished Godzilla -1.0 last year.
(Doesn't look like either one of them will be part of it.)

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:00 am

Naoki Sato's return is definitely possible, composers can work in more than two or three scores per year, not at all the same time obviously, so we can expect to see him again, unless he's already working in another score.
My bet is Norihito Sumitomo's return, he said recently that he has been the composer hired for the franchise since 2014, this suggests to my understanding that he hasn't left the franchise yet.

Also, why are they going to screen a DBZ episode at Battle Hour? And why 286 specifically? It's the episode Kid Boo is defeated, is this meant to be a hint at Daima taking place after Boo and before Beerus?
Also, Akio Iyoku will be there again, I wonder if he's going to talk about Capsule Corporation Tokyo?

Well let's wait, hope they reveal the streaming service this is going to be released as well, almost forgot.
GhostEmperorX wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:45 am As mentioned before, lots of other projects to do. He literally just finished Godzilla -1.0 last year.
(Doesn't look like either one of them will be part of it.)
Can you tell me which projects these are?
Edit: nevermind, I looked on a wiki and he's indeed hired for several projects, around 6 or 7, it's really very unlikely he got some time left for Daima.

I checked Sumitomo's official website though, if I'm correct then it appears he has been involved in 4 projects in 2023...well let's wait, his most recent work was before Daima's reveal so might there still be a chance : )
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:59 am I don't think it would be impossible for Saitou Naoki to return, but I'm personally holding out for Takanashi Yasuharu.
Ah, I see you're a person of culture. 8)

Still though, I'm not holding too much hope for Takanashi, because he's apparently booked for the rest of this year? I think he's working on a new Kinnikuman anime adaptation for one thing...

BTW, Takanashi worked on Kai, didn't he? So at least he's dipped his toes in DB somewhat.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:32 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:24 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:59 am I don't think it would be impossible for Saitou Naoki to return, but I'm personally holding out for Takanashi Yasuharu.
Ah, I see you're a person of culture. 8)

Still though, I'm not holding too much hope for Takanashi, because he's apparently booked for the rest of this year? I think he's working on a new Kinnikuman anime adaptation for one thing...

BTW, Takanashi worked on Kai, didn't he? So at least he's dipped his toes in DB somewhat.
It's possible to work on multiple series at once. That being said, yeah, Takanashi composed (arranged?) Let It Burn, the insert song used during Gokuu versus Majin Buu (Pure). It's easily one of my favorite Dragon Ball pieces, and I find it to be a terrible shame that it was stuck in fucking Dragon Ball Kai of all things. Eww.
She/Her
bisexual milf

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:00 pm

If it sounds like his style, he arranged it :p

Anyways, between new Sailor Moon media, Kinnikuman, and the 2 or so other projects he has slated for this season alone (and probably more later down the line, one of those even has two other people working on it), it's not realistically likely to happen.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:43 pm

Really want Naoki Sato to return because I loved his work on Super Hero and I want see how well he would do for Dragon Ball, outside of the Super Hero genre. Unfortunately he's too busy right now.

I would still like someone else than Sumitomo to be the composer though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:01 pm

If he returns then I hope he makes a improvement, his work was the weakest for me compared to Kikuchi, Sumitomo and even Tokunaga, second only to Yamamoto (Kai 1.0)

I couldn't find when Sumitomo was confirmed as the composer for the previous 3 films (only Super TV, a month before the first episode), Sato was confirmed as the composer for Super Hero way back in December 2021, 5 months after the initial teaser trailer.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:29 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:01 pm his work was the weakest for me compared to Kikuchi, Sumitomo and even Tokunaga
He has a discography outside DB. He just fell off lately is all.
Yes, even composers with a lot of resume, no matter how outstanding they may be (like Joe Hisaishi, see his 2nd most recent project) have their off-periods & off-the-mark projects.
This intra-franchise metric really isn't a good one to judge him by (and that's without even mentioning that it's literally just one movie in comparison either way).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:36 am

Composers will also often be given directions for what the sound director wants of them, too. The Dragon Ball films since 2013 keep trying to go for a Hollywood-esque sound, so that's what Satou likely gave for Super Hero. It's definitely not his best work. His work on PreCure is a thousand times more fun and emotional.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:16 am

Without a doubt he must have much better scores, but I'm only considering DB so that's all I can say, since this was just one movie, I particularly think that the cinematic introductions of Kikuchi, Sumitomo and Tokunaga in Shenlong No Densetsu, Kami to Kami and Saikyou e no Michi were better.
But maybe I'm being harsh too, I like the score after all, I believe I thought it was disappointing compared to the previous ones because it was too inconsistent, I consider the "Super Hero" theme problematic because it is popular for the same three specific tracks, but i think Sato worked this leitmotif in a much better and more organic way in tracks like "Gohan vs Gamma" (first part), "Advice", "Fight to Death" and "Towards Tomorrow", which really sound like music from a movie imo.
I thought it was a bad decision to use the same 2 tracks as references 4 times in the film, I know that many films use the same basis track for multiple different recordings, but in this case, I think the two tracks with the Gamma theme 2 "The Gamma Android" and "Gamma 2's Resolve" did it much better.
"Climax" was a huge disappointment for me, It just doesn't fit the scene at all, maybe I would've understood if the scene was Gohan using the Genkidama, but Kikuchi way back in the 90's made much better calm tracks for the Genkidama.
honestly I think the "problematic" parts of the score were because of some director interference or something like that and not Sato. I have the feeling the score didn't turn out exactly the way he planned, the best tracks for me are the ones that followed a more orchestral route, I think the rest of the score should have done the same, but that's all just me.

Also if you know when Sumitomo was confirmed as the composer for the previous 3 films please tell me, thanks.