Does the dvd and blue ray have the same sound track?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HaloCake117

Does the dvd and blue ray have the same sound track?

Post by HaloCake117 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:11 am

Asking cuz I like the Kenji Yamamoto score (until it got replaced) and I'm not sure if they have the same music or not

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does the dvd and blue ray have the same sound track?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:29 pm

They do but re-issues for both use the Kikuchi score and the Yamamoto score isn't on anything past episode 52

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:29 pm They do but re-issues for both use the Kikuchi score and the Yamamoto score isn't on anything past episode 52
And even then, the original 2010-11 releases of the DVDs and Blu-rays that have the Yamamoto score can be somewhat hard to find and expensive due to being loooong out of print (at least assuming we're talking about the North American FUNimation releases, dunno about other regions).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:23 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:16 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:29 pm They do but re-issues for both use the Kikuchi score and the Yamamoto score isn't on anything past episode 52
And even then, the original 2010-11 releases of the DVDs and Blu-rays that have the Yamamoto score can be somewhat hard to find and expensive due to being loooong out of print (at least assuming we're talking about the North American FUNimation releases, dunno about other regions).
The Japanese release didn't get past episode 72, if any of the other regions got further than territories getting Funimation's release, it wouldn't by much.

Unfortunately there is no way to legally own episode 73-95 with the Yamamoto score

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:25 pm

Vegetto95 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:16 pm
The same is true for the Australian "Parts", they were reprinted with the Kikuchi score so you'd need to track down earlier copies to get episodes 1-39 with the Yamamoto score (in terms of English-speaking territories episodes 40-52 with the Yamamoto score were exclusive to the US releases, although not all copies of Part 4 have Yamamoto's score).

The UK releases have Yamamoto for episodes 1-39 on the Blu-Rays, for the DVDs, based on reviews (I only have the Blu-Rays) its 1-13 and 27-39.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: