"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:14 pm

Seems the dub trailer is using placeholder / old lines considering Goku said "Kayoken" like the old way. Which is odd.

Also Early/Mid/Late Goku is back. And now Super Goku as the 4th Goku.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:26 pm

My thoughts are the same as before: I'm tired of Z, and Super can go burn in the flaming outhouse it came from. The fact that they made a trailer dedicated to Goku and Vegeta squaring off in their various forms, but DIDN'T include Super Saiyan 4 in that sequence, is both troubling and annoying.

Show me some actually interesting characters and forms, whether new or returning, from pre-Raditz Dragon Ball, GT, the movies, Heroes, Xenoverse, and so forth. Also Arale. If the roster ends up overly lopsided with just Z and Super reps, then I likely won't even bother with the game.

Also the return of hearing Schemmel pronounce "Kaio-Ken" wrong, apparently from just reusing old voice clips, is kind of depressingly hilarious. But it's not like I'd be playing the game with the English voices anyway.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:50 pm

Honestly yeah. I hope we get more from original DB and GT than just Kid Goku / SSJ4s + Omega Shenron.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:08 pm

Only showing Goku and Vegeta is boring.

Show me my boys Goku Black and Zamasu already.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:11 pm

Rinsankajugin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:43 am As I said, the reason I'd see villains being DLC is because I'm not entirely sure when Sparking Zero will release in relation to Daima. Even if both game and show release in October like people speculate, it'd still be too early to figure out a moveset for the main villains.
I mean if they know stuff from behind the scenes they could come up with a moveset.

Though if they are feeling lazy they could just give the villains generic movesets, but that'd suck... And honestly, if they add Daima Goku/Vegeta/Shin I hope they avoid this, because each "era" of characters they get movesets from that era, so having Goku/Vegeta/Shin/Villains as lazy clones instead of getting actual Daima stuff would suck.
As for how transformations will work, I'm sure it'll just be like how it was done in the old Tenkaichi and Raging Blast games. Separate characters you can select on the character select menu, that you can also transform into mid-battle depending on how much blast stocks you have. They usually have a different moveset from each other, whether it be just new supers or even some new combo strings. If I remember correctly, SS2 Goku had some pretty generic supers, but all of his combos were based on the fight with Majin Vegeta, which makes sense since that's the only major fight he had.
Yeah well, trailers showed that transformations are their own characters lol.

We'll probably have goofy shit like characters powering down when transforming, again...
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:14 pm Also Early/Mid/Late Goku is back. And now Super Goku as the 4th Goku.
Honestly before this comment I didn't even notice mid Goku, I thought there was only saiyan saga, and considered the other to be "rest of Z"...

Seriously, having 3 sets of Z Goku, Super Goku, and we'll probably get GT Goku, maybe we'll get pre-Z kid Goku, on top of the rumors of Daima Goku...

One of these days a game besides Legends will, unironically, add Heart Virus Goku, and just Legends having it was goofy enough.
Kaboom wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:26 pmShow me some actually interesting characters and forms, whether new or returning, from pre-Raditz Dragon Ball, GT, the movies, Heroes, Xenoverse, and so forth. Also Arale. If the roster ends up overly lopsided with just Z and Super reps, then I likely won't even bother with the game.
Honestly yeah. BT in general was this time capsule before Super was a thing, by BT3 it basically became a celebration for the entire franchise, so having a new BT be too focused on just Z and Super would suck.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:50 pm Honestly yeah. I hope we get more from original DB and GT than just Kid Goku / SSJ4s + Omega Shenron.
At the very least Baby has to be there as far as GT stuff goes lol.

But yeah honestly it could be nice if they add the rest of the shadow dragons, maybe add Myuu for meme reasons, like Babidi was in BT3.

Although a criminally neglected character as far as GT representation goes is Rildo, like what the hell? There's so much you can do with him and he never makes the cut...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:20 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:11 pmAlthough a criminally neglected character as far as GT representation goes is Rildo, like what the hell? There's so much you can do with him and he never makes the cut...
I KNOW, RIGHT?!

If they're using a nuclear-powered laser jackhammer to scrape the absolute bottom of the fecal-stained DBS barrel for entrants like friggin' Bergamo, then they'd better damn well also be increasing GT's representation compared to BT3. That should at least mean adding GT Trunks, Redgic, Rild, more of the Shadow Dragons, and a full-fledged GT Vegeta with multiple transformations instead of just his SS4 self as an isolated character.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:41 pm

So far, they seem to focus the first revelations on Z and Super, so I'm glad these devs do get their priorities straight!
Fighterz did good with priorities too back then!

It might mean nothing, but the bottom right quarter seem to be approximately used for Super (though DBS Goku goes a bit to the bottom left).
The rest is filled here and there with characters and forms from the classic story, I can hardly picture where the numerous GT characters would be if there's any logic in the placement. So GT could possibly be kept for optional DLC just like for Fighterz, I guess (along with all characters from movies, also just like Fighterz?)

So far, the revealed slots seem to indicate:
Since the spots don't look randomly placed and seem related to the slots next to them, some people might play a bit of guessing game with the currently invisible characters/forms.

While the portraits are just screencaps from previously shown material and not the actual ones, I guess the purpose is to fill the missing slots with always more screencaps of new characters/forms as more trailers are shown. It's a cool concept for a game in which the numerous roster is of utmost importance to people and gets the hype up. It's going to be entertaining for every new trailer!
Last edited by Cold Skin on Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:54 pm

>Not including Kale, Caulifla, Kefla, Jiren, Zamasu, and Black in the trailer.

Damn, and here I thought you couldn't get any lamer than reusing dub audio.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:56 pm

Eh, not really happy with the idea that we’re potentially getting FIVE different Vegeta’s or maybe even 6 if you wanna count Baby, each switch their own and sorta redundant transformations.

Saiyan arc- Base, Oozaru

Android arc - Base, SS1, Grade 2

Boo arc - Base, SS1,SS2, Majin ( which shockingly seems like a manual transformation this time, which is a first for the Sparking series.)

Super - Base, SS1, God, Blue, Bluvilution (?) most likely

GT- SS4 ( potentially base and SS1)

GT - Baby possessed SS1, Mutation 1, Mutation 2, Oozaru.

I’m still crossing my fingers that at least Android arc and Boo arc Vegeta are one and the same though what would be ideal is all Vegeta’s minus Baby’s infection being all one character.

Now I know one might say “well hey, wouldn’t that be too many transformations for one character” and to that I say HELL NO. This isn’t a traditional fighting game that requires a certain level of balance in order for things to be fair, this is supposedly a love letter to not only the series but the sub series of games that prides themselves on fan service above all else. Plus we are on what, generation 8 of gaming consoles? The PS5 is easily 10x more powerful than the PS3 so there should be Zero issues, (pun intended) when it comes to offering different transformation branches ala Raging Blast for the characters that it applies to.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:01 pm

Kaboom wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:20 pm
Lukmendes wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:11 pmAlthough a criminally neglected character as far as GT representation goes is Rildo, like what the hell? There's so much you can do with him and he never makes the cut...
I KNOW, RIGHT?!

If they're using a nuclear-powered laser jackhammer to scrape the absolute bottom of the DBS barrel for entrants like friggin' Bergamo, then they'd better damn well also be increasing GT's representation compared to BT3.
To be fair to BT, them scraping the bottom of the barrel is part of the charm lol.

Like in BT3 we got Cold, Devilman, and fucking Babidi who's even more baffling than the other two...
That should at least mean adding GT Trunks, Redgic, Rild, more of the Shadow Dragons,
Man I forgot about Redgic lol.

GT Trunks could be, okay, but since the game will likely have Sword Trunks, it already has post RoSaT Trunks, and will have Super Trunks, I find GT Trunks to be unlikely since he's barely there even in the first story arc.
and a full-fledged GT Vegeta with multiple transformations instead of just his SS4 self as an isolated character.
Would honestly hope it's just SS1, but they'll probably add base if they add SS1...

Honestly as much as it's a BT tradition of a lot of Goku's and Vegetas, I do wish there was some trimming down. We have 13 Vegetas and 11 Gokus right now, and with stuff like the game probably adding GT Gokus and pre-Z Gokus, we can have more than 10% of the cast being Goku alone... And if they go all out with Vegeta then another 10% can be just him too lol.
Cold Skin wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:41 pm So far, they seem to focus the first revelations on Z and Super, so I'm glad these devs do get their priorities straight!
Fighterz did good with priorities too back then!

It might mean nothing, but the bottom right quarter seem to be approximately used for Super (though DBS Goku goes a bit to the bottom left).
The rest is filled here and there with characters and forms from the classic story, I can hardly picture where the numerous GT characters would be if there's any logic in the placement. So GT could possibly be kept for optional DLC just like for Fighterz, I guess (along with all characters from movies, also just like Fighterz?)
There's some room on the left and right, but if that's where GT characters go then they're, limited...
So far, the revealed slots seem to indicate:
Since the spots don't look randomly placed and seem related to the slots next to them, some people might play a bit of guessing game with the currently invisible characters/forms.
I'd say at least Tien is randomly placed, he's near saiyan saga Yamcha but he's dressed in his DBS costume.

Unless that Tien is just Z Tien who has Super's costume.
While the portraits are just screencaps from previously shown material and not the actual ones, I guess the purpose is to fill the missing slots with always more screencaps of new characters/forms as more trailers are shown. It's a cool concept for a game in which the numerous roster is of utmost importance to people and gets the hype up. It's going to be entertaining for every new trailer!
Yeah it'll keep us guessing.

Unless there's a random leak with every fighter, those happen sometimes lol.
goku the krump dancer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:56 pm Eh, not really happy with the idea that we’re potentially getting FIVE different Vegeta’s or maybe even 6 if you wanna count Baby, each switch their own and sorta redundant transformations.

Saiyan arc- Base, Oozaru

Android arc - Base, SS1, Grade 2

Boo arc - Base, SS1,SS2, Majin ( which shockingly seems like a manual transformation this time, which is a first for the Sparking series.)

Super - Base, SS1, God, Blue, Bluvilution (?) most likely

GT- SS4 ( potentially base and SS1)

GT - Baby possessed SS1, Mutation 1, Mutation 2, Oozaru.

I’m still crossing my fingers that at least Android arc and Boo arc Vegeta are one and the same though what would be ideal is all Vegeta’s minus Baby’s infection being all one character.

Now I know one might say “well hey, wouldn’t that be too many transformations for one character” and to that I say HELL NO. This isn’t a traditional fighting game that requires a certain level of balance in order for things to be fair, this is supposedly a love letter to not only the series but the sub series of games that prides themselves on fan service above all else. Plus we are on what, generation 8 of gaming consoles? The PS5 is easily 10x more powerful than the PS3 so there should be Zero issues, (pun intended) when it comes to offering different transformation branches ala Raging Blast for the characters that it applies to.
Cell saga and Buu saga Vegeta are separate characters, you can see on the current roster:

Goku also has the same early/mid/end character separations from BT3.

In total, there are currently 13 Vegetas, and 11 Gokus.

Anyways, thinking of it, do y'all think Towa or Mira, and/or both 21s have a chance of making it in?
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:10 pm

Lukmendes wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:01 pmAnyways, thinking of it, do y'all think Towa or Mira, and/or both 21s have a chance of making it in?
They should. So far it wasn't revealed anything interesting (and it's almost a year since its announcement), so... The least they can do is add certain special characters like those ones.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:16 pm

I really hope that last shot isn't actual character select screen cause it looks like a mess, just terrible, everything is placed randomly on grid, including transformations.

Roster seems pretty big although they do include transformations here. So we will see like multiple versions of Frieza, Cell and Buu there as well. Then some other characters like 10 versions of Gohan etc. Also we see Z 18 and DBS 17 so there is a chance Z and DBS versions of these characters (and maybe others as well) will be separate characters.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:21 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:10 pm They should. So far it wasn't revealed anything interesting (and it's almost a year since its announcement), so... The least they can do is add certain special characters like those ones.
Honestly while I'm not against those characters, it'd just suck if this game prioritizes just the recent characters and some of the popular old ones, but skip too many characters like Z movie villains, GT characters and whatnot, since part BT was just how many of the movie characters it included, and eventually others from vanilla DB.

Oh well, with this game having 164 characters compared to BT3's 161, there'll be inevitably a lot of cuts, hope it doesn't overly prioritize Super to the point vanilla DB/Z movies/GT get too sidelined...

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:26 pm

The game looks incredible, but I don't like how every transformation takes a slot. They should do like Tenkaichi and Raging Blast.
Have 3 or 4 Gokus and Vegetas and which one with their respective transformations in sub-slots.

There are 164 slots. I expect at least 50 different characters with the rest being transformations or variants (Ex: Goku and Vegeta Early, Mid, End Z)

I still think the roster will be incredible and by far better than any modern DB game. The fact that we will still have DLCs gives it an advantage that Tenkaichi didn't have. I would just like the character screen better organized. Have like 20 Goku and Vegeta there don't look good.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:27 pm

Just watched the new trailer.

While I liked what I've seen from the gameplay, it also raised me some concerns about how they'll handle some version of the characters, specially the fusions:

Vegetto (Blue): I really hope they don't make this guy as a separate character. It would be a waste of a character slot and it wouldn't make sense since we've already seen Vegetto transform from his base form in both Z and Super.

Super Gogeta (M12): After I saw that DBS Vegeta's model was based on Shintani's design (which is awesome), I started to wonder how they'll handle this guy too.

Personally, I think the best solution would be having M12's design as an alternate costume because it would be pretty redundant from Bandai Namco to give us two SSJ Gogetas as separate characters.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:34 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:26 pm I still think the roster will be incredible and by far better than any modern DB game.
I don't think Sparking Zero's roster is beating XV2's any time soon tbh. That game is just too content packed by now. And it already feels like they're holding characters back just to have 10 DLC packs ready in advance (well, just like XV2 then :lol: )

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:26 pm The game looks incredible, but I don'y like how every transformation takes a slot. They should do like Tenkaichi and Raging Blast.
Have 3 or 4 Gokus and Vegetas and which one with their respective transformations in sub-slots.

There are 164 slots. I expect at least 50 different characters with the rest being transformations or variants (Ex: Goku and Vegeta Early, Mid, End Z)

Mind you I think the roster will be incredible and by far better than any modern DB game. The fact that we will still have DLCs give it an advantage that Tenkaichi didn't have. I would just like the character screen better organized. Have like 20 Goku and Vegeta there don't look good.
We don't know if that is actually the character select screen, they could always do one like the BT2/3 one, but this one is more convenient for trailers to show off everyone who's included.
Tian wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:27 pm Just watched the new trailer.

While I liked what I've seen from the gameplay, it also raised me some concerns about how they'll handle some version of the characters, specially the fusions:

Vegetto (Blue): I really hope they don't make this guy as a separate character. It would be a waste of a character slot and it wouldn't make sense since we've already Vegetto transform from his base form in both Z and Super.
Vegetto Blue will likely be his own slot if included, since DB games aren't shy about transformations lol.

One thing that could trim it down is if they remove Z base Vegetto, but I doubt that's happening.
Super Gogeta (M12): After I saw that DBS Vegeta's model was based on Shintani's design (which is awesome), I started to wonder how they'll handle this guy too.

Personally, I think the best solution would be having M12's design as an alternate costume because it would be pretty redundant from Bandai Namco to give us two SSJ Gogetas as separate characters.
Yeah, specially if they include GT Gogeta too lol.

Hopefully they'll just made Z/Super Gogeta be the same and just make SS Gogeta be more based on Janemba with some Super stuff... Though knowing Tenkaichi games, they'll likely made a Z Gogeta and a Super Gogeta, and with this new one, make their differences be the art style lol.

DBFZ, Xenoverse and Heroes really show just how much these companies like Gokus, Vegetas, and fusions of those two, and I'll be more surprised if a new Tenkaichi game doesn't follow this pattern.
Xeogran wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:34 pm I don't think Sparking Zero's roster is beating XV2's any time soon tbh. That game is just too content packed by now. And it already feels like they're holding characters back just to have 10 DLC packs ready in advance (well, just like XV2 then :lol: )
To be fair, Xenoverse has 7 years worth of DLC lol.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:26 pm The fact that we will still have DLCs gives it an advantage that Tenkaichi didn't have.
It's not an advantage considering they make you pay for old stuff. Back then there were no DLCs so they had to make complete roster on release. Now they don't.
It might be good when we get a new content like Daima or new movie and they want to add these characters, but adding old character behind pay wall is just bad. This applies to every fighting game though, not just DB. This is why i never buy any fighting games.
Lukmendes wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:21 pm Oh well, with this game having 164 characters compared to BT3's 161, there'll be inevitably a lot of cuts, hope it doesn't overly prioritize Super to the point vanilla DB/Z movies/GT get too sidelined...
That's exactly what will happen most likely. 3 more characters, but a lot of new characters and forms from since last game. So there is no way to have everything from BT3. Z always gets prioritized, DBS is new so they will want to add a lot of stuff. That means OG DB, GT and movies will have terrible time, at least in base game. Characters like Mercenary Tao, Nuova Shenron, Pikkon, Turles, Slug etc. will probably not be available in base game.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:57 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:45 pm It's not an advantage considering they make you pay for old stuff. Back then there were no DLCs so they had to make complete roster on release. Now they don't.
It might be good when we get a new content like Daima or new movie and they want to add these characters, but adding old character behind pay wall is just bad. This applies to every fighting game though, not just DB. This is why i never buy any fighting games.
Yeah, they're already expensive by default and then you have to pay more...

Some fighters may add an option to buy characters with in-game currency that you grind, but most don't bother.

To slightly defend the DLC practice though, fighters nowadays are made to last, while back then they would just keep churning out a lot of games, sometimes even yearly, so if you're keeping up with a series back then, you'll buy a bunch of different games, with a series now, you'll buy one game with 300 billion DLCs... Though the problem with the current DLC "culture" is how fucking difficult it is to just buy a complete game at a reasonable price, 'cause holy shit, the prices are disgusting lol.
That's exactly what will happen most likely. 3 more characters, but a lot of new characters and forms from since last game. So there is no way to have everything from BT3. Z always gets prioritized, DBS is new so they will want to add a lot of stuff. That means OG DB, GT and movies will have terrible time, at least in base game. Characters like Mercenary Tao, Nuova Shenron, Pikkon, Turles, Slug etc. will probably not be available in base game.
I mean I'm already expecting a lot of cuts, characters like every tailed saiyans having Oozarus aren't coming back, and I doubt more minor characters like king Vegeta and Selipa will stay.

The question is, just how shafted the others will be, because Super being the newest shiny toy, it's not surprising it'll get prioritized and all, I just hope it's not too bad, but probably will be...

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:10 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:34 pm I don't think Sparking Zero's roster is beating XV2's any time soon tbh. That game is just too content packed by now. And it already feels like they're holding characters back just to have 10 DLC packs ready in advance (well, just like XV2 then :lol: )
Forgot about XV2. Yeah that game and its endless DLCs is one of a kind. :lol:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.