"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:55 pm

Kaboom wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:20 pm
Lukmendes wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:11 pmAlthough a criminally neglected character as far as GT representation goes is Rildo, like what the hell? There's so much you can do with him and he never makes the cut...
I KNOW, RIGHT?!

If they're using a nuclear-powered laser jackhammer to scrape the absolute bottom of the fecal-stained DBS barrel for entrants like friggin' Bergamo, then they'd better damn well also be increasing GT's representation compared to BT3. That should at least mean adding GT Trunks, Redgic, Rild, more of the Shadow Dragons, and a full-fledged GT Vegeta with multiple transformations instead of just his SS4 self as an isolated character.
Same here! I would looove to play as Rildo!! He’s really cool tbh and I’ve always wanted to see him playable in a game that isn’t Heroes/Dokkan/Legends

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:28 am

Tian wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:27 pm Just watched the new trailer.

While I liked what I've seen from the gameplay, it also raised me some concerns about how they'll handle some version of the characters, specially the fusions:

Vegetto (Blue): I really hope they don't make this guy as a separate character. It would be a waste of a character slot and it wouldn't make sense since we've already seen Vegetto transform from his base form in both Z and Super.

Super Gogeta (M12): After I saw that DBS Vegeta's model was based on Shintani's design (which is awesome), I started to wonder how they'll handle this guy too.

Personally, I think the best solution would be having M12's design as an alternate costume because it would be pretty redundant from Bandai Namco to give us two SSJ Gogetas as separate characters.

If you check the website they have multiple versions of Goku and Vegeta as separate characters, so I absolute expect the same to be applied to the likes of Vegetto and Gogeta.

Unfortunately this is just how games are nowadays, and Bandai Namco will absolutely want to drip feed content for years to come so expect plenty of characters to be locked behind a paywall.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:51 am

Damn near 11 years since its debut and Super Saiyan God remains my favorite transformation in the franchise, so I'm satisfied. It's funny that they dedicated way more time to it than Blue in the trailer, despite the latter being the "brand" form.

But even if this showcase wasn't everyone's cup of tea, I reckon it's good they're getting most of the basic Goku/Vegeta stuff out of the way first.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:49 am

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:28 am If you check the website they have multiple versions of Goku and Vegeta as separate characters, so I absolute expect the same to be applied to the likes of Vegetto and Gogeta.

Unfortunately this is just how games are nowadays, and Bandai Namco will absolutely want to drip feed content for years to come so expect plenty of characters to be locked behind a paywall.
That sucks. Then they're likely to add yet another Goku exclusively for UI and MUI states rather than making a single Goku (Super) have a branched style transformation system.

Hopefully in the next trailer, they clear things up regarding the roster and maybe show us whether team battles are still a thing in this game.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:28 am

yall oldheads gotta chill and take yall blood pressure medicine seriously in this thread about to have a heart attack cause general rildo aint on the roster. Got grown ass mods throwing tantrums like children knowing damn well yall wont even pick his ass once throught the lifespan of this game. :D

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:46 am

I honest to god don't know who General Rildo even is. I'll take Bergamo any day of the week over any GT character that isn't a major villain or in the main cast.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:04 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:46 am I honest to god don't know who General Rildo even is. I'll take Bergamo any day of the week over any GT character that isn't a major villain or in the main cast.
Rilld is the teal and yellow sexy daddy from Dragon Ball GT #17-22? #23? He's stronger than Majin Buu and is made of liquid metal.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:52 am

With almost the same number of slots as BT3 and a lot of new characters from DBS, I hope they add movies/specials/gt/games characters as DLC or something, it would be a shame to lose DB or manga characters. Please, have Arale and Neko Majin Z.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:03 am

The base roster being 164 is actually insane now that I think about it. I was expecting 80 characters MAX when this game was announced. I'm genuinely curious how they pulled this off with these visuals. They must have a really good workflow to manage to make a roster this huge. I know anime arena fighters aren't the most difficult thing in the world to make, but even the PS2 games had the benefit of being sequels to eachother and reused assets. This is a brand new game on modern hardware and we're getting the biggest roster ever in a DB game. Mad props to Spike Chunsoft for somehow pulling this off.

The cynic in me thought that we were going to get a much smaller roster and that they would release the full package later on in DLC. I'm so happy they proved me wrong. This really does feel like a love letter to fans who grew up with these games.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:46 am

I think for GT it's going to be the basic, Goku, Trunks, Vegeta, Pan, Uub, Baby, Super 17 and Omega Shenlong, all with their specific transformations.
I'm already expecting the Pre-Z Series Roster to be sucky, I can only see Kid Goku and Piccolo Daimao at best, Z and GT characters were already much more hyped than those from Pre-Z, and now Super added to the count will make things even harder for lil DB, there are always a chance in DLCs of course but I think it's more possible for them to add as DLC characters like Tarble, Hatchiyak, Androids 14 & 15 (remember RB2) and even Heroes characters first before any Pre-Z character that already existed in Sparking Meteor like Arale.

And new ones? Kid Kuririn, Lunch, 23rd TB Chichi, Metallic, Murasaki, Namu... I think next decade.
The gang from Super and possible extras from Z and maybe GT are going to be enough to make fans happy, Bandai knows this, hope everyone enjoy it ^^

(Adding Doll Goku as a skin for Kid Goku and make a Adult Goku variant have Feet Kamehameha would be enough to drive me crazy though)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:58 am

I guess transformations are different slots. Bit disappointing. Big roster but not that big when you think about it.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:22 am

Looks nice, but it's a turn off for me that mountains get destroyed and there's no debris left, it eventually disappears.
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:04 am He's stronger than Majin Buu and is made of liquid metal.
If Rildo ever gets a twitter/Tinder account, that should be his bio.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:45 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:46 am I honest to god don't know who General Rildo even is. I'll take Bergamo any day of the week over any GT character that isn't a major villain or in the main cast.
One of Myuu's creations who had a decent enough power, of controlling metal on a metal planet.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:03 am The base roster being 164 is actually insane now that I think about it. I was expecting 80 characters MAX when this game was announced. I'm genuinely curious how they pulled this off with these visuals. They must have a really good workflow to manage to make a roster this huge. I know anime arena fighters aren't the most difficult thing in the world to make, but even the PS2 games had the benefit of being sequels to eachother and reused assets. This is a brand new game on modern hardware and we're getting the biggest roster ever in a DB game. Mad props to Spike Chunsoft for somehow pulling this off.

The cynic in me thought that we were going to get a much smaller roster and that they would release the full package later on in DLC. I'm so happy they proved me wrong. This really does feel like a love letter to fans who grew up with these games.
To be fair, 164 is less impressive looking when there's so many Gokus and Vegetas, though that was also a thing for BT3 (Plus all of those Oozarus).

So to an extent there'll be a bunch of copy and pasting, question is how much, but right now about 15% of the cast is just Goku and Vegeta lol.

Wonder if they'll also make multiple versions of Bardock, with a Z Bardock and a Minus Bardock :lol:.
Trouser wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:58 am I guess transformations are different slots. Bit disappointing. Big roster but not that big when you think about it.
Its a Budokai Tenkaichi thing so I'm not too surprised.

I was baffled when the early/mid/end Gokus from Z returned though... I expected just a "Z" Goku since now we have Super and whatnot...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:42 am

Rildo was way more major character than Bergamo though.

I assume he is ignored because:
-Fight against him didn't really conclude
-Goku didn't use SS4 against him
-He comes from Black Star saga

Cause i can't think of any other reason he doesn't appear with Baby, Super 17 and Omega in games despite also being main boss of arc.
A fact we have someone like Bergamo over Rildo is just terryfing.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:02 am

Look, though it's just speculation, when you think of who will be in the base game and who will be DLC, you might have to think of the story mode.

They'll probably prioritize whoever makes it possible to go through the story mode, and save the DLC for those who aren't needed in the story mode (since DLC will probably include just characters for "free battle" modes and nothing for the story).

We know nothing of the story mode right now, but it will probably be to go through at least DBZ and DBS (if not more, since BT3 included sections for DB, movies and GT), so that they can say "not only you have the biggest roster in a BT game, but this roster can make you go through the many battles of the biggest span of the story ever too, from Raditz (or before) to Cell Max (or even GT)!"

BUT you also have to keep in mind that they want you to be tempted to pay for the DLC later.
Offering to pay to get Kiwi or Saibaimen is not as appealing as offering to pay to get Cooler, DBZ Broly, Janemba, Super Saiyan 4 Goku, etc...

So they have to give you enough to tell you "see, we give you so much that you can go through more story than ever before" but at the same time, keep enough to tell you "oh, that would be a shame not to complete your base game with those iconic characters and forms that just BEG to be in a perfect roster!"

Commercially speaking, they can't go giving you all relevant characters from DB, DBZ, DBS, DBGT and satisfying you from the get-go to tell you "and if you want to pay more to scrap the bottom of the barrel with uninteresting characters...".
They can't have players go "oh, actually, the base roster is enough to cover everything we want from the various series, it's already a good celebration in itself, I'm good without any DLC".

It's a game of making it acceptable enough so that you have to admit they made an effort for those unwilling to pay, but still missing enough crucial things so that you actually won't be able to refrain from buying more in due time.

And some characters like Rild would be a good way to do that. They might not include it as they can easily skip him in the story like they always did (plus there's no need to make an M2 stage this way so it's all the more convenient), and later say "but you DID want him in the roster and now you can have him!"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:13 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:22 am Looks nice, but it's a turn off for me that mountains get destroyed and there's no debris left, it eventually disappears.
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:04 am He's stronger than Majin Buu and is made of liquid metal.
If Rildo ever gets a twitter/Tinder account, that should be his bio.
General Rilld
He/Him | I'm stronger than Majin Buu and made of liquid metal.

600,967 tweets about how he's so cool, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:31 am

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:02 am Look, though it's just speculation, when you think of who will be in the base game and who will be DLC, you might have to think of the story mode.

They'll probably prioritize whoever makes it possible to go through the story mode, and save the DLC for those who aren't needed in the story mode (since DLC will probably include just characters for "free battle" modes and nothing for the story).

We know nothing of the story mode right now, but it will probably be to go through at least DBZ and DBS (if not more, since BT3 included sections for DB, movies and GT), so that they can say "not only you have the biggest roster in a BT game, but this roster can make you go through the many battles of the biggest span of the story ever too, from Raditz (or before) to Cell Max (or even GT)!"

BUT you also have to keep in mind that they want you to be tempted to pay for the DLC later.
Offering to pay to get Kiwi or Saibaimen is not as appealing as offering to pay to get Cooler, DBZ Broly, Janemba, Super Saiyan 4 Goku, etc...

So they have to give you enough to tell you "see, we give you so much that you can go through more story than ever before" but at the same time, keep enough to tell you "oh, that would be a shame not to complete your base game with those iconic characters and forms that just BEG to be in a perfect roster!"

Commercially speaking, they can't go giving you all relevant characters from DB, DBZ, DBS, DBGT and satisfying you from the get-go to tell you "and if you want to pay more to scrap the bottom of the barrel with uninteresting characters...".
They can't have players go "oh, actually, the base roster is enough to cover everything we want from the various series, it's already a good celebration in itself, I'm good without any DLC".

It's a game of making it acceptable enough so that you have to admit they made an effort for those unwilling to pay, but still missing enough crucial things so that you actually won't be able to refrain from buying more in due time.

And some characters like Rild would be a good way to do that. They might not include it as they can easily skip him in the story like they always did (plus there's no need to make an M2 stage this way so it's all the more convenient), and later say "but you DID want him in the roster and now you can have him!"
Thinking of it like this, that does give a higher chance for random nobodies like Cui to make it into the base roster, since no one would pay for him lol.

Also looking at the space Super Goku and Vegeta cover, it just seems that Super stuff will have a whole lot of characters, like more than 1/4 of the game. So we should really expect a lot of ToP characters... I wonder if Anilaza will be among them, since BT does like giant characters, and Oozaru Vegeta is confirmed, so that opens the door for kaijus like him.

I think having kaijus all but confirms Cell Max too... Unless he's DLC.

Also makes me wonder what they'll do about Piccolo, will ha have his Orange and Giant Orange for as separated characters? Lol.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:14 pm

Cool trailer but I realized SSB Evolved didn't appear. Lol
Gets treated worse than SSG Vegeta and hat was only in the Broly movie and manga. 😭

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:18 pm

I'd assume all the cut characters will be DLC

Speaking of cut content, I'd imagine a decent chunk of the stages won't return, makes sense for Beerus Planet to be a stage over Planet Vegeta

I could see the DLC working like this - Legacy Pack 1:

Kid Chichi, King Vegeta and Fasha with Planet Vegeta stage for example

This game will get DLCs for years to come lol

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:32 pm

The second trailer was a typical one like many DBZ core game showing Goku vs. Vegeta lol

And I can say that the visuals continue to look nice (although they are reminding me a bit of Kakarot at the beginning). However, I have some questions:

- Why didn't they show SSJ4? I understand that GT currently in 2023 is less fresh in the minds of fans than it was in 2007, but I'm afraid they will treat these forms as exclusive to DLC (which unfortunately is the curse of today's games).

- Unfortunately, there will be many Goku's and Vegeta's taking up space in separate slots, but I believe those from Z could very well have outfits from even a part of Super (RoF), and inevitably those who transform into God, Blue, or whatever would be different characters.

- Also did we get any japanese trailer so far? I'm only finding those with english dub.
Lukmendes wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:56 pm Daima too? That's surprising if true... Wonder if we'll have a situation like Xenoverse 2 Jiren having a completely different personality from the anime/manga Jiren.
Speak more about it, I remember having a issue with Goku Black voice (ENG DUB) being too deep or raspy, because the voice actor didn't recorded the character in the anime yet.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?