"Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Sparking! ZERO" Official Announcement & Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:00 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:28 am yall oldheads gotta chill and take yall blood pressure medicine seriously in this thread about to have a heart attack cause general rildo aint on the roster. Got grown ass mods throwing tantrums like children knowing damn well yall wont even pick his ass once throught the lifespan of this game. :D
Hopped in here and saw so many people losing their minds to the roster number and how many Gokus and Vegeta like they don't know who the publisher is. You know we getting a crap ton of DLC characters. You can't even compare the numbers because a third of the roster from BT3 will be DLC. And most of the random filler characters will be in because who the HFIL is paying for Freeza soldier 4 and the like.

This isn't like FoghterZ where if a character doesn't get in it's because they didn't want to put in the work for them. Most of the roster will be executed same with swapped around ki blasts and rushing attacks. There's no such thing as taking someone's slot of your fav don't get in.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: A new Budokai Tenkaichi has been announced

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:04 pm

Noah wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:32 pm The second trailer was a typical one like many DBZ core game showing Goku vs. Vegeta lol

And I can say that the visuals continue to look nice (although they are reminding me a bit of Kakarot at the beginning). However, I have some questions:

- Why didn't they show SSJ4? I understand that GT currently in 2023 is less fresh in the minds of fans than it was in 2007, but I'm afraid they will treat these forms as exclusive to DLC (which unfortunately is the curse of today's games).
Assuming GT stuff isn't DLC, I assume SS4s didn't show up so it can be revealed alongside other characters, and if they're doing that we may get very few GT stuff (Maybe Omega and Baby too, and possibly Super 17).
- Unfortunately, there will be many Goku's and Vegeta's taking up space in separate slots, but I believe those from Z could very well have outfits from even a part of Super (RoF), and inevitably those who transform into God, Blue, or whatever would be different characters.
I'm honestly more surprised they're keeping early/mid/end Z Gokus lol.
- Also did we get any japanese trailer so far? I'm only finding those with english dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh4Tw6xiGkA
Speak more about it, I remember having a issue with Goku Black voice (ENG DUB) being too deep or raspy, because the voice actor didn't recorded the character in the anime yet.
His personality was basically what Toppo became, apparently it's because that's the personality Toei planned for Jiren before Toriyama changed it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w0amM-mASI

Makes me wonder if Japanese Jiren is like this too now that I think about it...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:19 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:51 am Damn near 11 years since its debut and Super Saiyan God remains my favorite transformation in the franchise, so I'm satisfied.
Going back to this, my only nitpick so far is that they made God's hair identical to Goku's base form. The spikes are supposed to be more pronounced/visible in SSG, with none of the stray hair strands that you see in base. That's been universal to its design across the board, no matter which artist is drawing it.

It's not a big deal, but hopefully they change that before the game's out.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:34 pm

There is no reason to continue with that Early/Mid/End bullshit and wasting character slots. They can just add costumes from specific arcs and that's it. And if they want characters to have different techniques then why not make it like in Xenoverse? You simply pick Goku and then one of available presets that has fixed techniques and transformations and even maybe a costume. Or even let players customize their characters for extra modes and then just have fixed presets for story mode.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:47 pm

It's possible those are presented as separate character slots in the trailers much like the original BT games simply for the sake of saying "there are 160 characters", simply for the hype of the numerous roster.

Maybe in the game, they are actually compacted to a same slot in which you first select "Goku" and then you have the choice of "Early Goku", "Mid Goku", "End Goku", "Super Goku", "GT Goku" in a sub-menu, and then the form you want in another sub-menu, and all of this is equivalent to selecting presets of appearance and technics for a same character in the end.

But it's just more efficient marketing-wise to show "you have 160 characters with their own moves and appearance and more to come!" by separating all appearances, forms and move sets (even visually with the obviously-temporary slot portraits at the end), rather than say "you have 50 characters with many appearances and move sets from throughout the story depending on what you select for them".

The first one will make people go "wow, so many characters, that's insane!!" while the other might make them go "so what? Not so many characters and other games have dozens of costumes per character and even gameplay variations with different moves to select for each character!"

But I'm willing to bet that in the actual game, the selection screen will compact it all to a same character (or at least much less separate slots) having variations, because otherwise, a selection screen with 160 slots will be quite a mess to go through, just picking the Goku you want will take some time as you search for the right one among 15 portraits of him!

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:06 pm

If they do it like BT3 they'll just have the different base forms of Goku each in a menu separated by characters of that era, and then you select him and then you can choose if you want to start with a transformations.

This way, instead of showing 11 Gokus in a character select, there'll be "only" 4.

I'll be surprised if they don't make transformations in a sub menu be a thing honestly... And if they do it like BT3, fusions will be there too.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:10 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:42 am
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:46 am I honest to god don't know who General Rildo even is. I'll take Bergamo any day of the week over any GT character that isn't a major villain or in the main cast.
Rildo was way more major character than Bergamo though.

I assume he is ignored because:
-Fight against him didn't really conclude
-Goku didn't use SS4 against him
-He comes from Black Star saga

Cause i can't think of any other reason he doesn't appear with Baby, Super 17 and Omega in games despite also being main boss of arc.
A fact we have someone like Bergamo over Rildo is just terryfing.
I mean we don't know if we have Bergamo over Rilld because the entire cast has not been announced. But yeah, I'm still super surprised he hasn't been in a game outside of the card game gubbins and Transformations. You'd think he'd at least been in Xenoverse 2, but then again that even leaves out some Z era characters that I would have assumed in long ago.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:31 pm

The S wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:10 pm I mean we don't know if we have Bergamo over Rilld because the entire cast has not been announced. But yeah, I'm still super surprised he hasn't been in a game outside of the card game gubbins and Transformations. You'd think he'd at least been in Xenoverse 2, but then again that even leaves out some Z era characters that I would have assumed in long ago.
If Rildo made it in now it'd be surprising the be fair, but the discussion before is just, how he never really ends up in a game, even in BT3 which's definitely not too picky about who makes it in since it got fucking Yakon and Spopovich.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:57 pm

Funny thing is Rildo has a sweet moveset.
He can turn people and things into metal, similar to Buu into candy or Dabura into stone, can rocket-punch like Android 16 only he can actually control the flying fist, can shoot blasts from his regular drill, in his second form, and also in that form, perform that giant tornado-drill attack. He has a shield like 17 and Cell, and in his final form he can fuse with the enviroment, and use it to attack, like Janemba. He can also disappear-dodge like Janemba.

So it's not like he is just Vegeta's Technique™ + some kicking and punching. Forget his name and design, if you must, and that's an appealing character to play with right there.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:08 pm

Yeah Rildo is very underrated and overlooked. He has pretty good moveset and abilities. I don't expect them to add his every form, especially the drill one, but the first or final form should be playable in some games at least. He could even have some funny rush attack where he gets help from Sigma Force kinda like Babidi could summon Pui Pui and Yakon or King Piccolo could summon Drum.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:31 pm

I could be wrong, but isn't each transformation taking up a different slot the best case scenario? Obviously, the current roster will not be the way we saw in the trailer. We will have a Goku for each era and the transformations will appear once you select him. It will be more streamlined

But the transformations having different slots and being considered as ''different characters'' means that each form will have a different moveset, which I think is preferable than the approach that Xenoverse has (where you have Goku being able to transform into SSJ - SSJ3, but the combo strings are the same regardless of the transformation). Personally, I think this offers more variety and also justifies you actually using each form . Yeah, it kinda sucks that this approach might take up the space of another new character on the roster. But we know that in a game like this, it's not an option for people to not have every transformation that Goku and Vegeta have used in the series. Might as well make them feel different.

What I think would be interesting is the possibility of changing the characters' techniques. In XV, we have different versions of the same characters with different techniques, and being limited to the same techniques as in the old BT games is a little frustrating. I don't know if Sparkin Zero will adopt this, but this is something I would like to see differently. Also more cloth variety

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:53 pm

Well in previous Tenkaichi games every transformation had different moves. So they were still technically different characters. But advertising roster by using forms as characters is lazy. And placing them on character select screen (assuming this is how it looks) as different characters looks awful. Even if they technically are different characters they should still be grouped and let's hope they are in final version. Being grouped makes it much easier to find character you want and see what transformations it has.

Also i wonder if team battles will return. We can forget about 2v2 fights like in Tenkaichi on PSP obviously cause they're too lazy to implement that, but team battles (where you switch characters during battle) should return.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:04 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:57 pm Funny thing is Rildo has a sweet moveset.
He can turn people and things into metal, similar to Buu into candy or Dabura into stone, can rocket-punch like Android 16 only he can actually control the flying fist, can shoot blasts from his regular drill, in his second form, and also in that form, perform that giant tornado-drill attack. He has a shield like 17 and Cell, and in his final form he can fuse with the enviroment, and use it to attack, like Janemba. He can also disappear-dodge like Janemba.

So it's not like he is just Vegeta's Technique™ + some kicking and punching. Forget his name and design, if you must, and that's an appealing character to play with right there.
Don't forget he can control any metal he has turned, at least from objects, so he has a more flexible way to use this power, unlike Dabura/Boo who only have a kind of power like this as essentially an instant kill (Or nerfed by having the power turn back right after).

Him having a bunch of techniques is why I find it to be such a waste he never makes it in... Hell he even has one of the few actually okay fights in GT for like, a minute.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:08 pm Yeah Rildo is very underrated and overlooked. He has pretty good moveset and abilities. I don't expect them to add his every form, especially the drill one, but the first or final form should be playable in some games at least. He could even have some funny rush attack where he gets help from Sigma Force kinda like Babidi could summon Pui Pui and Yakon or King Piccolo could summon Drum.
That could be a long ranged grab, it's basically how he used it against Goku.
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:31 pm I could be wrong, but isn't each transformation taking up a different slot the best case scenario? Obviously, the current roster will not be the way we saw in the trailer. We will have a Goku for each era and the transformations will appear once you select him. It will be more streamlined

But the transformations having different slots and being considered as ''different characters'' means that each form will have a different moveset, which I think is preferable than the approach that Xenoverse has (where you have Goku being able to transform into SSJ - SSJ3, but the combo strings are the same regardless of the transformation). Personally, I think this offers more variety and also justifies you actually using each form . Yeah, it kinda sucks that this approach might take up the space of another new character on the roster. But we know that in a game like this, it's not an option for people to not have every transformation that Goku and Vegeta have used in the series. Might as well make them feel different.

What I think would be interesting is the possibility of changing the characters' techniques. In XV, we have different versions of the same characters with different techniques, and being limited to the same techniques as in the old BT games is a little frustrating. I don't know if Sparkin Zero will adopt this, but this is something I would like to see differently. Also more cloth variety
I doubt they'll do that, the biggest reason why characters are separated like this is for them to have fixed movesets to begin with, unless they decide to change up things, but I doubt it, and if you can just change up techniques like this, a lot of characters will become redundant if you can just give specific moves to another with a better set of melee...
sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:53 pm Well in previous Tenkaichi games every transformation had different moves. So they were still technically different characters. But advertising roster by using forms as characters is lazy. And placing them on character select screen (assuming this is how it looks) as different characters looks awful. Even if they technically are different characters they should still be grouped and let's hope they are in final version. Being grouped makes it much easier to find character you want and see what transformations it has.
The way this roster is done it just looks like it's there to reveal new characters and add them up to the total amount of characters for trailers in one screen, it would be really dumb for them to remove the sub menu system for transformations, since that made it clear who can transform into what.
Also i wonder if team battles will return. We can forget about 2v2 fights like in Tenkaichi on PSP obviously cause they're too lazy to implement that, but team battles (where you switch characters during battle) should return.
I'd be more surprised if they're gone considering how many of DB's battles were technically team battles, which gave you the freedom of picking whoever.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:54 am

Great Ape Vegeta's size makes me think the no local multiplayer is real.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:16 am

When I look at the initial roster released I just can't help but wonder if the production team that it would sound absolutely ridiculous or not.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:00 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:57 pm Funny thing is Rildo has a sweet moveset.

I wonder, has any there been made any mods for Rild or Lejiik?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:17 pm

Comparison shot between last year trailer and this one. Ignore the watermark.

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:34 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:17 pm Comparison shot between last year trailer and this one. Ignore the watermark.

It looks really good. I can't wait to see Goku Black and Zamasu.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:56 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:03 am The base roster being 164 is actually insane now that I think about it. I was expecting 80 characters MAX when this game was announced. I'm genuinely curious how they pulled this off with these visuals. They must have a really good workflow to manage to make a roster this huge. I know anime arena fighters aren't the most difficult thing in the world to make, but even the PS2 games had the benefit of being sequels to eachother and reused assets. This is a brand new game on modern hardware and we're getting the biggest roster ever in a DB game. Mad props to Spike Chunsoft for somehow pulling this off.

The cynic in me thought that we were going to get a much smaller roster and that they would release the full package later on in DLC. I'm so happy they proved me wrong. This really does feel like a love letter to fans who grew up with these games.
There’s no way they would have done only 80 characters counting on launch. That’s less than BT1.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:57 pm

I knew it was a terrible idea to bring back Tenkaichi and the roster was one of the reasons (among many others i wont get into) Ppl forget all this same bitching and moaning happened with Fighterz early on where ppl (majority older fans to be honest) were tryna gatekeep the roster due to their personal bias against Super. I'm talking VERY early on when we 1st found out about that game when the only characters were Goku,Vegeta,Gohan,Frieza,Cell, Kid Boo. "haha theres no super characters" was being thrown around & then look what happened Goku Black, Hit revealed & in later DLC season Majority Z/Super DLC very little GT.

In regards to Bergamo he got that furry factor in his favor I'm not surprised he got in. Plus wasnt he like a fusion of Jon Talbain from Darkstalkers with Bishop from X-men mutant ability to say he was just "vegeta technique character" is disingenuous & a failing on your addled memory i suggest you get help for that.