Dragon Ball Z Recut (Japanese version) Finished

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ThatRandomGuy

Re: Dragon Ball Z Recut (Japanese version) Finished

Post by ThatRandomGuy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:27 pm

Hi everyone, the current editor here.
I just wanted to apologise for the slowing down of episode releases. My IRL job has eaten up all the spare time I used to use for editing.

On top of that, Namek Saga is *riddled* with filler and removing some of it has been brutally difficult. It's been the Dark Souls of editing.

Rest assured I haven't abandoned the project. I just will be working on it much slower than I was before.

Sorry if this has let the community down.

WokeWendy

Post by WokeWendy » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:25 am

ThatRandomGuy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:27 pm Hi everyone, the current editor here.
I just wanted to apologise for the slowing down of episode releases. My IRL job has eaten up all the spare time I used to use for editing.

On top of that, Namek Saga is *riddled* with filler and removing some of it has been brutally difficult. It's been the Dark Souls of editing.

Rest assured I haven't abandoned the project. I just will be working on it much slower than I was before.

Sorry if this has let the community down.
Not at all! Anxiously looking forward to the next release, refreshing the archive page daily. Thank you for your hard work!

ThatRandomGuy

Post by ThatRandomGuy » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:25 am

[/quote]

Not at all! Anxiously looking forward to the next release, refreshing the archive page daily. Thank you for your hard work!
[/quote]

Thank you so much for the support. Season 2 (the Namek Saga) should be all up now. :)

I have done 4 episodes of Season 3 (Android Saga) and will upload them soon.

WokeWendy

Post by WokeWendy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:55 am

Thank you so much for the support. Season 2 (the Namek Saga) should be all up now. :)

I have done 4 episodes of Season 3 (Android Saga) and will upload them soon.
I've watched the previous edit up to Perfect Cell, and now I've decided to wait until you finish yours past that point to continue watching. Take your time with it, definitely doesn't seem like an easy undertaking but it's coming along great :D

superplough

Post by superplough » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:05 am

Hi there, from what I can tell your recut episode 4 is missing a scene from the manga, the scene where Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Chaozu and Yajirobe are training in the Heavenly Realm, the anime adapted it near the end of episode 14. Apologies if I have missed this scene and it is located elsewhere in the recut.

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:29 am

superplough wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:05 am Hi there, from what I can tell your recut episode 4 is missing a scene from the manga, the scene where Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Chaozu and Yajirobe are training in the Heavenly Realm, the anime adapted it near the end of episode 14. Apologies if I have missed this scene and it is located elsewhere in the recut.
Hello there, could you please show us a couple of screenshots from the manga scene you are talking about just to be sure we are on the same page?

superplough

Post by superplough » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:44 am

Spyro Chris wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:29 amHello there, could you please show us a couple of screenshots from the manga scene you are talking about just to be sure we are on the same page?
From chapter 209 of the manga

From episode 14 of the Z anime, 21:11 to 21:34

ThatRandomGuy

Post by ThatRandomGuy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:24 pm

superplough wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:44 am
Spyro Chris wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:29 amHello there, could you please show us a couple of screenshots from the manga scene you are talking about just to be sure we are on the same page?
From chapter 209 of the manga

From episode 14 of the Z anime, 21:11 to 21:34
I see what you mean. Thank you for your input.
This is something Spyro and I discussed at length.
I believe the filler material doesn't really reflect this panel.
But I can re-add it and try to find a way to make it work.

superplough

Post by superplough » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:04 am

I wasn't talking about a filler scene, just that one short scene that is in the manga

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:31 pm

I just watched the first episode and am impressed so far. Maybe it's the Level sets footage, the Kikuchi score, the slower pace within scenes, or all of the above, but it feels higher quality than Kai.

It seemed like the audio cut weirdly before the eye-catch and the cut to credits, like it was a split second too early, but I assume that's because in the original the video and audio don't completely line up with each other when the scene changes? The eye-catch itself seemed really early too but you'll always get that with these projects.

It's an interest aside that this is dual audio, considering it's a Japanese version. I didn't even realise that was there until afterwards - has anyone dared to watch it in English and see if it actually works with the edit? I understand it's the Z dub as all previous attempts to integrate the Kai dub with Z-placement Kikuchi score have failed or died, so I'd be watching in Japanese anyway, but I can't help being curious about if it actually works properly or not :D

I'll be checking out more episodes for sure.

ThatRandomGuy

Post by ThatRandomGuy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:55 am

superplough wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:04 am I wasn't talking about a filler scene, just that one short scene that is in the manga
I understand, but that panel in the Manga isn't 1:1 in the original Anime. So we would have to use filler as it fills in this missing panel. I'll figure it out and try to make it work nicely. 😊

ThatRandomGuy

Post by ThatRandomGuy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:02 am

Fizzer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:31 pm I just watched the first episode and am impressed so far. Maybe it's the Level sets footage, the Kikuchi score, the slower pace within scenes, or all of the above, but it feels higher quality than Kai.

It seemed like the audio cut weirdly before the eye-catch and the cut to credits, like it was a split second too early, but I assume that's because in the original the video and audio don't completely line up with each other when the scene changes? The eye-catch itself seemed really early too but you'll always get that with these projects.

It's an interest aside that this is dual audio, considering it's a Japanese version. I didn't even realise that was there until afterwards - has anyone dared to watch it in English and see if it actually works with the edit? I understand it's the Z dub as all previous attempts to integrate the Kai dub with Z-placement Kikuchi score have failed or died, so I'd be watching in Japanese anyway, but I can't help being curious about if it actually works properly or not :D

I'll be checking out more episodes for sure.
Thank you so much for your input. The more constructive criticism the better.

The Eye-Catch is a bit of a bug bear and it's from almost a year ago, my editing has thankfully improved since. It's on mine and Spyro's list of fixes. Once I'm finally finished Buu Saga (which I'm secretly dreading 🥶) I will go back and do the touch ups the community and Spyro have asked for. :)

Anymore oddities please report them. 😊