Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gashaponista

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by Gashaponista » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:49 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:40 pm Why is Fat Buu shown as a kid if he does not age?
Are you seriously going to question that a spell can rejuvenate a magical being?

We don't know exactly how the "curse" works: we have bald Roshi, Yamcha with scars, Goku and Vegeta without tails, etc.

Maybe it makes some in universe sense or maybe these are just stylistic decisions.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:50 am

Clearly they're not kids, they're just small.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:53 am

Gashaponista wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:49 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:40 pm Why is Fat Buu shown as a kid if he does not age?
Are you seriously going to question that a spell can rejuvenate a magical being?

We don't know exactly how the "curse" works: we have bald Roshi, Yamcha with scars, Goku and Vegeta without tails, etc.

Maybe it makes some in universe sense or maybe these are just stylistic decisions.
Seems more like a chibification spell than a de-aging spell.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:54 am

Yuji wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:50 am Clearly they're not kids, they're just small.
Then why are Goten and Trunks acting like babies, if they are not babies but small? It doesn't look like they can walk and talk. The only thing that they can do is wall around from the looks of it.

Trunks looks and acts like when he was a baby in the Android Saga.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:37 am

It's not literal chibification. If it was chibification, you wouldn't have characters losing facial hair or Toriyama's design notes mentioning that they changed Goku and co.'s facial features.

De-aging also isn't necessarily tantamount to "time reversal", so the spell isn't restoring lost appendages or scars. It's just making them children (or babies, in Goten and Trunks's case) while taking into account any sort of permanent changes they've incurred throughout adolescence or adulthood. Hairstyles also remain.

For characters that never existed as children, like Boo, it's all made up.

This is clearly just Toriyama having fun. Don't overthink it.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:50 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:37 amThis is clearly just Toriyama having fun. Don't overthink it.
Sir, this suggestion flies in the face of decades of tradition!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:06 pm

Zephyr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:50 am
Mr Baggins wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:37 amThis is clearly just Toriyama having fun. Don't overthink it.
Tradition is weakness. 😎
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:06 pm
Zephyr wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:50 am
Tradition is weakness. 😎
Reject hair dye (Super) AND reject monke (GT)
Return to tradition (Daima)
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:13 pm

I could see Goku getting his tail back later in the show. If they really want to do their own SSj4, now they have the chance too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:13 pm

I sure hope they don't, I mean, I won't be disappointed if they introduce SSJ4 or a new transformation in this series, but I really don't think it's necessary, specially because I think it was a perfect idea to give each character a different new transformation (UI, UE, Beast & Orange)

For me, it has come to a point where there are already enough transformations in the series, if it's to defeat a stronger villain then I want the old formula back, specially from before the SSJ was introduced, make the character stronger but learn new techniques as well, as the Kaioken and the Genkidama, and Goku made stronger versions of both techniques in the Freeza Saga, I would like to see that again, they kind of did it recently, but I want to see more of Vegeta's Forced Spirit Fission something.

If my theory from a few months ago about Daima actually replacing Super as the true continuation of the Buu Saga becomes a reality, then I would like if SSJ God and Ultra Instinct were reintroduced, as I really like these transformations not only in appearance but also in concept. I think SSJ4 has a good design but I don't think the form is very interesting, if they really do make it "canon" in Daima then for me the best path they can take is for Goku to get this transformation but then lose it and not be able to get it back anymore.
But I don't see it happening as they need to sell toys. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:17 pm

I hate giving the "Nozawa should leave" even A LITTLE attention but I am worried as to why Nozawa wasnt there. I am legit scared for her health.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:24 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:17 pm I hate giving the "Nozawa should leave" even A LITTLE attention but I am worried as to why Nozawa wasnt there. I am legit scared for her health.
????

There being? The New York Comic Con where the series was announced? The trailer for a series that the cast probably hasn't even begun recording for yet? I don't think either of those are cause for concern. Am I missing something?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:31 pm

For once I am so glad I am a dumbass. I am glad to hear she's OK.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:40 pm

I said it here before and I will repeat it, remember the first 2 trailers for Super Hero, they also had no voice acting, this doesn't indicate anything other than that they must not have started recording yet as MasenkoHA is saying.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

supershonen

Post by supershonen » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:32 am

It's so obvious that SSJ4 is going to show up at one point in the series. This whole thing screams GT and the guy who designed SSJ4 is the character designer, DUH. They could reboot Black star dragon ball saga because it's concept was very cool.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:45 am

Not gonna lie, the recent teaser gave me "Goku goes to Planet Imegga" vibes.
Whether Daima is Toriyama's own interpretation of GT or not, I don't care, I just want some fresh air.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:51 am

I really would like to understand the "it's so obvious" and "this whole thing screams GT" parts

Why does Nakatsuru's return as Character Designer mean that SSJ4 will appear? He was involved in other projects in the franchise besides GT, including being a character designer before in Z, and SSJ4 returned several times extensively in Heroes, and Nakatsuru has no involvement in that series.

Why does this screams GT? Because of the characters turning back into children? Goku de-aged in GT for different reasons, there he still has almost all the powers he had when he was an adult, and his tail grew back, here it's the opposite as he can't even fly. Plus, this series is being made to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the original manga, it's probably just meant to be a callback to Goku's childhood adventures.

Drawing this conclusion reminded me of the various news sites I came across after the reveal of the First Trailer, several of them said that Daima would be a reboot or remake of GT without giving any explanation for such statement. I understand why there are people who believe this, I'm no expert on the franchise but I know that little researches are more than enough to conclude that saying that "this will happen and it's obvious" is a shameless fallacy, sorry.
Or I should just go take a nap.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:09 am

Goku being de-aged, returning to the roots of classic DB, traveling around the universe in what seems like planet-hopping from the trailer to me at least feel like are all clear nods to GT. And the planet (?) Goku visits aesthetically reminds me of Imegga.

I don't want Daima to be GT, but I do feel like there's at least clear signs of inspiration on it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:22 am

This is exactly why we need a trailer focusing on the plot for last week... To lay all the doubts and confusion to rest. Until we finally get it, these exact same points will just keep popping up in the discussions throughout the Internet.

They announce something, and then we go extremely long periods without anything substantial and actually worth talking about. And to be honest, I don't think the next trailer (whenever that is planned to be released... Maybe in August?) will contain any interesting info either, will just be random and vague stuff. For now, it is quite understandable those who feel "Dragon Ball GT vibes" from it (not that there's something wrong with that), but it's not like they are doing much to clear that off.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:26 am

And I understand that, specially that GT's first saga was kind of a celebration of the original anime's 10th anniversary.
but now using this among other things as "evidence" to draw a conclusion that this series is entirely based on GT or that it will have the SSJ4 is directly misinforming (and I believe it's a hot topic I guess, so it would be good for news websites?) I don't doubt that there really is some inspiration in GT, but it can have references to GT as well as references to Pre-Z, Z and Super.

Imagine saying that Goku going to another planet is one of the pieces of evidence that this is based on GT, when prior to GT we actually had 2 sagas where the characters go to another planet, it would be laughable to say the least. It's better to wait before jumping to any conclusions.