[Request] Dragon Ball GT Recut (Japanese)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sabre7

[Request] Dragon Ball GT Recut (Japanese)

Post by Sabre7 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:00 pm

Oss, everyone! :wave:

I'm looking for a well-made Recut of Dragon Ball GT in Japanese if possible.
Is one out there already? If not, I'd be willing to pay for this to be done tbh :shh:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: [Request] Dragon Ball GT Recut (Japanese)

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:32 pm

Sabre7 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:00 pm Oss, everyone! :wave:

I'm looking for a well-made Recut of Dragon Ball GT in Japanese if possible.
Is one out there already? If not, I'd be willing to pay for this to be done tbh :shh:
I would love a project like that, too, but I am not sure it's possible to do.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:02 am

Depends, what do you consider worthless and okay to cut?

Funimation sure thought the first 15 episodes of the series were worthless and nobody would miss them.

Problem: A lot of important things happen in these first 15 episodes. Characters are introduced, personal arcs are set, story rules are laid out, characters develop, and the people they help along the way come back to save their asses at the very end of the show. With the first 15 episodes of the series cut, a number of problems in the story surge:

- Who is Giru and why should I care that he "betrayed" the team?
- Who is Dr. Mu and why should I care about the supposed threat he poses?
- What are the Machine Mutants again? And why is this relevant when Super 17 shows up again?
- "I diverted energy from Lood to you, Baby!" - Who is Lood again?
- Who are all these people showing up to give their energy to Goku again?
- Why is Goku not teleporting? I swear he could teleport during Z.

But, as it stands, the first batch of episodes of GT are very much maligned within the fandom, so I'm pretty sure if given the option, most people would opt to skip them. I think that's more due to their preference on super intense fight scenes rather than anything in GT being truly bad during that initial portion, but that's just what I think.

In the other extreme, take the Super 17 arc for example. A lot happens in under just 7 episodes, but at the same time, everything that happens is just so awfully written that very few actually like the arc itself. And most of what happens is a bunch of fight scenes one after another with very little logic or coherence behind it. If you cut most of Super 17 out, what exactly is left of it?

I don't think speeding up GT would end up increasing its quality, or lack thereof.

Sabre7

Post by Sabre7 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:31 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:02 am I don't think speeding up GT would end up increasing its quality, or lack thereof.
I think a lot of small, minor cuts to remove the worst of the worst could do A LOT.

Buutama42

Post by Buutama42 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:11 pm

I made a GT recut a long time ago, except I could only make the changes I want in the English dub since the programs I was using could only separate the English audio (5.1) tracks (such as the music or the sound effects) and not the Japanese audio. I have the recut on my Reddit page, which I have listed on my user page here if you're interested in checking that out. However, I'm not sure how to really do a "recut" of the Japanese version. Some scenes are only able to exist in my recut thanks to being able to edit with the dub (such as removing Baby's lines about Luud or Piccolo saying goodbye to Goku, albeit in Heaven in my recut).

I can give a rundown of the major changes from my recut.
1. The narrator is completely removed, instead being replaced by a fade to black for every episode.
2. Less annoying moments (most of Pan's scenes).
3. Less time spent on filler (searching for the Dragon Balls) while filler characters are cut out (The Para Para Brothers, Zunama, Luud, Mutchy, and Dolltaki are completely removed from this version).
4. Less continuity errors overall.
5. Better powerscaling (scenes with characters like Trunks getting beaten up easily to make Goku look better are removed).
6. Soundtracks from Dragon Ball shows and games are used, as well as music from other franchises.
7. Character motivations/goals are cut out to make some characters more interesting (Baby and Omega Shenron's goal of ruling the universe are removed and scenes of some of the Shadow Dragons calling themselves evil have been removed).
8. The Baby Saga ends on a more somber note than the original and more directly sets up the Shadow Dragons Saga in its final moments.
9. The Super 17 Saga is nearly completed removed apart from 6 minutes from the arc. This was done because I felt that beyond those 6 minutes, the arc did not contribute enough to the story to be included. As such, Krillin doesn't die again (that guy needs a break). Sadly, Android 18's day in the sun during this arc had to be cut out of this version as a result.
10. Some characters' final state of affairs are altered (Piccolo remains in Heaven since his role of going to Hell to help Goku in the Super 17 Saga is removed, Vegeta gets to keep his tail and the ability to become Super Saiyan 4, Mr. Satan actually retires, and Puck actually dies in the episodes covering A Hero's Legacy) for the sake of either continuity in the recut or what I thought would make the story more interesting.
11. Fights are greatly shortened in length (Super Saiyan 4 Goku vs Golden Great Ape Baby) or altered (Goku killing the Shadow Dragons much faster, Naturon Shenron accidentally killing himself with his own technique, and Gogeta actually killing Omega Shenron rather than Goku using the Spirit Bomb) to improve pacing.
12. The final sequence in the show has new flashbacks used while cutting out some old ones.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:59 pm

Buutama42 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:11 pm I made a GT recut a long time ago, except I could only make the changes I want in the English dub since the programs I was using could only separate the English audio (5.1) tracks (such as the music or the sound effects) and not the Japanese audio. I have the recut on my Reddit page, which I have listed on my user page here if you're interested in checking that out. However, I'm not sure how to really do a "recut" of the Japanese version. Some scenes are only able to exist in my recut thanks to being able to edit with the dub (such as removing Baby's lines about Luud or Piccolo saying goodbye to Goku, albeit in Heaven in my recut).

I can give a rundown of the major changes from my recut.
1. The narrator is completely removed, instead being replaced by a fade to black for every episode.
2. Less annoying moments (most of Pan's scenes).
3. Less time spent on filler (searching for the Dragon Balls) while filler characters are cut out (The Para Para Brothers, Zunama, Luud, Mutchy, and Dolltaki are completely removed from this version).
4. Less continuity errors overall.
5. Better powerscaling (scenes with characters like Trunks getting beaten up easily to make Goku look better are removed).
6. Soundtracks from Dragon Ball shows and games are used, as well as music from other franchises.
7. Character motivations/goals are cut out to make some characters more interesting (Baby and Omega Shenron's goal of ruling the universe are removed and scenes of some of the Shadow Dragons calling themselves evil have been removed).
8. The Baby Saga ends on a more somber note than the original and more directly sets up the Shadow Dragons Saga in its final moments.
9. The Super 17 Saga is nearly completed removed apart from 6 minutes from the arc. This was done because I felt that beyond those 6 minutes, the arc did not contribute enough to the story to be included. As such, Krillin doesn't die again (that guy needs a break). Sadly, Android 18's day in the sun during this arc had to be cut out of this version as a result.
10. Some characters' final state of affairs are altered (Piccolo remains in Heaven since his role of going to Hell to help Goku in the Super 17 Saga is removed, Vegeta gets to keep his tail and the ability to become Super Saiyan 4, Mr. Satan actually retires, and Puck actually dies in the episodes covering A Hero's Legacy) for the sake of either continuity in the recut or what I thought would make the story more interesting.
11. Fights are greatly shortened in length (Super Saiyan 4 Goku vs Golden Great Ape Baby) or altered (Goku killing the Shadow Dragons much faster, Naturon Shenron accidentally killing himself with his own technique, and Gogeta actually killing Omega Shenron rather than Goku using the Spirit Bomb) to improve pacing.
12. The final sequence in the show has new flashbacks used while cutting out some old ones.
I can't speak for everybody, but I would dearly miss The Black Star Arc, which you admit here you cut most of because "it's filler."
Of course, I don't know if that's because I didn't suffer with the English version, but to each their own.
This is the problem with "recutting" GT. What you think is trash may not be to someone else.