What are the worst Dragonball hot takes you've ever heard?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

XenoSaiyan
Banned Alternate Account

What are the worst Dragonball hot takes you've ever heard?

Post by XenoSaiyan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:18 am

Excluding fan theories and powerscaling takes.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Re: What are the worst Dragonball hot takes you've ever heard?

Post by Dragon ball master » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:53 am

The fact that when goku hits his head as a baby he got into a coma and the adventures he had is in his coma. 99.99% of coma theory are the same with something happening to the character that go them into an coma and there hole show is a in there coma. That's just BS bro very BS

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:08 am

The Ocean cast imitated the Funimation cast in the Westwood dub, or anything to the effect of that dub copying the Texas dub other than the scripts, which was probably just a convenience measure. Having the cast watch the episodes would have been more time consuming and since Westwood were under pressure to sell the dub internationally that would have been counter productive.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:48 am

I've never heard either of those before lol Where do these ideas reside?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:00 am

When Goku gets all violent and bloodthirsty "that's not Goku that's Kakarot"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:30 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:48 am I've never heard either of those before lol Where do these ideas reside?
I can't remember where but it was in one of those trashy "Did You Know" articles on a site like Screenrant or Comic Book Resources. I'm sure it's been perpetuated on some old forums where the Funimation vs Ocean wars used to rage on too. Just seems to be one of those myths about the Westwood dub that will never die out, alongside the notion that AB Groupe were the producers.

I have no problem with people preferring the Texas cast, but since they were hired for the purpose of imitating the Vancouver cast it would be a bit ridiculous if the Vancouver cast were then directed to try and copy their soundalikes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:49 pm

Stuff like "the Ocean cast imitated the Texas cast" sounds more like misinformation to me. Lemme gather a couple of definitions to help narrow down my own criteria:
Google:
a piece of commentary, typically produced quickly in response to a recent event, whose primary purpose is to attract attention.
Meeriam-Webster:
a quickly produced, strongly worded, and often deliberately provocative or sensational opinion or reaction
So, basically "bait" takes formed immediately after reading/watching some DB related stuff, I guess? That's hard to narrow down, because it's not as if one can be justified in simply dismissing another person's take as "bait"; we can't know for sure someone's motive for posting an opinion online. Who's to say it's not how they really feel?

There are a lot of posts I've read here, past and present, that feel like they've misread or misunderstood the work in question that I almost can't help but feel that they have to be disingenuously trying to rile people up or trick them into replying, but, like, I can't really know that that's the case. I also can't know that these takes are "quickly produced", and not ones that have been workshopped for years.

But I guess as far as "quickly produced" goes, the ones I see most often are probably those "Piccolo is Gohan's real dad"-type takes. But that's also a meme, and so probably doesn't even need someone to engage with the work at all in order to post it online.

I dunno, this is really hard to answer without simply rattling off a list of opinions I think are Dumb And Wrong™, which risks straddling a line between gossiping about other communities and rudely dunking on people in this very community.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:30 amI have no problem with people preferring the Texas cast, but since they were hired for the purpose of imitating the Vancouver cast it would be a bit ridiculous if the Vancouver cast were then directed to try and copy their soundalikes.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:21 pm

I remember we had one member named Gokurulez that try to agrue that Dragon Ball is more popular than Christianity
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:31 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:21 pm I remember we had one member named Gokurulez that try to agrue that Dragon Ball is more popular than Christianity
You mean this user?

I want to believe they were on an acid trip because nobody can be so stupid to compare a religion and a manga & anime franchise, and what's worse, use Google searches as a source.

Not to mention, that using a tragic event like 9/11 as an argument for his wacky theory about christianity "becoming more popular" is just... insane.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:21 pm I remember we had one member named Gokurulez that try to agrue that Dragon Ball is more popular than Christianity
It probably is in certain Asian countries where Christianity is a relatively minor religion.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:48 pm

Well, lots of Christians ARE into Dragon Ball LOL. I know Christianity wins out though.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:27 am

Hard to define what a hot take is in a fandom as large and diverse in opinions as Dragon Ball's, I'm not sure if this can be considered one, but it usually results in big debates when its brought up, so I'll assume it does. Any variation of "Dragon Ball is only popular in the US thanks to Funimation" makes me roll my eyes

Notice how it's only when a franchise gets heavily altered that "not being american enough" is a problem, nobody is complaining about faithful adaptations of non-american media. Dragon Ball became insanely popular world-wide, yet Funi's version of the series is relatively obscure outside of the english speaking world, so I sincerily doubt that american kids specifically would be raising their american flags and the national anthem while crying tears of pain because that one show they watched isn't american enough, I'm sure they would still like it just fine

I have no problem with people liking it though, I just think that Funimation needed Dragon Ball more than Dragon Ball needed them
she/they.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:44 am

Not much point contributing to the thread since it's another retread of something that always comes up (and the maker isn't around to see it anyway), but
NeoZ Duwang wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:27 amFunimation needed Dragon Ball more than Dragon Ball needed them
Of course, they had absolutely nothing prior to being granted that license (with no merits whatsoever). By contrast DB didn't need them for anything at all.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:19 pm

Jord wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:46 pm
It probably is in certain Asian countries where Christianity is a relatively minor religion.
Yeah, I don't think that's all that incorrect a take, really. China is a VERY big place and there's a lot of people there more into Dragonball than Christianity.

It's a really nutty comparison to make, but I don't think it's necessarily incorrect.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:09 pm

Don't think anything could be bigger than Christianity in the western world, especially if the likes of the late Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins still haven't succeeded at pushing atheism as the more rational worldview.

Also everyone knows who Jesus Christ was, the same can't be said for Akira Toriyama or Goku.

Asia may be different though. I'd assume Christianity is not as popular as native alternatives like Hinduism, Buddhism or Judaism.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:55 am

Here is one, DBS Anime Goku isn't worse that DB/DBZ Goku in anyway at all. DBS Goku the same as DB/DBZ, there is no difference.
I have seen people mention that before.
There are plent of evidence that isn't true at all.

Goten and Trunks don't fight or train because of Japan law. There is no blood in DBS Anime due to Japan law.
Those are obviously not true at all.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:02 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:55 am Here is one, DBS Anime Goku isn't worse that DB/DBZ Goku in anyway at all. DBS Goku the same as DB/DBZ, there is no difference.
On a similar note to this:
"But this is the Goku Toriyama always envisioned, so he's the best version by default!"

Yeah, no.
Super!Goku is a caricature rather than an actual character, and if you tell me this is what Toriyama wanted all along, my reaction will rather be, "Then Toriyama sucks as a writer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:15 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:02 pm
super michael wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:55 am Here is one, DBS Anime Goku isn't worse that DB/DBZ Goku in anyway at all. DBS Goku the same as DB/DBZ, there is no difference.
On a similar note to this:
"But this is the Goku Toriyama always envisioned, so he's the best version by default!"

Yeah, no.
Super!Goku is a caricature rather than an actual character, and if you tell me this is what Toriyama wanted all along, my reaction will rather be, "Then Toriyama sucks as a writer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
I am submitting my agreement with this sentiment.

My general hot-take is that of all the thousands of different creative-types to work on Dragon Ball as a franchise, Toriyama Akira is indeed not the most skilled of them, and his position as creator should highlight his weaknesses as a writer, not just his strengths.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:52 pm

That's something I would like to discover, what made people decided to consider Super's Goku a Homer Simpson 2.0? I'm not talking about what they think about him, it's a character from a child's comic and cartoon, I personally don't see the point of discussing it
I'm talking about when exactly they decided to consider Super's Goku a dumbass and that he doesn't look like DBZ/DB Goku (and even GT Goku some times)
Because I swear to god, I didn't saw these people way back in 2019, 2020, 2021, early 2022...If I remember I started to see them right after the Super Hero movie came out, and then in 2023 it exploded, I'm not saying that before 2022 there weren't people talking about this, but it was definitely in 2023 where it spread wildly, since then I see everyone talking about tirelessly, when I used to be more active in social media (which lasted until mid to end of 2023) I literally saw it daily.

What happened? A famous Youtuber made a video talking about the subject? Toriyama or someone made a interview and said something that angered the fans?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:18 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:52 pm That's something I would like to discover, what made people decided to consider Super's Goku a Homer Simpson 2.0? I'm not talking about what they think about him, it's a character from a child's comic and cartoon, I personally don't see the point of discussing it
I'm talking about when exactly they decided to consider Super's Goku a dumbass and that he doesn't look like DBZ/DB Goku (and even GT Goku some times)
Because I swear to god, I didn't saw these people way back in 2019, 2020, 2021, early 2022...If I remember I started to see them right after the Super Hero movie came out, and then in 2023 it exploded, I'm not saying that before 2022 there weren't people talking about this, but it was definitely in 2023 where it spread wildly, since then I see everyone talking about tirelessly, when I used to be more active in social media (which lasted until mid to end of 2023) I literally saw it daily.

What happened? A famous Youtuber made a video talking about the subject? Toriyama or someone made a interview and said something that angered the fans?
I can't speak for everybody, but Super!Goku has always rubbed me the wrong way.

From the very second episode of Super, where he callously destroys Kaio's planet, repeatedly, using it as his personal training ground against Kaio's consent, while Kaio yells at him about every single thing he's done to ruin his life, and Goku's response to all of it is just smiling like an oblivious idiot and demanding that Kaio make his lunch.

It's very much not a recent thing, I very much recall people siding with Bergamo when his episode aired and saying Super!Goku was the real villain of the show, all the way back in 2018.