Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 102 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 102 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:27 am

Meh, filler chapter, I think Gohan vs Goten & Trunks could've been better, I really liked to see them using the zanzoken but that's pretty much it, I don't like their attacks in duo and I don't even see Fat Gotenks as a joke anymore but straight trolling. The canonization of the "Ultimate" name was cool though, but what I really expected was a buildup for the next adventure or possible new Tournament, I think 101 gave me too many hopes, this chapter made me somehow feel that I'm still stuck in the run of the Super Hero retelling.

I'm not exactly hyped for Beast vs UI so I don't expect much of it, I hope they at least reveal new techniques for Gohan Beast at least, excluding the appearance I personally think this form is very bland.

Also, talking about the appearance, Toyotaro's art in this chapter is good but wtf happened to Gohan Beast's design? Isn't he supposed to have the same eye design as UI Goku? He's drawn with these new eyes in all panels so it's definitely on purpose, now he indeed just looks like SSJ2 with bigger hair :(
Super Saiyajin 10 Poder Prohibido Officialized let's go! jokes aside, I like your concept for the transformation, I think it could open the doors for a fun saga exploring this lost ancient Saiyajin race, but I don't see it happening.
I'm not a fan of the canonization of the SSJ4 though, at least not as a form for everyone, I would like to see it saved to be a form exclusive to Broly.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:28 pm

Toyotaro just forgot to draw the pupils. And drew his hair shorter.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:44 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:41 pm One thing I find interesting about this chapter is that this is the first time since Battle of Gods that 6 Saiyans from Universe #7 have reunited. Now anyone of them could perform the Super Saiyan God ritual if they want.
Would be interesting if they decide to try it on Broly.
Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:12 pm Can we discuss Gohan's Beast form further? In my opinion, this form may have some side effects.
We do not know the exact origin of this form. Does it come from his Saiyan heritage or is it an evolution from his Mystic form? If it is a power unlocked by the Elder Kai, why doesn't he have god ki?
Ultimate doesn't gave god ki either, if Beast is an evolution of Ultimate then there's no reason for it to have god ki.
OLKv3 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:28 pm Toyotaro just forgot to draw the pupils. And drew his hair shorter.
Would be weird if he just forgot, because last chapter it had pupils, but then in this one it doesn't have pupils in every panel Gohan is in.

Assuming it's not a mistake, maybe it's a deliberate design change?

Saw suggestions in the strength threat that maybe the design changes are an indication Gohan isn't going full power, but I dunno about that...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:59 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:28 pm Toyotaro just forgot to draw the pupils. And drew his hair shorter.
No he didn't, as I said it's in all panels with Gohan Beast, Toyotaro as an artist is destined to make mistakes in at least some of his drawings, in every chapter we'l always see at least one drawing or painting error, in this one I even noticed two (one side of Gohan's wristband and a part of Goku's underclothes appear discolored once), but now a continuous design error is impossible to happen unless you are offered the wrong character basis / references, in the case of Gohan Beast they already have the design reference for a long time, and as Lukmendes said, literally in the previous chapter Toyotaro drew him "correctly".
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:35 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:59 pm No he didn't, as I said it's in all panels with Gohan Beast, Toyotaro as an artist is destined to make mistakes in at least some of his drawings, in every chapter we'l always see at least one drawing or painting error, in this one I even noticed two (one side of Gohan's wristband and a part of Goku's underclothes appear discolored once), but now a continuous design error is impossible to happen unless you are offered the wrong character basis / references, in the case of Gohan Beast they already have the design reference for a long time, and as Lukmendes said, literally in the previous chapter Toyotaro drew him "correctly".
It's worth keeping in mind that in Super Hero, Gohan transformed when he was pissed at seeing Piccolo beaten up, and in 101, he was pissed at seeing Carmine.

In 102, he seemed to concentrate into the transformation, much like Vegeta more or less did when going SSG in Broly.

Maybe the different circumstances of the transformation change some stuff about Beast? It would at least line up with its name at least, since it was talked about "the wild beast within awakened" or something like that. It could be a weird case where Gohan's emotions affect the way the transformation looks a bit. Maybe even change how strong he gets from it... Which could get really lazy by making Gohan lose a battle because he was 80% angry but then win because he was 81% lol.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm

Toyotaro just forgot to draw Gohan’s pupils.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:09 pm

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:32 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm Toyotaro just forgot to draw Gohan’s pupils.
Hah, that's what I get for overthinking, oh well :lol:.

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:45 pm

Alkiser wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:58 pm
Miracles wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:55 pm
Gashaponista wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:23 pm

Toriyama is focused on Sandland and Daima, he has no idea that the manga is still running.
Everything you can enjoy in these pages is pure genius from Toyo and Uchida.
I doubt this heavily, Toriyama is not involved in the DBS manga right now.
Literally Toyotaro in a recent interview from January says that Toriyama is heavily involved in the manga while revealing the process of its creation.
That's what they will always say to try to retain a portion of the public. But only the arcs that advertise with Toriyama's name in giant were written by him.
This is another aimless filler arc that will have to be adjusted in the future to work with the next story actually written by Tori.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:24 am

Gashaponista wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:45 pm
Miracles wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:55 pm
I doubt this heavily, Toriyama is not involved in the DBS manga right now.
Literally Toyotaro in a recent interview from January says that Toriyama is heavily involved in the manga while revealing the process of its creation.
That's what they will always say to try to retain a portion of the public. But only the arcs that advertise with Toriyama's name in giant were written by him.
This is another aimless filler arc that will have to be adjusted in the future to work with the next story actually written by Tori.
The entire current SH arc is by Toriyama especially it was evident with the movie promotion. He even drew Goten and Trunks in their super hero costumes for the prequel and he also designed Goten and Trunks' favorite super hero that is Clean God.

In the Granolah story

- he came up with the idea of creating a gang of heeters
- It was he who came up with the idea for the new set of dragon balls
- Toriyama specified while working on the story that Cerealians are not warriors but are interested in the military
- He personally approved Toyotaro's ideas such as the presence of Bardock and the concept of Ultra Ego

So yes Toriyama is heavily involved in the DBS manga

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:31 am

Alkiser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:24 am

The entire current SH arc is by Toriyama especially it was evident with the movie promotion. He even drew Goten and Trunks in their super hero costumes for the prequel and he also designed Goten and Trunks' favorite super hero that is Clean God.

In the Granolah story

- Toriyama specified while working on the story that Cerealians are not warriors but are interested in the military
- He personally approved Toyotaro's ideas such as the presence of Bardock and the concept of Ultra Ego

Thanks for listing those items that we all know, it really doesn't look very different from the small contributions that Toriyama made during the 90s for Toei's non-canon films.
That doesn't imply any real involvement in these Toyo-filler-arcs.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:46 am

Gashaponista wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:31 am

In the Granolah story

Thanks for listing those items that we all know, it really doesn't look very different from the small contributions that Toriyama made during the 90s for Toei's non-canon films.
I recommend reading the definition of a filler, and yes it differs because for Toriyama's movies he did not write the skeleton of the plot like for Koyama's movies. Toriyama also did not review the movies and approve things that should or should not be in them like he does with Toyotaro's manga. Toriyama also did not participate in meetings about what these movies should be about as he does with DBS stories. Toriyama also drew more character designs for the entire Super brand than he did for the Koyama movies of the 1990s.

Your whole comment is pure ignorance and answering reality to yourself.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:35 am

Pretty cool chapter.

I like seeing the teens be more involved, not just there as background but actually having to show themselves in front of Beerus and everybody, and yeah naming Gohan's ultimate form. Bye bye Mystic Gohan. Funny Gohan had no name for his own form, but the kids did.
Also, Trunks with that bandana around his neck looks a lot like GT Trunks. Love it.

Broly being unconfortable with every single saiyan being able to turn SS at will was nice.

Fat Gotenks was ok, didn't outstay his welcome, but I was actually hoping Geets would've defused them with a stern look.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:42 am

> Chapter is called "Gohan vs Goku"
> Fans are excited to see Gohan vs Goku especially after a 12 month movie recap no one asked for.
> Actually half the chapter is Gohan vs Goten and Trunks
> All so we can have another Fat Gotenks """gag"""
> Gohan vs Goku only lasts for 5 pages out of a 45 page chapter
> Now fans have to wait another month for the rest of the fight

I actually think all parties involved in the DBS manga rack their brains as to how they can make the series as frustrating as possible to read. Because Toyotarou, Toriyama and Uchida have it down to a science at this point

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:43 am

It makes a shocking amount of sense that in universe, the term "Ultimate Gohan" was just randomly made up by Goten and Trunks because it sounded cool. Also a couple of neat allusions here, like the parallel to the alternate Trunks timeline or the pre-match bow taught to Goku by none other than Gohan's namesake. Small stuff, but at least it feels in tune.

I didn't really care for this chapter otherwise. Lots of bloated filler and recycled gags, lots of pandering to the power scaling crowd just to show off a bunch of obvious shit we already know. Look, there's a reason Super Hero off-screened most of the Goku vs. Vegeta fight. 50+ pages of pointless sparring does not a Toriyama-crafted DB make.

Toyo my boyo, get to the premise of the next arc or at least conclude the manga if there's no story left to tell. This is aimless and tacked on.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:49 am

This was an exciting chapter. Its good to that see Goten and Trunks have gotten stronger. It looks like Gohan considers SS to be useful now in the story right after Toriyama reasserted it and it's also a surprise that they're finally calling Gohan's Potential Unleash state " Ultimate " like how it is in the promotional material since fans were calling it Mystic Gohan for years, but now its officially Ultimate Gohan in the media. Gohan's transformation sequence of Beast and his clashes with UI Goku were pretty cool. Though it was jarring to me that Toyotaro forgot to draw the pupils, but it's understandable because of the schedule that art errors like these happen all the time. Anyways, I'm excited for the next chapter. I'm curious if Gohan and Goku will show off new moves.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:10 pm

Did Goku forget his son can already go SS2? :lol:

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:32 pm

This chapter reinforced my belief that Goten and Trunks were never fit for the tournament of power, Gohan was embracing them as a basic SSJ getting along with all two. And when it came down to it, they messed up again with fusion and that would be the end of their performance that a fat man would get knocked out by some Catopesra.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:41 pm

-42 points for the same dumb fat joke all over again. Totes sucked the life out of the room.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:53 pm

Alkiser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:46 am
Gashaponista wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:31 am

In the Granolah story

I recommend reading the definition of a filler, and yes it differs because for Toriyama's movies he did not write the skeleton of the plot like for Koyama's movies. Toriyama also did not review the movies and approve things that should or should not be in them like he does with Toyotaro's manga. Toriyama also did not participate in meetings about what these movies should be about as he does with DBS stories. Toriyama also drew more character designs for the entire Super brand than he did for the Koyama movies of the 1990s.

Your whole comment is pure ignorance and answering reality to yourself.
If you don't like the term "filler", I invite you to name these post Chikara no Taikai sidestories (written by Toyotaro and Uchida) whatever you want.
I will not continue the topic, I'll simply wait for the next movie written by Toriyama in which he will once again ignore Black Frieza, Vegeta's Wagamama no Gokui and will show Goku seeing Son Gohan Beast for the first time, forcing Toyo to do an amnesiac and even more stupid Goku on his manga adaptation.