Super Saiyan 3

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Super Saiyan 3

Post by Kappa » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:48 pm

I really like Super Saiyan 3. It's one of my favorite forms and I think it should have been the "final saiyan transformation".

What do you guys think?

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Saiyan 3

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:13 pm

There's so much to like about this form in spite of its negative reputation. I've said before that I love its awesomely over-the-top design, but I've also come to like how it's revealed for two reasons:

1. Toriyama manages to introduce a new Super Saiyan transformation without recycling the same story beat again (Character undergoes an explosion of rage triggered by a traumatic event).

2. The reveal manages to have narrative meaning despite appearing to be nothing more than a "look at this cool thing moment" meant to stall for time at first glance.

Specifically, this is preceded by the scene where Goku tries to teach Fusion to Goten and Trunks and they call him out for failing to save the day despite his reputation. Goku doesn't defend himself in the moment, but Super Saiyan 3 is ultimately what gets these young, skeptical representatives of the next generation to understand why their parents and older siblings think Son Goku is such a big deal; and as a result, he quickly earns their respect and willingness learn from him.

I also like how it parallels Roshi's Kamehemha reveal early in the series. Much like how that was Roshi's "I actually am as awesome as you've heard" moment, this is Goku's for Trunks and Goten. Using it this way also continues the trend Toriyama started in the Cell arc of putting Goku in a mentor role, culminating in him taking on his first student and becoming a martial arts master in his own right at the end of the series.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:44 pm

I like this transformation because of its introduction scene and the Dragon Fist, but that's pretty much it
I'm really not a fan of the design and has to be my least favorite transformation visual, I don't like how everyone have the same length banana bunch hair in this form, I like how in SSJ1 and SSJ2 even though everyone have the same faces, each one gets a different hair design, in SSJ3 everyone looks the same except for the bangs.
I'm also not a fan of the lack of eyebrows (yes, I would've preferred if Vegeta's Ultra Ego was a purple recolor of his SSJGod form but with muscles, just as Goku's UI is a black/white recolor of his SSJ God form but with muscles)

I already don't like how this form makes everyone look the same, but Gotenks specially looks really ugly imo.
I personally think it would've been better if this was the transformation for a villain, Black used it in that Fake Universe saga from Heroes and it looked really cool imo. I think it would cool be as the design for Yamoshi too.

Other than that, I think SSJ2 could've been easily the strongest form to be used in the Boo Saga.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:26 pm

Honestly, other than Super Saiyan 4 it's probably the most original transformation we've ever had. As stated it doesn't regurgitate the original Super Saiyan transformation, the loss of eyebrows also gives it a distinctive aesthetic, although I guess it was to make the user look like he is gradually reverting back to an Oozaru.

I can see how it may be seen as a plot device to make Vegeta hate Goku more for feeling like Goku was holding back in their battle, although considering it takes such a toll on the body and Goku only had so much time on Earth he had good reason not to use it. I kinda like Geekdom101's theory that Vegeta did at some point attain the form but he learned the hard way it was not worth it because of how much energy it drains. It makes a lot of sense, as I always felt the 15 years that passed between the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai and the beginning of GT should have been enough time for Vegeta to become a Super Saiyan 3.

Part of me also wishes Gotenks wasn't given this form though, as I feel that cheapened it, to a lesser extent than the first two Super Saiyan transformations but still there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:37 pm

I love SS3 and have never understood the hate for it.

To me it represents the culmination of Goku's years of training and dedication. It wasn't achieved out of anger, or a potential unlock, but through sheer hard work. This makes it feel earned.

Fans often call both SS3 and Fusion a "waste", just because they didn't "get the win". But they overlook the fact that both were able to buy the precious time needed for everyone to ultimately survive. Without SS3 Goku may have been killed by Fat Buu, which would mean the earth would be doomed then and there. Same with Gotenks and Super Buu.

Aside from that I really like the long hair, lack of eyebrows, and deepened voice. It all combines to make the form feel powerful and intimidating. None of the newer forms compare to it (although SS4 was awesome in its own right).

Also I love how instead of Goku achieving the form onscreen, he does it offscreen and keeps it as this secret weapon. The fact that he's so mysterious about it, and hesitant to use it really gives it this sense of danger/mystique.

And I love how Goku tries to play down how awesome the form is, just so the boys will learn Fusion instead. If it were Vegeta he'd be boasting about the form, and showing it off at the first opportunity.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:03 am

I love super saiyan 3 buuuut it's an absolutely terrible transformation for more than 1 person to share design-wise. It gives anyone who has it the exact same hair and face, maybe give or take 1 bang. I can see why it was never given to Gohan or Vegeta.

I also much prefer the design with the halo like when Goku first uses it. I would have loved for that to be a part of the aesthetic. Love the angelic aspect combined with the monstrous aspect.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:11 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:37 pm I love SS3 and have never understood the hate for it.
In my experience I haven't heard so many complaints about it being a waste, but it tends to be fans that love Vegeta who sympathize with him, as Vegeta felt that he was cheated out of a good fight when he learned Goku knew the transformation all along but didn't use it against him. The other argument I see thrown around is that Super Saiyan 3 was an "asspull" because there was no build-up for it, and it seemed to be something Toriyama just came up with on the fly. Conversely, I agree with your reasons for why it being a surprise was more of a help than a hindrance, it was also a wise decision for Goku to hold it back until shortly before his time on Earth was up because, as you say, teaching Goten and Trunks the fusion technique had to take priority. Come to think of it an argument could be made that it showed Goku had somewhat matured by the Buu arc by knowing how to use his limited time effectively, shame Super reversed this.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:40 am

Loved Super Saiyan 3's design ever since I first caught glimpses of it as action figures and promo art. It's just cool. But it's also kinda fucking silly. An insane exaggeration of what Super Saiyan's design already does. Yet, it's still just cool. I like that it aesthetically manages to straddle that line.

Also narratively fun in a twofold way. It swerves the built-up trope of "new form saves day", but also is revealed in one of many character defining moments for Goku as someone who just loves him a good fight, even if it's risky as hell. It re-contextualizes him as having held back against Vegeta (and together with him having been smiling during that fight, makes it seem like this holding back was so he could have said fight). There's also the fact that he could have simply teleported to Bulma's house to grab the Dragon Radar, but instead has Trunks fly to get it while he now uses the form to play with Boo a little. Bruce AraLee at his finest, and I love him for it.
Majin Buu wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:13 pmI also like how it parallels Roshi's Kamehemha reveal early in the series. Much like how that was Roshi's "I actually am as awesome as you've heard" moment, this is Goku's for Trunks and Goten. Using it this way also continues the trend Toriyama started in the Cell arc of putting Goku in a mentor role, culminating in him taking on his first student and becoming a martial arts master in his own right at the end of the series.
Never thought of comparing this to Roshi's first Kamehameha. I like that.