Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:35 pm

Damn....may he rest in peace

I need to finish reading Dr. Slump and well...it will feel bitter sweet when completing it.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:36 pm

I was shocked when I saw the news. It saddens me that he passed away. He truly left his mark on manga and anime like no other. His legacy will live on forever.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Vegetto95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegetto95 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:36 pm

Goddamn, this hit me like a truck of bricks. Legitimately was NOT prepared for this news tonight. We've lost an absolute legend, ladies and gentlemen.

Toriyama, you'll be deeply missed by us all. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for creating so many great stories and characters that have brought so many people together from all across the world. We'll never forget you!!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:37 pm

It happened on the 1st day of this month and we just found out now? Sorry, but I don't know what to say, this guy means everything to this franchise, without him we wouldn't have any of that.

Damn, I'm so sad. I really wish that was some bad joke, but it's actually real...

Rest In Peace, Master Toriyama.

Thanks for everything.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:37 pm

For a split second, I honestly thought this was another rumor/false headline, as there've been a few untrue "Toriyama has passed away" news stories/rumors in the past.

But... seems like this is it for real this time. I'm at a total loss for words. 68 is still way too soon. He's only a few months older than my parents (who are both still alive and well).

Manga just lost one of its all timers.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:37 pm

My heart hurts.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:38 pm

I legitimately don't know how to react to this, I really think I'm going to need at least a day for myself because I just wasn't prepared for it, for now, just, rest in peace and thanks for everything, legend.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Salt-sensei

Post by Salt-sensei » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:39 pm

A friend texted me about this a couple of minutes ago and at first I didn't want to believe it. "We get these kind of 'news' almost every year," I thought... I was not expecting it to be real, but damn, seeing this I cannot deny it.

I have nothing but respect for Toriyama-sensei and his works, they helped me through a lot of rough times... May he rest in peace and may his family and friends find peace.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:39 pm

I can't believe Akira Toriyama is fucking dead. I know that's a meme sentence, but it's 4:30am for me right now and this is so unreal to me that I just... I don't even know how to process this. I genuinely can't believe it. Just like that, he's gone... I'll have to write something more proper in the morning, I think, this is too much.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:40 pm

This absolutely came out of nowhere... how? Just, how did it end up this way?
Not even sure how to process this at the moment.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:40 pm

Surreal. He wasn't young anymore but I expected him to live some 10, 20 years. RIP.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:41 pm

Christ. it seems like the past couple of years a bunch of heavy hitters passed a way.

But this one hurts the most. Akira Toriyama. May he rest in power.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:42 pm

I'm in absolute shock right now, not much I can say, wow.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:42 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:37 pm For a split second, I honestly thought this was another rumor/false headline, as there've been a few untrue "Toriyama has passed away" news stories/rumors in the past.

But... seems like this is it for real this time. I'm at a total loss for words. 68 is still way too soon. He's only a few months older than my parents (who are both still alive and well).

Manga just lost one of its all timers.
Agreed. I just automatically assumed it was fake. But guess I was wrong this time. This one hurts.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:45 pm

Very sudden. Death will come to us all, but Akira's legacy will live on for generations. People will watch his work for years to come. May he rest in peace.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:45 pm

I...i have no words, this is sure a complete shocker to read. Well, what more can be said other than those 68 years of life were fruitful and his career as a mangaka will be enshrined forever in both the manga and anime community. Of all his works, Dr. Slump and especially Dragon Ball will continue to entertain as they have for 40+ years both on page and screen. His career will sit aside such greats (both living and deceased) as Osamu Tezuka, Tatsuo Yoshida and other manga artists over the years that have provided unparalleled entertainment. I mean, he spent 15 years combined writing and grinding away at illustrating manga between the serialized runs of Dr. Slump and Dragon Ball. That's dedication right there, eclipsed only by Eiichiro Oda on One Piece.

RIP, Akira Toriyama-sensei. As hard as this news is to learn as a fan of your work (particularly as a Dragon Ball fan) there is no question of the legacy that you have left to the world of manga and anime. My sincerest sympathies to his family and friends, i can't imagine how difficult it must be for them all over there even days later.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:46 pm

I don't know much about how hematoma feel but I hope Toriyama passed with as little suffering as possible. Much love to all his loved ones and may Toriyama rest in peace
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Gashaponista

Post by Gashaponista » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:48 pm

I'm too sad, trying not to cry at work.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:51 pm

Well fuck.

68 is still pretty young, I don't think any of us could have seen this coming.

Man leaves one hell of a legacy though. Whether you're a fan of the manga or the anime or the video games, the original Japanese version or your home country's dub. All of the series or just one of them, absolutely none of that would be possible without this man. And let's not forget all the works inspired by Dragon Ball.

Rest in Peace.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:53 pm

Wow, I can't believe he's gone. First Miura, then Takahashi, and now Toriyama? It's hard to believe that this day has come. RIP Toriyama. I may have not been a fan of Dragonballs latest works, but there is no one I'd want more at the wheel of this franchise than him :(