Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TonyTheTiger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by TonyTheTiger » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:18 am

Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:15 am I'm still having trouble processing this. This came completely out of left field. It's the first I've heard of him even suffering from an ailment.

Rest in Peace. :cry:
Acute subdural hematoma sounds like it might have been caused by an accident rather than disease. Some kind of head trauma. Obviously that's just speculation.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:19 am

If it weren't for Toriyama and Dragon Ball it's possible I never would have gotten into anime. Thank you so much for what you've given me.

Rest in peace.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 am

Man just saw the news on YouTube. Rest In Peace Akira Toriyama 😥😥. Thanks for making my childhood amazing with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:22 am

Learnt to draw with Dragon Ball.

Met my best friend because he had a Dragon Ball pencil case.

Got into anime with Dragon Ball.

Made so many friends through this Dragon Ball forum.

Launched a career thanks to Dragon Ball.

Travelled across the world for Dragon Ball.

The way Akira Toriyama's work has fundamentally shaped my life is hard to even reconcile.

We've truly lost one of the all-time greats. Rest in peace.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:22 am

Unbelievable. I hope his family finds peace, whatever was the cause. This is a huge loss for our community. A legendary worker and artist. We will forever miss you. Dragon Ball will never be the same :(

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:25 am

TonyTheTiger wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:18 am
Valerius Dover wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:15 am I'm still having trouble processing this. This came completely out of left field. It's the first I've heard of him even suffering from an ailment.

Rest in Peace. :cry:
Acute subdural hematoma sounds like it might have been caused by an accident rather than disease. Some kind of head trauma. Obviously that's just speculation.
That's even worse than I thought. Head injuries at that age, I don't even wanna begin to imagine.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:25 am

Heard the news on a meme website. Didn't believe it. Checked it out anyway. And its real...

Well... This hurts. I might not have known the man in person, but his influence through his work in my childhood (and beyond) was great.

It feels like the death of something in my life.

Had to log back here.

Thanks for everything, Toriyama. Truly.

CodeOfMe

Post by CodeOfMe » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:33 am

Uh, what the hell? I actually, genuinely, have no idea how to respond to this. It's so unexpected, I'm in shock, it just feels so... sudden, I hadn't even considered the possibility of him dying anytime soon, especially with Daima on the horizon, which seemed to be something he had lots of involvement in, I literally can't think of what to say, this is so sad, well, I'm at least glad that he died knowing his work had made many people over the world happy, that's something, but still, this is so unfortunate, thoughts and prayers for his family and all that, I'm still in shock at this.
Go over time and space...

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:34 am

ZeroIsOurHero wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:27 pm Holy. Shit. This is almost unbelievable. The instant I saw it on Reddit, I knew I had to rush over here.
Same. I saw it on GAF and immediately came here to post my respects.

This man's work was all I could think about for at least six years of my teen years. Literally. I was only thinking about Dragon Ball, and when I wasn't thinking about it, I was drawing it. Fuck me. This is how my dad felt when Elvis passed away?

My art style was severely influenced by his. My action scenes, my sense of epic battles, of comradery. He made two characters which I consider two of the best characters in animation - Krillin and Frieza.

Rest in peace, good sir. Thank you for the memories, thank you for everything you've done. For giving me something to love and believe in for years when I was a teen, for inspiring me artistically, for then ten years, for everything.

God bless you. I am proud to have lived in the same era with titans like you and Hidetaka Miyazaki.

Good journey, and may the Cosmos' kintoen fly your soul all around the world whose people you've inspired so much.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:37 am

This was probably the most shocking news I've seen all week. To hear that someone as influential in my lifetime as Toriyama passing on this soon is shocking, especially given that he is 68 (not a very old age) and still very much active in his career, if Daima and the Super manga is any indicator.

RIP Akira Toriyama.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:42 am

It shows how wide reaching Dragon Ball is that I first learned Toriyama died not here, but via the Dead Malls of Discord, a place totally unrelated to DB.

Man, I have family who are 68.

I hope it was quick. I hope it didn't hurt. Acute subdural hematoma. So he hit his head hard enough to cause internal bleeding? I know people I can ask about this, but it's late at night where I am. I'll ask about it tomorrow.

DB was not my first anime/manga, but it was the one that had the biggest impact on me.

My condolences to Toriyama's family and friends. RIP.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:43 am

It's unsettling to be reminded yet again that you can be healthy and (relatively) young and still die just because you seemingly-randomly bumped your head one day (at least, I'm assuming that's why a healthy-looking sexagenarian died of a hematoma).

RIP. It's a shame he never got to see the conclusion of his latest project, or see his family in old age, but his impact in those 68 years he had on Earth was about the best any lifelong comic artist could possibly hope for. His skill at drawing wacky pastiches filled with fight scenes and poop jokes has practically immortalized him.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:49 am

Sitting here after hearing this and silently holding back the tears... This hurts greatly.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:52 am

To just go all of a sudden like that, right when he's working on a new project...just awful. It wasn't his time.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:52 am

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama. Thank you for your impact on my life and the lives of millions of others. Thank you for the smiles.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:55 am

Saw the news via Reddit. Absolutely devastated...

Dragon Ball has been a part of my life since 1999. I still remember kids at school talking about it, then finally choosing to watch it and see what it's all about. 25 years later, I can still say that I'm a Dragon Ball fan. I love this series so much.

Sad that we'll never see anything new from Toriyama now, but he gave us so much over his 68 years. There's no doubt that he left much more than just a mark on the world. He is a legend among legends and he and his stories and characters will never be forgotten.

Thank you for everything Toriyama-sensei. May you rest in peace knowing that you gave happiness to millions of lives all around the world through Dragon Ball and your other stories.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:56 am

I'm devastated. It's the first time the death of someone who I never met impacts me this much. It's like something was taken from me.
We are never prepared for this moments. Even less when it's all of sudden. He was not even that old.

Dragon Ball was been part of my life since I remember and it was always been my favourite franchise.
Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama-sensei. And thanks for making mine and many people childhoods around the world so special.

I will never forget those days that I would go running from school to home to watch the new episode.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:58 am

I still can't believe it. His work was always on my mind every single day. Since I was a kid, through the drought, and the current era it never left my head. I have not stopped crying since I heard the news. I feel a huge gentle comfort has just been ripped away all the sudden. I haven't posted a thing here in a couple years but I felt it the best place to mourn and say goodbye to the man who brought us all so much joy.

Rest in peace Mr. Toriyama. Whether the series goes on or not I hope you had fun bringing smiles to children and adults alike over your legendary career.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:58 am

This is the only time the death of someone unrelated to me affects me like this, I am crying...

The Dragon Ball franchise has been my absolute favorite of all time since I was a kid and it still is and always will be.

Rest in peace legend and thank you for everything.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:02 am

He had a lot more to give, and I owe him a lot.

RIP Toriyama