Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:10 am

I'm sorry beyond words that he is gone. But I'm grateful beyond words that he was here.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:16 am

Haven't been on here in years, but had to return for this.

I was instantly sent back to my childhood watching Dragon Ball Z with my brother when I heard this news. Dragon Ball Z meant everything to us as kids, we worshipped it. Every single day I would record Dragon Ball Z on VHS, and me and my brother would watch it during every school break. Christmas, Easter, Summer, we would rewatch as much as we could before going back to school and it created the strongest bond between us. It was such a big deal in our lives that we would skip school and watch Dragon Ball on a German tv channel. We couldn't understand a word of it, but we didn't care because we loved Dragon Ball so much.

This man was responsible for that. He created something that brought nothing but happiness to our lives that I will forever be grateful for.
RIP to the man that shaped a large part of my life.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:26 am

I can’t believe it. The man who had captured the hearts of millions of children and inspired a generation of artists has died…
I speak for myself and most of us here when I say: he had a profound impact on our lives through his work in Dragon Ball, and will continue to do so long after his passing. This is his legacy.

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san. You will not be forgotten.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:37 am

Rest in peace. I know many including myself would have been just a bit lonelier without having interacted with his art. An incredible manga artist, comedy writer, and character designer...his death is so sudden and I wish the best for his family.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:43 am

Sudden and tragic. Too many super inflential mangaka dying too young. Toriyama was older than the last two major ones (Takahashi and Miura) but it still stings.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:47 am

Awful. Way too young. I'm completely shocked right now. There hasn't been a day in 25 years that has gone by and I haven't thought of his work.

RIP and thank you for everything.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:51 am

I wanna listen to The Biggest Fight or We Gotta Power but I’m probably gonna burst into tears.

FOR LIFE BABY!! Salute Toriyama Sensei!! 🐉🐲🫡🫡
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Modern_Dingus

Post by Modern_Dingus » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:55 am

This is one of those things that I think kinda changes how you see the world. If you've never been a fan of his material you might now care, but his fans are some of the most dedicated and just knowing that he's not around anymore just completely changes how I see the world. Everything's going to feel different now, how we watch the show, read the manga, play the games. Devastating.
Are you a fan of Xenoverse 2? Want to help spread awareness of other races utility? Check this out!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46756

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:02 am

We are so fortunate to have gotten all the content we got from him these last few years. Toriyama could have ridden off into the sunset decades ago. But during what should have been his retirement, he penned four movies, produced/supervised Dragon Ball Super across two mediums, worked on Dragon Ball Daima, and gave us countless designs across games and projects. He may even have unproduced ideas at Toho that we'll be seeing for years to come. What a truly hardworking and influential mangaka.

I pray that he is in heaven surrounded by his beloved pets from over the years (including the cat he based Korin/Karin on).
Last edited by Peach on Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:08 am

I haven't posted here in years but had to come to this board the second I heard this horrible news. RIP to a legend, he will missed :(

VSVoidSpartan

Post by VSVoidSpartan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:19 am

This really hit me hard... I'm seriously at a lost for words. I was not ready to hear the news of his passing, at all.

He created my childhood, and I owe him a lot for that.

Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama. Thank you for everything.
"WHOOOOPIE! A SUSHINCHU!"
- RPN Goten

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:34 am

What utterly unfortunate news. Definitely going to echo previously stated sentiments that 68 years is still way too young, and completely unexpected. Akira Toriyama was, in my opinion, one of the most creative and hardest working artists of our time. I would certainly be hard pressed to name someone who has made as many enduring works; the fact that he spent a decade uninterrupted working on a flagship franchise such as Dragon Ball is herculean enough (to say nothing of the additional work he did for TOEI for the anime/movies/etc.), but to have another blockbuster series in the form of Dr. Slump? On top of that, to have a bevy of video game accomplishments, mostly notably creating art for Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest (which, lets be real, are probably two of the top ten franchises that comes to mind when one hears the word "RPG", in video games spaces, at least)? And a myriad of literally dozens of side projects and one-offs on top of that?

While I've been enamored by the creativity, humor and action of Dragon Ball, I've also been equally inspired by the intensity of Toriyama's impressive work ethic. He definitely demonstrated the tireless resolve and fierce determination of his signature character, Goku, just with a pen instead of his fists.

May he rest in peace.

Last edited by Deep Thought on Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:36 am

First reaction: What. The. Bloody. Hell...??!!? I'm speechless. He has been working SO hard lately. I really hope his soul goes where it should.

Now that an hour has passed I have a bit more constructive post to make:
I woke up to this. First I couldn't believe it. Then I felt shock. Then I thought "NO, NO,NO, THIS CAN'T BE REAL!" Then I felt sorrow and cried a lot. Now I feel sorry and chaos. Dragon Ball has been a very important part of my life since I was 5-6, I am not 41. RIP Akira Toriyama-san. If I could, I would have flown out to Japan and been in your funeral. I really would.
Last edited by sangofe on Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:45 am

I genuinely don't have words. I'm in shock.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:48 am

It hasn't sunken in for me just yet, it doesn't feel real. Growing up watching DB and reading the manga as an early teen sparked my interest in becoming an animator/storyboard artist. I owe my livelihood to his work, he's truly an inspiration.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:52 am

Not many deaths get me to shed tears, this is one of those exceptions with Robin Williams and Chadwick Boseman. I’m legit tearing up right now as I head into work, and my heart is genuinely in pieces.

I’m just glad that he was able to come back to the series back in 2013 like he did, and helped remind me why I love this franchise.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:00 am

I want to imagine that he is happily sharing jokes with king Kai in the afterlife, and I could really use some of those jokes right now, because like many of you I'm actually crying in real life at this time.

It's an overused phrase when it comes to people you don't know in person, but he will be missed.

Tenshinhan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenshinhan-san » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:01 am

Just found out about this an hour ago and it really shook me up.

Even 25 years after being introduced to it, DragonBall remains my favorite thing in fiction ever.

RIP Toriyama-san and thanks for brightening up my life with your work.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:07 am

Rest in Peace to a legend. Without his imagination the world would be a much sadder place.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Shiningboltsurge

Post by Shiningboltsurge » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:23 am

I immediately just turned off my phone and just thought I hallucinated the whole thing or that it was a hoax but it’s but apparently it’s fucking real God just why :sick: