Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:26 am

Rest in peace, you beautiful genius of a human being. I'm so heavily inspired by all of his work and I strive to have even a fraction of his talent.

I'm imagining Tori-Bot smoking a cigarette on Snake Way. Thank you for everything.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:30 am

His work changed my life.

Riposa in pace.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Snow_Lilies

Post by Snow_Lilies » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:31 am

Long-time lurker around here. Came in during the 90s with Season 1 and 2 and have been on this wild ride ever since. Playing Dragonball music right now and the tears won't stop.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:34 am

Here to pay my respects, though I don't feel like my brain has done it's job and made it real yet.
Thanks for giving so much, Toriyama. Your work touched and changed me more than even I'll probably ever know. It's shocking that your time here was cut so short, but you did an unthinkable amount with that time. Inspirational.
Rest easy.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:46 am

RIP Toriyama-Sensei
Truly a Legend...

I hope that You have a good time in Heaven, relaxing on Kaio-sama's Planet and exploring the Otherworld :angel:

Thank You!

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:56 am

R.I.P Toriyama. His work will always be remembered.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:04 am

The news of Akira Toriyama's death hits hard.
Yet another light has vanished from this world, a world which needs and has needed his writings, his drawings and his humor, and not to forget his heavy influence in the manga and anime community.

If there is any consolation, passing away from a subdural hematoma normally means that you lose consciousness and die sleeping.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:07 am

Fuck... when I thought that the horrid last year is over, we deal with some family and life issues and experienced loss ourselves this week on top of that and I went back to rewatching/finishing the show recently, to get into comfort and nostalgia...

Akira Toriyama was a huge influence, role model and inspiration for me as an artist and graphic designer myself.
I have always marveled at his design and story decisions from the artistic/craft point of view and was always excited when he was involved in new works and I am still looking forward to many of them.

Rest in peace, this is super shitty news and I wish his family all the best, as he was a husband and father in the first place.
Reading the official message about him being still in the middle of many works and enthusiastic about it is heartbreaking.
I wish him all the best, riding from this plane on the back of Shenron to face new adventures...
Last edited by MCDaveG on Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:09 am

RIP to the one and only, the man, the myth, the legend. 68 is relatively young in this day and age, but he's contributed so much in his life I think we can all be grateful we had him as long as we did.

Dragon Ball has had such a lasting impact on my life and gotten me through my toughest times. It still is, was and always will be my favourite anime and manga series because it was my introduction to the medium and remains the franchise that has meant the most to me.

I can't see any series ever inspiring me as much as Dragon Ball has, as a kid who loved to draw and enjoyed the simple pleasures of growing up tuning in to Cartoon Network, CNX and Toonami to watch Goku and gang push themselves to their limits to succeed against all odds.

Hopefully he's in a better place now with other legends like Shunsuke Kikuchi, Joji Yanami and Hiromi Tsuru. Thoughts are with all his friends and family.

May TOEI do Toriyama-sensei proud with Daima.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:14 am

It often seems like people pass away when you least expect it. I knew Toriyama was older, but I didn't think he was old enough to go quite so soon.
RIP Akira Toriyama, perhaps we'll all see you again someday.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:15 am

Incredibly sad, he was way too young.

R.I.P. legend.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:16 am

I haven't been here in quite some time, but I think there's a good reason to log in.
My friends and I have been mourning pretty hard since we heard. At first, I thought it was some kinda sick prank till I saw the news had come straight from official accounts. It was so sudden that some of us are still trying to get our heads on straight.

Like so many others, Toriyama is pretty much one of my heroes; an inspiration to me on so many things. I can still crack open any single page of the Dragon Ball manga and instantly become enamored with his wonderful artwork and stellar paneling.

The man was a legend, and the world is now a significantly worse place without him. Dragon Ball may continue without him as a franchise, but it'll never be the same again. There will never be another Akira Toriyama.
But it's at least comforting knowing that so many were touched by his works.

Whether it was a robot poking poop with a stick, a little potato-shaped boy with a tail growing up into a warrior of myth, or just some silent protagonist waking up after noon, his works had a huge effect on my youth and still are something I enjoy and look forward to, to this very day.

Rest in peace, Toriyama. Even though it'll bring a little bit of pain each time I look upon your works from now on, and even though I'll probably witness Daima with a certain sorrow to it... I know in the end, it'll bring me more joy

Thank you for everything, and may your works continue to ignite a spark of inspiration even after your passing.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:41 am

Rest in peace, sensei.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Power Metal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Power Metal » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:47 am

God damn man, I don't know what to say

Rest in power, Toriyama
I do far more lurking than actual posting.

https://www.last.fm/user/AlexPowerMetal

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:48 am

Came to pay my respects

One cannot underestimate the impact this one man had on not just the manga industry, anime industry, but to every artist around the world. My artist phase in my late teen years to early adult years were heavily inspired by his artwork. He created an entire generation that wanted to create the next Dragon Ball or based their careers on Dragon Ball itself. That's not something to scoff at.

Many artists came and went but not many of them had the same status as his. He wasn't Osamu Tezuka or Shotaro Ishinomori, but he was the closest for his era. This iconic pillar of the industry that reached all across the globe and in an era the predated the internet or the mass digital era.

As Dragon Ball fans we had our laughs making fun of his silly quirks, his annoying writing decisions, his frustration against his editors. But we wouldn't all be here without him. Without him we wouldn't have Kanzenshuu and the effect it had on me as a Dragon Ball or as an anime fan or hell, a fan of anything I'm interested at.

And... it wouldn't be the same without him.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:51 am

Also briefly returning to leave my condolences, but just truly lost for words R.I.P good sir :(

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:56 am

Just found out. May he rest in peace.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:56 am

I didn't expect such a news today.

Nobody can capture the essence of DragonBall like it's creator could, for me Toriyama was DragonBall.

Thank you for bringing such a wonderful series into existence.
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:00 am

This was one hell of a thunderbolt.

Mr Toriyama had a lot of mangaka friends/associates who spoke highly of him, and will miss him greatly.

For myself, I found him to be a fantastic artist with a great sense of fantasy, fun and childlike wonder.

Though Dragon Ball may have grown beyond what he had intended/planned its appeal will always be in the youthful zest of its protagonists: Goku, Bulma, Krillin, Master Roshi, Vegeta, all immortal characters through their determination and drive.

Thank you Mr Toriyama for bringing Dragon Ball to the world and making it a better and more enjoyable place for me, and so many others.

May your soul find its way to peace, or the next adventure.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:06 am

He was there before anyone else. He was there before Toei Animation, Masako Nozawa, Hiromi Tsuru and Joji Yanami. He was there before Funimation, Ron Wasserman, Bruce Faulconer,Ocean, Scott Mcneil.

And now he isnt anymore.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: