Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by caejones » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:07 am

So that's what it feels like to have the blood drain for your face while standing, and be stuck motionless for the minute it takes your heart and brain to reboot and make it through their security handshakes.

Way back in 9th grade English, one of our writing assignments was to write a letter to a favorite author. I suck at picking favorite anythings, and none of the "I guess they're cool" candidates were people I could think of anything to say to.
Then it occurred to me... Dragon Ball is a manga, and actually, upon reflection, had an especially meaningful impact on me, when compared to the many other bits of pop culture that shaped my personality. The so, I _finally had one of those frustrating opinion/feelings/reflections writing assignments I knew how to respond to.
It need not be said that Akira Toriyama will be missed. The evidence is plastered far and wide. But I want to say it anyway, to honor that polite, sometimes goofy, sometimes brilliant, sometimes perverted, sometimes wise, most times entertaining and inspiring old foreign artist, who just liked drawing cool and/or funny little pictures, sharing them with the world, then hanging out with his family on well-earned breaks.

I'd like to find some way to spin Kame Sen'nin's dying words to Piccolo into a meaningful farewell, but it's proving particularly challenging. Maybe when the rain stops, those writing powers, which Toriyama-sensei helped train, will assert themselves. Until then, I can only say goodbye, and I'll never forget.
Last edited by caejones on Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:08 am

Hong Kong actor-director Stephen Chow just post this on Instagram story with a mention of Akira Toriyama and the promotional poster drawn by Toriyama for the Japanese release of his movie "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons".

https://www.instagram.com/stories/steph ... pobGk4Nw==
The world is your's.

SSGpotota

Post by SSGpotota » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:32 am

So, this is what it feels like losing someone you love.
It's so unfair, and abrupt.
That man is responsible for many of the happiest and most beloved memories I have...
Dragon Ball has been in my life since I was a kid and I still love it to this day.
I was still waiting every month for the new Super chapter to read, regardless of what was happening in it I was just happy the characters and the world I loved were still moving forward to this day.
Now... what will happen next? Dragon Ball will never be the same without Akira Toriyama, but to end it right now, with the new arc about to start, would be so sad. I hope there are enough plans written down to give this manga a proper end...
That if poor Toyotaro is even willing to continue. He must be absolutely devastated...
This is awful, for real.
Rest in peace and thanks for everything...

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:32 am

Thank you, Akira Toriyama, for bringing such inspiration and joy to the World. My raw excitement and passion for your creation kept me going, and kept me sane throughout my often troubled childhood; you turned a life that what would be mundane and painful, into a wondrous journey. I'll never forget the time I got Dragonball Z Budokai for Christmas - it was the best Christmas ever. I played that game all day every day until my Playstation 2 broke. This is just one example of the many great memories you have made possible. Rest in peace my friend!
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:42 am

He wasn't even that that old, taken from us too early :(

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:47 am

We lost a legend.

I suddenly feel a little guilty for talking shit about his work occasionally, but make no mistake, I have a lot of respect for the man. His work brought endless joy to millions of lives. It was kind of unreal to me to even read the news.

I genuinely have never seen my friends, family and people I follow on social media so unified in celebrating one man's life. I hope his family is doing okay. He will be missed

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:53 am

RIP Akira Toriyama

A man responsible for so many of my happiest memories growing up, and whose stories and characters have informed the very person I am today - he couldn't possibly have known how many like me his work has touched in such an intrinsic way, and I don't generally believe in any kind of afterlife, but if I were to I would hope he could be granted just a feeling of his own impact on others and the positivity he brought.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:56 am

Devastated. Horrible news to wake up to.

Dragon Ball just isn't the same without his touch. It literally couldn't be replicated and it's plain to see in any adaptation/spin-off without his involvement.

Complete legend that influenced my childhood more than anyone else and it wasn't at all close.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:58 am

Shocking news. May he rest in peace.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:59 am

It doesn't feel real. I can't believe this. I didn't know him personally, but him and his work meant so much to me. As someone went through a lot of abuse and trauma that fucked me up and left me hopeless....Dragon Ball gave me some of that hope back. Made me wanna live again. I hope Toriyama knew how much he helped change the lives of so many. His work will live on forever. Rest in peace 💜

Nocky

Post by Nocky » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:09 am

His stories captured me as a kid and have stayed with me through adulthood. In the good and the bad times, his characters have been like close friends, his worlds have been like home, and his irreverent brand of humour has been a constant source of happiness. Rest in peace old-timer.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:48 am

May his soul rest in peace.

master_k

Post by master_k » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:02 am

Dragon Ball has been my favourite anime and manga since I was a child. I am at a loss for words. I share a birthday with the day the very first chapter came out in Japan. This doesn’t feel real. It’s always been my main source of happiness for most of my life, I don’t even know what to do from here. R.I.P. Akira Toriyama. Thank you.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:31 am

There truly aren't enough words in every language known to man to express just how blindsided I was by this news first thing in the morning. I knew it was coming someday, but I never expected it to be so soon. This one truly hurts. Like so many others, I owe so much to this man's work. I wouldn't be who I am or where I am today if it wasn't for him.

Rest in piece, Toriyama.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:33 am

68 is so young...

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:35 am

Creator of Dr. Slump, Dragon Ball, not to mention character designer for Dragon Quest series, Chrono Trigger etc. RIP Toriyama-sensei.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:52 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:08 pm Fucking hell, man. My father passed away a little over a month ago and this almost hit me just as hard. Rest In Peace, your work changed more lives than you can count
Sorry to hear about your dad. When I heard the news I looked up Toriyama on Google, (as I imagine a lot of us did) and I saw that he was born the same year as my dad, which was scary to think about. Even though 68 doesn't seem that old now it just goes to show that we never know how much time we have to spend with someone.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:53 am

I made a live-reaction video about Toriyama's death with the intention of helping bring catharsis to other fans.

https://www.youtube.com/live/Tii0BKNlIn ... F_kLq&t=30

I'm not going to follow replies here because I need time to heal, so I hope it's helpful for you.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:59 am

Just woke up to this. Holy shit.

RIP Toriyama, and thank you. Dragon Ball and everything that came from it- including me being an anime fan to begin with, was because of you; and I'll always be grateful for that.

As a self-admitted "lazy" gag-manga guy that wound up becoming a highly influential battle-manga guy, Toriyama's career was kind of a punchline- the kind of punchline he himself would write.
Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:13 am
Seeing this made me realize that Toriyama's death has some eerie parallels to how he ended the manga:

1. For both, the end feels like it came completely out of left field.

2. The announcement stated he had more stuff he was working on when he died, which calls to mind the manga's closing narration about how more stuff happened with Goku and co but it won't be shown because this is where the story ends. Toriyama was still working and had more stuff to show the world that we'll never see (or see in a completed state) because this is where his story ends.

Once again, thank you Akira Toriyama. Rest in Peace.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:06 am

All of us fan will not forget about you.
We most of us got in dragon ball by his work and with him being gone. I have no works to say. My heart was breaking just like future trunks finding gohan just laying there.
And it came at the most random time and 68 that's way to young. He may live in peace now, just like goku after the cell saga.

But that makes me wonder what about daima. he was guiding some of it but with Akira Toriyama dieing how will this affect the show. Let's hope that Daima does Great for Toriyama