Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokos

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by Kokos » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:11 am

So unfortunate, I didn't expect him to pass away so soon. Dragon Ball has always been and continues to be a part of my life. No matter how much times change for me, I can always come back to Dragon Ball for a good time. If I had to pick one favorite part out of all my Dragon Ball memories, it has got to be the fights against Frieza in the Namek Saga, the epicness and tension is off the charts, especially back when I watched it in the 90s as a child!

Thank you for all the joy you've brought to me and many others!
Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:14 am

Dragon Ball has had such a positive impact on my life and countless others. Waking up to this news really is heartbreaking. Thank you for everything you have given us Akira Toriyama.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:16 am

RIP to the Creator of the best and most iconic Shonen series in history. Very sad news, many condolences to his family.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:25 am

I can't believe it! I just cant believe it.

I heard the news and immediately came to Kanzenshuu to see if it was real.

This man has had a great influence on me and many others here through his stories. I loved his attitude and the values he expressed through Dragon Ball and the other great manga he wrote and illustrated. Toriyama was a legend! He influenced comics and animation all over the world for the better.

I'm very grateful that Toriyama continued to stay active in the ongoing Dragon Ball movies and animated shows. I know for certain I wouldn't have enjoyed them nearly as much without his touch. We will feel his absence going forward, but we will always have the wealth of material he left us with to go back to and share with future generations.

I'm almost tearing up writing this. I'll greatly miss Toriyama.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:28 am

Rest in peace.

Thank you for everything.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:57 am

Unbelievable, I thought it was another Geekdom lie, I don't think he ever knew just how many lives he changed, the world is different after his input, athletes celebrating like his characters, people getting tattoos, cities filled with DB concepts, parents namings their kids after his characters.

I know his work will live forever, but it still feels like Goku and the rest of the guys also passed away. I'll never get to see them ever again, at least not from his perspective, which is the one I always enjoyed the most. I'll hang onto the manga like Pan did to Goku's old gi.

And let's just hope this thread doesn't derail with heated debates and people getting banned in the end.
Last edited by Koitsukai on Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:14 am

Incredibly sad news and extremely infuriating. I owe him a thanks for all the fun and good times.
With this it's like Dragon Ball itself is dead too and I find it hard to have enthusiasism for new content without him to supervise.

Envy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Envy » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:22 am

68 is so young to die! My parents are around that age!!

A sad time, for sure. Have enjoyed the DB series for over two decades now myself, which is over half my life so far.

RIP Akira Toriyama. ='(

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:27 am

I'm just at a loss for words. He shaped my life and many others through this amazing work.

I remember the day my friend recommended me the show and I bought the first DBZ VHS tape "Arrival." When I saw Goku & Piccolo fight Radtiz I was blown away and wanted more. Watching episodes daily on cartoon network, manga, fan subs of Japanese episodes. His work got me into anime and shaped me to what I enjoy today.

He was truly an amazing person that gave joy to myself and countless others.

Rest in peace Toriyama-san.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:42 am

Hopefully, Kami will pull some strings and allow Toriyama to keep his body in the Otherworld, if not because he's my manga hero. Perhaps then he can get a day off on Earth and show the results of his Afterlife drawings. Rest in peace for now.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:07 am

dbgtFO wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:14 am With this it's like Dragon Ball itself is dead too and I find it hard to have enthusiasism for new content without him to supervise.
I completely relate to that.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:18 am

I admired his art style through the years, he was an inspiration of bringing the series to life and made it mainstream for generations of fans everywhere in the world.

RIP Akira Toriyama, you were a good role model for all of us.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:35 am

Thank you for everything, Toriyama-sensei.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Teddy_Beer

Post by Teddy_Beer » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:40 am

My goodness...I always dreaded the day this would happen and now, the nightmare came true...

As far as I'm concerned...this marks the end of Dragon Ball...

RIP.
Last edited by Teddy_Beer on Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:43 am

I'm heartbroken... I only pray his family can grieve in peace without being harassed and that toei doesn't piss on his grave by continuing dragon ball with more 1/10 level work and kill the name of Dragon ball

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:45 am

Every time I read or hear about this I cry over and over again.

Even french radio channels reported on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAMhC2H ... el=Europe1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0H8Ra ... l=FRANCE24
Last edited by sangofe on Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:46 am

RIP Toriyama-san. Thank you for your original manga! This is truly the end of Dragon Ball...
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:58 am

tinlunlau wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:08 am Hong Kong actor-director Stephen Chow just post this on Instagram story with a mention of Akira Toriyama and the promotional poster drawn by Toriyama for the Japanese release of his movie "Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons".

https://www.instagram.com/stories/steph ... pobGk4Nw==
I hadn't seen this before now. That's so cool and perfectly fitting, on multiple levels.

RandomGuy96 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:43 amHis skill at drawing wacky pastiches filled with fight scenes and poop jokes has practically immortalized him.
It really is incredible not only how perfectly literal this sentence sums up so much of his work, but also what an incredible, once-in-a-lifetime level of impact on the whole world he managed to get from it. To that point...

Majin Buu wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:59 amAs a self-admitted "lazy" gag-manga guy that wound up becoming a highly influential battle-manga guy, Toriyama's career was kind of a punchline- the kind of punchline he himself would write.
This too. A sardonic, slacker gag comic artist who draws silly dick and fart jokes becoming a globally beloved and cherished institution completely in spite of himself is exactly the kind of taking-the-piss-out-of-itself joke that Toriyama himself would write. I'm glad that for the most part, he never lost that kind of irreverent sense of humor throughout his work or throughout his life.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:05 am

Absolutely devastated over this. He was still so young and I know he had so much more to offer this world. Thank you for everything, Toriyama.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:18 am

TonyTheTiger wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:18 amAcute subdural hematoma sounds like it might have been caused by an accident rather than disease. Some kind of head trauma. Obviously that's just speculation.

If was an accident it just makes things even more sad. Toriyama and his family are low profile, so we might never have details about it.

Just the feeling that he could live for more several years...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?