Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:17 pm

Man, Katsura's words were the most insightful and moving for me.

Specifically the part where he says Toriyama never felt great to him even though he knew he was great.

And the last words he got from Toriyama were "OK". Damn. They were buds.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:53 pm

We always knew that Toriyama was passionate about vehicles, and one of his photos that fills me with joy the most is of him with Ayrton Senna, a famous Formula 1 driver from here in Brazil who unfortunately died in a racing accident in 1994. Two legends that will surely meet in the afterlife.

He met Senna personally in 1990 at the German Grand Prix, after an invitation to design the McLaren team with Dragon Ball characters.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:16 pm

This is insane. Also, the outpouring of love and reverence for this great man reminds me of something. A little under a decade ago now, when Kale was first introduced, I made a post asking how everyone feels about Super pulling from past concepts for modern material. Seems okay enough, right? Well, not as far as one of the mods (out of respect and to keep this focused on Toriyama, won't name them, but I think you know) deemed WORTHY of this website. So, he replied with something along the lines of "WE KNOW THIS. THIS IS OBVIOUS. THIS POST ADDS NOTHING TO THIS SITE."

And that really got to me. I thought, "Who the f*ck are you to tell me my post adds nothing to this site?" After that, posting on here didn't feel the same anymore because at any moment, one of the mods could say "Yeah, this post ADDS NOTHING to this site." But it also reminds me of another feeling I had of, "You're not Akira Toriyama." And I'm right. It doesn't matter if the Kanzenshuu mods deem my post and other posts worthy. They're opinions are MEANINGLESS. They didn't make Dragon Ball and this whole site can only operate BECAUSE of Dragon Ball and Akira Toriyama's great vision. And I also felt and still feel like, "How dare you judge my post when I was just discussing my favorite mangaka's art and vision?" I know for a FACT, Toriyama wouldn't have judged me like that for simply discussing his work.

It's been said so much already, but rest in peace, Akira Toriyama. Your impact on so many lives and pop culture as a whole cannot be ignored. And from what I'm seeing online, from fans, celebrities, voice actors/actors, writers, artists, athletes, musicians, and so on, it's not being ignored. Hold your loved ones close, guys. As we get older, so do they.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Kal

Post by Super Kal » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:33 pm

This hit me really hard today.
Dragon Ball Z has been such an inspirational show to me. The first thing I ever watch of Dragon Ball Z was movie three, Tree of Might... I was scrolling through tv channels and I just happened to come across a channel at the time, and they were playing Tree of Might, and I saw two characters, a man and a child, taking a bath together and, what looked to me, they were being cooked by a fire... the two taking a bath didnt confuse me, what confused me was them being cooked alive (what i thought at the time) and them smiling about it

i deeply struggled with depression in my teenage years, and still due to a certain amount today, and this show, at certain points, kept me from hurting myself When I had no friends and I couldn't depend on my family for help. This show will always have a special place in my heart. I'm so thankful that Akira Toriyama put so much time, energy, and love for this franchise.
He will be greatly missed

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:37 pm

Just wanted to add my bit of genki to this outpouring of love for Toriyama. I first caught Dragon Ball watching it on YTV in Canada, and immediately loved his brilliant balance of satire and drama.

I work with youth and I think Dragon Ball's multi generational appeal is frankly amazing, and shows its timeless quality. I've been even more fascinated by its appeal as an adult, seeing it span multiple cultures. IMO Toriyama really made something truly remarkable that will be loved through the ages.
Last edited by foxfang4 on Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:39 pm

Jeez... Dragon Ball Z was such a big part of my childhood. While Super didn't live up to its potential, in my opinion, Toriyama's charm and humor managed to take boring ideas like "Broly again, but canon" and "Android Saga 2.0" and make them actually entertaining. Daima was not what I wanted, but even while I complained about it, I knew Toriyama being so personally involved in its creation would make it worth watching. I'm sure TOEI will try to carry the torch, but when they make Dragon Ball Super: Cooler or whatever, they won't be able to fall back on Toriyama to make it good anymore. I think the Super manga is pretty good (usually), but even that is kinda tainted now that Toyotarou won't be getting anymore notes from his master.

In my opinion, Dragon Ball died with Toriyama, but I'm okay with that. Everything has to end sometime. We'll always have Dragon Ball, DBZ, Daima, and the Super movies to revisit. Those aren't going anywhere. Neither are the other things he wrote. Maybe I'll check out some of his manga I haven't read. I haven't seen that Sand Land adaptation yet either.

ChahikoDBZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ChahikoDBZ » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:23 pm

This was shocking to find out and its very difficult to even begin to process. Watching Daima will definitely hit different now...

Thank you Toriyama-sensei. There are no words that I feel are enough to express the massive impact your works have had on my life. May your soul find peace and joy.
(Fanfiction link coming soon.)

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:44 pm

I honestly can't even believe this is real. Holy Cow. No Way. I mean we all gotta die one day but I never heard anything about his health. And by today's health standards 68 isn't that old. This sucks.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:11 pm

This is just a gut punch. I just don't know what else to say. His work, Dragon Ball and beyond, had such an impact on my life. When I was somewhat serious about art, I bought stuff I thought he used when making his art. Seeing everyone here pour their hearts out and tall their stories is very comforting.

RIP Toriyama-sensei
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Torque

Post by Torque » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:24 pm

It's been a looooooong time since I've posted here, but there is nowhere more fitting.

Few people have had such an impact on me. His work consumed my preteens, first on Toonami and later watching horrendously low quality RealPlayer fansubs as I discovered Dragon Ball was something called anime and there were hundreds of more episodes than what I had seen and even a sequel called GT. Chrono Trigger remains my favorite JRPG and I one of the few I regularly replay.

I've drifted away from the fandom as I've gotten older but Dragon Ball has always held a special place in my heart. Toriyama was one of my first heroes, and now he's the first to pass. I don't really know how to feel, I feel like I should be crying uncontrollably but instead I just feel slightly numb. Maybe that's ok though, he never liked people to make too much of a fuss over him...

RIP Toriyama-sensei

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:50 pm

It's wild to thing one mans dreams have inspired so many and he didn't truly know. Take Kanzenshuu for example. All of the content on this site was birthed by Akira. The man impacted millions of people. His content was able to bring together such a weird bunch of people we call "fans." Thats beautiful. Thank you Akira.

RIP Sensei.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:52 pm

Peril wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:44 pm I honestly can't even believe this is real. Holy Cow. No Way. I mean we all gotta die one day but I never heard anything about his health. And by today's health standards 68 isn't that old. This sucks.
His health was likely fine, the condition he died from is usually caused by injuries.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:41 pm

Story is the same as everyone else's. Dragon Ball was an iconic franchise which I grew up with and loved. Have a lot of fond memories of it and I adore the franchise, even with its myriad of flaws and shortcomings.

Toriyama wasn't the best writer or artist, but he certainly left an impression, and he's really a legend in the manga industry. Rest in peace, good sir.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:47 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:16 pm This is insane. Also, the outpouring of love and reverence for this great man reminds me of something. A little under a decade ago now, when Kale was first introduced, I made a post asking how everyone feels about Super pulling from past concepts for modern material. Seems okay enough, right? Well, not as far as one of the mods (out of respect and to keep this focused on Toriyama, won't name them, but I think you know) deemed WORTHY of this website. So, he replied with something along the lines of "WE KNOW THIS. THIS IS OBVIOUS. THIS POST ADDS NOTHING TO THIS SITE."

And that really got to me. I thought, "Who the f*ck are you to tell me my post adds nothing to this site?" After that, posting on here didn't feel the same anymore because at any moment, one of the mods could say "Yeah, this post ADDS NOTHING to this site." But it also reminds me of another feeling I had of, "You're not Akira Toriyama." And I'm right. It doesn't matter if the Kanzenshuu mods deem my post and other posts worthy. They're opinions are MEANINGLESS. They didn't make Dragon Ball and this whole site can only operate BECAUSE of Dragon Ball and Akira Toriyama's great vision. And I also felt and still feel like, "How dare you judge my post when I was just discussing my favorite mangaka's art and vision?" I know for a FACT, Toriyama wouldn't have judged me like that for simply discussing his work.

It's been said so much already, but rest in peace, Akira Toriyama. Your impact on so many lives and pop culture as a whole cannot be ignored. And from what I'm seeing online, from fans, celebrities, voice actors/actors, writers, artists, athletes, musicians, and so on, it's not being ignored. Hold your loved ones close, guys. As we get older, so do they.
Go and touch some grass dude - nobody came to this thread to listen to you whinge about post you made here 6 years ago.

DefinitiveDubs
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DefinitiveDubs » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:51 pm

I wonder if Toonami is planning on paying tribute tomorrow night. DBZ practically put them on the map after all.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:45 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:47 pm
mecha3000 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:16 pm This is insane. Also, the outpouring of love and reverence for this great man reminds me of something. A little under a decade ago now, when Kale was first introduced, I made a post asking how everyone feels about Super pulling from past concepts for modern material. Seems okay enough, right? Well, not as far as one of the mods (out of respect and to keep this focused on Toriyama, won't name them, but I think you know) deemed WORTHY of this website. So, he replied with something along the lines of "WE KNOW THIS. THIS IS OBVIOUS. THIS POST ADDS NOTHING TO THIS SITE."

Go and touch some grass dude - nobody came to this thread to listen to you whinge about post you made here 6 years ago.
You're right, but these are my raw thoughts and everyone's sharing theirs. If you don't like it, that's fine. But don't judge me for sharing a personal experience that made me appreciate Toriyama more and made me realize that he's the only authority on Dragon Ball. Like I said, I never named the mod who said what they said, but that was something that left a bad taste in my mouth and I really did feel like "You're not Toriyama. Who are you to judge the worthiness of my post when I was just enthusiastically discussing his work?" Especially when I've seen posts that arguably contribute less to the site. Whatever that means. But again, that's okay. We're all just enjoying Dragon Ball and discussing our favorite series.

I really meant no harm and disrespect with my post. That is the last thing I would want to do (especially because I admire and respect Toriyama so much), but again, I just have to be honest about that moment with the mod. I think fans sometimes take franchises so seriously to a point where they feel like they're the ultimate authority on it. My post was me saying, "Toriyama made this series for fun and for fans to enjoy and probably wouldn't dismiss a fan for simply discussing his art without harming anyone."

If I'm being honest, yes, there was bitterness in that post, but not for Toriyama. It was for fans who think they have a right to dictate what gets to be discussed about his art. But that doesn't matter. All that matters is that it's GETTING discussed at all and leaving an impact on us. And sometimes, we take Dragon Ball and other fandoms WAY too serious, more so than the creators.

And I also mean the Kanzenshuu crew no harm. It probably sounded too harsh, but I didn't mean their opinions are meaningless overall. I just meant in regards to judging fans simply talking about Toriyama's work (the same applies to anyone and my own judgements). I hope if the mods read this, they understand that and again, I could've worded that "meaningless" comment better. I was just being unfiltered when writing that. I sincerely apologize to the mods for that.

But Kanzenshuu deserves credit for creating a platform for us to enjoy and learn more about Dragon Ball together and celebrate Akira Toriyama's masterpiece. Again, I'm just being brutally honest about an experience I had that made me think of Toriyama and his goal for this series: "I just wanted to make boys happy." Not "I just wanted to make boys happy, but only if I deemed their thoughts on the series important enough." So sorry my post didn't fit your criteria of what I should be talking about in regard to Toriyama, but again, there's irony in your reply that supports my point.

But I promise from here on out, my posts will only talk about Toriyama celebration, as the man deserves and I don't want my posts to sour that.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:23 am

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainmen ... 9000c.html
So... according to this, Toriyama underwent surgery last month due to a brain tumor.

Oh man... :(

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:36 am

https://www.db-z.com/emmanuel-macron-ho ... -toriyama/
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/stat ... 5270225954
Even the French president left a message after Toriyama's passing.

Even the norwegian tv news channel reported on it:
https://www.tv2.no/direkte/jpybz/siste- ... -68-er-dod
Last edited by sangofe on Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:37 am

Tian wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:23 am https://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainmen ... 9000c.html
So... according to this, Toriyama underwent surgery last month due to a brain tumor.

Oh man... :(
Fuck, this just keep getting worse.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:39 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:36 am https://www.db-z.com/emmanuel-macron-ho ... -toriyama/
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/stat ... 5270225954
Even the French president left a message after Toriyama's passing.
I saw that and even how he has a signed art piece by Toriyama himself. I'm so jealous. This week, I've seen that the appeal of Dragon Ball is even more immense and far-reaching than I originally thought. It's inspiring. I hope all of us can aspire and achieve even a fraction of what Toriyama has.