Best video and audio sources for the series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

doriandiaconu

Best video and audio sources for the series?

Post by doriandiaconu » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:04 pm

I’ve been planning to rewatch the series…with the current event I want that even more now.

What is the state of the BDs/DVDs now? Dragon box is still the king? I’m not interested in dubbed episodes

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Best video and audio sources for the series?

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:57 am

Best official release is the French Blu-Ray release, which currently only covers the first 68 episodes of DB. As a French release, the only subtitles is has are in French. If you’re interested in non-official releases, a group called Seed of Might have performed extensive colour correction on the Dragon Box footage of the original series with broadcast audio.

As for DBZ, the Dragon Box footage is probably the best footage (other than arguably the level sets for the Saiyan arc), but the best quality audio (original broadcast audio) isn’t included on any official release.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:20 am

AB Video's Blu-Ray for episodes 1-68 of the original series in every respect. Best colours, sound, etc.

For the remainder your options are limited. You could invest in the Dragon Boxes but in most cases will only be helping a scalper's wallet. Seed of Might's colour correction with the broadcast audio is the definitive way of watching anything Dragon Ball right now but no one here can point you in that direction as it would involve pirating, but it's out there and easy to find.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

doriandiaconu

Post by doriandiaconu » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:26 am

Thank you for the info! I was actually planning to correct the video and audio myself