Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Re: Akira Toriyama Passes Away.

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:20 pm

I just want to say that seeing the world mourn Toriyama together is really beautiful. Toriyama and what he did with Dragon Ball (and his other works) really brought people together to the point where POLITICAL LEADERS (French president and probably more) are coming out and expressing grief and gratitude.

It's funny too. The series is called Dragon Ball, but the only time they're truly relevant to the series is the very first arc. Sure, they're pivotal to the series throughout and set up arcs (like the Freeza Arc), but the main buildup to the series was wrapped up in its first story arc. That would be like Luffy becoming the Pirate King and finding the One Piece in the first arc OR Naruto becoming Hokage. Not many authors can pivot from their original inspiration (Journey to the West) and create something new and original and beautiful. So many iconic moments and memories. So many other series pivotal to my childhood like Naruto that wouldn't exist without Dragon Ball.

I genuinely appreciate your contribute to the arts and pop culture, sir. And to know you were unemployed at 25 and asking your parents for money and eventually becoming one of the greatest writers and artists in all of fiction is a great inspiration to me, who has also struggled with those things and wishes to be a creative one day.

Also, I regret that my previous two posts (refer to my previous two posts on this topic, but I'm not going to discuss it again out of respect) were sort of used to vent an experience I had on Kanzenshuu and in hindsight, that was a mistake and not fully appropriate for the topic and Toriyama's passing, but I still stand by most of those thoughts and without even being directly involved, Toriyama made me feel better about how I felt and my frustration.

Rest in peace, Toriyama and thank you for all that you gave us. The Earth will miss you.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:00 pm

Quick translation of retired voice actor and Cantonese dub voice of Goku, Peter Lam Kwok-Hung's statements regarding Akira Toriyama.
Hello! This is Goku, Peter Lam Kwok-Hung! Long time no see! Do you miss me? This morning, I received some really bad news. My mentor Akira Toriyama, as you all know, is the creator of Goku. I felt very bad as I received this bit of news. And I'm fairly certain everyone feels the same. Now he's gone onto another realm, doing other things. As for me, I am very unhappy about this but he's gone now. I hope he's watching us happily now from above after he's left this mortal plane. I also hope his successors continue his vision in manga. Now that he's up there with King Kai, it shouldn't be too bad. Isn't it? I hope to return to Hong Kong and meet up with you all as soon as possible. Thank you, everyone! I wish my mentor Akira Toriyama will have a happy voyage to the heavens. Goodbye!
The world is your's.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:41 pm

Two famous football clubs in my country (River Plate and Independiente) have uploaded homages to Toriyama in their official instagram accounts:
https://www.tycsports.com/amp/gaming/dr ... 69678.html

River uploaded an edited photo of some of their players doing a Genkidama (spirit bomb) with the following description:
La genkidama más grande. En memoria de Akira Toriyama 1955-2024. (The biggest Genkidama ever. In memory of Akira Toriyama 1955-2024.)
And Independiente uploaded a image of the seven Dragon Balls representing Independiente's seven Copa Libertadores titles with the following description:
El poder nuestro es. (the power is ours.)
"El poder nuestro es" is one of the lyrics heard in the Latin Spanish dubbed version of the We Gotta Power opening.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:45 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:13 am I don't think its at all an exaggeration at this point to cite Toriyama as one of the single most influential and globally impactful Japanese Manga artists of all time. Top 5 without question, alongside Osamu Tezuka, Go Nagai, and Leiji Matsumoto.
No doubt about that. Shotaro Ishinomori, Runiko Takahashi, and Goseki Kojima get a hornorable mention too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:30 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:45 pm
Kunzait_83 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:13 am I don't think its at all an exaggeration at this point to cite Toriyama as one of the single most influential and globally impactful Japanese Manga artists of all time. Top 5 without question, alongside Osamu Tezuka, Go Nagai, and Leiji Matsumoto.
No doubt about that. Shotaro Ishinomori, Runiko Takahashi, and Goseki Kojima get a hornorable mention too.
Definitely. Toriyama almost feels like the Dr. Seuss of manga. I mean, his gag manga almost parallel some of Dr. Seuss's works and from the little bit I know of Sand Land (which I'm glad Toriyama got to see blow up before his passing), it is sort of like The Lorax and has an environmental message. If I recall correctly, Toriyama even said he's most proud of Sand Land out of all of his works, but I could be wrong. Not just Dr. Seuss either, but he's also very similar to Stan Lee in that he created an action manga with a universe on par with Marvel. I mean, the man doesn't even have to put out new material and fans endlessly discuss the series, what-if scenarios, buy the merchandise, and so on. That's really impressive when most series die out if there's no new material unless it's something like Star Wars, which to me, Dragon Ball is the Star Wars of manga.

Something very interesting happened the night we learned of his tragic passing. I had been putting off getting his Manga Theater book that Viz finally released due to money issues. But I decided to get Sand Land and the Manga Theater book in one go on Amazon. So, I ordered it even though it said it won't arrive until around March 23. I checked that page again a half hour later and it said *temporarily out of stock, working to get more in stock".

I know this always happens when authors and artists die, like it did with the Berserk manga selling out. But that just shows people deeply affected by his passing and looking to appreciate the work of someone who has a profound impact on their lives.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:20 pm

I've spent all day with my little boy watching Dragonball Z.

Dragonball has been such a formative part of my life that even when I've not been actively engaging with the franchise it has, in a way, always been with me.

I'm a middle-aged man now with a career and a family, but since hearing the news I've felt a mixture of emptiness for what the world has lost, and warmth at seeing how far and wide across the world Akira Toriyama's work has touched.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:29 pm

R.I.P Toriyama Sensei. Your artistic vision was highly inspiring me. Dragon Ball and by extension your being were a big part of my life. Until now, I didn't expected I would grieve anyone who isn't my family or a close friend. It won't be without a sense of sadness that I will look at your amazing work from now on.

The annoncement of your passing was such a shock that I'm still in denial. So sudden and while your where still relatively young ! "I want to live at least 100 years" you once wrote in one of your humoristical minicomic depicting yourself struggling with your hard work. It was the least of good fortune I could wish you for.

I wish you could have more taken care of yourself in order to attain that goal and took some desserved rest time when it was overdue.
Well, even if that period of your life when you were deprived of your sleep to match your deadlines is totally unrelated to whatever condition sealed your fate.

My sincere condoleances for your family and friends.

Sayonara Sensei, we'll never forget you. I wish for your successors to live up to your legacy.

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:05 pm

Just heard the news today. I can't put into words how I feel about Dragon Ball. Out of everything I've watched/read, it's one of the most re-watchable/re-readable and never gets old. Like a lot of other people, it was my introduction to anime and manga and still remains one of my favorites. This just sucks. I was looking forward to what else he was gonna do in the future.

RIP Akira Toriyama

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:11 pm

https://twitter.com/AkihitoTokunaga/sta ... 2198003021
Unbelievable... this occasion is probably the first time in 28 years that Tokunaga has spoken about his work on GT.
And it's not even the Toriyama portion of the series, yet he still thought to approach it as though it were in the way that he could.
(Although this isn't entirely correct as he'd also scored the 10th anniversary movie for DB, which is a retelling of Toriyama's early stories.)
That aside, one would have thought that he left that era behind for good, especially as he's no longer a BGM composer, but this is pleasant to see. Toriyama really was that impactful.
Last edited by GhostEmperorX on Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:15 pm

https://twitter.com/JorgeJimenezArt/sta ... 4H1xA&s=19

Woah, Jorge Jimènez (the current main artist for Batman) drew a tribute to Toriyama.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:24 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:41 pm

The french TV Channel M6 also reported on this tragic passing:
https://twitter.com/m6info/status/1766131770133479501

There's been numerous voice actors having said something:
Eric Legrand (French vegeta): https://twitter.com/DBSuperFrance/statu ... 3242696061

Patric Borg (French adult Goku): https://twitter.com/DBSuperFrance/statu ... 3242696061

Brigitte Lecordier (French young Goku): https://www.facebook.com/reel/925268425747652

Mark Lesser (French adult Gohan, Broly): https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 9984258285

Caspar Phillipson (Danish adult Goku): https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=79 ... 6799629629
That's cool, been checking up on who has made tributes on the English side. So far we've got:

Peter Kelamis

Brian Drummond

Chris Sabat

Eric Vale

Linda Young

Colleen Clinkenbeard

Veronica Taylor

I've been shopping around for printed papers hoping for the Irish media to report on this. They did online, but I was hoping to get a traditional reporting on this. Anyway the articles we've gotten:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41348453.html

https://www.thesun.ie/news/12367450/aki ... eator/amp/ (this one's a rag though so unsurprising they sensationalized it as "Toriyama's family hold secret funeral" and they erroneously make the claim Dragon Ball Z aired in the UK in the 90s. Thankfully the former article is respectfully written)
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:26 pm

Since we're sharing other's condolences, this is from Justin Chatwin (Goku in DB Evolution)

https://x.com/SLOplays/status/1766480455828754479?s=20
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:34 pm

More from the BBC, this time with some kind words from fans in the UK and Northern Ireland:
How Dragon Ball caused a diplomatic spat
By Sofia Lotto Persio

The death of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama has been mourned by fans of the comic book and animated series.

But amid the tributes, fans have also been recalling how the series sparked a diplomatic incident between Japan and Mexico almost exactly six years ago.

Plans for public screenings in various Mexican cities ran into copyright snarl-ups and the Japanese Embassy was forced to step in.

But one event was salvaged after the studio struck a deal with officials.

It was 2018, and the first season of the anime series Dragon Ball Super was coming to a close after more than 100 episodes.

Various cities across Latin America were organising viewing parties for the last couple of episodes.

In Mexico's Ciudad Juarez, in the state of Chihuahua, a group of young people sought the local municipality's support to organised a free, public screening in one of the city's squares. Hundreds of people were expected to attend.

But as news of the public events spread, Dragon Ball's studios Toei Animation published a chilling statement: "Toei Animation has not authorised these public showings and does not support or sponsor any of these events, nor do we or any of our titles endorse any institution exhibiting the unauthorised episode."

The statement read further: "In an effort to support copyright laws, to protect the work of thousands of persons and many labour sectors, we request that you please enjoy our titles at the official platforms and broadcasters and not support illegal screenings that incite piracy."

Then a letter from the Japanese Embassy in Mexico, dated 16 March 2018, to the governor of the state of Coahuila that was widely circulated online echoed the concerns expressed by Toei Animation and requested the cancellation of any illegal screening.

But for Dragon Ball fans in Juarez, there was a happy ending. Mayor Armando Cabada successfully negotiated with the studios to allow the screening of the second-to-last episode of the series.

An estimated 15,000 people gathered in the city's Plaza de la Mexicanidad on 17 March 2018 and enjoyed Toriyama's creation.

The outpouring of love for the series on that day was also on show on Friday, after Toriyama's studio announced his death at the age of 68.

People from Sheffield to Chicago got in contact with the BBC to share what Dragon Ball meant to them growing up.

"This anime was absolutely my childhood, and influenced me to get past my struggles and become a better person, and it directly inspired me to improve in life, it's so incredibly sad to hear about his death but, his work will live on forever," said Amin Ibrahim.

And he was far from the only one. Northern Ireland-based Alexander Scullion said: "From a young age, I was heavily bullied, I felt very low at times. I started watching Dragon Ball and I was instantly entranced. I fell in love with the art, the story and the action."

Samantha Hauton in Wales shared a similar experience. She was a fan of Dragon Ball Z, one of the anime series that spawned from the manga: "I got through some lonely years in primary and secondary school thanks to Dragon Ball Z."

For some readers, Dragon Ball continued to be a part of their adult lives. Joshua Aistrop, from Sheffield, recalls: "Fond memories include watching Dragon Ball Super: Broly in cinemas and actively participating in organising and being a panellist at Saiyacon, the UK's inaugural Dragon Ball convention."

The global phenomenon, which made its debut in 1984, is inspired by the 16th Century Chinese novel Journey to the West, about a monk who goes on a pilgrimage to obtain sacred texts.

In Dragon Ball, a boy called Son Goku goes on a journey to find seven magical spheres which, when gathered, awake a dragon that grants wishes.

But Goku is not the only one seeking the dragon balls, and his many struggles and battles provide an opportunity for him to make friends, enemies, and mature.
I can definitely relate to Dragon Ball helping me when I was bullied in school, always great hearing your not the only one.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:03 pm

Man... what is there to say that hasn't already been said? To be completely honest, it's taking me some time to wrap my head around this. I'm part of the crowd that isn't typically affected by celebrity deaths, but this feels so different. I also can't help but fixate on the fact that he was not too dissimilar in age to my own parents

First of all, it's been moving to see so many old usernames reappear over the past couple of days. It made me want to make a post of my own for old times' sake.

It's so strange to be almost a decade removed from the teenager who last made a post here. My most active years in the fandom coincide with when I was at my lowest point, so Dragon Ball has always been an escape for me and it's always given me a reason to be excited about the future. While it's faded into the background as my situation's improved, this Toriyama's work continues to be a part of my life and, at this point, I think it always will be.

When I was younger, I spent so much time fretting over the "correct" way to enjoy the series that I never really stopped to appreciate its universal appeal and how popular it really is. Seeing the outpouring of love from all types of people from so many different parts of the world these past couple days is such an incredible reflection of how special it is. I don't quite know how to articulate it, but there's something wonderfully life-affirming about the way the cast aged in Dragon Ball and how its fanbase now spans generations. I think it's a big part of what makes it such an enduring work. Thank you Toriyama, for filling so many empty heads with dreams.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:13 pm

RIP

He brought so much happiness to many people with his works.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:21 pm

A few more condolences:

Ben Schwartz (voice of live-action Sonic, among many other credits)

Jamie Hewlett (Gorillaz artist)

Michael B. Jordan has been re-posting fan tribute art in his Instagram story, which shouldn't come as a surprise as he's always been a very vocal fan.

Kiké Hernández of the Los Angeles Dodgers also re-posted a piece of fan tribute art in his story.

Speaking of the Dodgers, their new celebration pose this year when getting on base is a Dragon Ball homage suggested by All Star player Shohei Ohtani, and Kiké was the first to unveil it. It's not quite the fusion pose, but more an evolution of it, according to this article (you'll need Google translate for that). Apparently they're naming it the "Dragon Ball Pose" in honor of Toriyama. I already loved my Dodgers, but this really hits home.

EDIT: Shohei and a Dodger trainer doing a more accurate Fusion pose in the dugout after yesterday's Spring Training game, if there was any doubt, lol.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:55 pm

Damn...first Kikuchi, and now the "main man" himself...that's really sad... :cry: :cry: :cry:

RIP, Toriyama...I know for a fact, and I think this is true for many of us here on these boards and elsewhere, your works-- but especially Dragon Ball-- will never really be gone from our lives.

Thank you, sensei.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:10 am

Just returning for a final goodbye, I'm still so heart broken, but it's so good to see the world's reaction to it, some people are being a real surprise for me (Justin Chatwin and Akihito Tokunaga I didn't even imagine)
I believe that the forum will never have as many active members as this again, from the oldest ones who hadn't posted in years, to the newest ones, it was like a real worldwide alarm, I don't think I'll see anything like that again in my lifetime, at least nothing that impacts me, rest in peace, my childhood, life and soul are grateful...
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:11 am

Since we're posting tributes now, here is Naoto Ohshima and Judy Totoya (two people involved with the classic Sonic games): https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1067136/.

I apologise if the link directs to another forum, but I don't know where the original posts are from. If someone knows, feel free to amend this.

Totoya's tribute is particularly interesting, because it says that Tails has been created to mimic the relationship between Piccolo (Sonic) and Son Gohan (Tails), I didn't know that.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:26 am

nineko wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:11 am Since we're posting tributes now, here is Naoto Ohshima and Judy Totoya (two people involved with the classic Sonic games): https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1067136/.

I apologise if the link directs to another forum, but I don't know where the original posts are from. If someone knows, feel free to amend this.

Totoya's tribute is particularly interesting, because it says that Tails has been created to mimic the relationship between Piccolo (Sonic) and Son Gohan (Tails), I didn't know that.
Weird. I always thought Knuckles was Piccolo and Sonic and Tails were like Goku and Krillin.

Also, here's the Toonami bumper tribute: https://youtu.be/EgUDezBUq88?si=gEl7NYhV_Vf2J1R9