Actual Celebrities doing dubbing on Dragon Ball (Star Talents)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Actual Celebrities doing dubbing on Dragon Ball (Star Talents)

Post by Zephyr » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:43 pm

nice another one of these threads

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:53 pm

DB1984 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:35 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:34 pm Reuben Langdon's career is over because he is a total nutjob by posting fake news about Vaccines and believes that the MeToo moment is created by both women and men to get easy money by ruining someone's career (He thinks people like Vic Mignogna and
Harvey Weinstein are innocent people that got their career ruin by leftist :roll: ). He is also openly racist by saying the Black Lives Matter movement is obnoxious and too violent. Not to mention, he defends 1/6. Reuben even said that he will probably never voice Dante and Ken ever again from Capcom. So I doubt CR will hire him to voice someone in Dragon Ball.
Duly noted.

So according to you, Bill Gates is a kind, good-hearted person who cares about you very much, and the fact that he never finished College, has no medical degree, but yet is allowed to give medical advice, isn't that big of a deal. And forcing people to get the COVID Vaccine should never have been mandated. It should have been a choice, and only a choice.

And Mia Farrow, one of the people who helped launch the #MeToo Movement, should one of the very last people to claim to have a moral compass. Considering her brother went to jail for molesting two defenseless little boys. She and her journalist son have hardly brought this up, acting like it's not that big of a deal. Those two helped cause nothing but misery by making "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" go the way of the Dinosaurs, in favor of "Believe All Women".

Sorry for getting a little triggered here and letting off some steam here. I try not to get involved with controversial subjects here but, I couldn't hold back my opinion on this. And those statements about Bill Gates and College and Medical Degrees aren't conspiracy theories; they're real facts.

End of rant.
Weird how nowhere in her post did Hellspawn even mention Bill Gates or Mia Farrow and they in fact have fuck all to do with anything she said.

Consider chilling the fuck out.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:54 pm

DB1984 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:35 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:34 pm Reuben Langdon's career is over because he is a total nutjob by posting fake news about Vaccines and believes that the MeToo moment is created by both women and men to get easy money by ruining someone's career (He thinks people like Vic Mignogna and
Harvey Weinstein are innocent people that got their career ruin by leftist :roll: ). He is also openly racist by saying the Black Lives Matter movement is obnoxious and too violent. Not to mention, he defends 1/6. Reuben even said that he will probably never voice Dante and Ken ever again from Capcom. So I doubt CR will hire him to voice someone in Dragon Ball.
Duly noted.

So according to you, Bill Gates is a kind, good-hearted person who cares about you very much, and the fact that he never finished College, has no medical degree, but yet is allowed to give medical advice, isn't that big of a deal. And forcing people to get the COVID Vaccine should never have been mandated. It should have been a choice, and only a choice.

And Mia Farrow, one of the people who helped launch the #MeToo Movement, should one of the very last people to claim to have a moral compass. Considering her brother went to jail for molesting two defenseless little boys. She and her journalist son have hardly brought this up, acting like it's not that big of a deal. Those two helped cause nothing but misery by making "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" go the way of the Dinosaurs, in favor of "Believe All Women".

Sorry for getting a little triggered here and letting off some steam here. I try not to get involved with controversial subjects here but, I couldn't hold back my opinion on this. And those statements about Bill Gates and College and Medical Degrees aren't conspiracy theories; they're real facts.

End of rant.
The cringe in this is STRONG.

End of rant.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:09 pm

I was under the impression that anyone (i.e. Hellspawn28) who criticizes anyone for questioning the COVID vaccines (i.e. Reuben Langdon) loves Bill Gates, and listens to everything he says.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:37 pm

DB1984 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:35 pm So according to you, Bill Gates is a kind, good-hearted person who cares about you very much, and the fact that he never finished College, has no medical degree, but yet is allowed to give medical advice, isn't that big of a deal. And forcing people to get the COVID Vaccine should never have been mandated. It should have been a choice, and only a choice.

End of rant.
What?! You must be drinking the Qanon kool aid super hard :lol: . You posted a totally off topic post that had nothing to do on what I said.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:43 pm

DUPLICATE POST
Last edited by DB1984 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:37 pmWhat?! You must be drinking the Qanon kool aid super hard :lol: . You posted a totally off topic post that had nothing to do on what I said.
This is a free country, and in a free country, people are free to hate the COVID vaccines, and hate the #MeToo Movement.

I remember I got banned five years ago, all because I dared to have a different opinion on the Vic Mignogna scandal from most other people here (including Derek Padula, who also wants "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" to go the way of the Dinosaurs in favor of "Believe All Women"). And guess what? I still stand by my opinion, and I will not be bullied and harassed for it.
Last edited by DB1984 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:51 pm

DB1984 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:09 pm I was under the impression that anyone (i.e. Hellspawn28) who criticizes anyone for questioning the COVID vaccines (i.e. Reuben Langdon) loves Bill Gates, and listens to everything he says.
Yes.

You got us. We are the evil scum that thinks Bill Gates can absolutely do no wrong and is only second to Jesus. You got us all figured out. You unveiled the conspiracy. BILL GATES IS OUT TO GET YOU! YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU CANT HIDE! ZOLTAR!!!!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:08 pm

DB1984 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:50 pm This is a free country, and in a free country, people are free to hate the COVID vaccines, and hate the #MeToo Movement.

I remember I got banned five years ago, all because I dared to have a different opinion on the Vic Mignogna scandal from most other people here (including Derek Padula, who also wants "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" to go the way of the Dinosaurs in favor of "Believe All Women"). And guess what? I still stand by my opinion, and I will not be bullied and harassed for it.
You may live in a free country, but Kanzenshuu is neither a country nor your government, and we're under no obligation to put up with this kind of drivel.

You're not being bullied. You're saying absolutely bonkers weird shit (again) out of nowhere (again) and no-one here wants to put up with it (again), so we don't have to and won't.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:12 pm

Zephyr wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:43 pm nice another one of these threads
Please dont say that, I DO NOT condone this thread's descent into butthurt banned asshole madness. This was a thread that was carefully thought out and was not started to repeat shitty rhethoric.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:34 pm

Just remembered Scott McNeil was in Stargate SG-1 and Scooby-Doo 2 Monsters Unleashed.

Granted most people probably wouldn't know the name unless they were fans of animation to begin with but those are some pretty big titles that a previous Dragon Ball cast member has been a part of.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:14 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:04 am I really don't understand how people easily torpedo their careers using social media. No matter what you believe, you should be able to know that those statements are at the very least controversial. Not to mention, using politics is a good way to alienate half of your potential audience in the US.

One of the reasons I'm glad DB stays away from it.
Politics played a big role in the story itself, just subtly. Freeza and his business of pirating planets to sell to the highest bidder was modeled after Japanese land sharks who Toriyama referred to as: "the worst kind of people".
If we're talking about social media while I'm not sure how politically active the JP cast are on social media, the English cast are fairly politically active on social media.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:29 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:04 am I really don't understand how people easily torpedo their careers using social media. No matter what you believe, you should be able to know that those statements are at the very least controversial. Not to mention, using politics is a good way to alienate half of your potential audience in the US.

There's literally no possible way to be "non-political". Ever. At all. Everything you do, say, or don't do and say, has a political meaning or undercurrent. The act of trying to stay away from politics or political discourse is, in and of itself, a political act/statement as well. You might as well try to deny the existence of gravity when you try and make the claim that something or someone can in any way possibly be completely free of anything remotely political.

When you go out and buy groceries at a grocery store? That's because of politics. When you pay taxes or bills? That's because of politics. When you use water from a tap or flush a toilet? That's because of politics. When you take your car out for a drive? That's because of politics. When you choose to vote or to not vote in an election is a political statement. Whether you choose to speak up on a political topic or choose to NOT speak up on a political topic, either way its a political statement your making whether you want it to be one or not.

Society as a construct exists because of politics, and every act you take or don't take and every word you say or don't say has a political meaning or undercurrent, whether you like it or not or whether you want it to or not. Hence, there is no possible way to stay away from politics by sheer nature of existing and living within a society. Saying that you "stay out of politics" is like trying to say you live without breathing air or eating/consuming food and nutrients. Its a bullshit, categorically false statement, whether you realize it or not. Or as someone else once put it succinctly "You might not do politics, but politics will still do you whether you like it or not."

And no, Dragon Ball did not "stay away from politics" either, however intentionally or unintentionally. The "land sharks" element of Freeza's army was already mentioned (correctly so), but I'll go one even further than that: whether it was intentional or not (and likely it was a bit of both most probably), what Toriyama depicted in Freeza and his army - in their actions, their organization, and their ideology - was an inherently fascist military. And in his positioning them as the enemy, as the clear cut evil bad guys (who's fascistic actions are depicted as inherently evil, vicious, and cruel) in opposition to the good guys, Toriyama and Dragon Ball takes on an anti-fascist (and thus inherently political) stance.

You can agree or disagree with that stance, but its there and its unmistakable and impossible to deny the presence of it. Every action they take - committing acts of genocide, land stealing and annexing, ethnic cleansing, all through the arm of a well organized paramilitary under the iron fisted rule of a dynastic/aristocratic family of tyrants and despots who govern their army via fear and brute force - is inherently and definitionally that of a fascist army. Even the very makeup of their army - made up of a wide variety of alien people assimilated into the army via either brute force, fear, or coercion - falls into this banner.

Much the same can also be said of the Red Ribbon Army as well: though their tone is far more comedic/slapstick by comparison to Freeza's army, most of the same key points are still there just the same.

Whether that was Toriyama's conscious intent or not is honestly not particularly relevant either, as that is nonetheless the end result that's there on the page at the end of the day. The depicting of a fascist army - either in a positive or negative light (and Toriyama's depiction is inarguably a negative light) - through his work is an inherently political statement.

And that's not even getting into the whole "Dragon Ball's Earth is under a one unified government rule under a singular world monarch" aspect, which is a whole demented can of worms unto itself.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:01 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:29 pm.

And that's not even getting into the whole "Dragon Ball's Earth is under a one unified government rule under a singular world monarch" aspect, which is a whole demented can of worms unto itself.
And that felt more like Toriyama just making it easy on himself to explain how Piccolo could conquer the world so easily "he only has to overthrow one power" (at least I don't think he established a single monarch ruled the earth until the Daimao arc).

Even still, it's not unreasonable for someone to read into it that Toriyama thinks a monarchy is superior to an democratically elected government with multiple checks and balances.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:41 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:01 pmAnd that felt more like Toriyama just making it easy on himself to explain how Piccolo could conquer the world so easily "he only has to overthrow one power" (at least I don't think he established a single monarch ruled the earth until the Daimao arc).
Again though, that ties into the fact that Toriyama's conscious intent there is basically irrelevant: an accidental political statement is still a political statement nonetheless (and one that in this particular case is fairly batshit deranged and bizarre, but no matter :lol: ), which ties into the fact that you simply cannot exist as a human being in the world and somehow completely avoid politics. Its impossible, and frankly its a stupid, pointless, foolish goal to have in itself.

Politics is how society functions and exists, and even if you were to say "Well fuck society, I'm going to live out in the middle of nowhere on an uninhabited island as a hermit all by my lonesome: Muten Roshi had the right idea", then guess what? In choosing to do so, you still just made a political statement. :lol:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:52 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:29 pm

There's literally no possible way to be "non-political". Ever. At all. Everything you do, say, or don't do and say, has a political meaning or undercurrent. The act of trying to stay away from politics or political discourse is, in and of itself, a political act/statement as well. You might as well try to deny the existence of gravity when you try and make the claim that something or someone can in any way possibly be completely free of anything remotely political.
A lot of anime fans, and media commentators in general, seem to have this misconception of politics as a binary system. To them "politics" in art can only be "there's no deeper meaning or message it's apolitical" or "Captain Planet" beating you over the head with a message. (This isn't directed at anyone in this forum conversation.) When in reality if someone complains about a piece of art being "political" like they're a YouTube centrist they really just don't agree with the message being presented, but don't want to admit it. (Which is their right, but I wish more people would own up and admit to it.)
Even something as simple as the hair color of Super Saiyans was a product of the external politics of creating a weekly manga. Toriyama claimed he made it golden blonde to save time that he or his assistant would have to spend inking the hair black so they could have a more efficient work schedule. Like you said it impacts every aspect of someone's work whether it's within the text itself or not.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:41 pm

I agree with the talk about presented here and ITS ABOUT TIME someone said it... But this was not a thread intended for this purpose. Sure, its a DIRELY needed thing to talk about, the bullshit centrism needs to be called out, but we can make another thread for politics, this was not the purpose of the thread.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:23 am

He's not a celebrity, but the son of Partrick Borg, who dubs adult Goku in the french dub, had a dubbing role in the french dub of Dragon Ball Super.