What DB movie would you show a 10 year old who's seen OG DB twice?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

What DB movie would you show a 10 year old who's seen OG DB twice?

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:25 am

Hey all. My daugther used to watched Dragon Ball with me when she was younger - around 5 years old the first run through, then 7 the next time. We've seen episode one 4-5 times. We also read the entire manga together. She has had a break from it a couple of years now even saying she didn't like it but she's like this activities she likes doing, food she eats et so on. However, she suggested that we watch Dragon Ball together again with the news of Akira Toriyama's passing. Another fictions she's liked greatly is Harry Potter.

She's always prefererd the humor in Dragon Ball over the fighting. To the point that she stopped watching DBZ Kai in the middle of Zarbon vs. Vegeta. From memory she largely preferred DB until it get more serious with the Piccolo Daimaoh saga.

And so because we have seen the start of DB quite a few times, I was thinking to choose a Dragon Ball movie. I'm hoping she will want to watch Daima with me, so I want to choose carefully. Would you go with movie 1, 2, 3, or 4?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What DB movie would you show a 10 year old who's seen OG DB twice?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 am

For my money, Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle. (Movie 2)

Movie 4 was made after Dragon Ball Z and definitely feels somewhat like it was made to appease Z fans by being more action-y complete with Goku screaming and powering up in the climax. Movie 1 rehashes the first arc too closely the two of you are liable to get deja vu. Movie 3 turns into an incoherent mess after Goku gets blasted into Karin tower.

Movie 2 has a lot of that early Dragon Ball comedy and a unique enough story to not feel like "been there, done that"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:56 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 am For my money, Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle. (Movie 2)

Movie 4 was made after Dragon Ball Z and definitely feels somewhat like it was made to appease Z fans by being more action-y complete with Goku screaming and powering up in the climax. Movie 1 rehashes the first arc too closely the two of you are liable to get deja vu. Movie 3 turns into an incoherent mess after Goku gets blasted into Karin tower.

Movie 2 has a lot of that early Dragon Ball comedy and a unique enough story to not feel like "been there, done that"
Thank for your analysis. Makes it easier choosing :)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:33 am

What about the Black Star Dragon Ball arc in GT? Or would it be too spoilery for her knowing Vegeta turned good, married Bulma and be too much of an issue having no context for Goten, Trunks and Oob?

I know it's not ideal because there's a lot of story between Zarbon and the end of Z, but if she didn't mind skipping the Piccolo Diamao arc when you watched Kai then maybe she would be OK with jumping ahead to get to the more adventure-oriented stuff because there's a bit in early GT even if the looming threat of the Earth's destruction makes it a bit more serious.

Granted its not a movie but what about the GT special A Heroes Legacy? Other than the recap it doesn't spoil much from GT and she would get to follow Goku Jr searching for the 4 star Dragon Ball.

Otherwise, if she doesn't mind revisiting material the first and third movies Legend of Shenlong and Mystical Adventure is a nice combo that's a quick way of getting the main points of the first half of original Dragon Ball.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:15 pm

I recommend the big green dub of the og movies the big green dub is know for being it's so bad it's good I thought the only problem is the quality of the films because it's a recording on a TV so that might bring it down

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:39 pm

I think your lil un loves Dragon Ball so much she wont ever really mind any movie you show her. What you should be doing is curate the experience and remember to skip any scary/too violent/sexual stuff.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:53 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:15 pm I recommend the big green dub of the og movies the big green dub is know for being it's so bad it's good I thought the only problem is the quality of the films because it's a recording on a TV so that might bring it down
It's very easy to sync the Big Green dubs to a better source. I just watched the GT special with Dragon Box video last night. Unfortunately it hasn't aged well so the better image quality didn't help, the voices sounded strained or flat and there was a lot of weird pronunciations (although saiyan is pronounced right).

I can enjoy the Big Green dubs, but more as like a novelty or curiosity about a rushed production with scripts directly translated from the French dub. Not an ideal introduction to the series or even as a refresher.

People don't judge a dub solely on the quality of the recording. The Westwood dub has its fair share of supporters (myself included) and we had to put up with terrible VHS rips for years but we still thought the actors did decent jobs.

Also, sangofe's daughter might feel more comfortable watching a French or Norwegian dub (which sadly doesn't leave many options as SF only dubbed Z movies 1-9 and the two TV specials) than English.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: