Dubs you've been actively following

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dubs you've been actively following

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:59 am
Tian wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:52 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:43 am

They made up for having a better dance around death by being more ridiculous in censorship than the Saban era dub in every other aspect.

Goku can't have a halo over his head, it's a ball of light

Vegeta and Nappa can't even eat the cricket aliens of the planet they just conquered they have to eat.. ...blue mushrooms?

Shenron is too scary to show in the opening
Let's not forget the time they accidently left the time code on when Freeza was fooling around with his discs.
Holy shit.

Dragon Ball in America is always doing the most to reach unheard of levels of incompetence
Or when Trunks blasted Freeza after slicing him up in pieces, they added god damn glitter. If I recall correctly, this was the last edit they've done and from there, they just aired it as it was on Nicktoons.
Cell infamously had his crotch colored green.

Which is wild since back in 2000 Saban and Fox Kids had no issue with a crotch monster coming out of a kaiju in Digimon
If this mistake was on a DVD I would also loathe it, but the ratings DBZKai got on The CW more than make up for it lol. I wish Buu Kai and Super got The CW treatment. There I said it.

EDIT: Also it wasnt the last edit on The CW. The CW dub of the Cell Saga completely cut out Android 16 intending to blow himself up with the bomb that Bulma removed from him. In the CW dub he... I dont know what he did instead.

But again, it was worth it. DBZkai had such huge ratings that The CW will never ever see again.

EDIT 2: WHICH REMINDS ME... The CW was planning to air Digimon Adventure but I guess the Crotch Monster was a dealbreaker for them. Ironically the 2nd season of "Digimon Fusion" had a crotch monster on Mervamon who got the "I cant believe its not Spacetoon" edit treatment.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:25 am

Another dub I really want to learn more about, even if we never get to see is the Animax dub of Dragon Ball.

I've still not got any leads on recordings, but I spoke to one person who saw it, and another person who had a friend he's no longer in contact with that saw one episode, both on Discord.

I did get one interesting response on Reddit recently that may give us some clues as to what we can expect should this dub ever surface:
kanasai427 wrote:
The Animax dub of Dragon Ball was what introduced me to the series. In Malaysia where I’m from, most animes are dubbed in Malay, Cantonese or Mandarin. The only English dubs aired then was Pokemon but video stores also sold Digimon which wasn’t the American dub but some poorly produced Southeast Asian dub.

Animax dubs are notorious for being bad but it was slightly better in quality than the Southeast Asian dubs of certain anime. Animax not only helped introduce a variety of anime beyond the usual children series to me but also English dubbed anime.

That said, the Animax Dragon Ball dub was entertaining. It certainly can’t compare with the Funimation dub or even the Ocean dub but for a Malaysian teenager in the late 2000s, it’s good enough.

The script was mostly toned down. Whenever the characters would curse, they would say “Crap!” which was the most common cuss word in Animax English dubs.

As for the voices, from what I can remember, the Animax dub largely followed the Funimation/Ocean dub. Adult Goku was voiced by a guy who tried his best to mimic Sean Schemmel. I forgot what the other characters sounded like but one that sticks in my head was that they replaced Yamcha’s voice about 3/4 into the series.

His voice was changed to a different actor and apparently, that original actor was recasted for a lot of other Animax dubs that were airing around the same time. There aren’t much details and credits on the actors but most Animax dubs were recorded in Hong Kong by English speakers who were mostly American expats.

Almost all of Animax dubs are considered lost media and despite being exposed to more superior dubs, I still reminisce those youthful days and would sometimes search for Animax dubs on YouTube. As cheesy, stilted, or sometimes being double or triple casted the dubs are, they are memorable to me.
We knew about Yamcha's voice actor changing. My source similarly said his friend told him Roshi's perverted scenes were either censored or toned down, but that Mr Popo was left as-is. There was one blog from a Filipino fan talking about the Animax dub at the time saying it was uncut, but it's worth noting this was only after he saw the first episode so there may have indeed been censorship throughout the remaining 152 episodes. For what it's worth though this friend of my source also said the voices were good. The other source I spoke to that has seen this dub recalled enjoying it.

Indeed the above Reddit user is not the only one who says the Animax dub was their introduction to Dragon Ball, which again is always a positive for any dub this series has had. Its just unfortunate not all fans have the luxury of revisiting "the dub" that was their entry point. I feel very lucky good recordings of the Westwood dub were eventually found, and while the existing rips of the Blue Water dubs aren't perfect I am glad I can at least rewatch them, as the Animax dub shows, there was always a possibility an English dub that never got an official release after its initial broadcast could become lost, even if its 153 or more episodes aired on a good timeslot in various countries.

In terms of accuracy Dave Bridges told me Animax dubs are always translated from the Japanese version, so as he was adult Goku hopefully his statement holds true for the Animax dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

If this mistake was on a DVD I would also loathe it, but the ratings DBZKai got on The CW more than make up for it lol. I wish Buu Kai and Super got The CW treatment. There I said
But again, it was worth it. DBZkai had such huge ratings that The CW will never ever see again.
As tame as Super was it might as well have aired on a kids network instead of trying to pretend it was a teen/young adult show on Adult swim

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 pm As tame as Super was it might as well have aired on a kids network instead of trying to pretend it was a teen/young adult show on Adult swim
It aired on a kids network in the UK and got much better ratings in 2019 than Kai did in 2013 despite a further decline in traditional TV viewership.

Nicktoons and the CW likely lost the broadcasting rights after Kai, had they renewed them they probably would have aired Super. I'd imagine whenever Cartoon Network got the rights to air Super in 2016 they held on to them with an iron fist and chose to run on Adult Swim for consistency with Kai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: