"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:54 am

It must have been years since the last time read a full chapter of the manga, and I can still say that I don't like Toyotaro's art, especially the way he draws the characters with a youthful appearance and their hair.

Anyway, Goku vs. Gohan was interesting in the clear (and obvious) aspect that Goku has more combat experience, while Gohan has more raw power. Broly managing to gain control of his SSJ form was good, but it's a shame we didn't see much of it in action. The same goes for Vegeta, who didn't use Ultra Ego against Gohan. I didn't understand why Goten and Trunks fought Broly in their base forms; if he wasn't holding back, he could have torn them apart in an instant.

Goku forgetting about Pan is outrageous, akin to the anime counterpart forgetting the senzu beans in the bathroom before a battle, but at least there, he had some cute moments with his granddaughter.

In conclusion, this can't be the end of the Super story (manga) precisely because of the existence of Black Freeza. I hope this break allows Toyotaro to find a way to wrap everything up in a dignified manner, whether he chooses to connect or move forward after EoZ.

HulkTySSJ5 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:54 am So... this is it?...
My friend Toyble actually OWNS Dragon Ball now?!
No, if I could guess a name it would be Akio Iyoku, the guy responsible for rehashes we had these years.
Jack Bz wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:38 am It's really going to be difficult to be fully invested in any Dragon Ball product that didn't have his direct involvement. Really hoping there's one final Toriyama/Toyotaro collab on the horizon.
The thing is that we really got used to this norm, but if that was really the case, people wouldn't care about 13 Z Movies and GT.
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:19 pm I'm probably going to continue reading, but mostly just out of curiosity to see how the series turns out.
Funny, that could be said to any material related to this franchise :)
TKA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:10 pm But I look at that cover and this is not Dragonball, man. This is Dragonball AF. We already have the writer of a Dragonball AF.
Yeah, cause that's Dragon Ball, for sure lol
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:43 pm To that end, I think a continuing story will likely be drawn more and more towards the following, the longer it goes on...
You know it would be nice to actually read your thoughts on this rather than asking ChatGPT to generate a response on the matter.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:16 am

Iyoku seemed like he was going to change strategy about Dragon Ball for the next few years. If they continue, let's hope that's so. I'm not sure Toyotaro will be able to continue if he goes into a depression tbh...

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:33 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:54 am
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:43 pm To that end, I think a continuing story will likely be drawn more and more towards the following, the longer it goes on...
You know it would be nice to actually read your thoughts on this rather than asking ChatGPT to generate a response on the matter.
Those were my own thoughts. But if you mean to say that you would consider it more worthwhile if I commented with my opinions on whether such conservative/remixing trends would necessarily be a bad thing for Dragon Ball Super's narrative quality in the event of it continuing for an extended period without Akira Toriyama's input, then I can attempt to elucidate, but basically I'm in two minds about it, and the quandary centres around how much, and what kind of, Toriyama input might be required to make Dragon Ball Super (a) good in the execution and (b) "Dragon Ball" enough to feel authentically of a piece with his World, without yet having actually seen what Super might have to offer in a post-Toriyama world. In such circumstances, each fan would have to answer for themselves on that score.

We're seeing takes from users in this topic saying that Dragon Ball is effectively over for them - and that's fair enough, I respect the take, I'm not going to say it's "wrong" - but when I think about what is known about the story-crafting process and Toriyama's involvement in Super so far, much of his contribution seems to have come at the top of any arc (draft story outlines and specific plot points, character concepts and designs, worldbuilding and background), and a relatively small amount of continuing input as the story is actually executed (seemingly, mostly storyboard checking). At that level of contribution, would a hypothetical Super arc that makes liberal use of Toriyama's published oeuvre (e.g., a hypothetical Neko Majin arc - the published miniseries has fully worked-out designs and characters, worldbuilding concepts and a very broad basic outline concept for a new story to get plotted out in) really have a less "authentic" or "meaningful" contribution from him than what we've seen in Super so far? If "yes", then why would it be less so? What about such an arc would have less Toriyama input than, say, the Moro arc? I struggle to articulate what the practical, concrete contributory difference would be in those terms, for me, given the restrained nature of Toriyama's involvement in Super when compared with Dragon Ball's original run. They were never the same kind of beast, but that hasn't stopped the creation of basically decent-to-good story content that belongs just as much to his World as the original.

Moreover, adapting and remixing previously established Dragon Ball elements to tell its current stories has kind of been Super's bread-and-butter for a good while now (perhaps always); it has generally been quite effective in doing so in my opinion - overall, the manga has done so skilfully and meaningfully enough that its connection with previous content is a legitimate part of its storytelling craft and its ongoing appeal for me, rather than just being empty nostalgia bait. And there's plenty of other Toriyama material that could be enjoyably adapted for a new story arc or two if done competently. Being slightly more conservative and derivative about its story concepts than it has been so far, isn't necessarily going to tank Super's narrative quality on the page. The only real qualm is just how long it could convincingly be maintained - I don't think such a product would have more than a couple of arcs in it. But then again, I didn't think Super had more than a couple of arcs left in it anyway. I feel that there's plenty of raw material around that could be used for Super to have perfectly serviceable - even perfectly serviceable, arguably (for want of a better phrase) Toriyama-contribution-loaded - stories. On the face of it, then, the practical challenge doesn't seem totally insuperable and there's no reason it couldn't continue well enough for a while - on the manga's publication schedule, even just 2 arcs would likely be 3 or 4 years of content. Really, it's all in the execution. And for Super, it's always worth remembering that however much input he had at the conceptual stage, the execution stage has always been almost entirely in other hands than Toriyama's.

That said, storytelling is more than just the sum of its parts, and - more than designs, or plot ideas, or whatever else - a hypothetical ongoing Super series will fundamentally miss less 'concrete' qualities than these, like Toriyama's particular way of seeing things in his storytelling: his gleefully silly contrarianism and mischievous 'cut-through', for instance, or his knack for taking an idea, building it up and then going a step further and stripping it down to something deceptively simple, visually effective, and packed with amusing and immediately intelligible and relatable foibles, or even the sheer fact of being comfortable enough to just "play" with the established "rules" of his World. It's fair to say that this highly individual "spark" is as much a part of "Dragon Ball" as any amount of raw content that could be enlisted for use in a storyline. Moreover, being actually present to react and give feedback into something concrete is an important part of the process; who can say just how much poorer the Moro arc would be without the suggestion that Merus be an Angel? Just how spare was the Granolah arc as a pitch, before the Heeters got added as a concept (whether you like them or not)? While it's perfectly possible to replicate and adapt Toriyama's oeuvre, it's much harder to try to mimic his basic storytelling insight. And that's why I sympathise with those who say they're done now and who don't believe that something authentically "Dragon Ball" could be convincingly carried off anymore, even if I'm not ready to say I feel that way, just yet.

My opinion is that it could theoretically be done relatively well in sheer craft terms, according to the schema I described in my earlier post, if it's well enough conceived from what's there to be used. It'd probably be quite "safe" and hyper-aware of the legacy on which it's treading, but that in and of itself wouldn't necessarily make it wholly inferior to what Super had done so far. But it would be tricky to carry off, certainly more so the longer it goes on, and the awareness that Toriyama is no longer there to contribute his insight would be at the forefront of the minds of fans and (critically) the creative team alike. Considering that, I think that there being the will to continue Super, and a genuine belief within the creative team that they can continue to do it justice, should be more determinative of whether Super continues rather than whether or not there's enough promising, authentic content that could be used in order to do so. If the belief's not there anymore, then the project's fundamentally compromised no matter what they use, and they should just pack it in.

Hopefully that articulates my thoughts more fully, for you.

Or alternatively, if you were never really interested in any of that and your intention was simply to dish out drive-by snark for no obvious reason, then you can have the thought that randomly disparaging other members just to rag on them for having the temerity to post an innocuous comment on a message board is just a smidgen dickish, and does not look at all as mad kewl as you apparently think it does.

Whichever response you prefer.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:37 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:33 pm Those were my own thoughts...
I don't know, something felt iffy about topics in list and some generic use of words, but if was not the case, then I stand corrected.
Hopefully that articulates my thoughts more fully, for you.
Thanks for elaborating further. I partially agree with you in the sense that future materials may struggle to remain compelling without Toriyama's touch. While Toei can replicate Dragon Ball in a way that sometimes even exceeds the quality of the original author's work, they also have many shortcomings regarding characterizations, storylines, and so on. However, this doesn't mean that Toriyama is infallible. In my opinion, "Resurrection F" (2015) and "Super Hero" (2022) are poor films because they recycle concepts from past stories. I'm not sure to what extent these films involve Akio Iyoku (the editor working for Shueisha who is often rumored to be responsible for old themes and characters returning throughout the exhibition of Dragon Ball Super). But if the storyline is always credited to Akira Toriyama, then I believe he bears the greatest responsibility for this. "Broly" (2018) was a decent film because it used concepts initially conceived by Toei with Toriyama's touch, even though with some controversial alterations, poor power scaling, and excessive fan service. So, I think this "mix" would have been the way forward if he unfortunately hadn't passed away.

I honestly don't know what to expect going forward. Could it be "bad" with Toriyama? Perhaps, but it will certainly be much worse without him.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:43 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:54 am
TKA wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:10 pm But I look at that cover and this is not Dragonball, man. This is Dragonball AF. We already have the writer of a Dragonball AF.
Yeah, cause that's Dragon Ball, for sure lol
A bunch of goofy looking characters that fits Toriyama's aesthetic and also fall into his trope of introducing characters in groups? Yeah, that's Dragonball.

But even ignoring all that, since Toriyama added the Heaters, they're as dragonball as you can get, and are more dragonball that anything that is made going forward.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:26 am

Noah wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:54 amYeah, cause that's Dragon Ball, for sure lol
Yes, it is. If characters are introduced in groups, it's Dragon Ball. If characters are not introduced in groups, it's Dragon Ball AF. It's a well-known rule of thumb of this franchise.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:27 pm

According to Manga Plus, the manga will go on a break next month and will return on May.

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:29 pm

Interesting. Maybe in April, an Interval Special, or some other Editorial Piece? Akira Toriyama's birthday was in April, so it might be fitting (and there would no doubt be the desire) to spend that month giving a closer focus.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:04 pm

Trouser wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:13 pm It's perfect time to end the Super's manga.

If they want to milk the franchise more, they can start a new series so people would know when Toriyama's story ended.
It would be a great time to end it here. Maybe Toyotaro can begin writing his own story outside of the Dragon Ball brand. It would be great to see him grow as a real creative like this.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:01 am

According to MANGA Plus, the series was previously scheduled to resume in May but no longer is displayed as such, it's now under indefinite hiatus.

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:03 am

I want to mention this maybe Goku didn't forget who Pan was. Maybe the joke was that Goku thought Piccolo was going to get bread.

Bread in Spanish = pan

Sometimes jokes gets lost in a translation or doesn't make sense in some languages.
People that knows two or more languages understand this.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:02 am

Anybody noticed how Gohan suddenly has 6 fingers in one panel of this month's chapter?
The world is your's.

Salt-sensei

Post by Salt-sensei » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:00 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:03 am I want to mention this maybe Goku didn't forget who Pan was. Maybe the joke was that Goku thought Piccolo was going to get bread.

Bread in Spanish = pan
Pan is also bread in Japanese, so assuming this is a joke lost in translation isn't that big of a stretch.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:44 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:01 am According to MANGA Plus, the series was previously scheduled to resume in May but no longer is displayed as such, it's now under indefinite hiatus.

Yeah Herms confirms the official DB site doesn't even know.

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1770 ... _&ref_url=

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:42 pm

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:03 am

Miracles wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:42 pm https://twitter.com/SupaChronicles/stat ... _&ref_url=

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1770 ... 00/photo/1

Toriyama heavily involved in the Super Hero arc. Toyotaro did the Super Hero arc prequel.
He did a good job with this prequel

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:54 pm

Alkiser wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:03 am
Miracles wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:42 pm https://twitter.com/SupaChronicles/stat ... _&ref_url=

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1770 ... 00/photo/1

Toriyama heavily involved in the Super Hero arc. Toyotaro did the Super Hero arc prequel.
He did a good job with this prequel
I think so too. Even tho I don't care for slice of life.