The most unrealistic idea I've ever had - a DBZ animated movie quadrilogy

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

The most unrealistic idea I've ever had - a DBZ animated movie quadrilogy

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:55 pm

And before you say "It already exists. Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Broly and Super Hero." That's not what I mean. I mean that this quadrilogy would be an animated re-adaptation of the Z portion of Dragon Ball. Saiyans, Freeza, Cell, Boo. Think less "revival era DB movies", more "Dragon Ball Kai if it was good".

Now then, Chikashi Kubota, who animated that amazing beginning of Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero, would be returning for this movie, as well as Naohiro Shintani from Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Norihito Sumitomo would be coming back as the composer for this film too, despite having departed with DBS Broly. This first film is a Saiyan arc retelling. Also note that the terms here are also biased towards the Japanese version, although the FUNimation cast remains intact. The one difference is that Tiffany Vollmer plays Bulma again, Stephanie Nadolny plays kid Goku, while Colleen Clinkenbeard still plays kid Gohan.

It starts off with the Toei Animation, Shueisha, and Bird Studio logo appearing on screen before a black background, and then fades into Cha-La Head-Cha-La. Then the narration starts, as footage from the original Dragon Ball plays. Here is the dialogue...

Son Goku: Hey, it's me, Goku! You might know who I am already. Destroyed the Red Ribbon Army.
Killed Piccolo Daimao. Image
Beat his reincarnation and became the Number One Under the Heavens! Image
I even have a son, too! Image

Life was goin' great...until HE arrived.

Raditz Arrives
Raditz: You are not a human from this planet. You were born on Planet Vegeta. You are a proud Saiyan, the mightiest warrior race in the universe!
Son Goku: Saiyan...?!
Raditz: And I am your brother, RADITZ!

(several cuts to iconic moments from the Saiyan arc, including the fight with Raditz, Goku and Raditz's deaths, Gohan's training, the arrival of Nappa and Vegeta, Yamcha dying to the Saibaiman, Chiaotzu blowing himself up, Tenshinhan's last Kikoho, Piccolo's sacrifice, and Goku and Vegeta fighting, before finally cutting away to their beam struggle)

Piccolo: MAKANKOSAPPO!
Chiaotzu: Goodbye, Tenshinhan...
Nappa: DIE!
Piccolo: This last year I spent with you wasn't bad...don't die.
Son Gohan: MASENKO...HAAAAAAA!!!
Nappa: I'm gonna crush you, Kakarot!
Son Goku: Even a low class like me can surpass an elite if he trains hard enough.
Vegeta: (echoing voice) Even if you spare yourself, the Earth will be blown to pieces!
Son Goku: (simultaneously) KA...ME...HA...ME...
Vegeta: Let you and the Earth together turn to SPACE DUUUUUUUST!!!
Son Goku: HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

(the two fire their beams, and when they connect, you get the logo drop of the movie.

In theaters [insert random date here], with the voice cast below.)

Voice Cast: Sean Schemmel, Christopher Sabat, Justin Cook, John Burgmeier, Stephanie Nadolny, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Tiffany Vollmer, Phil Parsons, Sonny Strait, Mike McFarland, Cynthia Cranz

(final cut to Son Goku)

Son Goku: Be sure not to miss it!

EDIT: My apologies for the broken image links. If someone could fix them, please do
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: The most unrealistic idea I've ever had - a DBZ animated movie quadrilogy

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:15 am

Why just do Raditz-Boo? That's only the second half of the story. I like Kai but felt everything that came before Raditz deserved more than the brief recap it got.

Anyways I've been a proponent of a Dragon Ball remake for a while, but I think a series would be better than movies.

People have also been conditioned to see the original anime series or the first 16 volumes of the manga as an "optional comedic prequel". A reboot offers a fresh chance to present the whole story in one neat package.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:59 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:15 am Why just do Raditz-Boo? That's only the second half of the story. I like Kai but felt everything that came before Raditz deserved more than the brief recap it got.

Anyways I've been a proponent of a Dragon Ball remake for a while, but I think a series would be better than movies.

People have also been conditioned to see the original anime series or the first 16 volumes of the manga as an "optional comedic prequel". A reboot offers a fresh chance to present the whole story in one neat package.
You know what? You're right. I think Dragon Ball could work as a movie quadrilogy, just like Z. One movie for the Hunt for the Dragon Balls and 21st Budokai, one for the Red Ribbon Army and 22nd Budokai, one for Piccolo Daimao, and one for the 23rd Budokai.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:15 am Why just do Raditz-Boo? That's only the second half of the story. I like Kai but felt everything that came before Raditz deserved more than the brief recap it got.

Yes, present the story under strict censorhip rules and removing all of Kame Sennin's humor. As well as removing all middle fingers and blood. I know some people want that, but I'm not one of those.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

I made a Freeza arc trailer.

You get the deal - Sumitomo's music, Chikashi Kubota, Ryo Onishi, Naotoshi Shida, Naoki Tate and Yuya Takahashi's animation, along with Naohiro Shintani still being the animation supervisor. (this time featuring Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru) Toei, Shueisha and Bird Studio's logos. Here's the animation. This time, instead of Cha-La Head-Cha-La, it's M816, from when Goku became a Super Saiyan

Super Saiyan Son Goku: You still haven't figured it out yet?

(a flash of Freeza killing Cargo)

Super Saiyan Son Goku: I'm the warrior you've heard of in legends.

(a flash of Vegeta angrily flying to the Dragon Team for stealing his Dragon Ball)

Super Saiyan Son Goku: Pure of heart...

(short footage of the Ginyu Force doing their poses)

Super Saiyan Son Goku: And awakened by fury. That's what I am.

(footage of 2nd Form Freeza stabbing Kuririn and torturing Gohan, 3rd Form Freeza blasting Piccolo with Death Beams, Freeza killing Dende and Vegeta, blasting a hole through Piccolo's chest, and finally killing Kuririn. The agonizing screams of all 5 of them can be heard echoing, with Kuririn screaming "GOKU!" and exploding being the final one)

Super Saiyan Son Goku: I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!!

(footage of Super Saiyan Goku and Freeza's fight, with all the iconic scenes featured in it. It ends with Goku doing the "YOU FOOL!" scene, and looking down sadly at Freeza, as the song fades out.)

(the title drop once again. Dragon Ball Z: Showdown Against the Emperor of the Universe, with another date given)

Voice Cast shown on screen: Sean Schemmel, Christopher Sabat, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Sonny Strait, R. Bruce Elliott, (Captain Ginyu) Greg Ayres, Maxey Whitehead, John Swasey, (Dodoria) Bill Jenkins, (the Great Elder) and Daman Mills (Freeza)

Unlike the anime, there would be no Fake Namek, Bulma and Ginyu switching bodies or random cutaways to Earth shenanigans. If they managed to create this sequel, I'd love to see how they compress everything from Freeza saying that Namek will explode in 5 minutes, they managed to compress Freeza powering up to 100%, Goku doing the "YOU MEAN KURIRIN?!" scene, Porunga being summoned and everyone being sent to Earth, Freeza getting sliced in half, and the planet exploding into 5 minutes. And before the 5 minutes are up, Goku is seen entering one of the Ginyu Force ships and leaving before the planet explodes. The after-credits scene sees Goku putting on the Yardrat outfit and beginning to learn Teleportation.