The Super Saiyan God prophecy in the future timelines

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

The Super Saiyan God prophecy in the future timelines

Post by Yuji » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:14 pm

We are meant to believe the Oracle Fish prophecies are absolute. Considering the original SSG prophecy is made before the timelines split, this means it was made in the Trunks and Cell timelines as well. If so, who does Beerus fight, or when? Beerus eventually ends up dying (at least in Trunks', no idea about Cell's) and there's no SSG showing up at the specified timeframe (which should be somewhere around where future Gohan dies).

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The Super Saiyan God prophecy in the future timelines

Post by Rafa Fast » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:39 pm

What if he actually never woke up or took longer to wake up in these timelines? (Just a hypothesis, not sure if it was really mandatory for him to wake up during the BoG period)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:08 pm

It seems that, in Dragon Ball, history is already written. Oracle Fish "predicted" Beerus would fight because it was predetermined. Trunks/Cell going to that timeline was supposed to happen. In the timelines where Trunks/Cell didn't appear, Oracle Fish didn't have any premonition at all.

Well, that's what I think. And it is supported by the fact that Trunks didn't know Beerus until he traveled to the present once again, which obviously means he never showed up in his timeline when he was supposed to (AGE 778, that's two years before Gohan's death).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:17 pm

The trouble is, Although we know alternate timelines are only created when there is a sufficiently large paradox and not just any time travel backwards, this would cause problems.

If we assume any timeline where it's not possible, the fish doesn't make the prediction that'd mean the prophecies addition (or removal) would change the timeline before the time travel that caused that took place.

In other words Beerus only slept when he did, for as long as he did, because he got the prophecy. His staying asleep or staying up and destroying whole planets and doing his job would fork the timelines an additional time but it didn't....

I think it's funnier to assume the fish is wrong everywhere else, and it's touted accuracy is just confirmation bias in the new main timeline
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.