What if Ultimate Uncut Edition DVD continued?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PowerPhantom245

What if Ultimate Uncut Edition DVD continued?

Post by PowerPhantom245 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:24 am

In 2006, Funimation abruptly canceled the Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Uncut Edition DVD (which covers first 67 episodes of Z in uncut/original version), in favor of infamous "Orange Brick" Season Set DVD that came out following year of 2007.

I'm curious how home video market in North America would have been different had Funimation didn't cancelled the release and finished 67 episodes? Would we have gotten Orange Brick after or went straight to Dragon Box DVD?

Here's the release schedule we got (DVD consists 3 episodes per volume)
2005 - Volume 1~6 (Episode 1~18); Volume 1 Vegeta Saga I had box release with figure of Goku with space to put 7 volumes
2006 - Volume 7~9 (Episode 19~27); Volume 8 Vegeta Saga II had box release with figure of Vegeta with space to put 5(?) volumes

From the looks of it, it seems Funimation were focusing on 5~6 DVD releases a year, similar to previous individual DVD releases.
If Funimation followed their original plan, here's how it might have looked like.
Since there are 67 episodes / 3 episodes per volume (one volume (probably 22) needs be 4 episodes), there should be 22 volumes.

2005 - same as above
2006 - Volume 7~12 (Episode 19~36; Vegeta Saga technically end at 35 but 36 works as epilogue; Vegeta Saga II box would complete)
2007 - Volume 13~17 (Episode 37~51); Volume 13 might get box set release (Namek Saga I) with Piccolo figure
2008 - Volume 18~22 (Episode 52~67); Volume 18 might get box set release (Namek Saga II) with Frieza base form figure).

Even if it wasn't 5 volumes per year releases, where they could push down to 3~4, they could finish by 2010.
I know this is bit of stretch, but it would have been interesting to see all 291 uncut episodes comprised of 92 volumes (70 + 22) on shelf.
It would have been extremely hard to collect for new comers though, since most individuals release started to become OOP back then.

What do you guys think?
Do you think Funimation should have finished UUE DVD?
Was Orange Brick DVD, despite its flaw, was inevitable and UUE DVD was already doomed?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: What if Ultimate Uncut Edition DVD continued?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 pm

I don't know how the Dragon Box came to be and whether or not it had anything to do with the success of the orange bricks. If not, then we would have just gotten the Dragon Boxes. If the Dragon Boxes were a result of the orange bricks' success, I don't think we would've gotten the Dragon Boxes nor orange bricks and Funimation would go straight into the Blu-ray market.

I do believe that the post-Ultimate Uncut release would see more episodes per disc because that's just the way of the world. I also feel like the Blu-rays would be in 16:9 right off the bat because something pushed them for that format in 2007, so I think those factors would still exist. And then there would be Kai and the rest of history would unfold as it did.

I wish they did finish the Ultimate Uncut line. They weren't perfect, but definitely had perks. Including the Latin American dub was awesome and I'm really bummed out that they never included it again. They never even included the Latin American dub on Funimation/Crunchyroll. Wouldn't sting so badly if they actually released more than a fraction of the episodes with it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm

They probably should have at least finished their release of the Vegeta saga since it would have just been 4 more volumes anyways and then release the Namek saga as a single boxset.
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 pm . They weren't perfect, but definitely had perks. Including the Latin American dub was awesome and I'm really bummed out that they never included it again. They never even included the Latin American dub on Funimation/Crunchyroll. Wouldn't sting so badly if they actually released more than a fraction of the episodes with it.
I've always felt the Blue Bricks for the original Dragon Ball should have included a Latin American dub audio option since they didn't need to make room for a "English dub with U.S broadcast score" option like Z and GT

Would still be a great feature to include if Crunchymation ever got their heads out of their asses and gave original Dragon Ball a blu-ray release

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm Would still be a great feature to include if Crunchymation ever got their heads out of their asses and gave original Dragon Ball a blu-ray release
And for it to even be good, they'd have to outsource it to companies with people who actually care, since they clearly don't want to do a good job all the way.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm Would still be a great feature to include if Crunchymation ever got their heads out of their asses and gave original Dragon Ball a blu-ray release
I would even settle for them making it an audio option for their streaming service. Hey, maybe it's getting better. They used to separate the sub and dub and now you can just toggle between audio tracks like every other streaming service--that's pretty innovative lol