Frieza's role more obvious than it seems

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Frieza's role more obvious than it seems

Post by Alkiser » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:55 pm

I think it's not surprising that Toriyama brought Frieza back to life, after all, after 28 Tenkaichi Budokai takes place the action of another manga by Akira Toriyama Neko Majin where the son of Emperor Kuriza makes his debut. From this manga it also appears that Frieza is alive and Vegeta is working for him again. If one takes the Neko Majin manga seriously then it is already clear why Toriyama brought back the character of Frizer, to justify the sense of the events of the Neko Majin manga which takes place after Toriyama's original DB manga.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Frieze's role more obvious than it seems

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:08 pm

We don't know if Toriyama's intentions were that. And given how things have played out so far, I don't think it was. There has been no allusion whatsoever toward that intention/role.

I do hope Shueisha try to incorporate most of the stuff from Neko Majin eventually, though. It would be a huge waste of opportunity and a mistake if that manga is never adapted and its content fades into oblivion. Kuriza is quite literally the only thing that could make Freeza's comeback relevant and interesting.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:08 pm

Neko Majin deserves better than to ever be intentionally tied to Super.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:23 pm

Vegeta was working for Freeza in Neko Majin. I don't know why would EOZ Vegeta would want to work for Freeza?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:20 pm

Freeza: "Vegeta-san, I'm afraid that I noticed in your union contract that i totally fixed that I still have a legal right to compel you to perform several projects for me before you are freed from your contract. If you do not perform these duties, I'm afraid that my legal team will have to fine you a hefty fee."

Vegeta: "Shit..."

There you go, perfect explanation for why Vegeta is working for Freeza again.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:03 am

I'm pretty sure he brought back Frieza simply because he knew that the average Super watcher is a nostalgic 1990s fan who wants to relive the villains of their childhood, which is why he also decided to bring back Broly and Cell.

I don't think he had any particular plan for Frieza besides milking the nostalgia dry.

It's now been almost 2 years since Black Frieza was unveiled and he has done absolutely nothing, btw. Yet people keep talking about Black Frieza. The nostalgia of the Namek saga is just that strong, Toriyama was a genius.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:16 pm

I mean...Freeza had the coldest pull up in DragonBall history--it's not surprising that people still talk about Black Freeza.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Frieza's role more obvious than it seems

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:48 pm

It would be the most bitterly hilarious irony if, after all his wonderful character development and struggle, Vegeta's ultimate fate is to end up exactly where he started, a space pirate unwillingly serving Freeza, his pride in absolute tatters - his very belated punishment. Neko Majin Z may be a parody manga but I'd honestly like to see a semi-serious take on this plot thread.

I don't know if Vegeta's cameo in Neko Majin Z was meant to be deliberately confusing, or if Toriyama was trying to fall back on some nostalgic image of Vegeta for the sake of a joke. But then, it's not like we've ever seen Vegeta directly toadying for Freeza, even in his first appearance, so maybe it's meant to be absurd on that level, it's hard to tell when there are only shitty scanlations online. Whatever the case, I'm definitely overthinking it :lol:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:07 pm

Bulma: "Seriously Vegeta, get a job."

Freeza: "Ah, Vegeta-san. I am in need of a babysitter."

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:20 am

Kaboom wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:08 pm Neko Majin deserves better than to ever be intentionally tied to Super.
This, and we already have an existing template for that to boot.

Just make it like the Doctor Slump episode- An unapologetically zany love letter.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:47 am

Majin Buu wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:20 am
Kaboom wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:08 pm Neko Majin deserves better than to ever be intentionally tied to Super.

Just make it like the Doctor Slump episode- An unapologetically zany love letter.
I would have absolutely loved this. I always felt Toriyama had a bit of resentment for Vegeta's popularity, and his final, greatest humiliation in Neko Majin was a perfect sendoff.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:47 am
Majin Buu wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:20 am

I would have absolutely loved this. I always felt Toriyama had a bit of resentment for Vegeta's popularity, and his final, greatest humiliation in Neko Majin was a perfect sendoff.
If you read one of the site's most recent translated interviews from Toriyama (the one posted after his passing) he mentions that he never understood Vegeta's popularity. He also mentioned purposely giving him a "stupid hairline", or something to that effect.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:21 pm

I don't think Toriyama had that in mind at all haha.

But honestly I'd like to see these tiny things slowly incorporated into canon.

I'd like to see some stuff from db Online's lore as well, we already have Tien with a Dojo and Gohan investigating about bugs that turn super Saiyan lol.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: