Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Daima (2024)

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 am

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:49 am
sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:45 am Broly was made really interesting, why can't Shin work? Besides, there's a lot of potentially great black story coming from him m
Well, it was a different case. Broly was a character created by Toei reworked into canon by Toriyama.
Shin is a character created by Toriyama from the get-go that so far has a terrible track record of usefulness. And I just don't mean in fighting, I mean general usefulness. I genuinely can't remember a single thing this guy has ever done, be it in the original or Super, that was worthwhile.

I will give praise if they do him justice, but I'm not holding my hopes up.
Even if the premise is different it could still work. And I mean back story, not black story.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:21 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 am Even if the premise is different it could still work. And I mean back story, not black story.
We'll see. Despite my grievances, I'm hoping for the best.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:17 am

I agree with AliTheZombie that I don't think Shin is interesting enough to be a co-lead. He's a pretty thin character. That's not a bad thing, he's FUNCTIONAL i.e telling the heroes of Majin Boo, expanding on the lore by being the Kaio above Dai Kaio. He's useful for narrative purposes, but that does not make an interesting character worth co-leading a series.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:03 am

I really hope that Goten and Trunks doesn't stay as baby the entire Dragon Ball Daima. It doesn't make sense why they are the only one to go from teenagers to babies.

They look younger than Maron as a baby.

Everyone else got turned into a teenager or kid.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:46 pm

Great video with information about Daima: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvSOO2w ... llyNotMark

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:23 pm

I super glad to see that sixteen episodes are already finished. The more that they have finished, the better the production will be. It'll be very interesting to see how long this series goes on.

I'm also really interested in hearing about the plot. There's going to be an oppressed group featured in the story? That's my bread and butter!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:44 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:23 pm I'm also really interested in hearing about the plot. There's going to be an oppressed group featured in the story? That's my bread and butter!
Bring on the Imegga remake, baby.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:37 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:44 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:23 pm I'm also really interested in hearing about the plot. There's going to be an oppressed group featured in the story? That's my bread and butter!
Bring on the Imegga remake, baby.
Yes, but lean into the anti-capitalism and make everyone queer, too lol

(Need to see Gokuu fight Redict again, please)
She/Her
bisexual milf

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:01 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:46 pm Great video with information about Daima: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvSOO2w ... llyNotMark
I feel like that video all but proves that people just chose to forget how shitty Super looked even during the supposed "better years."

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:17 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:01 pm I feel like that video all but proves that people just chose to forget how shitty Super looked even during the supposed "better years."
I wouldn't care about the shitty animation of Super if the story made up for it.
ALAS, neither the animation nor the writing were worthy of any praise.
In the last arcs of Super, the animation got a little better, but the writing was still garbage.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm

It's a visual medium, good visual work is important in adapting screenplays to the screen. We need to think about the stages past the scripting stage as just as important if not more so in, and as an extension of the writing process. That Super continued to suffer even in its later days proves that producers need to do their jobs better in supporting the creative staff in not only having a good work-life balance, but in having the time and resources to create exciting works of art.
She/Her
bisexual milf

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:46 pm

Yeah, I've seen some fan artists redraw stills from Super in the style of Z, and maybe it's just nostalgia, but the Z style looks so much better to me. At least when it comes to the show. The movies looked good. Usually. As for the writing, at least it's not GT. GT is painful for me to watch. Super is a mass of missed opportunities, while GT is just boring and makes no sense.

Still enjoying the Super manga, though. And while I have my reservations about Daima, I expect it will be fun at least.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:25 am

Oh boy do I hope that Daima won't have any terrible asspulls like pretty much everything about Super Perfect Cell.

Hopefully Daima aligns more with Super than Z in terms of writing.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:25 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:25 am Oh boy do I hope that Daima won't have any terrible asspulls like pretty much everything about Super Perfect Cell.

The worst writing, asspulls and resolution in the entirety of the franchise comes from the Goku Black arc (especially the anime)

Outside of that the DBS anime arcs don't even try to do anything interesting in terms of writing, wow two tournaments where Goku gets to fight 2 new "Tien-likes" how exciting! :roll:

UI's reveal in the anime is a spectacle but is an asspull, meanwhile in the manga it's extremely underwhelming and Goku needing guidance from Roshi, a character he surpassed decades ago is dumb.

Toyotarou's DBS manga exclusive arcs read like terrible fan fiction.

Broly is nothing really impressive writing wise and retcons the manga.

Super Hero was fun, but Beast Gohan and Cell Max made sure to ruin that in the movie's 3rd act.

I have no idea why you want Daima to be saddled with Super's subpar writing.

Anyway it's pretty obvious that Daima will feel more like pre-Z Dragon Ball fused with Dragon Quest / Blue Dragon.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:37 am

The Monkey King wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:25 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:25 am Oh boy do I hope that Daima won't have any terrible asspulls like pretty much everything about Super Perfect Cell.

The worst writing, asspulls and resolution in the entirety of the franchise comes from the Goku Black arc (especially the anime)
Nah. Pretty much nothing in Super comes close to the utter nonsense that was:

"Hey guys, somehow the nucleus inside my skull wasn't destroyed when Goku vaporized my skull, thanks Piccolo! Also somehow I am back in my Perfect form even though I don't have 18 anymore lol. Also somehow I learned how to use IT because lol."

But that's alright, I don't expect Daima to have Late Z-level writing. Unlike the Cell and Buu saga, Daima seems like a storyline that has actual planning behind it.
Anyway it's pretty obvious that Daima will feel more like pre-Z Dragon Ball fused with Dragon Quest / Blue Dragon.
Well, then it will be much closer to Super in terms of writing (whimsical, light-hearted, doesn't take itself too seriously) than the Cell saga (melodramatic, edgy, sanctimonious).

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 pm

Hopefully, it aligns more with the original (or the Pre-Saiyan sagas for manga purists) in terms of writing.
Both were terrible, but crying out that something else was more terrible than Super does not negate the fact that Super itself had a lot of issues that we don't want to have ever again.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:54 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 pm

Hopefully, it aligns more with the original (or the Pre-Saiyan sagas for manga purists) in terms of writing.
Both were terrible, but crying out that something else was more terrible than Super does not negate the fact that Super itself had a lot of issues that we don't want to have ever again.
It at least looks like it's going for pre-Daimao Dragon Ball flavor. We'll see though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:00 pm

I hope Daima is a seering satire of American inperialism or the abuse found in the manga industry. Something like the Freeza's real-estate satire taken to the next level.
She/Her
bisexual milf

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:05 pm

AliTheZombie13 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 pm

The only objective issues Super had were the rushed production and schedule. Naturally these will not be issues for Daima, for obvious reasons.

In terms of writing and setting, Daima will probably align with the first three arcs of Super and its two movies.

I expect some bleak scenery (like some kind of dark realm), but it will still be in the context of a whimsical and fun setting, a simple storyline that doesn't take itself too seriously. The Super formula, the winning formula.

AliTheZombie13
Beyond Newbie

Post by AliTheZombie13 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:17 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:05 pm The only objective issues Super had were the rushed production and schedule. Naturally these will not be issues for Daima, for obvious reasons.
Yes, if you disregard how every character regresses to a caricature, Beerus/Jaco/Zeno and many other characters introduced always having been there and known by other characters makes no sense, most of the plot being kicked off by sheer character stupidity and arrogance, the incredibly insufferable pacing where one single event takes about 15 episodes to finish, the inconsistent power-scaling, the ridiculous over-reliance on new transformations to solve problems, how every single arc feels completely inconsequential, or how "We won't defeat these guys with sheer power, we have to play it smart" often boils down to throwing more balls of light at them, Super is perfect!

And before you answer any of this with, "Well... DBZ did that too!"
That isn't an excuse. Dragon Ball needs to be better than this. And I sure hope Daima doesn't fall into the same pitfalls.