Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr Baggins
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:19 am

It's worth noting that the full color edition also has used a dull gray-blue and yellow for the base Saiyans' auras, though yellow is the one they use most frequently. It's not perfectly consistent. Shueisha's colorists are sometimes at odds with Toyotaro's own color choices as well, like with Piccolo's arm pads.

I don't think it means anything. At most, it's a misinterpretation by the colorist.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:41 pm

I also think it gotta be a miscoloring. The Base Saiyans’ aura is usually represented in a shade of golden yellow. This can be observed in various chapters, including flashbacks featuring Bardock.

An interesting case is that Gohan possesses this same color aura in all of his forms, with the exception being his Beast form. Similarly, Earthlings and Piccolo also exhibit the same golden yellow aura, except for Piccolo's Orange form.

Also, I was rereading Granolah’s arc and caught a miscoloring of Goku’s Ultra Instinct as if it was Ultra Ego.

Sometimes it happens.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:19 am

Thani wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:54 amThe manga just treats SSGSS as the "next stage" of Super Saiyan God, like SS2 and 3 are to the base SS. Beerus even calls it "just a mere power up from Super Saiyan God".
So I'm guessing they just trained for it. They kept the Super Saiyan God transformation and then trained to unlock the next level, which was Blue.
Damn it, they want to rob of the only good thing that form has going on for it. There is no problem with "it's the Super Saiyan form combined with the power of Super Saiyan God", which is much more interesting, concept-wise.

Oh well, thanks for answering. I didn't know this was the case for the manga continuity. Hopefully it doesn't stick around, though.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:43 pm

The fact is Beerus is the man and ain't no mortal near him.

Let it go people.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:34 am

Let it be known that I am the only person that has made Miracles concede in a strength debate. I am the ultimate Kanzenshuu member and should have been given some kind of special profile badge if there was any justice in this world

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:13 am

There's pretty much nothing any Saiyan can do if Beerus decides to use Hakai on them.

What is Broly going to do if Beerus decides to use Hakai on him? Tank it? It's not happening.

No one has ever tanked Hakai besides Anime Golden Frieza, which was the usual Toei wanking for the Villains.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:24 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:13 am There's pretty much nothing any Saiyan can do if Beerus decides to use Hakai on them.

What is Broly going to do if Beerus decides to use Hakai on him? Tank it? It's not happening.

No one has ever tanked Hakai besides Anime Golden Frieza, which was the usual Toei wanking for the Villains.
That was a very small Hakai.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:51 pm

The “turn into dust” version of the technique won’t work unless the target is immobilized or let the user lock on them. None is simply tanking that, like it’s not supposed to be tanked in the first place, much like Dabra’s saliva. Beerus had to grab Zamasu to not let him escape. In the anime, Goku even in his base form was able to trick Beerus to avoid being destroyed.

If anything, the “explosive” version is the more advanced and useful version in battles, as it has greater probability of hitting the target.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:42 pm

How strong are we granting current SS3 Gotenks? Assuming he scales similarly to his Boo arc self, he shouldn't even reach God Goku yet. Are we willing to grant the kids some leeway and assume the fusion boost gets bigger as they become adults? Even assuming so, I'd still wager they're below current ultimate Gohan/Blue level.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:07 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:42 pm How strong are we granting current SS3 Gotenks? Assuming he scales similarly to his Boo arc self, he shouldn't even reach God Goku yet. Are we willing to grant the kids some leeway and assume the fusion boost gets bigger as they become adults? Even assuming so, I'd still wager they're below current ultimate Gohan/Blue level.
They seemed to be ready to challenge Ultimate Gohan, so, perhaps, considering Gohan stated they had been training, they could be approaching that level with SS3, though I would say Ultimate Gohan would still have some advantage, like in Boo arc. They are basically at a similar spot in retrospect.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:10 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:42 pm How strong are we granting current SS3 Gotenks? Assuming he scales similarly to his Boo arc self, he shouldn't even reach God Goku yet. Are we willing to grant the kids some leeway and assume the fusion boost gets bigger as they become adults? Even assuming so, I'd still wager they're below current ultimate Gohan/Blue level.
Current SSJ3 Gotenks is likely relative to Ultimate Gohan and Piccolo imo. He should be able to put up a fight against the Gammas, but would probably lose on account of goofing off too much during the fight.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:20 pm

I just can't see current SS3 Gotenks being anywhere near SSB tier when he couldn't even beat base Copy Vegeta a few years before.

Even SSG tier feels like it's being way too generous.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:41 pm

What do you guys make of Broly vs Goten and Trunks?
Everything happened off-screen but that one panel has SS Broly not that confortable against the base teenagers.

Their teamwork can't be that good, SS Gohan was not having that much trouble against the SS heroes, so does that mean SS Broly's power diminished that much? from Beast level to SS level? thing is he didn't take that much of a beating in the first place, so is it a stamina issue?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:22 pm

I think the scenes following Gohan vs. Broly were made without the intent of faithfully represent real strength implications. It was intentionally conceived as a light moment, so that in the end all the Saiyans would have a great time.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:25 pm

Fair enough, Broly's face could be interpreted as "what are they even trying to do... ?"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 am

"From Beast level to SSJ level." Lol Broly was never on Beast Gohan's level. Broly didn't face Gohan at full power but with "some gas left in the tank."

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:48 am

Miracles wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 am "From Beast level to SSJ level." Lol Broly was never on Beast Gohan's level. Broly didn't face Gohan at full power but with "some gas left in the tank."
Considering that the process of Gohan using the maximum amount of power that he can use before going Berserk with Beast seems to have zapped his stamina, he surely was nowhere near full power when he fought SS Broly despite the fact he had the advantage. He was even lower when he fought PSSB(or SSBE) Vegeta. That much was obvious to most of us here.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:58 am

So where do people rank everyone right now? My list is currently:

1. Goten/Trunks (had Broly on the backfoot without transforming)
2. Goku/Vegeta/Broly
3. Beerus
4. Farmer with a shotgun
5. Gohan (full power berserk mode)

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 pm

Not that this needs explaining, but "gas left in the tank" is so vague it can mean anywhere from 20% to 90% stamina remaining. Goku asked a general question that was answered in the affirmative, and there's not a single thing implying that Gohan was particularly exhausted. It was a pretty even fight all around.

I do think he's the top Saiyan right now, but obviously not by much. I don't see him outright stomping any fighter on that planet outside of Goten and Trunks.

A more interesting question is how close they've gotten to Black Freeza's level, given that Goku and Vegeta have evidently improved since the previous arc.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:25 pm Fair enough, Broly's face could be interpreted as "what are they even trying to do... ?"
He might have found himself in some bit of difficulty against them, though, because it would be the first time he fight two guys with TRUE teamwork between them